Home
Posted By: lawnman Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
So looking at these style campers. Yes they are small. Yes they can be pricey. Looking for something smaller and minimalist for camping 4 to 5 times a year out of state. Usually 6 to 8 hours away is where I care to go. I'm in Florida so u get it. Nucamp makes a nice little one with outdoor kitchen. This will be used solo by me for 3 or 4 day fish trips etc and also with my youngest son on long holiday weekend and summers. Pros and cons?
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
All the yuppies and libturds love them.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Minimalist camping is just that. Having a trailer of any kind takes minimalism to the next level so if you are a true minimalist you'll be happy as a tick on a hound with one.

I met an elk hunter one year that had been dropped off at a trailhead with a couple tarps and some very basic gear. It was pouring rain for days straight, he and all his gear was soaked, his foot had a nasty infection, he was low on food and his sleeping bag was wet and smelled really bad. He was waiting for his ride to return in a few days and pick him up. I offered to take him to the hospital for his foot but he declined. I left him some food and checked on him a couple times to make sure he didn't get worse until help could arrive. That guy was a minimalist.

All that to say, minimalism means different things to different people. Know yourself and your limits and choose accordingly.
Posted By: Slenk Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
My grandson in law just finished building his own . They have about $4500 in it so far.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
You have to go outside to change your mind. MTG
Originally Posted by Slenk
My grandson in law just finished building his own . They have about $4500 in it so far.

Be neat to see a photo or two of that!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Why not a used pop up camper ?
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

I’m about as hard core Mo-Fo you will EVER know, retired military and it follows my mantra of “High Speed- Low drag”. I camp, hunt, fish, hike and enjoy the outdoors EVERY day of my life since I retired.

I am an EXPERT with the T@G XL. I purchased an XL SE (stripped edition sans kitchen)

I can tell you the drawbacks of the T@G, fixes and tips if you are hardcore. I’ll be posting pics as the thread progresses.

So yes, chopper’s statement is correct to a big degree but I’ve taken it farther than they can and its addictive as hell.

You’ll have to discover what works for you in the end.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Before you drop big bucks on one, why not try to rent one for a few days and make sure that's really what you want to do.
Posted By: Masshunter Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Those little lightweights with single axel can be tough in high winds, sometimes you have to fill every tank with water just to hold them down
Before I post pics I’ll tell you things I’ve done.

I bought the PahaQue 5x7 side tent which has a portal that attaches to the rain gutter around the door, I purchased industrial velcro and had the ladies on base sew 9 patches around the portal and the sticky side to the trailer. This makes a better connection than the drawstring only during wind. I have a big-ass rubber mat for the tent and a mister buddy heats the heck out of the place.

I took the box fenders off and had steel frame mounted fenders with steps designed and built

I have Alps aluminum tables. I use a coleman 2 burner stove, installed a chuckbox on the tongue. I don’t like the maintenance or failure possibility of the kitchen and I don’t need a fridge, I’m an ice chest man.

I have a shower tent and hot water

I have an ecoflow lithium solar system for powering heater, ac, and Keurig coffee maker for the wife.

I installed a receiver hitch flag holder to the tongue frame for holding a patio umbrella.

I installed a small doghouse heater to the back wall that keeps air and condensation moving up and out in cold weather.

https://akomapetproducts.com/product/hound-heater-classic/

It sleeps better than a 5 star hotel. I also added 2” of foam under the factory mattress. #1, don’t use stiff memory foam because that stuff gets hard in cold weather. That extra 2” gives perfect flex to the factory set.

Also, for cold weather, two Cabela’s outfitter XL bags zipped together is an EXACT fit for the bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DBvbOHIqTU
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
I can rent a LOT of condos for the price of that little contraption..
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I initially bought it for a place to stay betwixed condos and cabins and in the event some family member died.

I keep it in the garage and its ready to roll on a moment notice.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Riverc Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Seen a few when i was working rv parks...For sleeping it's better than a tent.Some people like them i'm not one of them.It's too small and cramped for me.
Its a King sized bed on wheels if you get the 6’ wide

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Just me, but I would rather a tent than one of the miniature trailer, camper wanna be.

Better yet a pickup and slide in camper. You can do biscuits and gravy inside while it is pouring rain. And often they have a self contained toilet so you don't have to dig a latrine or do your business behind a bush where some dog or kid will get into it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Just think of all the money you're not spending on scotch. grin
This is how it looks now with the goodyears and new frame mounted fenders

Tent at door from inside with Velcro patches

You can get a 10x10 tent too but I can do biscuits & gravy in my side tent while its raining or snowing freezing temps in my underwear and can take a crap in my folding hospital bedside toilet whilst I’m folding my eggs.

Don’t let folk discourage you.

Another tip, if its hot as hell and you are parked in full sun and wanna run the A/c, throw a big silver tarp over her to keep the sun off of it.

I would not attempt to buy one right now until inventory is WAY back up and they have to cut deals.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
I wound up with the attitude - give me the solid basics with least initial outlay and ease of use - when I am hunting or just roaming the wild I don't want equipment issues, and don't ever want to worry about dings and scratches. So, the best for that was/is a well-built used tent trailer - pop up to some. Even when i had to finally collapse it while still wet and put it up to dry at a later time/place.

