Home
Posted By: Burleyboy Gold? - 06/17/21
Anyone else buying gold today? It's come back down a bit over the last few days. It's still pretty expensive but I'm going to roll the dice and pick up a little more today.

I've been having a hard time wanting to buy stocks since the sham election. I'm not sure where to put money but inflation is upon us and I'm not getting anything from money market accounts. I parked most of my retirement money at the first of the year and I've missed a little run up but I'm having a hard time jumping back into the markets.

I figure gold is more of an insurance policy than an investment so I don't buy a lot of it but I've picked up a bit more lately.

What are you investing in these days?

Bb
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Investing in the same things I have for the past 30 years. That’s a balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds, some mutual funds, some tax free munis and a little cash.
I’ve never tried to time the market and have rode out the peaks and valleys. So far that has worked very well. Never have invested in precious metals.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
After all is said and done, gold is still a zero-sum investment. Historically, it's returned less than half of the stock market. Yes, the market is high, but so is gold.

There are just times when returns are exceptionally good, and there are times where you just sit there and sit. And there is much, much less of the first than the second. But if you miss those few times there's a big run up, you've lost most of the market's appreciation.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/08/reasons-to-own-gold.asp
There’s a reason 10% is the recommended max in your portfolio.

Investing has changed. Things like PE ratios are thrown out the window. Until the correction comes , then it will be the buzz word until the next bubble.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
When the market bubble pops, there will be forced selling including gold. That’s when gold gets cheap. But I think we will be at 2500 gold by the end of 2022
Posted By: funshooter Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
All my money is going towards getting out of this Crap Hole I live in right now Commyfornia.
There is nothing left for me to invest in right now.
Being debt free is a great position to be in when the bubble pops.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by JeffP
Being debt free is a great position to be in when the bubble pops.

True that.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Anyone else buying gold today? It's come back down a bit over the last few days. It's still pretty expensive but I'm going to roll the dice and pick up a little more today.

I've been having a hard time wanting to buy stocks since the sham election. I'm not sure where to put money but inflation is upon us and I'm not getting anything from money market accounts. I parked most of my retirement money at the first of the year and I've missed a little run up but I'm having a hard time jumping back into the markets.

I figure gold is more of an insurance policy than an investment so I don't buy a lot of it but I've picked up a bit more lately.

Bb

Long term, it's only going up.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

If you invested heavily in gold ten years ago you would be a bit above even now

Is not a very good investment especially the past few years. Pick a reliable commodity stock that pays dividends like one of the mid stream stocks or a good mutual funds. Bonds might not be bad now too. buy on the down days. I have a feeling the market will be really volatile this summer between the fed, reddit stock manipulators and Biden's run away inflation
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by funshooter
All my money is going towards getting out of this Crap Hole I live in right now Commyfornia.
There is nothing left for me to invest in right now.

Well, you are saving for a good cause. Good luck.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Gold snd silver and mining
Posted By: centershot Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
Dumped my FSAGX yesterday.....looks like a good move currently.
What concerns me mostly with PMs is spot price manipulation. Ex., Silver went down to $12/14 per ounce. But nobody had in stock to sell. And those that did have stock, were selling significantly higher.
I think the reddit boys are on to something. I don’t see silver pulling GameStop numbers but there is much more going on.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
I don't even understand the market.

Spot gold price is $XXXX.
You can't buy at that, you go through a "dealer".
So you pay $XXXX.xx.

Then, when you sell, it's like a car.
The dealer says, "My car is worth moire than if you sell it".
Now, "Your" gold is discounted.

Add in rates of return, bad investment.

