Home
Or,

do you want to arrive at your grave, 30 minutes late, with your parts worn out, a highball in your hand, saying woo-hoo, what a ride!

Quien Sabe,

GWB
That's been the plan so far. Stay tuned.

Well, I would like to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren but it is more important to me that my wife gets to see them.
Already got my money’s worth outta life, now it’s just gravy.

Tell ya what though, when racing my granddaughter back to the car at the store as we usually do, I can’t run near as fast as I could just five years back. Of course she has only gotten faster as she grows. It’s getting so even the most creative cheating on my part ain’t getting it done 🙂

Getting old ain’t fer sissies, especially when ya can watch it happen.
Dam near every, part is wore out, I played hard when younger, now they tell me iv got heart trouble! But plan to be around for awhile yet!

Getting old ain't to bad, being old SUCKS, Rio7
I’m playing the hand I was dealt. Who knows?

This morning, I feel kinda old, after dealing with a downed tree. Takes a while to recover from hard work.
I don't want to waste away in a Nursing Home [bleep] my pants like my Grandfather did. Thats for sure
I'm only 63 but I've seen a bunch of hard miles. Got another 10 hour day baling hay today. Then I need to get the boat ready for a 2 week vacation to Upstate. I hope I can go till I die... I'm not putting up with only being able to lay around.
I've already outlived a lot of folks. smile
Originally Posted by geedubya
Or,

do you want to arrive at your grave, 30 minutes late, with your parts worn out, a highball in your hand, saying woo-hoo, what a ride!

Quien Sabe,

GWB

I got dibs on all your guns and knives!!!
As I near my 65th year on this earth,I know I'm probably past middle age.I hope I can maintain good health to the end whenever that time may be.I feel I can make another 20-30yrs,but when my time comes,only God knows.
Yes, but not at the cost of cowardice. As long as I can live right, be acceptably free in my own life, and take care of mine, I will take all I can get. The minute I have to start compromising or capitulating to stay alive, I am out.
old and in bad health. I take what I can get, but I still have not gone into 'caution' mode. I enjoy life.
Getting there rapidly. In fair health thus far. Looking forward to new adventures. MTG
Or,

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Trying to do both Geedub...but you knew that...
This is my plan. I have seen too many have a miserable time in old age. Unfortunately one does not have choice but to play the hand that is dealt.

Or,

Quien Sabe,

GWB
Got some wearing out already!!

Going to be 69 this year and am pretty well wore out.

Was able to retire at 60 and am still enjoying the ride!

Still sitting on my front porch with a gun every day, "Guarding" my bird feeder! (GRIN!)

And, enjoying (little more than) a wee nip of Irish whiskey.

Sure hope to "check out" before going to a rest home.

Virgil B.
false dichotomy.......
69 and healthy but not even close to being as I was five years ago. As long as either hand works I will not see a nursing home. Ed
Don’t let the old man in.
sure we all wanna live a long time,myself i like the quiet life shooting rifles , shotguns ,fishin and hunting. but i hope to see my only grandson shoot a nice buck with me . > if i complain about some old body pain my dear wife of 46 years says : don`t let the old man out ! "as has been posted above "
I plan on living until the day I die...... But seriously, at age 71 I still do everything I want including hunt, fish, and hike. No real medical issues yet although I take a statin for cholesterol and that's way down. Stay physically active, don't eat too much junk, and avoid risky behavior. Sometimes I wonder if a lifetime of eating foods with preservatives in it has helped to "preserve" me ( grin). I retired at 66 and it's nice getting an extra 400 bucks a month versus retiring at 62, plus I spent that extra 4 years socking money into 2 different IRA's, an annuity, and an investment account.
the way i have seen some family members spend their last years/months, i just hope i am still able to throw a leg over my lowrider and redline through the gears into a brick wall when schit gets bad.
I'd prefer to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather ... rather than screaming in terror like his passengers.

:In all seriousness though, I'd rather live faster and shorter and have a life that I find meaning in rather than wasting away forgotten in some sort of geezer storage facility leading a pointless life I find no meaning in.

Tom
Why not do both? If you want to die young then drink a lot, eat lots of crap food, smoke if you really want a drawn out and painful death, or do the things you enjoy while taking reasonable care of yourself. Doesn't mean an accident or some nasty disease can't take you at any time but without your health not much of anything is fun.

Generally, I've found that the folks who brag about living fast and hard look like a used up 80 year old before they're out of the 50's and have to say things like "live fast and die young" to somehow justify to themselves their really poor choices in life.

There was a guy in my gym who was my role model. He was the epitome of a little old man, about 5' 6" maybe, had to be in his mid-eighties, but there he was in the weight room on a regular basis. He was only lifting the 5 and 10 pound weights but he was doing what he could and for an old guy he was trim and had good muscle tone.

There's nothing we can do about getting old and gray, getting fat and weak and abusing our bodies is totally under our control.

Already worn out with one foot in the grave now but still having a great time.
I’m 61 and had a lot of hard miles but am holding up well. Just finished putting a metal roof on the second story of our house. Two first floor roofs to go. I can still outwork a lot of younger men. But with some of the younger generations, that’s not saying much.

I’d like to make it 100+. I tell folks I’m planning a solo moose hunt at 100. But if I get called home before that, it’s fine. I accepted Christ many years ago and know where I’m going. I do wish to outlive my wife because of her dementia. There are no children to care for her should anything happen to me and she would be lost without me.
In the process of reinventing myself yearly based on available parts. At this point no regrets if it ended tomorrow.