If you are more for travel and comfortable camping, more and nicer stuff probably will apply. The teardrop design is nice "aerodynamically" (if that matters) and compact (maybe better for vehicles that can't easily pull very much) but others above have pointed out the shortcomings.

When outdoors is the draw and primary target, then usable space, no complexity and strength/durability rise in value.

Different goals lead to different solutions.
Posted By: krp Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
I could see it if you just had a car to pull it.

Kent
Originally Posted by CCCC
I wound up with the attitude - give me the solid basics with least initial outlay and ease of use - when I am hunting or just roaming the wild I don't want equipment issues, and don't ever want to worry about dings and scratches. So, the best for that as/is a well-built used tent trailer - pop up to some. Even when i had to finally collapse it while still wet and put it up to dry at a later time/place.

If you are more for travel and comfortable camping, more and nicer stuff probably will apply. The teardrop design is nice "aerodynamically" (if that matters) and compact (maybe better for vehicles that can't easily pull very much) but others above have pointed out the shortcomings.

When outdoors is the draw and primary target, then usable space, no complexity and strength/durability rise in value.

Different goals lead to different solutions.

My cousin bought one some years ago, did some needed repairs then he made it into what you’re talking about.

He added support to the frame, extended the tongue and added a large waterproof storage box, raised the body, added an extra leaf spring and put on larger 6 ply tires.

His follows wherever his Jeep goes. Sort of all terrain.

Beefed up the back bumper and added a receiver hitch to it and a sturdy frame for his small generator. He has aircon when hot and heat when it’s cold . Packs his canoe on top.

Added a vestibule room outside that connects to it like Johnny Loco has. He had less than 2500$ in it including the generator.
It really is different strokes for different folk, stages or life, and intended usage.

I have full sized stationery trailers I utilize at hunting camps.
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Lucy & Ricky trailers
Hey Jack, I have other water options but High speed low drag simple works too.

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
It really is different strokes for different folk, stages or life, and intended usage.

That’s a fine, well thought out and executed rig you’ve got there.
Very nice.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Very nice.

Thanks, its about using it and figuring what works for you. I can deploy tents, side tents, umbrella or nothing at all depending on circumstance.

I even worked out the middle of the night in trailer pisses for male and female if you don’t wanna go in the side or potty tent.

I use a Camelbak 64 ounce plastic bottle and the wife uses this device attached to tubing going through the floor and out the trailer.

https://i.postimg.cc/GhZDvLts/6-EBF3-DEE-3-FEF-456-B-8-DC9-D8-CD427-E2632.jpg
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Very nice.

Thanks, its about using it and figuring what works for you. I can deploy tents, side tents, umbrella or nothing at all depending on circumstance.

I even worked out the middle of the night in trailer pisses for male and female if you don’t wanna go in the side or potty tent.

I use a Camelbak 64 ounce plastic bottle and the wife uses this device attached to tubing going through the floor and out the trailer.

https://i.postimg.cc/GhZDvLts/6-EBF3-DEE-3-FEF-456-B-8-DC9-D8-CD427-E2632.jpg

Those will work !
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21

Have one ordered & picking up on July 9th....

Not your average teardrop....I completely spec'd it out how I wanted it....yes solar

Currently base base price is $20K then + your desired options

This is N O T a Scamp................

24" ground clearance---optional suspention....my tire wheel choice...

Tires are LT265-75x16 Cooper ST Maxx on Vision wheels

Articulating hitch...rotates 360* if needed...... grin (option)

Built in Coalville Utah.....currently 13 month lead time...ours was 12 month almost to date

Again....not everyone's cup of tea......I will not park this in any fuggin KOA.......

Where ever my Lexus LX 470 goes this will follow

I'm not a Hippie or Yuppie....a minimalist...doing more with less.....

Look out Olson & Conrad...headed to Montana in September

https://escapod.us/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The reason I prefer conversion trailers is because they don’t make anything that works for me. Everything ends up being a project.

I like to order an insulated WellsCargo with RV windows and doors with vents, then go to town. They last frickin forever too.

Posted By: pal Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
I've camped out of a 1958 18' Airstream trailer, from Baja to BC. And have lived in boats and travel trailers half of my 77 years. Small boats and trailers are the most fun. And a single guy just doesn't need much to be comfortable. An 18' Airstream is not much of a burden to tow and is a lot more comfortable than a teardrop.
The reason I prefer conversion trailers is because they don’t make anything that works for me. Everything ends up being a project.

I like to order an insulated WellsCargo with RV windows and doors with vents, then go to town. They last frickin forever too.

very good choice

looked at that option......but went where I went
They can sit at camp year after year and they just don’t deteriorate, tuff as nails on the road too.
Originally Posted by pal
I've camped out of a 1958 18' Airstream trailer, from Baja to BC. And have lived in boats and travel trailers half of my 77 years. Small boats and trailers are the most fun. And a single guy just doesn't need much to be comfortable. An 18' Airstream is not much of a burden to tow and is a lot more comfortable than a teardrop.

pull UR Airstream here ?

Prob not.....

no KOA drop boxes here

or barking fuggin dogs.......only coyotes

Really enjoying this thread and hearing everyone's ideas. Lots of good information.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Really enjoying this thread and hearing everyone's ideas. Lots of good information.

Dang it, now it’s jinxed!

again....

a $20K plus teardrop is not everyone's cup of tea

Remember it's custom built from the ground up.......

