Home
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
so today I saw Gasoline at parity with Diesel...
I can't recall ever seeing that before.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
I recall the days when diesel was substantially less than gas.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Diesel was once about 50 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel. This was before the heavy duty pickup craze.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Cheaper diesel prices was the primary reason I purchased an 84 Chevy 6.2 3/4 ton. Within weeks of the purchase, diesel surpassed gas in price and has been higher almost continuously ever since.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Never has been a need to be more than a dollar a gallon, it is the damn politicians.
Posted By: greydog Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Cheaper diesel prices was the primary reason I purchased an 84 Chevy 6.2 3/4 ton. Within weeks of the purchase, diesel surpassed gas in price and has been higher almost continuously ever since.

Always wondered what caused this; now, I know. wink. GD
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Part of it is the requirement for ultra low sulphur in the diesel. More processing is needed. Back in the '70's we paid .25/gal for furnace oil. It was a cheap way to heat a house.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Taxes are higher on distillate fuels as well.
Posted By: las Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
It goes back and forth here, diesel/gas.. I think partially dependent on season due to heating fuel use.

What puzzles me is that Anchorage prices used to be 8-20 cents a gallon less than down here for either.

"It's the volume used" we were told. Anchorage is the major import hub - gasoline is, or used to be made down here..... but our prices were always higher, so it wasn't transportation costs. In fact, I've never seen a refining town where fuel prices were not higher than a few miles away.

I was in Anchorage Wednesday, and prices were all over the place, none less than the $3.05 for gasoline I paid last at a convenience store down here (Vitus) on the way home from Soldotna - the least of anywhere around. Locally.

Another 40 miles down the road is tiny little Ninilchik, where it is usually even less expensive, and never higher than here.. Perhaps property taxes have something to do with it, as well as city sales tax?

At Old Seward and Diamond in Anchorage , gas price was $3.50. A mile down Diamond at Costco, it was $3.05.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21

Gasoline and diesel prices vary a good bit here in my area. More than anything else, local competition seems to determine pump price within a given area, especially noticeable at same brand name convenience store/gas stations. Not uncommon for prices to vary as much as 20-25 cents a gallon at same brand stations just a few miles apart.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by las

"It's the volume used" we were told.

Capitalism.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
I can't figure out why a state like Wisconsin with it's high added fuel taxes sells gasoline at about the same price as here in Wyoming with a low fuel tax. WTF?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I can't figure out why a state like Wisconsin with it's high added fuel taxes sells gasoline at about the same price as here in Wyoming with a low fuel tax. WTF?

Capitalism?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Can you pump your own gas though?

LMAO
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Perhaps property taxes have something to do with it, as well as city sales tax?
It does.
Posted By: Teal Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

2.89 reg
3.59 premium
3.09 diesel

Here in WI

Fuel tax is 32.9 cpg in there.

Wyoming is 24 cpg so basically 9 cpg difference between the two. Could easily be covered by local taxes (city) or property taxes or even just transportation costs.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Fuel Prices oddity - 06/18/21
Here we have 2 large local chains - Jackson's, that owns a bunch of Shells, and United which owns the Sinclair stations. The prices at both are way high. I don't know what they do to sell gas but they're always busy. The Sinclairs are the only ones in town that sell non-al gas so I'm stuck with paying their high prices for that.
© 24hourcampfire