Home
To feel what 130+ degree temps feel like. confused

Obvious they've not worked in a factory, or a few other jobs some could probably name.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Obvious they've not worked in a factory, or a few other jobs some could probably name.

Yep, I worked in and retired from a large caliber cannon manufacturing facility. It could get brutally hot and humid in the shops. All the while taking big cuts cutting steel and generating more heat. Standing over a big lathe chip pan full of hot, hot chips from a turning operation on a gun tube. Sometimes we had working fans... I don't miss that a bit !
A construction camp in Ras Laffan Industrial City Qatar comes to mind.
I would put out nail strips on the road and water stands on the shoulder.
Worked in a German Bakery in high school. It was brutal in the winter too.
Lay down 300 degree asphalt on a 110 degree day.
Pulling veneer in a plywood plant at the end of a 400 degree dryer; swing shift; on a 105 degree summer day in Medford, Oregon. It felt so cool to go outside on break.
Installing air conditioning and vents in an attic in August in Texas...

130* ain't even close.
High-top leather boots, full-length Nomex flight suit, gloves, helmet, and oxygen mask. Now close that bubble plexiglass canopy while on the concrete parking area. In August in Laredo, Texas. Outside air 110 degrees. In-cockpit air - nobody wants to know. (No air conditioning in the T-37 jet while on the ground.) Not uncommon to lose eight to ten pounds per flight in water loss. We went home near heat exhaustion and very, very "ripe."
I used to build grain bins that would get 130 inside on a sunny day.
Plenty of hot jobs out there. I can recall a 95 degree day when we went outside the coal fired power plant to stand around on the blacktop in the sun to take a break because it was cooler out there. The boilers were running a higher steam load ( more steam = more heat) so we could generate more electricity to meet the increased demands of a hot day.
I've been to Death Valley in August.
It was warmish.
Changing ladle bucket w furnace at 1200 a few ft away...on a 100 degree day outside.

Or burn out a stuck pc w blowtorch, inside a die.....

Good times
29 years at Johns Manville, fire proof testing the asbestos loom for final finish.
When I was fresh out of the Army and we were just starting out, I worked at a sawmill in Juliaetta, Idaho. I worked loading lumber into boxcars. We had a thermometer down under the loading docks, in the shade, and our highest reading was 112F. We had no shade. I don't know what the temp was inside a black boxcar on a 100+ day but it was damn hot. You had to be careful not to touch the car or you would get burnt. On a typical day we would load two boxcars full; roughly, 100,000 board feet. My wife would send a gallon of iced tea with me in the morning and I would have drunk that by noon. I would fill the jar with cold water for the afternoon (kept it in a pile of sawdust). I wore a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes. When I got home from work, I would soak in a tub of cool water.
One of the partners I had was a recent transplant from Bakersfield and I don't think the guy even sweated. Little, wiry guy who seemed to thrive on the heat. Another guy, a big husky guy, about 220, lasted most of one day and had to go home. GD
125+ in Bahrain in the summer WITH humidity I think the heat index was 150 +/-

Like Rocky’s T-37’s, the air conditioning of an F-4 didn’t work on deck either. In the South China Sea and Gonzo Station off of Iran, the flight deck would get pretty stinkin’ hot in the summer sun. When they started taxiing you out of your spot, the canopies had be down. With the sun beating down on the steel deck, canopies down, helmet, mask and all your flight gear on and no a/c, it didn’t take long for the sweat to start rolling down your face. Guess where all the sweat went when they launched you off the front end at 175-180 knots. Right in the old eyeballs. Couldn’t see $hit for several seconds. 😵‍💫

On the other hand, the Tomcat’s a/c was really good on deck or in the air. Sometimes the fans would be blowing so hard, it was a little hard to understand ICS and radio calls. 🥶
Originally Posted by slumlord
29 years at Johns Manville, fire proof testing the asbestos loom for final finish.

how did i know this was coming?
I spent 2 Mos working beside a air strip in NAM jets taking off 24-7 will be all you want..as soon as you stepped out side sweat would be dripping off your nose on the first step...
Worked pulling red hot sheets for railroad cars out of the press with tongs. My biggest fear was passing out and falling on a red hot sheet. Some of the best money I ever earned.
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I used to build grain bins that would get 130 inside on a sunny day.