Not mass produced & thrown together in an Indiana factory

pics to follow on first Utah Unita Mountain adventure

Seriously...12 month wait ?

Really hope not to be disappointed

Conrad & Olson.......get the grill fired up !
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
I looked into teardrops a few years ago.

My neighbor bought one. She and her BF set it up for an extended cross-country trip .. Oregon to Florida and back, national parks, etc. I got to check it out while I helped them a bit. The bed is too small for me, 6 foot long sleeping space. I'm 5'9". That puts my head against one end and I can't stretch my toes out 'cause of the other end. The door was pretty low, kind of a pain to get in and out, and you'd need a wall tent for getting into and out of wet hunting clothes. The open rear kitchen area is interesting but in foul weather you'd need a tent over it.

In my mind they're last in line for choices. I would choose a slide-in camper, big pickup shell / canopy, or a tent before a trailer and if I picked a trailer it would be an A-frame hard sided pop up, not a teardrop and not one with a cloth / canvas upper section.

The only plus as I see it to the teardrop would be a situation where, like my neighbor, you had a very small, low powered vehicle. She had a 4-banger Rav 4 and that's about all it would pull.
Posted By: redjones Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Rented this in Denver for a Antelope hunt in N.M. it was pretty nice,AC,heat, shower,nice cooking area etc.
But this one is made in Indiana,12' long,decent ground clearance,I would not have a problem buying one of these if I was only using it for a few trips a year.
Its called a Sunray,they have a few different models.
If you look online there are tons of reviews and hacks for this type of trailer.

Greg

Attached picture Resized_2-2.jpg

thought of a slide in camper for my Chebby 2500HD

Truck was not suited for where I wanted to be.....

thus the off road tear drop option........short wheel base Lexus LX

Will keep you posted after my final purchase July 9th

Also a nice 6' slide in is $30K
Posted By: hookeye Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Im lookin at teardrop, reg and even jumpinjack tent trailer.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Im lookin at teardrop, reg and even jumpinjack tent trailer.

have a budget in mind ?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/21/21
Tow behind SUV.
1 to 3 people.

Fam thought jumpin jack was fine.
Id like a hot shower and maybe prefer self contained.

Im a cheap bastard. So lookin for deal new or used.
Can build too.

Wrong time to be looking LOL.

When ecomomy crashes again......
Posted By: CCCC Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
When the 4 girls were young and we wanted to do some "see the whole US" travels, in 1971 bought a 4 year old Dodge 4 door pickup (crew cab?) with 8ft. bed for about $1200. Then got a big used Red Dale (CO) slide in camper (hung about 12" past the bed) for another $1200 or so, put some heavy load rated 16" tires on the thing and we were set.

Kids all slept in the queen over cab and we on the table conversion. Had all nice appliances and small bathroom (holding tank was WAY to small for that crew). Took out the rear window of the cab, cut a same size hole in the camper front and put in a nauga boot - all 6 of us could ride in the cab if we wanted (cab had a/c), but the kids scooted back and forth between cab and camper all the time. We had about 5k in it and it was a great value. Good times - few worries - big adventures. Where have those days and those prices gone?
Posted By: krp Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Have one ordered & picking up on July 9th....

Not your average teardrop....I completely spec'd it out how I wanted it....yes solar

Currently base base price is $20K then + your desired options

This is N O T a Scamp................

24" ground clearance---optional suspention....my tire wheel choice...

Tires are LT265-75x16 Cooper ST Maxx on Vision wheels

Articulating hitch...rotates 360* if needed...... grin (option)

Built in Coalville Utah.....currently 13 month lead time...ours was 12 month almost to date

Again....not everyone's cup of tea......I will not park this in any fuggin KOA.......

Where ever my Lexus LX 470 goes this will follow

I'm not a Hippie or Yuppie....a minimalist...doing more with less.....

Look out Olson & Conrad...headed to Montana in September

https://escapod.us/

You need one of those rooftop tent thingys on the 470... look all baja... I was looking at some 470s, LX and GX last year. But found a 2005 Chevy single cab short bed 4.8 4x4 with only 72000 miles, it'll get me there, couldn't pass it up.

Kent
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
If you are looking for high speed low drag with a trailer that works even on regular trips.

A high truck topper with rear door or Kodiak truck tent

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/canvas-truck-tent-mid-sized-estimated-restock-date-jul-28th-2021/

Then, configure a small trailer as bathroom and shower to haul behind. You can haul this anywhere even non-camp trips and its better than looking for a bathroom.

The wife and I really don’t do much summertime camping except high altitude where its cold. In summertime, outside yes, and cabins yes. Luckily I have a bunch of military secret spots and options for lodging.

Its nice to have a little 5k Btu A/c for a tight spot, draws about 450 watts. Otherwise, an A/C for camping is lost on me.

Oh yeah, don’t leave your big bags of peanut M&M’s out for the bears because they will get them. And, fox urine sprayed around camp and Zatarain’s Cayenne pepper sprinkled around will keep the critters away.

Teardrops to my understanding are uniquely American from the depression days and maybe even from covered wagon days, the chuckbox was from the Goodnight/Loving cattle drives. Kinda like having a Leveraction rifle.

Threads like this will show you who the real snowflakes are though, its CAMPING man !
Posted By: pal Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
[...pull UR Airstream here ?

