Home
Posted By: tikkanut Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/18/21

yep......there're gonna have a house cat for a quick meal....

Coyote would have done the same......

Where did these people move to Utah from ?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50189402/summit-county-woman-tries-to-save-family-cat-from-bobcat
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/18/21
Who the fugg leaves their family pet outside at night when predators are known to be IN YOUR BACKYARD?! Some people......
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/18/21
Makes good bait. But you had better be watching or you might lose the pet.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Who the fugg leaves their family pet outside at night when predators are known to be IN YOUR BACKYARD?! Some people......

Yep. Coyotes and Bobcats love house cats and lap dogs for dinner.

Wouldn’t leave my ole Kitty outside for no amount of money.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Foxes get a fair number of house cats hereabouts.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
I tried to kill one of the cats today but couldn't catch the bastard, he has been hiding ever since.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Foxes get a fair number of house cats hereabouts.

yea...my only neighbor 'had' a black cat.....

Haven't seen it for 2 weeks or so...

I'm sure fox or a 'yote grabbed it........

oh well....more bunnies & songbirds
Posted By: Remsen Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Last time I was at the old house in California, my brother visited with his German Shepherd (trained schutzhund). There's all sorts of wildlife in that neighborhood, from turkeys to deer to pigs to rabbits to etc. And with that comes mt lions, coyotes and other predators.

So we were letting the dog chase turkeys on the hillside when a neighbor came out, pissed off, telling us that he has a cat that likes to wander that same hillside and he didn't want the cat being attacked.

I looked at him and said "your cat's problem isn't going to be a trained, obedient dog, dude." Total blank stare in return.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

It makes me wish there were one in my neighborhood to get rid of the loose unspayed cats. I don't want to trap and shoot em because the cat lady across the road asked me nicely not to, but good grief.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

It makes me wish there were one in my neighborhood to get rid of the loose unspayed cats. I don't want to trap and shoot em because the cat lady across the road asked me nicely not to, but good grief.

Local vets do a free spay clinics.......

Otherwise....they may get hit with a lightning bolt around the farm here
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Local vets do a free spay clinics.......

Otherwise....they may get hit with a lightning bolt around the farm here

Thanks for the info.
I will let the lady know about that. Her cats spray that fresh country air with urine and ruin the.experience.
I'd take one good black snake over ten barn cats.
Posted By: fortymile Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Had a buddy who was at a family member's cabin near Price, UT for the weekend. When he got there, he discovered a cat had gotten into the cabin. He saw a flash of fur run into a bathroom. He cornered what he assumed was a feral house cat behind the toilet. Reached down to grab it, intending I guess to toss it out the door, only to discover it was actually a bobcat. His arms were fairly shredded by the time he got it loose. Bobcat ran off, and he had to get rabies shots. This was in the 80s when rabies shots were just slightly preferable to having rabies. He was in the Air Force so at least his medical care was covered, but he sure had some explaining to do to the First Sergeant and Commander when he got back to base.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never killed a fat Bobcat. Rio7
Posted By: longarm Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Wow! Rio that's an awesome pic
Sweet RIO7!

Did you actually get it.in hunt mode or is this going to be a double taxidermy?
I hope that's not your little girl's pet gerbel posing cute for the picture? 😁
I hope that's not your little girl's pet gerbel posing cute for the picture? 😁

Its Jim in Tennesse's
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by fortymile
Had a buddy who was at a family member's cabin near Price, UT for the weekend. When he got there, he discovered a cat had gotten into the cabin. He saw a flash of fur run into a bathroom. He cornered what he assumed was a feral house cat behind the toilet. Reached down to grab it, intending I guess to toss it out the door, only to discover it was actually a bobcat. His arms were fairly shredded by the time he got it loose. Bobcat ran off, and he had to get rabies shots. This was in the 80s when rabies shots were just slightly preferable to having rabies. He was in the Air Force so at least his medical care was covered, but he sure had some explaining to do to the First Sergeant and Commander when he got back to base.

That reminded me of that Jerry Clower Story

Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by fortymile

That reminded me of that Jerry Clower Story

“Shoot amongst us, cause one of us has GOT to get some RELIEF”

This cat was walking down the road, at about 200 yards going away from me,turned my Jeep hard right, and picked him off, don't use a 6.5 Creed with a 135 gr. A-Tip, not fur friendly, didn't see the Wood Rat till I drove up to him. Rio7
Same people that believe “undocumented workers” are just like us and won’t change a thing if allowed to flood the borders.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
I'm on the Bobcats side, loose cats should be done away with
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by RIO7

This cat was walking down the road, at about 200 yards going away from me,turned my Jeep hard right, and picked him off, don't use a 6.5 Creed with a 135 gr. A-Tip, not fur friendly, didn't see the Wood Rat till I drove up to him. Rio7

Lol. That's an awesome encounter.
How often has one been picked off as its picking off his own meal? I'd guess pretty rare. That might be a good posable taxidermy set if not for the big hole in its side. Perhaps a mount point, but too late now. Good quick snap shot!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
We loose a fair number of barn cats to owls and hawks.
Posted By: DMc Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
How do barn cats fare against snakes?
That's what I'm finding around my yard now.
Owl scat. It's hanging out in my little wildlife refuge near town. From the looks of the fur, it's leaving cats alone and going after small rabbits.

Tomorrow is mowing day. I'll have to watch where I step.
The country cat.lady needs something besides a predator although that's what it comes down to. She's snoopy like Mrs. Kravitz and I don't want to trap out her cats. It's because she's a long term neighbor and on decent terms. I'm going to try to work with her since she knows she has a problem. Her grown son won't help with this.
Originally Posted by DMc
How do barn cats fare against snakes?

I've not seen them interact, but if they weren't so lazy, they'd probably have the upper paw.
For mouse reduction, I like the black snakes. Nothing better to rid the perimeter of field mice and ground moles. I just have to be careful mowing and weed eating. At the farm that I worked at for 7 years+, the girls were allowed to "raise" cats. The stupid dairy cow was raised out of tradition for the old ladies sentimental feelings. The milk was good, but one of the know it all girls (gt nurse) was afraid of brucellosis after three generations of fresh milk. I've never seen pigs fed such a rich diet. Barn cats too.

Mice everywhere. They needed a couple snakes and opossums as farm hands.
How I wish that I left the gal for someone like this one when I had sense.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

Never killed a fat Bobcat. Rio7

A last meal,,,,not in a biblical kind of way.

đŸŠ«
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
I had a buddy whose house was flooded with little green garter snakes—only kind we have here. House sat right next to a very small creek and had a crawl space instead of a basement. He got a house cat—problem solved—that cat got very fat.
Posted By: poboy Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Her story would have been more interesting if she was top-less.

Caught this Cat killin a Turkey, in the front yard. Rio7
Posted By: johnw Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I've heard that divorce is hell...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hungry Bobcats....... - 06/19/21
We had a passel of barn cats.One was a Tom Maine Coon.He weighed 35 pounds and was not fat.One day I went to the barn to feed my Llamas and he was munching on an Owl.He would regular fight coons.He was around for about 6 years and then disappeared.I bet a Yote got him.
© 24hourcampfire