WS
My grand mom is 100 and she enjoys her life immensely.

[Linked Image]
I just saw this thread. I am somewhat cursed with longevity genes. I say that because at 57 I have quite a lot of pain in many joints. Many of my great aunts and uncles lived into their 80s and 90s. My grandmother's mom died at 96. My grandmother made it to 103 and her sister to 104 or 105.

I would sure like to live long enough after retirement to enjoy it. I love birdwatching and would really like to travel the world more for birding and other activities. Hopefully my body will hold out. I will probably need a left knee replacement at some point. I have no kids and sure don't like the idea of living for decades in a nursing home. Fortunately not any dementia or Alzheimers in my family that I know of.
I'm a high mileage 66. Retired at 61 after one hip replaced. Just plain worn out. Left hip replaced last week and didn't touch the cane today except when I went in to dollar general. I have my little place, my toys, the love of two of my three sons and my grandkids. Happier with that than I have been my whole life. If today is my last day I be good with that too.
No. I love my family and don't want them to have to deal with me.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Don’t let the old man in.

My homely face has already worn out 2 bodies. I'll be 68 in October. The last 3 years has been the hardest.

kwg
My mother is 103. She's gone downhill physically this last year but her mind is still sharp. She surfs the web daily and keeps up on all the latest news.
Consider this - she was born during WWI.
She was here for the Spanish Flu that killed 100 million worldwide
She was here during the reign of the bootleg and depression criminals - Al Capone, Baby Face Nelson, Bonny and Clyde, and the rest.
She was here for the great depression. Her parents lost a farm.
She married my navy dad a couple weeks after Pearl Harbor.
In the early 50's, Dad got polio so she saw that epidemic from inside (he fully recovered but was hospitalized for 4 months)
And on and on.

It's history for all of us here but she lived it. She's had her ride.
Some of your testimonies are awesome and so are your aged parents.
I never met my great grandfather, but he lived to be 109.

God only knows how long I'll be around. I hope to make it until His return or possibly as a rewardable death Preaching the gospel like Steven. I can do without the false preachers biting on me like a bunch of zombies though. Lol. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Acts-7-54/

I hope that each and everyone including your families will get the long life that Jesus gave to His friends Martha, Mary and Lazarus.

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. "

John 11. V V V V
67 and still working full time, wife can't get her head around not having a pay check. Mostly now I deal with idiots and terminations of alimentary canals, most of them being 40ish Owners Reps and Purchasing Agents. City officials and Insurance people add to the pleasure on a regular basis and then there is the General Assembly...

One child in the bed for the rest of her life, one is a Bipolar case who was given a living kidney donation last year and that makes life hell on a regular basis. I have a grand daughter that I love to pieces and we are buds even when she screws up but the basket case can not handle the imperfection of living organisms, especially those that are 17 and standard brainless.

Wife had a kidney transplant 16 years ago now, the daughter in law gave it to her, one of the sweetest people to ever draw breath, how blessed to have her in the family. She is Sunshine!

I get up and go to work every day, and do my best to care for this crew, and do what fella ought to. I lived long enough to care for my parents as they left us, so I returned the favor of them having and caring for me when I was young and dumb. I miss them both.

I got to elk hunt a couple of times, took a bull, not book but bucket list. God helps me when I ask,
Originally Posted by RIO7

Getting old ain't to bad, being old SUCKS, Rio7

Blue, that is a damn good description. miles
Died twice already, so I am on bonus time....

It’s not like anyone of us has any say in the matter.
When it’s your time,it’s your time. We don’t have
any say in the matter.
77, going on 20 years retired, have the same wife for 54 years, 3 families, 8 grand kids
Health is good (both of us) more spending money now than ever before, more toys than time allows.
But sitting on the front porch in the morning watching the sun come up I know that I have a limited future, hope 5 to 10 years, already beat my father who died at 47, mom passed at 90.
I think now I have more respect for every day I have, thank God every morning for giving me another day.
My kids say they will never let me life in a nursing home, and I believe them, they also know that when it's time to pull the plug there will be no hesitation, being alive is much different that living, some damn hospital is not going to drain my kids inheritance by keeping m e alive with tubes and machines.
As you get older and you know your days (years) are numbered, you have a tendency to look back and realize just how fast your life has wizzed by, sorry for some of your choices, glad about others, but would not do it over .
Enjoy every day, see the sunshine, smell the roses, love you wife and family.
I’ve had a front row seat to a lot of death. In my job, it’s a daily thing. One thing that I realized a while back, is that it’s not always a bad thing. When I’m called to a residence where a person has passed away in their bed or favorite chair, they are over 80 and there is nothing suspicious, I say to myself “winner, winner!” Of course it’s sad for the family and we remain professional, empathetic and dignified but in my head I’m saying “Congratulations! You did it!
The one recommendation I have for everyone is to have the necessary arrangements made so that your family is not struggling with those decisions, at that point. I hope to be a winner someday.
I do not want to reach the point where I have limited mobility, can't do the activities that make me tick and my schedule is centered around medical appointments. medication and bowel movements. No thanks, I never looked forward to the "golden years".
It telling God your plans makes Him laugh, he is cracking up reading this thread. It soothes a simple mind to think they have a choice in such things.
I have been watching videos on how to get healthy.
I am about to have my fasting insulin blood levels measured.
© 24hourcampfire