Prob not.....

You serious?

That Airstream lived for dirt roads, with its single axle. Think I paid $1800 for it over 4 decades ago. Took it as far as Bella Coola, BC, fishing remote spots along the way. And the Baja roads were pretty rough too in those days..
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Those little lightweights with single axel can be tough in high winds, sometimes you have to fill every tank with water just to hold them down

This is also false. First, I’ve camped in it in storms with winds hitting 75mph. I left it hooked to the truck…awesome sleep ! The wind did drive a tiny bit of rain through the seals on the rear hatch but not much.

Second, I drove through a dust storm from Hell last year in 35mph steady wind with gust to about 50mph from Roswell NM to Big Spring Texas. You couldn’t see crap but you never knew the trailer was there !

I won’t knock an airstream but it boils down to this, if it doesn’t have about a King sized bed (for a couple), I ain’t using it. I do have one conversion trailer with a twin XL but thats fine for just me. When airstream inventory gets back to overstock status and I figure how to enlarge the bed on the basecamp, I’m in for one.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
I've got several tents that rival these 5 figure rigs.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I love tents but The wife and I had an unfortunate incident while remote camping and the guy turned out to be…Gary Michael Hilton

If I woulda killed him like I wanted instead of listening to my wife’s reasoning, the world woulda been better off.

Hardshell for me or stay at the house !

Its also why I have one of these 3d printed pistol/mag racks mounted in each camper and a Beretta 1301.

And, if you didn’t pack it, don’t drink, eat, or smoke from strangers.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Nice little campers.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21

I love tents but The wife and I had an unfortunate incident while remote camping and the guy turned out to be…Gary Michael Hilton

If I woulda killed him like I wanted instead of listening to my wife’s reasoning, the world woulda been better off.

Its also why I have one of these 3d printed pistol/mag racks mounted in each camper and a Beretta 1301.

That's a hell of a story!
Posted By: DMc Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Fun thread!
Posted By: hitandmiss Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
I have a 6x12 cargo trailer that i use. Has a raised platform with a queen mattress for sleeping, all the gear fits under the bed. Has an outdoor shower with a on demand hot water heater, one large sink, and a 2 burner stove with decent sized counter space under counter storage. LED lights and insulated. Great stereo system, TV and DVD player, 2 deep cycle batteries and 2 propane bottles. Small and light enough to go most anywhere. In the summer we will make a patio with the rear door and sleep off the ground but under the stars.
While not everyones cup of tea it works great for 2-3 days for 4 folks. My youngest boy and i hauled it from AZ to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico for 3 weeks camping and fishing where and when we wanted and had an absolute blast. My favorite thing is that the camping gear is secure and out of sight.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21

the AC in an insulated is probably more effective than on a popup?
I guess popups have zip in windows as an option, but all the onrs I have seen are screened. but I saw one with an AC unit on the roof last week being towed.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21

I saw a lot of them when I worked at the Shell and every one that I queried were pleased with their purchase...they certainly have their niche.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by MTGunner

You also have to fight the bugs for the food in that outdoor kitchen, No thanks, Just get a small enclosed trailer and convert it.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by MTGunner

You also have to fight the bugs for the food in that outdoor kitchen, No thanks, Just get a small enclosed trailer and convert it.

I bought a new 7x14 ez hauler double axle cargo trailer....am going to build a basic style....comfort but minimalistic...

named it project sub zero...corny but is being built with winter hunting in mind....bob
Posted By: LFC Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

Can you even stand up in one ?
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
If your going to trailer tough small light and good ground clearance. Very little of the big manufacturers stuff holds up well. I have had to fix all kinds of broken suspension items and re weld frame components just from going carefully and slowly down dirt roads. These are not extreme off roading either. More like roads that in my 4x4 truck alone I could go 20 comfortably.
This does not even consider how the house part comes apart.

I have also had trailer blow outs and my last trailer had to replace the brakes. I would do a small cargo trailer and customize the running gear.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Many of those things have the wheels and fenders on the outside. That wastes a lot of space. Simply moving the sides out to the outside of the wheels give you almost 2 more feet of width inside while keeping it tracking the same.

The top one is almost 2' narrower inside but the overall width is about the same.
[Linked Image from overlandtrailer.com]

[Linked Image from roamingtimes.com]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
[
Threads like this will show you who the real snowflakes are.... !

Ya well, its like Qui Gon Jinn said; there's always a bigger fish.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: LFC Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by pal

pull UR Airstream here ?

Prob not.....

no KOA drop boxes here

or barking fuggin dogs.......only coyotes

Airstreams traveled across Africa and Mexico/Central America....that should be like a walk in the park.
For you DIY guys who'd like to build your own--- 15 years ago I built a 6x10 utility trailer. I wanted it to track with my pickup but I also didn't want inside wheel wells to take up space. I got around that by using tandem 2000lb axles and 12" tires, all fully under the trailer. The bed is only 22" off the ground so it's low enough to load easily. It weighs about 1100lb so I have a max payload of almost 3000lb. 12" tires don't last as long as larger ones but in 15 years I'm only on my 2d set of them. Load range D tires have a max load of over 1300lb so the tire weight rating is more than the axles. 2k axles aren't very heavy at all. The extra axle with springs, brakes, and tires adds less than 150lb to the total weight and maybe $200 to the total cost (maybe $300 post covid). Since it only weighs 1100, it pulls very well behind a small car. The floor is 2x6's and the main frame is 2x4 square tubing and a 3x3 tongue. If this was a camper, lighter weight materials could reduce the weight to compensate for the added weight of walls and a roof. I made the tongue long to make it easy to back. Those short tongues can be a real bitch to back up.

