Home
I'm looking for a new air compressor - something in the 5-hp, 60-gallon range with enough CFM to run a paint gun and some shop tools. What brands should I consider?
FWIW, we use Makita compressors at our job sites and they've been bulletproof.
I'd just look for something oil lubricated and belt driven. Unless you're one of those guys who has to buy the very best. If I thought I'd live long enough to wear one out that's what I'd do, but I don't and I won't.
Son Jake has a DeWalt upright, it's fine.
5hp 220v?

Single phase?

Paint guns take a lot of air.
Quincy.

The $1300 model at northern tool gets great reviews.

80 gal.

Made in USA.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Quincy.

80 gal.

Made in USA.

Or Atlas - Copco.
Quincy.

80 gal.

Made in USA.

For that price, it's a Q54 (60gallon) There's no other to consider in that price range. 50,000 hour pump life. Hard to find info, but, most sub-$2000 piston units have like, seriously, 3000-5000-10000 (at most) hour rated pumps. They're all cast in China. Some are then machined domestically, such is the Q54. Most have all China parts, valves, switches, motor, belts etc... There's lower RPM 5HPs, but they're not built like the Q54. Don't be fooled by big MADE IN USA stickers on air compressors. It is only referring to the single part the sticker is on, maybe the tank, or the frame between the tank and pump... My Q54 came with a Baldor motor. Got mine through Lowes about $1100. Cheap CH, IR, Dewalt, EMAX, PUMA, they are all fuucking short-term junk, that could work out just fine, or not, and may, or not, have parts available. LOL.. I'm tight and hundreds of hours of research led me to the Q54, just enough to do what I need and just enough pride of ownership....

Other good stuff, commercial grade is $2500 to way up there.....

But, if you can, a Saylor Beall VT-735-80 would be sweet. Literally cast, and machined in the USA. The best basic 5HP there is. Yours under $3000. Then you can go pressure lubed, etc etc etc...
Patriotism hurts the wallet.
I got my upright 7 years ago and it has been flawless.

Home depot is where i bought it.

I did put some Amzoil compressor oil in it when new.

I run impacts 3/8 and 1/2 drive paint guns and even my small harbor fright sand blaster.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm looking for a new air compressor - something in the 5-hp, 60-gallon range with enough CFM to run a paint gun and some shop tools. What brands should I consider?

Budget is number one factor to have any chance to guide. If $5000 is ok, we're - what's that saying - in high cotton!

Speedaire

My 20+ YO unit still running strong...220 volt..

Special 220 plug......can't loan it out that way...........
Oh good gawd it's like a snow blower thread! I got mine 40 years ago, it's a dandy. Get one like that. Get Get Get....
I don't know if California air makes one that big, but if they do check them out. For smaller units they're phenomenal. Almost all of my subs and installers have switched over to them.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Quincy.

80 gal.

Made in USA.

For that price, it's a Q54 (60gallon) There's no other to consider in that price range. 50,000 hour pump life. Hard to find info, but, most sub-$2000 piston units have like, seriously, 3000-5000-10000 (at most) hour rated pumps. They're all cast in China. Some are then machined domestically, such is the Q54. Most have all China parts, valves, switches, motor, belts etc... There's lower RPM 5HPs, but they're not built like the Q54. Don't be fooled by big MADE IN USA stickers on air compressors. It is only referring to the single part the sticker is on, maybe the tank, or the frame between the tank and pump... My Q54 came with a Baldor motor. Got mine through Lowes about $1100. Cheap CH, IR, Dewalt, EMAX, PUMA, they are all fuucking short-term junk, that could work out just fine, or not, and may, or not, have parts available. LOL.. I'm tight and hundreds of hours of research led me to the Q54, just enough to do what I need and just enough pride of ownership....

But, if you can, a Saylor Beall VT-735-80 would be sweet. Literally cast, and machined in the USA. The best basic 5HP there is. Yours under $3000. Then you can go pressure lubed, etc etc etc...

