Home
I stuck this thread down in the waterfowl section. There’s been only 3 people looking in hours. Granted it’s summer, but sheesh !

Sticking it up top to get some opinions and findings from any owners of these waders.

I’ve been trying for almost a year to locate these waders in stock...Just got an email informing me Sitka had my size in stock.

I couldn’t type my name, address, and cc # in fast enough thinking their stock would be gone before I finished typing.

Got some coming.

Does anyone know if they’re any good ?...Laffin....JK

Anyone have them? If you do, what’s your opinion?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
I talked to a few guys in Idaho that used them duck hunting. Said they were ok but not worth the money.
You get get into some Simms g4z for that sort of $$$ and have better waders. Sitka is too proud of their [bleep].
Brother Beav... kinda hard to get excited about waders when it's 120 degrees and we are on the verge of dying from global warming.......
Cool lookin waders though..... smile
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
You get get into some Simms g4z for that sort of $$$ and have better waders. Sitka is too proud of their [bleep].

Can you repeat that in English please. Moron
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

Learn to read.

Learn to read.

You better learn to read AND write. FUGGIN moron

Mister TWO masters degrees lol
The Simms G4z waders are excellent but if your looking insulated waders for duck hunting I would not go that route.
Originally Posted by Springcove
I talked to a few guys in Idaho that used them duck hunting. Said they were ok but not worth the money.

Hmmm. The reviews have been all over the board from hunters. Excellent, best ever made...Meh, overpriced - Should’ve just went with a Cabela’s offering.

Sitka has a solid return policy...If they look and feel fragile....They’re going back. I’m hard on waders. 3 sets here currently.

🦫
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Beav... kinda hard to get excited about waders when it's 120 degrees and we are on the verge of dying from global warming.......
Cool lookin waders though..... smile

True dat, brother!...These waders were impossible to find before bird hunting and river fishing last season.

🦫
I would be tempted to try them but at a grand , daamn . If they would last 4 seasons they are worth the bucks .

Are you paying for the durability or warmth ? I stay plenty warm in my Drakes but they only last 2 years .

Learn to read.

You better learn to read AND write. FUGGIN moron

Mister TWO masters degrees lol

I don’t know what to say other than while you were ripping on my ability to write, you left the “?” Mark out of your comment.

I’ll say it in more simple English: you made grammar errors while telling me I can’t write. That dosen’t make sense does it?

See it should have been more like:

Can you repeat that in English please? Moron.

If you want to get really technical the “moron” part is a sentence fragment as well but even a sentence fragment should have a period at the end.

Simms isn’t making any apologies for their gear prices, either.

Sitka, KUIU, Simms, First Lite, and other's similar, are about the same price point.

The G4z don’t have a full boot, which I prefer for waterfowl hunting...Look like nice waders, otherwise.

🦫
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I would be tempted to try them but at a grand , daamn . If they would last 4 seasons they are worth the bucks .

Are you paying for the durability or warmth ? I stay plenty warm in my Drakes but they only last 2 years .

That’s my hang up too. A thousand bucks is a lot when a pair of g4z is like 850.00 and probably the best wader out there. I get it that the Simms may be warmer but I’ve never had issues staying warm when I layer up in my Simms g3. I also don’t really like boot foot waders, I prefer to be able to pick my boot for the occasion. I use different boots for moose hunting vs a day of fishing although I use the same waders.

Im hoping durability...Layered and staying warm, at least in my area isn’t difficult. Staying dry, totally different story.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Hmmm. The reviews have been all over the board from hunters. Excellent, best ever made...Meh, overpriced - Should’ve just went with a Cabela’s offering.

Sitka has a solid return policy...If they look and feel fragile....They’re going back. I’m hard on waders. 3 sets here currently.

🦫

My cousin guides at a high dollar duck club in Idaho. All the members have them but have to send them back at the end of the season.

I’m like you and very hard on waders. I’ve looked at them every time I go to Scheels but just can’t see spending $1000 on waders I know I will probably tear.

Just my 2 cents…

Sitka, KUIU, Simms, First Lite, and other's similar, are about the same price point.

The G4z don’t have a full boot, which I prefer for waterfowl hunting...Look like nice waders, otherwise.