I would have thought they could get hotter than that on a three digit day.
Originally Posted by gunzo

They’ll be the first to die when the grid goes down. If not from the hot or cold, then just by somebody gettin tired of their bitchin....
Aircraft Carrier flight decks in the Persian Gulf during the summer. Hot, humid air mixed with hot jet exhaust. Ugh.
I bet covid cant survive in Death valley.

unless you ask TV Tony....
I've not gotten that high on the temps, but HAVE worked jobs where it was smart to wear canvas and long sleeves and wet yourself down, rather than burn skin. Shoveled a few August grain bins (oh, gosh, I love OATS) too. Don't miss it, but glad for the experience.
As said, LOTS of hot jobs out there. Roofers (good God!), steel workers, ramp guys at airports, attic insulation guys...I can't begin to imagine them all.

Cold ones, too. And I bet they have just as many stories.
I’ve spent enough hot TX summer days in the cab of a Tractor without A/C as a kid to know I don’t need to visit Death Valley.🤠
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I’ve spent enough hot TX summer days in the cab of a Tractor without A/C as a kid to know I don’t need to visit Death Valley.🤠

I just won't operate a tractor down here with a cab, if the a/c is broken.

That heat is magnified by all the glass in the cab... No way.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep. Didn’t have any choice when I was a kid, though. 😬
I worked on a blast furnace in the summers to pay for college; so I would not have debt when I graduated. What kid does that anymore?? You were GLAD to go back to school in the fall. An incentive to improve your lot in life; for sure. I walked around and stepped over molten iron and slag like a running creek. Hot, Nasty and DANGEROUS. Before OSHA.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
I worked on a blast furnace in the summers to pay for college; so I would not have debt when I graduated. What kid does that anymore?? You were GLAD to go back to school in the fall. An incentive to improve your lot in life; for sure. I walked around and stepped over molten iron and slag like a running creek. Hot, Nasty and DANGEROUS. Before OSHA.

Most College kids nowadays wouldn’t have a clue about working their way through College. I mowed lawns, delivered pizza, worked construction. Any thing to pay the bills.
Fugg that.
I've worked in the cold most of my life.
You can always put more clothes on and be comfortable when it's cold.
When it's hot you can take them all off and you're still miserable.
No F'n thanks.

Yep - BTDT. Pheasant under glass comes to mind. smile

When in my teens, another teen and got drafted to unload 4 boxcars of cellulose insulation, and store it in an enclosed barn.
Thank God there was a Dairy Queen on the route! smile They got a LOT of business from the 2 of us.
Laying black shingles on a roof in August in SC will get you pretty close. Humidity makes it even more fun.
GreggH
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Fugg that.
I've worked in the cold most of my life.
You can always put more clothes on and be comfortable when it's cold.
When it's hot you can take them all off and you're still miserable.
No F'n thanks.

Same here, I can't stand hot weather. 61 degrees for the high here.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Yep - BTDT. Pheasant under glass comes to mind. smile

When in my teens, another teen and got drafted to unload 4 boxcars of cellulose insulation, and store it in an enclosed barn.
Thank God there was a Dairy Queen on the route! smile They got a LOT of business from the 2 of us.