We would like to have a camper to pull behind our Toyota Highlander. I've considered building a slide in camper that will sit on the floor of this trailer, like a pickup camper. All the sides come off so I have a 6x10 floor to set it on. Like a pickup camper, this wouldn't need to be licensed. You only have the cost of a utility trailer license.

this photo is a bit of an illusion. The top frame that holds the floor and sides extends out to the outside of the tires.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

the AC in an insulated is probably more effective than on a popup?
I guess popups have zip in windows as an option, but all the onrs I have seen are screened. but I saw one with an AC unit on the roof last week being towed.

I think the key to A/C in the end is keeping the sun off the trailer. when it comes to heating, a mr buddy in a tent is the warmest
Roof RV a/c's are handy and out of the way but they sure aren't the cheapest or most reliable. If you have a way to install a home window type a/c, you can save a lot of money and need less power to run it. There's a lot of info on the web about how to install one. If it's on a side wall, you likely need a way to pull it inside while traveling because of the added width.
For heating, we have an old 23' trailer. The stock heater died many years ago. I've been using a Big Buddy heater that I plumbed right into the propane line. It's kept the trailer livable down in the low teens. However, it does dump a LOT of water in the air so the windows get wet when it's cold. There's no fix for that other than ventilation and that brings in more cold air so the heater runs more and puts out more water which needs more ventilation.....
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
This thread makes me laugh. I think a lot of this is status and looks. Same with the roof top tents. I say those are for people afraid of getting eaten by bears. I spend 30+ nights a year camping from the remotest parts of the nevada high desert. To Idaho and Utah. A trailer will never go where I need it to, plus it’s a total waste. I camp to get away from people. Using some sort of trailer most likely means just camping by other people. These tear drops and roof top units you can’t stand up in. I normally need to take a piss at night. Not fun trying to get out to do that.

A kodiak tent or spring bar tent is all most people need. I can set up mine in around 5 minutes. I normally just don’t go if the weather is terrible. Cold isn’t an issue because I just run a buddy heater going to bed and when I want to wake up.

There is only one situation i would prefer a camper trailer. And not a tear drop! But a full size travel trailer. Hunting from a fixed area in bad weather. Such as drawing a limited entry tag. This allows me to warm up and hang out while the storms pass . A large wall tent is just as good for that. Maybe better because you can run a wood burning stove.

Those are very limited uses. 95% of what I do and most others need can be done with a spring bar or kodiak.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by lawnman
So looking at these style campers. Yes they are small. Yes they can be pricey. Looking for something smaller and minimalist for camping 4 to 5 times a year out of state. Usually 6 to 8 hours away is where I care to go. I'm in Florida so u get it. Nucamp makes a nice little one with outdoor kitchen. This will be used solo by me for 3 or 4 day fish trips etc and also with my youngest son on long holiday weekend and summers. Pros and cons?

You can keep them.

I like to stand up to put my pants on.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
you can add one of those little woodstoves to most any camper/trailer...... sheepherders been doing it forever.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/cub-cb-108/products/cb-1008-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove
If i do a trailer again it’s going to be a cargo trailer that I add some bunks in and a couple windows. Some here have suggested that. That would be so I can haul my rhino and atv stuff in. It’s doesn’t need to be extremely posh inside.
Posted By: shaman Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
I have never been attracted to teardrops, but then I'm a walking landform. I've done just about every other method out there instead.

I'm not big on camping below 32F. I've done it. I've hunted out of a Eureka Timberline with a vestibule down in the Teens, but I'm in my 60's now-- probably won't do it again. That Eureka Timberline 4-man is still going strong after 35 years. I can still set it up in total darkness -- probably still in 5 minutes.

What I've found that works for me mostly is a pickup with a cap that will fit me. If the weather is warm, I'll camp in the tent. If it gets cold, I'll move into the back of the truck. I can heat the back of the truck with a small electric heater. The back of the truck will take a vast amount of gear-- more than I need. I've done it that way for decades. My first truck was Wife 1.0's F150 shortbed. Since I kicked Satan out, I've had a Blazer, an S-10, and now a Silverado. They all worked. The back of the Silverado is luxurious. The one thing to remember is that you need insulation on the bed.

If I were camping seriously, I'd try a lot of options before I hung a little trailer on the back.
Very good thread - thanks. There are some very skilled and inventive guys on here. Pretty much doing your own -nice work.

As ever, for some it is the showy aspect - next big thing - conveniences, new stuff, driving on pavement, etc. All good in that realm.

For those who go through rough and deep into difficult access, strength and function rule.

Slice of life - concepts not new - but talent dies shine for some of you guys.
Very good thread - thanks. There are some very skilled and inventive guys on here. Pretty much doing your own -nice work.

As ever, for some it is the showy aspect - next big thing - conveniences, new stuff, driving on pavement, etc. All good in that realm.

For those who go through rough and deep into difficult access, strength and function rule.