And if the world goes to poop?
How do you "spend" it?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
You don't, guns, ammo, and food will be the coin of the realm.
Actually if they don’t try to confiscate PMs again, silver eagles are barter of choice in “Great Depression “ type eras.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Gold? - 06/17/21

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Question??? If the world takes a crap? what are you stocks going to trade for ??? ZERO ??? Gold and Dirt Will never be worth nothing, but your stock will be worth ZERO!! Rio7
Posted By: jbmi Re: Gold? - 06/17/21
I have my regular investments, saving accounts, etc. but I do collect Moran Silver Dollars and Gold Double Eagles.
These are just something I enjoy having, to me it's like buying art, classic cars, or old guns. And when things get tough I can use them if needed, vs. trying to sell some old paintings, an old car, although my old guns will stay with me.
Gold and silver are good for hobbies, not great for investments.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Gold? - 06/18/21

My comment was made based on the SHTF, your saving and investments will have no value, your Morgan Sliver Dollars and Gold Double Eagles, and ammo and guns could save your ass, your other investments will be worthless.

Rio7
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
I realize that gold historically doesn't appreciate like some investments I'm just purchasing more as a store of value and as insurance. I'm heavy in cash right now and light in the stock market. I have quite a bit of silver but it gets hard to store and hard to transport.

I've got a local dealer selling me gold eagles, buffaloes, philharmonics, krugerrands, and maples for 6.5% over stock as they come in locally. That's not too bad of Premium right now so I'm adding a bit. Much of what i have I bought back when gold was $1200. I picked up several 1/10th ounce gold eagles today for much less than they are online.

I'm going to shoot for 15% of my assets in gold and silver. I was holding at 10%. I'm mostly debt free, house is paid off, student loans paid off, cars are paid off, we just owe a bit on a rental house we own. I have tge cash to pay the rental off but the mortgage is only 2.6% so I'm keeping the cash as dry powder in case a good investment comes along.

I dabbled in individual stocks a bit last year and made some good money but was too obsessed with watching the market. Before that I'd always just bought mutual funds and held them long term. I like the idea of dividend producing stocks and wish I would have bought more to hold last year but I was expecting a w bottom and so far it's just been a V.

Bb
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
In the 1800’s, a $20 gold piece would get you a tailored suit or a Colt revolver. It’ll pretty much do the same today.

A twenty dollar bill will not.

Gold and silver will never beat inflation, but is a decent hedge against it.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
same as always, coke and hooahs.

Tell us how? your investments work ? When the power goes off for 6 months to a year? or longer? it ain't called SHTF for nothing. Rio7
Posted By: Twopatch Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Once the government switches over to the "Fed Coin", and cash is fazed out I am thinking you will have wished you had more.

Twopatch, I agree,a wheel barrow load of cash won't buy you a loaf of bread. Rio7
Posted By: _B78_ Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Look fellas. This is the long and short of it. The Good Lord is out of the dirt makin buisness. It takes dirt to grow food. Your best investment is dirt. People that got oil and gas but cant grow need food. People that can build stuff need food. If you have land that can produce food enuff to feed you and yours plus some… your rich. That is your very best longterm investment.

Dirt and Water, are the best investments, you can make, a little Gold helps. Rio7
Posted By: centershot Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't even understand the market.

Spot gold price is $XXXX.
You can't buy at that, you go through a "dealer".
So you pay $XXXX.xx.

Then, when you sell, it's like a car.
The dealer says, "My car is worth moire than if you sell it".
Now, "Your" gold is discounted.

Add in rates of return, bad investment.

And if the world goes to poop?
How do you "spend" it?

If the world goes to poop, I'd rather have a sack full of silver than bitcoin.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Twopatch
Once the government switches over to the "Fed Coin", and cash is fazed out I am thinking you will have wished you had more.

I'm thinking Visa and Mastercard will be in trouble when everyone uses FedCoin for transactions.
One can only hope the banksters also get destroyed but that's probably asking for too much.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
I have 3.5 ounces, and really I doubt I’ll ever use it. I think Guns are better.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have 3.5 ounces, and really I doubt I’ll ever use it. I think Guns are better.

I have a lot of Lead with Brass skins at some point in time I think they may be more valuable than the Gold
Posted By: JeffP Re: Gold? - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

Dirt and Water, are the best investments, you can make, a little Gold helps. Rio7

Owning water worked out for Dwight and Steve Hammond
© 24hourcampfire