I loaded box cars with sacks of Feed and Dog Food from the Local Feed Store in High School. All summer long one year. 🤠
Top tier of an old stick rack tobacco barn, hanging the sticks full of tobacco as they came in from the fields.
Raking asphalt in 100+ degree heat cured me of living in hot country..... I will take high elevation mountains and deep snow any day..... I can stoke the wood fire now and watch the snow build up.... smile
I worked two summers in E. Texas and L.A. . sun up till just before dark, running behind a Ditch Witch 100 in sand, so hot you couldn't breath, Man was I in shape for 108 degree 2 a days in Texas, we all played both ways back then. Later in life worked in Dallas 30 some years as a steel worker, 1980 was so hot every one wanted on Grave Yard shift, it was 99 degrees that summer at 6 AM outside, buddie put a thermometer in WHSE , it was 137 inside on day shift, MPO came walking by and saw it, he went straight to Jim, ripped his ass ,after he took it down , he said what are you doing, trying to cause a walk out, funny as hell...What doesn't kill ya make you stronger !
Hmmmph, guess I can’t whine about poorly exhausted and return-aired kitchens that run 110 or a bit more. 120, 130, or higher? Yeah I’d walk. You can only handle that kind of heat for so many hours.
Worked five summers at a prune dehydrator. Two of them pulling tunnels. The all concrete dehydrator got to 120 degrees in August and the prune tunnels were 188.

Arguably the best beer ever was ending a shift with a tunnel pull and no break. Racing to the local market to have a tall boy that was sitting in ice.

I wouldn’t trade that work for working in a high humidity part of the country though, my hats off to those that do.
“Throwed some hay for a couple weeks, got on a roof to fix the DirecTV dish”

haha

I went through my books about 3 years ago but purging all that ratfugg.
Between 1995 and 2002; I’d roofed about 560 residential homes, not everyone on a summer day but JFC, too many. No way to count the umpteen number of 2hour patch jobs. Asphalt shingles and rib metal.

Pouring concrete, laying block, framing all in between. You got to stay with most of these projects. Can’t be around a bunch of Winston smokers shootin the shît for 20 mins every couple hours.it’s hot, get your head out of your ass and move. Don’t come to my jobsite hungover, suckin on Mtn Dew.

Originally Posted by slumlord

34 years in flat glass . Brutal heat around the furnaces, plain old scorching everywhere else in that place. Remember many times walking outside in Texas summer heat to cool off and it felt pretty good...
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As said, LOTS of hot jobs out there. Roofers (good God!), steel workers, ramp guys at airports, attic insulation guys...I can't begin to imagine them all.

Cold ones, too. And I bet they have just as many stories.

Off shore Caspian Sea comes to mind as well. A pretty good swing from frozen sea to hot when the seals appeared.
Back in the day, northern Minnesota, -45° outside at night. Staying overnight in my very inebriated uncle's 8'x12' log cabin hunting shack. Inside was a 55 gallon drum wood stove roaring hot. I was in the top bunk sweating like in a sauna. Finally got up and stood outside in my underwear to cool off. Left the door open, the stove eventually died down, closed the door and finally fell asleep. He slept/was passed out through the whole thing.
Did a bit of asphalt,
lots of haying, both stacking bales on wagons and in the barn.
Getting up in almost full silos and forking silage around to fill it to
the top was nasty.
Hauling asphalt in an old Mack with no a/c had its moments when you had to sit in the freshly paved road. Heat coming up, 100 degree air, sun beating down, 23 ton of 300 degree asphalt 2 feet behind you.

But the worst?
Hauled 5&10 store freight, had to hand unload multiple stops.
Every other week I ran across southern Louisiana, into East Texas.
Pick up a loaded trailer on Wednesday evening, let it cook until Saturday.
Drag it down to Baton Rouge, listen to the morning weather.
Degrees and humidity. Only God knows the temp in the trailer.
Bandana in my pocket, gallon of water.
Get in the trailer, sweated wet underware already.
Bandana on, shirt off, here we go!
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Top tier of an old stick rack tobacco barn, hanging the sticks full of tobacco as they came in from the fields.

Been there, done that! It was even worse taking it out after it had cured.
I’m shocked to see this turned into a dick measuring contest.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Most things in life, are a dick measuring contest....
Try unloading wrecked train cars in the summer. 5 minutes in 20 minutes out. 175°F in them box cars.
In the desert a car sitting in the sun can hit 160 inside. The steering wheels can be more warmish. I have measured the west-facing house outside wall at 190 in the afternoon sun. I do appreciate insulation.