Slice of life - concepts not new - but talent dies shine for some of you guys.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
If i do a trailer again it’s going to be a cargo trailer that I add some bunks in and a couple windows. Some here have suggested that. That would be so I can haul my rhino and atv stuff in. It’s doesn’t need to be extremely posh inside.

RIO7 has made himself a rig something like this (but, no windows as I remember) and it is well done. Just right for his needs - and a welcomed sight.
Posted By: ckat Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
I have a 6x12 cargo trailer that i use. Has a raised platform with a queen mattress for sleeping, all the gear fits under the bed. Has an outdoor shower with a on demand hot water heater, one large sink, and a 2 burner stove with decent sized counter space under counter storage. LED lights and insulated. Great stereo system, TV and DVD player, 2 deep cycle batteries and 2 propane bottles. Small and light enough to go most anywhere. In the summer we will make a patio with the rear door and sleep off the ground but under the stars.
While not everyones cup of tea it works great for 2-3 days for 4 folks. My youngest boy and i hauled it from AZ to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico for 3 weeks camping and fishing where and when we wanted and had an absolute blast. My favorite thing is that the camping gear is secure and out of sight.

Dad rigged up a small 5x8 enclosed trailer for solo “camping” several years ago. To me, this route has far more pros than cons. Easy, light, inexpensive. Gear stays secure and dry while traveling. Lock stuff up during the day while you are gone. The customization options are endless as you are starting with an empty shell.

It is definitely the route I would take to meet the OP’s needs and desires.
Originally Posted by ckat

Dad rigged up a small 5x8 enclosed trailer for solo “camping” several years ago. To me, this route has far more pros than cons. Easy, light, inexpensive. Gear stays secure and dry while traveling. Lock stuff up during the day while you are gone. The customization options are endless as you are starting with an empty shell.

plus you could haul ATV's and UTV's in there without buying a toy hauler. AND you could store them in there when parked at your house also out of the weather. that is the main draw for me. I am running out of garage space.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Hey Jack, I have other water options but High speed low drag simple works too.

I like that sprayer. Where did you get it?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by ckat

plus you could haul ATV's and UTV's in there without buying a toy hauler. AND you could store them in there when parked at your house also out of the weather. that is the main draw for me. I am running out of garage space.

I have been looking at builds on u toob for this exact purpose. Far more economical and in most cases more rugged than the toy haulers. I do have a guy that can fabricate anything and would enjoy the process.

mike r
On the sprayer from last page question. Either Lowes or Home Depot, spend a few bucks more for the better sprayer. The hose matches the kitchen sprayer diameter too for the splice.

Great thing about this subject is one can do what he wants, make changes at will, or stay in a hotel.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
I got to check out a couple pretty cool teardrops this year already. If you need a hardside that you can tow with a small SUV, they seem a decent solution.

The only drawback was putting up the vestibule and latrine tents. The vestibule seemed mandatory, as the entire inside is your bed.

I wouldn’t drag one much farther up the trail than a 20-22’ camper, and not nearly as far as I will drive in and set up a tent or sleep in the rig.

Kinda between a spike camp and a base camp.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
I have a 15 foot regular trailer that has a slide out. Has queen bed and sleeper bed, refrigerator, microwave, shower, toilet, stove and sink. For 2 people it is comfortable.
Probably the minimum size I would want. The slide out makes it bearable as far as size. I think I paid 10 0r 11K, and it was used one trip, and was 2 years old. I think it is 4000 pounds or so. Easy to tow with 4.0L 4runner.
Those little ones are too inconvenient for me.
Posted By: Raspy Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a 15 foot regular trailer that has a slide out. Has queen bed and sleeper bed, refrigerator, microwave, shower, toilet, stove and sink. For 2 people it is comfortable.
Probably the minimum size I would want. The slide out makes it bearable as far as size. I think I paid 10 0r 11K, and it was used one trip, and was 2 years old. I think it is 4000 pounds or so. Easy to tow with 4.0L 4runner.
Those little ones are too inconvenient for me.

Do you happen to know the name of the 15 footer?
Posted By: Terryk Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Look like they only have a 18 footer listed now. I would only get one with a slide out, for some walking room.

https://www.palominorv.com/travel-trailers/palomini
Some folk are snowflak-ish about where they chit, I just chit.

Cup of coffee

Chit

Good night sleep

A Coleman camp stove because I cook outside anyway so my trailer doesn’t smell like food

Hot shower
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21

I take a shovel when I schidt....simple....

My teardrop from Coalville Utah goes in production this week

Pics for those interested coming sooon......

12 months......blame Covid19 for everything
Sure, post them pics
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/22/21
Sure, post them pics

again a $20K+ teardrop is not everyone's cup of tea....

even living in Podunk.......

I don't have to go far to 'get away from it all'

hell I could park it in the back yard.......

Posted By: hitandmiss Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Looks alot like the area around Kanab, just guessing north of Mount Carmel Junction......the youngest boy drew the late deer hunt, Zion, for the 3rd time. Will probably camp on Yellowjacket again but do some hunting on Mineral. Hope it gets cold and snows on Cedar, last year was horrible for anything bigger than a forky.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Sure, post them pics

again a $20K+ teardrop is not everyone's cup of tea....

even living in Podunk.......

I don't have to go far to 'get away from it all'

hell I could park it in the back yard.......

