Home
Before he moves to TN end of this month.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My hunting buddy had one of those only a 3/4 ton 292 6 cyl.....we spent so much time cruising, nice truck.
Love to have a restored to original 64 step side in dark green. Grandfather had one.
Nice truck. I learned to drive in my grandpas 62 chevy half ton.
I like that paint job. 3 on the tree or automatic?
That needs an original 327.
That's a beauty!!

Don't look like it'll fit out the door though........... grin
Any of those old pickups, with the side vent windows fall deeply into the cool category.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
I like that paint job. 3 on the tree or automatic?

Automatic.

PS- that's an original color combo.
Cool truck!

A custom cab. Wide back window. My first truck, a short bed 63 custom cab with a 283 powerglide, a sporty thing in the day I'd say. Most were I-6 & 3 on the tree.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Got a snarly little small block.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's a beauty!!

That's the back door. smile

But, you're right. It wouldn't fit out that one. smile

A 383 looks like a 327 and would make that truck scoot.
I have a 64 long box with a 283 and a 4 speed.

60 to 66 were some of the coolest.

67 to 72 get too much attention IMHO.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Love to have a restored to original 64 step side in dark green. Grandfather had one.

Great Grandad had one of those. His was a GMC. Last Ranch Truck he bought before he died in 67. It had the V-6 with the standard on the floor with the granny low gear.
I learned to drive in that one, when I was 9 or 10. Good times 🤠
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Nice! I used to know where a nice one of those was sitting in a farmer’s barn. Don’t know if it’s still there or not. Haven’t been by there in years.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I drove a 64 stepside factory 1/2 ton 4x4 292 4 speed for years as a company truck, but it was white. Went to bid jobs in it. Old guys hired us every time. Can't even begin to tell you how many offers I had on that truck. Sold it with the business and have always wanted another. Put it in low range 4x4 and you could back up a vertical roadcut bank and stand it on the front bumper. Used to come to the end of a dirt road and pull that on unsuspecting chumps. Loved that truck.

Now, paint it black, lower it, chop the top, bucket seats and a 4 speed.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's a beauty!!

That's the back door. smile

But, you're right. It wouldn't fit out that one. smile

Lol, A guy I used to work with built a boat in his basement, got it all done and realized he couldn't get it out the slider door. He had a crew come in remove the slider and knock out and rebuild part of the wall.

I have to admit it was a nice boat and he did a good job on it, he just wasn't the sharpest tool in the tool box.
My Dad had a '63 when I was growing up. Paint scheme was reversed. It was mainly red with white accents. I don't remember what engine it had.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yeah! Nice truck!

Friend of mine had same many moons ago, back in the 70's.
Brings back memories, my dad had a 64.
Truck is a BEAUT!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Nice!

I like the 67-72 trucks, but agree. The 80's square body trucks are a also favorite. Those things are fetching money now too.

My "old" truck is a 2000. I really kinda fond of it. It drives kinda like an old truck, has a bench seat and rear sliding window.
If it had the quarter vent windows it'd be about perfect!
I know two people here in my little town with those trucks they bought new. One is a long wide bed and one is a short wide bed but they’re both orange with a white roof. The old Indian guy with the shortbed still daily drives it.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I know two people here in my little town with those trucks they bought new. One is a long wide bed and one is a short wide bed but they’re both orange with a white roof. The old Indian guy with the shortbed still daily drives it.

Cool.

Specs?
Originally Posted by mathman

Specs?

mathman, I'll have to check with my hrother tomorrow a.m.

Specs?

mathman, I'll have to check with my hrother tomorrow a.m.

mathman, Brother put a 350 with a 350 tranny in it. Said his son couldn't afford an LS. smile

Originally had a 283.

A guy in his neighborhood had a '66 that he let die in the driveway. That's where the motor and tranny came from.
Damn, that looks gorgeous. More pics please!

My only memory of those trucks is a buddy had one in high school. We'd go hunting in it on weekends. Washboard on gravel roads at anything above 10 mph would put that thing sideways. Damned scary!
It wouldn't have been original then, 1966 being too early for the 350 IIRC.

For the way I'd drive such a truck the original 283 would have been a nice build subject.
Originally Posted by grouseman
Damn, that looks gorgeous. More pics please!

My only memory of those trucks is a buddy had one in high school. We'd go hunting in it on weekends. Washboard on gravel roads at anything above 10 mph would put that thing sideways. Damned scary!