And, as a kid having lived through summers before air conditioning, it was not pleasant. If we ever lose the electricity supply there will be a mass migration away from the desert.
Come South and do a roofing job in August about 1400 hours on any day!!
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I've not gotten that high on the temps, but HAVE worked jobs where it was smart to wear canvas and long sleeves and wet yourself down, rather than burn skin. Shoveled a few August grain bins (oh, gosh, I love OATS) too. Don't miss it, but glad for the experience.

Barley is worse than oats!
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Try unloading wrecked train cars in the summer. 5 minutes in 20 minutes out. 175°F in them box cars.

My dad was a USDA grain inspector and went to work with him a few times during the summer. Murder inside a box car sitting out in the sun.
hottest I ever got I think was loading trucks for UPS in the summer.

I've been in tobacco barns and hauled hay

all those jobs where when I was a young man though. I could take it.
We used to play tap-out in the walkin deep freezer at Wendy’s when I was 16

lol

-20 in a t-shirt

You wonder why it takes 13 mins to get your food
I avoid the heat. Always seemed like the sensible thing to do.
A guy at work was bragging, he and his wife were working outside
and it was around 90. Sweating profusely, his wife said she was glad
summer was here. It had been cool until then. He was telling how
He agreed. That he likes it hot, and sweat doesnt bother him.

Called BS.
"You obviously have never had to work in the heat. A few roof jobs as a kid
Don't count. I'm talking everyday, all summer. Not stopping because it's hot."

I like it cool. Even cold.
But when my snot freezes, it's too cold.
And I'm not gonna try some stupid macho BS line.
The Badwater 135 run starts July 19. Run from below sea level to 8500' on Mt. Whitney.

Hard to beat being a soldier in the sandbox or the jungle wearing full battle rattle all day.

Working in real heat just sucks, I'll take the cold anyday.

mike r
My two least favorite things....hot and desert
I was a material handling consultant for years. Rough times on both ends of spectrum include watching them drop a charge in a Nucor Mill in August with an outside heat index of 115, same outside temp but taking some measurements on a wet end crane in a paper Mill. On the low side surveying a closed steel mill almost at the Canadian border in February (don’t think I was warm for 3 days) and surveying a mill in Finland in February. Both were extreme and all 4 SUCKED.

I’m in Alabama. I routinely play golf when the index is 110+
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Most things in life, are a dick measuring contest....

And in order to compete, you have to have a __________!
Only time I works in what could b caller real heat was when I started working in a paper box plant. We made the boxes for TV dinners and stuff like pot pies and that boxes had to get a coating of hot wax. TV dinners weren't too bad as they could only run two rows. Pot pies were something else with four rows and you had to keep up and they ran that waxer balls to the ball. You grabbed a handful and had to inspect and cull the bad ones, yeah right with something like five feet a minute and four rows. That bad bad enough but thanks to a real crappy union, women got two 15 minute breaks but the men did not. One a half hour for lunch. Have to go to the can? If you couldn't flag down a relief, tango sierra. First night on the job after eight hours I'm thinking it's over. Nope, gonna run some overtime. Started the shift at 4PM and got off at one in the morning. I worked ther for about six months until I got hired on at the post office. Dunno exactly just how hot it got there when that waxer was going full tilt but it had to be at least 120 to maybe 130. Sure was happy to give my notice when the P.O. hired me.
Paul B.

I did the same, in southern Ks in the late 60s. Now my brothers newer tractor is more than twice the size, comfortable chair, AC, and good radio.
Originally Posted by dale06

I did the same, in southern Ks in the late 60s. Now my brothers newer tractor is more than twice the size, comfortable chair, AC, and good radio.

Yep. They are a whole lot nicer now! 🤠
© 24hourcampfire