🦫

You aren’t wrong. All this hunting/fishing stuff has become sort of a fashion and people pay. I was down in homer a few weeks ago and it seemed like half the town was decked out in Sitka and kuiu. [bleep]….I’m wearing kuiu pants at this very moment lol.

🦫

My cousin guides at a high dollar duck club in Idaho. All the members have them but have to send them back at the end of the season.

I’m like you and very hard on waders. I’ve looked at them every time I go to Scheels but just can’t see spending $1000 on waders I know I will probably tear.

Just my 2 cents…

Yeah, SC, I was hopeful the material would feel/be durable. Based on what you’re saying, the fabric sounds thin and flimsy. That’s an automatic return for me.

Appreciate the information.

🦫

🦫

Just my 2 cents…

Yeah, SC, I was hopeful the material would feel/be durable. Based on what you’re saying, the fabric sounds thin and flimsy. That’s an automatic return for me.

🦫

I think if your sitting in a plush blind at a private club or on a boat they would be fine. But if your like me and bust brush I just can’t see it.

I am looking for a new pair myself. Cabelas 5mm waders are not what they used to be. After last year I should buy stock in Aqua seal…

🦫

You aren’t wrong. All this hunting/fishing stuff has become sort of a fashion and people pay. I was down in homer a few weeks ago and it seemed like half the town was decked out in Sitka and kuiu. [bleep]….I’m wearing kuiu pants at this very moment lol.

There ya go...Makes me laugh when a member here is a Sitka hater, for no other reason than calling the gear flat brimmer wearables...Then you see a pic they post of themselves in KUIU. Laffin.

I will check out the G4z waders, if the Delta’s feel like they won’t handle light punishment

🦫
G4z are just layered Gortex. Pretty thin. If you upsize and layer they might work. They have G3’s in Camo
G4z are just layered Gortex. Pretty thin. If you upsize and layer they might work. They have G3’s in Camo

Camo G3’s are what I’m currently using but it’s last years camo, not the current pattern. I love them and don’t have issues with layering them up. I’m in and out of boats and rafts while I moose hunt, hiking, sitting, butchering and I always get at least 3 years out of a pair. They are also easy to repair, I just smear aqua seal over pinholes which I rarely get and move on.

🦫

Just my 2 cents…

🦫

I think if your sitting in a plush blind at a private club or on a boat they would be fine. But if your like me and bust brush I just can’t see it.

I am looking for a new pair myself. Cabelas 5mm waders are not what they used to be. After last year I should buy stock in Aqua seal…

Laffin...No plush blinds with maid service here.

You are absolutely right about Cabelas 5mm not what they used to be. I have a pair of waist high waders from back when they were made well. They have a few patches in them, but the crotch seam flexed and opened over time. A wet and cold nut sack isn’t fun at first light.

🦫
I'm not sure I could tell you the amount of money I've spent on duck hunting waders.

I haven't gone sitka, but I get the argument.

My latest banded insulated pair has lasted about 2 seasons, that's the longest I've ever gotten. Cabelas, lacrosse, frogg toggs, simms, llbean, usia. They all suck.
JFC! A geezul to kill a phuggin duck? I can call up the local chinks and have one roasted and served w/ rice and noodles and those weird buns w/ crazy sauce delivered to my door for $50.00. Spend your money on gear for wolf hunting.

I can see investing in a waterproof dog to go get schidt you kill but waterproof pants? GMAFB.

Pro tip: You can buy a Kokotat GTX dry suit for $1k. I am totally mindphugged over those waders.

OK, I have peeled myself off the ceiling and am prepared to admit that $ spent on fun is never wasted. Do they have a waterproof jacket to go w/ those pants?

mike r

Camo G3’s are what I’m currently using but it’s last years camo, not the current pattern. I love them and don’t have issues with layering them up. I’m in and out of boats and rafts while I moose hunt, hiking, sitting, butchering and I always get at least 3 years out of a pair. They are also easy to repair, I just smear aqua seal over pinholes which I rarely get and move on.

I have only seen the camo online nobody around here seems to have them. I was looking at the regular G3’s today at Scheels. But those will be for fly fishing.

🦫

Just my 2 cents…

🦫

Laffin...No plush blinds with maid service here.

You are absolutely right about Cabelas 5mm not what they used to be. I have a pair of waist high waders from back when they were made well. They have a few patches in them, but the crotch seam flexed and opened over time. A wet and cold nut sack isn’t fun at first light.