Yeah, they don't weigh much! And all the weight's in the front end. Lol. smile
Cool lookin truck there Dirt. Love to see more pics as the build progresses. Gramps had one for a work truck and I think the paint scheme was sort of an aqua blue with white. Good memories sitting there in the cab with him not being able to see over the dash.
What a coincidence !!

Had a beautiful, manual transmission, '65 '67 dropped off, at the shop, for front end work yesterday !

Doesn't look like a '65.
Just went & checked, it's a 67 !

For the way I'd drive such a truck the original 283 would have been a nice build subject.
Unless you want a show truck that's all original or put back like an original, I don't see the point. 283 and 350 are the exact same block.
Before '67 they had that "muffin top" hood.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Unless you want a show truck that's all original or put back like an original, I don't see the point. 283 and 350 are the exact same block.

I know what you're saying, I just mentioned my personal preference.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Body style change with the 1967 model year up to the 1973 model year. (1967-1972 with that particular body style.) My Dad had a 1968 Custom 20 that had a/c. Very rare that far back. Green. Hardcore 350. Later, I had a 1971 with a 350 two barrel, that I put a four barrel on. I still have the camper shell I took off of it, overgrown by underbrush. That one was red and white. Black vinyl seat.
This one has had the front end & brakes swapped out from an '85, which is where I got confused !

blush

I know what you're saying, I just mentioned my personal preference.

The only 283 I can remember my family having, was in a 1964 Impala my Dad bought new. Metallic blue. Beautiful car. Added a/c later. The 283 was plenty but would overheat if setting in a traffic jam on I-30 between Dallas and Fort Worth. Had to turn the a/c off. I assume it was because it wasn't built for a/c. 1963 half-ton I mentioned earlier in the thread my have sported a 283, I can't remember. The original 283 would certainly be my choice as well, if it were available. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care. Hell, a 454/400 would be pretty nice.
Always wanted a 67-72 body style short bed but I can't get my rich uncle out of the poor house to buy me one.

Road a many a mile in the old 63 body style truck, both in the cab and in the bed. Don't remember any of them being automatics, they were all on the tree.
Many years ago my family had a long bed 1968 or maybe '69. It had three on the tree and a 307 small block. If anyone doesn't know the 307 is Chevy's combination of a 283 bore size block with a 327 stroke crank. I wish I still had that truck now.
Cool truck. I have a buddy who is enamored of these years and has a 66 Short box step side with a 6 in it that is his daily driver. Still all original right down to the three on the tree, paint, interior, etc.... He also owns a 64 long box 3/4 ton 4x4 in same condition that is his hauling truck for firewood and other heavy items and a 65 Suburban he is completely going through and restoring except for the addition of a 350/350 drive train and updated 4x4 transfer case . They are great looking trucks IMO, but when it comes right down to it, he still prefers to ride in my 2015 Silverado when we go on our hunting and fishing trips....

Bob
That is a beautiful restoration and a great paint job.

Through the '70s, we had a succession of Chevy C10s on the farm. Each purchased at about ten years old.

Black 1960 fleetside 8 foot w/ 283 and three on the tree w/ 2.72 gears.Dad went through a transmission about twice a year. I don't know why he never just put a good four speed in it.

Light green '62 short stepside with a six cylinder and a four speed. I hauled three loads of silage in it every day from harvest until pasture came back in April. Brother was bouncing it across the dry hills on the farm, tipped the battery over and burned it to the ground.

Light blue and white '64 long box stepside. It took over as the feed truck after the '62 burned up. Another six cylinder with 4 speed.

And then an avocado green '66 with long wide box. A 250 under the hood and a four speed. Dad had the head off that engine doing valve work at least twice. By the mid '70s, we should have just put a nice 350 under the hood.

And then in '85, after I was married, I bought a '65 GMC 3/4 ton hi-boy 4x4 with a 1 ton auxiliary spring pack under it and an 11 foot Aloha camper on top. It had the GMC 305 V6 and a three speed column shift. I replaced the tranny with the four speed out of that old 66 Chevy and turned the 66 bed and frame into a wood hauling trailer to pull behind.

I sure wish I had all five of them sitting out in a barn today.
What a coincidence !!

Had a beautiful, manual transmission, '65 '67 dropped off, at the shop, for front end work yesterday !

What the heck? A Chevy with Buick "ventiports"? A Roadmaster pickup?
Many years ago my family had a long bed 1968 or maybe '69. It had three on the tree and a 307 small block. If anyone doesn't know the 307 is Chevy's combination of a 283 bore size block with a 327 stroke crank. I wish I still had that truck now.