You are right.

60 gal. Qt-54.

But price is now $1450.
I have a 5hp two stage Champion I bought from a rental company and it was rented out for two weeks prior to purchasing. Rated at just under 20 cfm. Changed oil when needed, filters, kept the tank drained, changed belts a few times, changed the check valve once and am over 12 years into the second motor. The pump and tank have needed nothing. Runs and makes air just like it did when I bought it. Used it for body work regularly for over 15 years. I'm pretty sure I bought it in the fall of 1979. It has paid for itself many times over. One of the best tool investments I've owned....

Edited to add it has never sat outside and has always lived in it's own ventilated room outside a shop...
I have 6 rol-air, 1 Emglo and 1- Ingersoll Rand wheel barrel type compressor’s. 5.5 & 6.5hp Honda’s on all. 9-13cfm’s at 90psi.
They’re ran 40-50hrs a week with little maintenance and admittedly few oil changes. I normally swap out a new motor every 3-5 years and a few pumps (maybe 3) rebuilt over the years. Probably not the type you’re looking for though.
I’m a big fan of Rol-Air.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You're going to need dry air for painting. I have a Quincy I bought a few years ago and am very pleased with it. It's used 5 days a week and 8-10 hours a day.
Quincy.

80 gal.

Made in USA.

Thanks for the discussion and advice. Trying to sort out the Chinese junk is why I asked.
I'm liking the looks of the Q54.
Originally Posted by kolofardos
FWIW, we use Makita compressors at our job sites and they've been bulletproof.

I've got two "jobsite" compressors already that I use for nail guns. I'm looking for something for the shop, hence 5-hp and 60+ gallons.
Eye candy. I was close to going here... This model with a factory installed aftercooler (between pump 2nd stage and tank) would be saweet. I think $2800 delivered from an Ebay authorized dealer was it 14 months ago... Disc valves not reeds. Or bump it up to a 120gallon tank, or 7.5 hp, ohhhhhh ohhhh ohhhhhh. laugh

https://www.saylor-beall.com/saylor-beall-5-hp-test-run/

(A couple notes on the Q54. No oil site glass, crazy but doesn't matter. I had to fug with the plastic dipstick to get it to seat properly because of a casting glob in the way. Consensus is, check everything out, might seal threads at drain and outlet, fire it up. Ok then? They'll run for years. They run higher rpm than the best, like the SB above. I added an hour meter. 30AMP circuit. IIRC not to be used on 208V)
When you drain your compressor there will still be water in the rubber line between the compressor and the dryer. If you mount the dryer just above the compressor with no "drip loop" in the rubber line the water in the rubber line will run back into the compressor tank where it can be drained.

I didn't dream that up by myself. The instructions for the first air compressor I bought in 1986 said to do it that way.
Originally Posted by victoro
When you drain your compressor there will still be water in the rubber line between the compressor and the dryer. If you mount the dryer just above the compressor with no "drip loop" in the rubber line the water in the rubber line will run back into the compressor tank where it can be drained.

I didn't dream that up by myself. The instructions for the first air compressor I bought in 1986 said to do it that way.

Good idea - thanks.
I sure hope mine holds up. My Grandpa bought it in like 1982 at the Jockey Lot, and its a cheap brand like Buffalo or something. It'll run an impact wrench to 130ibs. of torque is all I know. After 35 yrs., I put a little Lucas oil stabilizer in it. I know he never changed the oil.

I think its less than 5hp. And I'm sure he paid less than $300 for it. Oh, and the same brand impact wrench is near 40 years old now! Still use it all the time like day one.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is what I have, over 12 years now. Just change the oil and filters
Quincy.

80 gal.

Made in USA.

My son bought a large Quincy for his Florida cabinet shop at Northern Tool about 6 months ago.
He had gone thru several of the large cheaper ones in less than 10 years.
Actually any of the tools with the common names in the construction industry dont hold up well for hard every day use.
© 24hourcampfire