🦫

Ya a cold 🥶 nut sack will wake you right up…

😂
Originally Posted by lvmiker
JFC! A geezul to kill a phuggin duck? I can call up the local chinks and have one roasted and served w/ rice and noodles and those weird buns w/ crazy sauce delivered to my door for $50.00. Spend your money on gear for wolf hunting.

I can see investing in a waterproof dog to go get schidt you kill but waterproof pants? GMAFB.

Pro tip: You can buy a Kokotat GTX dry suit for $1k. I am totally mindphugged over those waders.

OK, I have peeled myself off the ceiling and am prepared to admit that $ spent on fun is never wasted. Do they have a waterproof jacket to go w/ those pants?

mike r

Yes they have jackets. That will run you another $6-700…
I have never owned a pair of waders and have never been a big waterfowler, but it is a huge industry around here. I can only imagine the abuse your waders go through. I used to run the repair center for DRI (many years ago), catering to mostly public safety dive and water/ice rescue teams. I repaired a ton of wetsuits, drysuits etc., makes me think I need a retirement gig fixing gear!

I have only seen the camo online nobody around here seems to have them. I was looking at the regular G3’s today at Scheels. But those will be for fly fishing.

I had the regular grey ones for several seasons and when I finally replaced them, the “fish camo” was half price so I got them. I didn’t think I’d like them but I actually really do like them. The camp they have now is called “riparian camo” I believe.

Apparently both camo patterns are designed to hide you from fish, I don’t know about that as I caught a lot of fish with the grey ones but I do like them.

mike r

Beaver Award to me for causing mike r to have his first conniption fit, and a stroke at the same time.

Laffin

🦫
Climbing in and out of a boat and scrubbing around is hard on a wader .

I just looked and MPW is sold out .
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'm not sure I could tell you the amount of money I've spent on duck hunting waders.

My latest banded insulated pair has lasted about 2 seasons, that's the longest I've ever gotten. Cabelas, lacrosse, frogg toggs, simms, llbean, usia. They all suck.

This is what I’m afraid is the truth.

I will post up pictures of them when they land in a day or so, and what the construction appears to be.

Thanks, all, for the information.

🦫

This is what I’m afraid is the truth.

I will post up pictures of them when they land in a day or so, and what the construction appears to be.

Thanks, all, for the information.

🦫

I’m curious to see what you think when you have them. I think Sitka is a good company and I’m a big fan of John barklow but their stuff is 2x the cost of similar gear from other companies.

mike r

Sort of a good point about the dry suits being the price of waders but both are specialized pieces of gear. Nobody is going duck hunting in a dry suit and nobody is going to kayak class v water in waders. Sitka usually uses actual gore-Tex not some of the gore Tex knock offs that you see around, I had a kuiu jacket and it was made from “dermizax” or something like that.

While quality waders are expensive, they are worth the $$$, on my yearly moose floats we go for 10+ days and we live out of our waders, I can say without reservation that my Simms G3’s are better than a pair of cheap cabelas or caddis waders.

Kokotat like you mentioned makes great stuff but it’s built pretty specific for hard core white water kayaking. I have their life jacket that is meant for fishing and my wife uses one of their touring life jackets, both are rope quality even compared to companies like astral and nrs.
I spend 40+ days in waders/year duck hunting. If you think any are better than another, you are fooling yourself. You may get lucky, which I've been, but that doesn't make any brand great.
unfortunately Simms quality aint what it used to be. They have really gone downhill

That’s my hang up too. A thousand bucks is a lot when a pair of g4z is like 850.00 and probably the best wader out there. I get it that the Simms may be warmer but I’ve never had issues staying warm when I layer up in my Simms g3. I also don’t really like boot foot waders, I prefer to be able to pick my boot for the occasion. I use different boots for moose hunting vs a day of fishing although I use the same waders.
just pick up these. Can get for $200 on sale and great warranty

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506571?originalProduct=122752&productId=1734061&attrValue_0=Mossy%20Oak%20Shadow%20Grass%20Blades&pla1=0&mr%3AtrackingCode=63D1F113-0398-E911-8102-00505694403D&mr%3AreferralID=NA&mr%3Adevice=c&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3125275&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X03PeBgPJ_aBT2yaiK-V7lpKu9FoULuYZC-r_sL3996zS-FWw_H-6xhoCPmwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&SN=MasterPrompt04_test&SS=B&SN2=FindabilityRecs05_test&SS2=A&SN3=FindabilityProd07_Cat&SS3=B
Originally Posted by ribka
unfortunately Simms quality aint what it used to be. They have really gone downhill

My current pair has been excellent.
I spend 40+ days in waders/year duck hunting. If you think any are better than another, you are fooling yourself. You may get lucky, which I've been, but that doesn't make any brand great.