The tear drops are too tree hugger. Tikka what’s next a Subaru?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Tent, or cabin.
Posted By: Fishnnut1 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Wife and myself opted on building our own . 20x8.5 Kaufman with v nose.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture hauler 6.jpg

Started out like this

[Linked Image]

Attached picture hauler 2.jpg
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by pal

i bought a used terry 19footer a 75 or so year built years ago.
i use it a couple of times a year.
but it has a built in pottie,shower,a/c and furnance
i reversed the springs on it to give it a little more clearance.
contrary to popular opinion, it gets cold in arizona.
i don't get cold in that trailer and it's not hard to pull.

Before the build started. I completely insulated the walls and ceiling. I will be insulating under the floor later.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture hauler 8.jpg
Attached picture hauler 7.jpg
kreg tools can make a man a cabinet maker! HAHA!

[Linked Image]

Attached picture hauler 9.jpg
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Fishnut, Looking at the inside I’d say we are next of kin. Hang some antlers, hats, and a gunrack we might be brothers. You should insulate those inside fender wells if you are gonna do cold weather. Those things conduct cold all too well. You can install a full sized shower in there looks like. They make great stationary hunting cabins. Most folk don’t realize how much creature comfort living space you can have by configuring it “your way”.

I think teardrops get a bad rap because they are used so much by tree huggers and dog lovers. I get approached by these types drawn to the trailer but being pulled by a GMC with Jesus, Flag, and firearm stickers drives them off quickly. I am very inhospitable when camping.

Hell, I use a collapsible fishing rod most of the time and I catch all kinds of fish. High speed low drag and the fact I’ve mastered it is my draw to the teardrop. Its funny because I pull up where I want, get out and open a beer, and I’m fully deployed tents and all before some folk can even position their RV whilst bitching and moaning, and fighting with a spotter.
JohnnyLoco, The pics I have now don't show the shower or the composting toilet. I have a 25 gal water tank with a 12 volt pump and a 30 amp service that feeds 120 volt needs and runs a converter to charge my batteries Insulating the wheel wells are on the list when I insulate the floor.. I will get more pics tomorrow and I do have a nice 8 point mount to hang on the wall.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
When I built my cargo camper I got most of my info from tiny trailers
Quick fix is to use those self adhesive carpet squares
Posted By: pal Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Though all my old photos are long gone, this is what my 1958 Airstream 18' trailer looked like. Truly a go-anywhere my old truck would go machine.

Posted By: BobMt Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you can add one of those little woodstoves to most any camper/trailer...... sheepherders been doing it forever.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/cub-cb-108/products/cb-1008-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove

I looked really hard at one of those neat little units.....but am going with a Dickerson marine propane unit....either way would serve someone well......bob
Posted By: BobMt Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by sactoller
When I built my cargo camper I got most of my info from tiny trailers

lots of good info there....good to go through alot of builds and cherry pick what works best for you......bob
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21

Bought my little trailer about 25 years ago to haul furniture, don;t remember what i paid for it, but we hauled every thing that would fit in it, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, dirt bikes, clay bird machines, clay birds, cases of shotgun ammo, it's been on the East coast West coast, and to Canada, hauling some thing? For the ranch, when i talked to Ken Howell, about coming to the first gathering in New Mexico, i realized i needed a camper of some kind, and it was just sitting in the barn gathering dust, i drug it out and made a camper out of it, nothing fancy but warm and dry, i built storage and a gun cabinet front,bought a big cot and a bed roll, I use it once a year to go to N.M. the gatherings, I am 82 years old, and My idea of camping out is the Holiday Inn. Rio7
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Little stove I built for my 10' cargo trailer that I use for camping and hauling the four wheeler.

Posted By: JOG Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Threads like this will show you who the real snowflakes are.... !

Ya well, its like Qui Gon Jinn said; there's always a bigger fish.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

You win.
Cool heaters
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Teardrop camper? - 06/23/21
TC teardrops...Check out the ORV model...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21

Let the flames begin.........

picked up our custom teardrop last Friday......

Built in Coalville Utah

One year wait/lead time to the day......

Options added......solar panel...dual 6V battery pack...inverter...my 16" tire/wheel pkg (Cooper ST Maxx)

Hot water/shower.....off road suspension (22" ground clearance) Maxx Coupler articulating hitch....

Propane heater.....Dometic 12V/110AC fridge .......electric brakes....2 burner stove...etc

Spent the first two nights in the Unita Mountains here in Utah

All is well......after I got the batteries up to 100%

No I do not own a Subaru.......an '03 Lexus LX 470

Had a Moose walk through camp day 2

No this is not every one's cup of tea.........

Especially when U take a hot shower in front of God & all of nature--- grin

Pulls very well across Utah's high elevation hills........

(articulating hitch not shown)

Posted By: Whitebird Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21

Let the flames begin.........

picked up our custom teardrop last Friday......

Built in Coalville Utah

One year wait/lead time to the day......

Options added......solar panel...dual 6V battery pack...inverter...my 16" tire/wheel pkg (Cooper ST Maxx)

Hot water/shower.....off road suspension (22" ground clearance) Maxx Coupler articulating hitch....