The 307 was the biggest piece of crap to ever be called a smallblock Chevy.
Hah! I saw that as well.

Painted grill to match the body and fender vents. Not my style, but a cool truck nonetheless.

The reverse 302!

What makes it so?

Body style change with the 1967 model year up to the 1973 model year. (1967-1972 with that particular body style.) My Dad had a 1968 Custom 20 that had a/c. Very rare that far back. Green. Hardcore 350. Later, I had a 1971 with a 350 two barrel, that I put a four barrel on. I still have the camper shell I took off of it, overgrown by underbrush. That one was red and white. Black vinyl seat.

Ethan, this is the third Chevy pickup my brother has restored. The first was a '68-70 (can't remember which) that he kept as his daily driver for probably 10 years and then gave to his son. The second was a '56 that he put a '93 Vette motor in. Complete custom. That one was a beast. This '65 C10 is the third (that I know of).

Which GM Company was the originator of the 305?
I believe it was Chevy and it morphed into being the corporate V8.

What makes it so?

Read years ago the 307 was a parts dump of 283 & 327 engine parts - anybody know if that's true ?

What makes it so?

Head design. Totally a smogger engine. I may be misremembering, but I think there was something undesirable about the block, too, but I might have that wrong. All I know is that when I was considering a 307 as the basis for an engine build I abandoned the idea muy pronto.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that awful for a basic utilitarian transportation engine, but as a SBC it was way outclassed by just about everything else.
Local Dirt
What part of TN is your nephew moving to?
I don't recall another 305 other than Chevy. Pontiac had a 301 along the same era & Olds had a 307. All completely different plantforms.

The 307 Chev shared a stroke with the 327, & a bore with the 283. The 305 shared a stroke with the 350 & a bore with the 265. They were struggling to meet new fuel mileage regs by the feds. Nothing particularly wrong with dependability of the 2, just couldn't pull a sick whore out of bed.

67& 68 C10's shared the same grill, the 68 had only the big back window, the 67 was last year for small window but think come custom cabs may have had the big one.

69-70 shared the same grill, a 71-72 shared another.
The 302 was definitely the quickest off the line with a shorter stroke and quicker rev. But the 307 was a torquey little bitch and powered my buddy's little Nova quite well.

We used to see a few 302s in the Camaros. And a lot of 307s in the Nova and a few in pickups.
The 307 came out in 68. Probably not much smog concerns in its development.

The 305, on the other hand, was a product of CAFE, and smog restrictions. But Chevy small block heads were pretty much interchangeable through the '60s and on until the Vortec engine came along.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Read years ago the 307 was a parts dump of 283 & 327 engine parts - anybody know if that's true ?

I don't think it could be quite that in that the 307 was as far as I know always a large journal cast crank and there were very few large journal 327s, and if I recall Grumpy Jenkins' book correctly the large journal 327 piece was a comparatively lightweight forging found in a small number of 1968-69 performance motors.
Originally Posted by pullit
Local Dirt
What part of TN is your nephew moving to?

It's my brother. He had a deal on a house northwest of Sevierville, but owner's wife lacked class and husband lacked a sack. So, he leased a nice townhouse west of Knoxville and will look for a place while he's renting. Probably best option right now.
Nice truck and always better when it's old iron!
I forgot to mention earlier that the factory heads that came on the 283/307 bore size motors wouldn't be an issue for me. Trick Flow makes heads that are just the ticket for 3.875" bore size small blocks, and they'll out flow any double hump heads ever installed on a Chevy small block. Yes, even the 2.02 fuelie heads.
I drove a 65 step side years ago. Couldn’t run with the 6 cy so I imedatly dropped in a 365 hp Corvett 327..
That little truck could give just about any muscle car fits
In 1/4 mile. Raced and beat a 442 and a roadrunner back to back. It was kinda the original (farm truck)
I still have the truck sitting in a barn.
I forgot to mention earlier that the factory heads that came on the 283/307 bore size motors wouldn't be an issue for me. Trick Flow makes heads that are just the ticket for 3.875" bore size small blocks, and they'll out flow any double hump heads ever installed on a Chevy small block. Yes, even the 2.02 fuelie heads.

Hmmm.
Modern heads smoke the old stuff, on the flow bench and the dyno.
As I posted earlier a simple 383 however hairy one desires. These folks, local to me, built my 427 Windsor for my Mach 1. All new stuff.

https://smedingperformance.com/collections/chevy
© 24hourcampfire