And I spend 20+ days moose hunting and 40-50 days a year fishing in my waders and I’ve been happy with the G3’s, your experience is different than mine but I’m a happy customer.
How many days a year do you all spend harvesting cranberries in your waders?
Uhhh......hooray?

mike r

I’ve fantasized about a Kokatat dry suit for surf casting many times, but never made it real.
Originally Posted by kingston

Zero days, berry picking is for my wife and her friends and they just wear [bleep] old jeans for that.

mike r

I’ve fantasized about a Kokatat dry suit for surf casting many times, but never made it real.

October 24th could be interesting

🦫

mike r

🦫

Zip me up?

LOL

mike r

🦫

Zip me up?

LOL

3XL ?

😂🦫🥰
Patagonia expedition waders are good too, I have the pants. I’ll
Also mention aquz their adjustable waders are great.
[quote=kingston]How many days a year do you all spend harvesting cranberries in your waders?

Zero days, berry picking is for my wife and her friends and they just wear [bleep] old jeans for that.[/quote

[quote=kingston]How many days a year do you all spend harvesting cranberries in your waders?

Zero days, berry picking is for my wife and her friends and they just wear [bleep] old jeans for that.[/quote

That’s a [bleep] of berries!!!

Whoever’s got the biggest berries wins.

Hold into the OceanSpray.

Sheesh !

🦫

Looks like all are gray colored...Not the best for duck hunting in the PNW.

🦫

🦫

Crap I Keep forgetting we are talking bird hunting here, yeah the ones I mentioned aren’t camo.
Beav, I buy LL Bean waders and use the warranty. Do you have an LLBean store out there? A store is handy if you need to return them.

🦫

There ya go...Makes me laugh when a member here is a Sitka hater, for no other reason than calling the gear flat brimmer wearables...Then you see a pic they post of themselves in KUIU. Laffin.

I will check out the G4z waders, if the Delta’s feel like they won’t handle light punishment

🦫

To be fair, kuiu attack pants are the bomb, I could wear them my Whole life for working, hiking, anything.
Beav, I buy LL Bean waders and use the warranty. Do you have an LLBean store out there? A store is handy if you need to return them.

llbean warranty wasn't honored on the last pair of waders I sent to them. No different than any other company's stated warranty and what they actually do.

confused confused confused

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Zero days, berry picking is for my wife and her friends and they just wear [bleep] old jeans for that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I’d never experienced sympathy.

Until you said you have a wife.

LOL

The only reason Beaver is your friend is because you have Dick Tourette’s.

LOL
I've been wearing Rogers brand for the last two years,no problems.
Saw these today,only 1100.00 bucks.

https://www.facebook.com/chenegear/

Greg
Originally Posted by redjones

Greg

I’m pretty sure once waders hit $1100 society has lost its fugking mind.

LOL
waterfowling in the South is,well much different than the North. your "cold days' are days we don't even bother hunting. I don't even get diver decoys ready unless it's going to be 20 degrees or lower for several days, and really get horny when it is single digits or lower. give me a day when I have to chop ice out of the boat launch and a 10-15 MPH N West wind and I am a Happy, happy boy. simply put, in those conditions No fishing wader lasts, and certainly not stocking foot. the best I found have been the 5mm Neoprene Cabelas ultimate hunter, of course Cabelas discontinued them. the Drake EQ system is good, I am on my 2nd year with them. I have heard nothing good from guys who actually use the Sitka and Banded waders, they are too embarrassed to admit they suck in public though

mike r

Their quality is legendary. I wore their lightweight GTX most every day for a month long paddle around Admiralty Island. Long days in the boat and as it rained almost daily it was worn while carrying boats and gear [big tides] and setting up camps. Absolutely flawless performance, quick drying, no leaks, tears or zipper problems. This was in 1997 and I am sure they are better now and have a much better selection.

mike r

Harvest was typically 2 weeks and I only wore hip boots. Bogs with the center ditch were a bitch, forget about it end up soaked. I ran a "beater" FLAME ON! lol

🦫

Camo Krylon.

