Home
Posted By: Terryk Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
I went to the store yesterday to get a couple pork shoulders. I usually get bone in, so I can see the meat pull back, and is ready to pull.
Anyway I was surprised the price was double.
Sirloin beef steaks were 8, now 12.
Posted By: woodson Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Same thing here. Prices have gone up pretty drastically.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
2.94 now, I think it was 1.39 or so. Anyway my impression is it doubled.
Last week at Sams, worker said there was a limit on chicken because people were buying it to freeze. So I think everyone sees the inflation
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
How much of these price increases are going to the ones who raise the animals? My guess is not much! I will be doing a much better job at filling deer tags this fall, I was never that greedy in the past, this year is different!
My sausages will have a bit more venison this year.
Posted By: tuskbuster Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
still have quite a bit deer from last year , just sent a 320 sow to processor and FINALLY got a date for 850 lb steer. they can choke on thier over priced meat
Posted By: deflave Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Beef is fuggin' ridiculous right now.
Posted By: krp Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Meat sales rotate about every week. Couple weeks ago I got pork loin for 99cents, bought 4, cut 1 into pork chops and repackaged into individual dinners. Last week for the 4th of july weekend babyback ribs, extra meaty ones were 1.77 instead of 4.99, I bought 10. Thanksgiving I buy turkeys, Christmas I buy whole rib or NY roasts for under 4 bucks lb, cut and wrap steaks for all year. When skinless/boneless chicken breast goes on sale for .99 I load up. Couple weeks ago london broil and round roasts were on sale for 1.97, happens at least every couple months, it's usually tough but good for fajitas, machaca and lots of jerky. Last week got burger for 1.99.

Everything isn't on sale every week, just have to watch. Memorial day, Labor day and the 4th load up on BBQ meats, Thanksgiving and Christmas meats and canned goods, baking supplies.

Just have to have space to keep it.

Kent
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Get this now, Publix has some ribeyes for $18.99/lb.

Yeah, Nah. Ain't happening.
The week after a big sale holiday is usually not the time to buy... this week the london broil/round roasts are 2.97, hamburger 2.97 for 93%, center cut pork chops 2.49 and chicken thighs, legs, split breast for .97... nothing really great.

Kent
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by krp
Meat sales rotate about every week. Couple weeks ago I got pork loin for 99cents, bought 4, cut 1 into pork chops and repackaged into individual dinners. Last week for the 4th of july weekend babyback ribs, extra meaty ones were 1.77 instead of 4.99, I bought 10. Thanksgiving I buy turkeys, Christmas I buy whole rib or NY roasts for under 4 bucks lb, cut and wrap steaks for all year. When skinless/boneless chicken breast goes on sale for .99 I load up. Couple weeks ago london broil and round roasts were on sale for 1.97, happens at least every couple months, it's usually tough but good for fajitas, machaca and lots of jerky. Last week got burger for 1.99.

Everything isn't on sale every week, just have to watch. Memorial day, Labor day and the 4th load up on BBQ meats, Thanksgiving and Christmas meats and canned goods, baking supplies.

Just have to have space to keep it.

Kent

four freezers/refrig in house. wife who watches sales like a hawk.
last couple weeks was the chicken breasts and london broil, which i happen to like in a variety of ways.
which come to think of it, grandson smoked about 40pounds of pork shoulder. helps his brother is a meat mgr for frys.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
When I was a little boy in the 1950s, my father explained how the meat market was a great example of supply and demand.
Steak and hamburger are priced differently just right to be sold at the same rate.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Bone in pork shoulders were $1.49 per pound at Winn Dixie last weekend. Slabs of St. Louis ribs were roughly $30 each but a weekend BOGO helped.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Look up some hidden videos regarding what happens at American slaughterhouses and you will no longer have to worry about prices of supermarket meat.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Look up some hidden videos regarding what happens at American slaughterhouses and you will no longer have to worry about prices of supermarket meat.

They must be near where the videos are of your mom running a train with all those fellas.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They must be near where the videos are of your mom running a train with all those fellas.

I am just trying to help them out. Eating all that meat is very unhealthy.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
I bought a case last week for $1.99/lb, checked yesterday and the best they could do by the case was $2.49.

Big deal, our ancestors of even just 100 years ago would be ashamed of how pussified we have become... can't be exposed to the reality how meat is processed.

Kent
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
The cheapest brisket I saw yesterday was one around 11-12 lb, almost 60 bucks.
Posted By: Rugies Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Prices are going up on beef here pork seems semi stable.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Just got a call
Butts by the case, $1.99 frozen, must be old.

On my way to check the date and pick up some Beef Hanging Tenders for $6.99/lb.
Turned 2.94 a pound ito artery gold. 15 hours cook time. First 12 hours at 200, last 3 at 225. Final temp 192F. Fell off the bone. EZ to pull.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: deflave Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21
Nice.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21

Your mom must not think so.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Pork shoulder - 07/11/21

Got any sand nearby?
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
Turned 2.94 a pound ito artery gold. 15 hours cook time. First 12 hours at 200, last 3 at 225. Final temp 192F. Fell off the bone. EZ to pull.

Looks good!!!!
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21

WRONG

I had some trouble with my guts a few years back. Had to undergo a schit ton of tests, food elimination diet , EGD's and of course Meds. It was so bad my local doctors had me referred to the Mayo Clinic.

The Gastroenterologist at the Mayo told me that our bodies are not capable of properly processing certain foods, especially processed foods like flour, grains and sugars. High Fructose Corn Syrup is to be avoided at all costs, she said.

She told me to consider myself a Hunter Gatherer.

"If you can Kill it, eat it", "If you can Grow it, eat it", " If it comes in a bag or a box, avoid it". "Meat is protein, eat it, enjoy it and you body will thank you for it"

Works for me.

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21
Weiss in Bedford had them last night. On sale $1.99.
I thought that was awful high. Few weeks ago they were everywhere to $.99.

I think chuck roasts were $6.99.
Bottom round was almost $10. But was BOGO, so, raise it to lower it.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21
I ended up with a good amount of venison last season. I been eating that instead of pork and beef. So I havent been staying up with the prices on a weekly basis. I saw the prices on beef at Publix and wasnt really shocked but it didnt put me in a buying mood. Starting to think an additional freezer is in the cars so I can buy when there is a deal.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21
boston butts .99 lb
t-bones this week 6.99lb
pork tenderloin 1,49lb
Posted By: pullit Re: Pork shoulder - 07/12/21
I do a lot of BBQing and pork butts are high as well as Brisket. Ribs are a no go right now as well. Prices are high across the board unless you find a "sale" and then they are just ok.
© 24hourcampfire