Propane heater.....Dometic 12V/110AC fridge .......electric brakes....2 burner stove...etc

Spent the first two nights in the Unita Mountains here in Utah

All is well......after I got the batteries up to 100%

No I do not own a Subaru.......an '03 Lexus LX 470

Had a Moose walk through camp day 2

No this is not every one's cup of tea.........

Especially when U take a hot shower in front of God & all of nature--- grin

Pulls very well across Utah's high elevation hills........

(articulating hitch not shown)

Really nice!
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
This place has some nice small units, are made in FLA, and are less expensive than most tear drop style units

https://www.runawaycampers.com/
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
The shower trick is a pop-up shower tent and do it when the sun is hitting it if its cold.

Also a side tent and umbrella mount make things better too. This is a receiver hitch flag mount that I use for a patio umbrella. I sleeved it with pvc and couplers and the pole fits like a glove.

Nice rig tikkanut !

The shower trick is a pop-up shower tent and do it when the sun is hitting it if its cold.

Also a side tent and umbrella mount make things better too. I’ll post a pic of my umbrella mount in a few minutes.

Nice rig tikkanut !

yea.....did purchase a shower tent.......large & tall....works great

Still stepping out nekked with big jim & the twins.....critters don't care.. grin

Trailer easily stores in garage too......

I went back through the thread and see I already posted the umbrella mount.

Fits in the garage is convenient
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21

Very cool.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
Just flames of envy; that looks great.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21

tikkanut,

Out of curiosity, what kind of gear do you carry in the Roam container? I'm always looking for ideas.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
Pretty slick. I like that.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

tikkanut,

Out of curiosity, what kind of gear do you carry in the Roam container? I'm always looking for ideas.

Currently...actually 2 full size camp chairs...perfect fit & about all you'll get in it...

The tongue box is divided 80/20....small side has dual battery pack

Larger side carries LP fire pit & extra bottle.(statewide fire ban)..tools...etc

Did I mention most recent upgrade last month was fully galvanized frame/suspension

Wife luvs the galley....very air tight/dust free on our usually dusty Forest Roads

Posted By: TrueAt1stLight Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
@tikkanut That's a great little rig! Congrats! I bet it was a long wait.

This thread is very relevant to my interests as I'm taking a hard look at the Intech Discover or Explore (the Discover is much bigger and at 6'4" I can stand up inside it) vs. the smaller Explore. Both are $$$ though and I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a glorified toy hauler with some tip out beds. It would be ideal as a "minimalist" base camp and cooler/meat hauler for a multi-day, multi-guy hunt I've got planned in MT this fall. I'm still trying to figure out how to stuff enough coolers into my new model Yukon with 4 guys, 2 pelican cases with rifles (two guys are flying in) and all our other gear. I may just rent a utility trailer but those Intechs are built stout as hell with 2" lifted suspensions and off-road tires.
Posted By: duckster Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21

This sounds like a story worth telling...!!
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
Did you check out tent trailers? My parents had one and it was great. We did 4 weeks in it.

Dad increased the length of the trailer’s tongue so it was easier to backup.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
Nice lookin teardrop tikkanut!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Teardrop camper? - 07/16/21
Great thread .

Me I'm going to build my own camper , I usually fish/hunt/trap alone so no need for a big camper .

This Raft Trailer made by Aluma Trailers is the best I found so far for my needs .

https://www.alumaklm.com/recreational/watercraft/8414rt-raft-trailer

I'll contact Aluma and see if they'll leave the winch mount/tie-downs and a couple of other things off .
Trailer only weighs 675# , doubt that it will weigh 1,000# when finished .

The 84x168'' / 7x 14' will be big enough to haul my 13' Gheenoe boat or dirtbike/snowmachine etc. .

Cargo type door in back plus side entry door . I'll frame it up with 2x3'' wood and insulate with the super lightweight purple color Celotex foam board material .
Inside & outside Luan wood , cut everything including insulation board , check the fit then use Lexell Adhesive to bond the inside & walls out together + screw everything off .
Prime & oil base paint or poor man fiberglass = roll on epoxy then staple thin canvas - then a heavy layer or three more epoxy , sand smooth , paint . < Olive Drab color .
Solar panel on roof - one lithium battery - all led lights - tub to take a Ho-bath

I'll use car camping gear that I have , and a twin size mattress ,
Bought the Kni-Co Alaskan Wood Stove a while back , got everything except the side water tank & stack robber , likely too big for a 7'x14' camper .

https://www.kni-co.com/alaskan_stove

Building things is very enjoyable to me , can't wait to get moved back out west and get started on the camper .
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Nice lookin teardrop tikkanut!

Thx !

For those unfamiliar with the 'Max Coupler' ---pic

Fully articulates & follows the tow vehicle w/o any binding

Easily removes from trailer frame to discourage theft

That rig is done nice !

You might like this 1/4” steel laser cut ingenious fire-pit/grill I just bought. Heavy but unique and functional.

Breaks down into five pieces, goes together with a wingnut, and carrys like a 70lb brief case.

I’ll post pics this evening.

Fire pit........don't expect fire bans here to end soon...or at all

Bought one of these LP portables...take along a spare bottle

19" in diameter....nice metal cover & carry strap...$115

yea I know........kinda like drinkin' 3.2 light beer..........

nah...works well & puts off fair amount of heat------- grin

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
I have one of those too.

Here is the little rig. 17” x 24”

© 24hourcampfire