$3.99 a can.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by redjones

Greg

I’m pretty sure once waders hit $1100 society has lost its fugking mind.

LOL

$10 lattes next?
Originally Posted by Valsdad

🦫

Camo Krylon.

$3.99 a can.

Have you seen me paint a stock ?

Nuff said.....

🦫
Originally Posted by gitem_12
waterfowling in the South is,well much different than the North. your "cold days' are days we don't even bother hunting. I don't even get diver decoys ready unless it's going to be 20 degrees or lower for several days, and really get horny when it is single digits or lower. give me a day when I have to chop ice out of the boat launch and a 10-15 MPH N West wind and I am a Happy, happy boy. simply put, in those conditions No fishing wader lasts, and certainly not stocking foot. the best I found have been the 5mm Neoprene Cabelas ultimate hunter, of course Cabelas discontinued them. the Drake EQ system is good, I am on my 2nd year with them. I have heard nothing good from guys who actually use the Sitka and Banded waders, they are too embarrassed to admit they suck in public though

Drake and Cabelas?

Nah, I've owned 3-4 pairs of cabelas, 2 pairs of drake. They suck. Just like every other pair.

llbean warranty wasn't honored on the last pair of waders I sent to them. No different than any other company's stated warranty and what they actually do.

The last pair I took back to the store. The boots and body were fine, they were their version of Gore-Tex with boot feet. The shoulder straps were held on with a section of neoprene that disintegrated. They’d been through three cranberry and waterfowl seasons and done a bunch of surf casting. It was a shame, but they wouldn’t fix ‘em. Apart from being a bit restrictive, they’d been indestructible.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

🦫

Camo Krylon.

$3.99 a can.

Have you seen me paint a stock ?

Nuff said.....

🦫

Dude,

they're waders FFS,

who's gonna see 'em? Crawdads in the marsh? The ducks won't see them if you're properly ensconced in the blind? Are you worried about your hunting buddies laughing at you?
Originally Posted by bluffview

Harvest was typically 2 weeks and I only wore hip boots. Bogs with the center ditch were a bitch, forget about it end up soaked. I ran a "beater" FLAME ON! lol

In the motherland we call them reels.
I use breathable lacrosse early season and the insulated drake waders for late season and have gotten 4-5 seasons from each hunting 30-40 days a season
Back to wader talk.

The Sitka Delta waders landed. I check them over, put them on, and did a few calisthenic moves for flexibility.

First impressions, they aren’t anymore flimsy than Simms waders a fishing pard of mine wears.

The Lacrosse boot feels thick and insulated. No sloppiness in the heal. The chest is cut wide, which is great, but like a lot of Sitka and KUIU gear, the waist is cut for triathlete. Nothing 5lbs off Beave’s frame won’t cure. 🙄

Sitka has a 100% guarantee on these waders and will repair or replace. Barb wire rips and normal wear and tear from extended use will be repaired at a nominal fee....Whatever that is. Read where guys had sprung leaks the first season and everything was covered, no charge, including shipping both ways.

I’m gonna give them a try and see what happens this season.

I still got my Cabela’s 5mm waist high waders for rough trench work jump shooting ducks in drainage channels.

🦫

PS

I appreciate everyone’s recommendations on other waders....I put all of them into my notes folder for future needs.
Had my eye on them but can’t make myself pull the trigger. Let me know how they work out for you.

Put some miles on them over the summer so if they give up the ghost, they do it before your waist-deep in swamp mud.
I get wanting primo waders. Nothing more miserable than leaking waders when there's ice on the pond so to speak.

I use mine for ducks and steelhead and spend a lot of time busting brush to get where I need to be. Haven't found anything that really holds up so I just go with 300 dollar ones, knowing I need to repair by year 2 and replace by year 3.

Fleet Farm specials.

Simms tho - locally, have an EXCELLENT reputation and I'm wanting to try a pair - dedicate them to steelhead to get them to last.
© 24hourcampfire