Home
Posted By: shaman Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Well, that's not quite true. I've hunted feral hogs. I even saw a couple sneak through a densely populated part of northern CIncinnati, just south of the Hamilton County fairgrounds one morning on the way to work. This was my first sighting of them near the farm in Bracken County, Kentucky.

I was driving to Falmouth, KY-- the county seat of the next county over, and late afternoon I spied a big black boar wallowing in a stock pond. He would have easily gone over 200 lbs. I've been hearing of them for 15 years, but this was the first one I laid eyes on. I guess they're coming. Eventually we'll start seeing damage at the farm. Sigh!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
There’s 2 types of hunting spots.

Those that have hogs...
Those that don’t have hogs **yet**.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
I have seen their mud holes and tree rub mud markings in area 41 and 44A.
10, 12 yrs ago I seen 5 or 6 across Veghel DZ in 44a by the Ky offpost border.
Spoke with the fed warden .
He said the 44A ones were probably mennonite pigs the retard lets free range feed.
The ones in 41 were feral and being dealt with inside of fence traps set up by 2 usda shooters.
They were killing alot of em by live fire base.
They restricted ag lease farming for several yrs on the western border to certain areas to concentrate em and baited the schit outta em into those fence traps.
Then they put restrictions on ag lease farming around the post border areas to help prevent hogs being drawn in.
Srebrenica hog cleansing ops.
Seen 1 guy bring in a 250 300 pd hog back around 2011ish to tag.
Area 43 kill Ky border area....
Black and white piebald looking thing ( correct term???)
Probably a mennonite free range feeding hog....
Dunno......
I woulda let the fugging thing lay where it died.
Yotes and buzzards gotta eat too

I actually aint seen sign of hogs in years on post since 2012 2014ish.

Dont hear much if any at all about feral hogs around here hunting off post on private or public land either.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by shaman
I guess they're coming. Eventually we'll start seeing damage at the farm. Sigh!

Not necessarily. They can live anywhere but I think they tend to gravitate towards swampy areas, around rivers, creeks, etc.

Last place I hunted, it was near a large river swamp ecosystem but a couple of miles upland from it and there are plenty of hogs in that swamp. I expected to see a lot of them but in 8 years I only saw a pair one afternoon and killed one of them. One was caught on a game cam. There was one instance of them rooting around one of our stands. I knew a guy on a neighboring club which leased land closer to the river and they saw hogs all the time.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Saw my first hog of the day this morning, I was at Walmart. ps....NO ammo.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Once you got em you ain’t getting rid of them
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Set up a few game cameras. Want take much time to find out if you have them. Hasbeen
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21

If you have seen 1 or 2 hogs today, there will be 20 next week. Rio7
Posted By: hanco Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
They multiply quickly
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by hanco
They multiply quickly

Faster than rabbits. I lost at least 60% of my oats this year due to hog damage. They damaged 30-40% of my Sudan crop so far. Very destructive.

Jim
Posted By: slumlord Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
See em at the walmart on payday
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
They have been in Pendleton County for several years. Church cemetery got plowed up pretty good two years ago. Had a spot in front of our barn and another behind the house got rooted up last year. However, given that the river is 1/4 mile away, and all of the bottom crop land, never see them during daylight hours. SIL and grandsons have game cameras setup around the farm from time to time. Have never caught a picture of one, yet.

Of course, no one had any black bears on camera in our county either. Until one ran across the road in front of a school bus full of kids in broad daylight last year.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
200=125...
Posted By: MOGC Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
200=125...

Most likely. Experience counts.
Posted By: JPro Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
My first one, I could only see her head at 150yds or so. Figured she was 100-150lbs. Put one in her ear hole and she flopped. Ol' gal went close to 400lbs. I'm still a crap judge on pig sizes until they are dead on the ground.

They have taken over in my area since that time (this was maybe 2004 or so). Now there are facebook pages the locals are running where they use cell-activated gates and pen traps, catching hundreds a year, being next to people's homes and even in the city limits of our little town. I'd hate to see how many we'd have if those guys weren't knocking a dent in them. Dad had one on his front porch last year, trying to get in the glass door (dogs ran it up the hill from the creek bottom). If the door had been open, he'd have come straight in the house.
Posted By: shaman Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by RJY66

Not necessarily. They can live anywhere but I think they tend to gravitate towards swampy areas, around rivers, creeks, etc.

Last place I hunted, it was near a large river swamp ecosystem but a couple of miles upland from it and there are plenty of hogs in that swamp. I expected to see a lot of them but in 8 years I only saw a pair one afternoon and killed one of them. One was caught on a game cam. There was one instance of them rooting around one of our stands. I knew a guy on a neighboring club which leased land closer to the river and they saw hogs all the time.

The hog I saw was at one of the high points of the county just off a road that runs down the top of a ridge.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
200=125...

I've actually hunted boar. This was bigger than my last one (180 lbs) and smaller than my buddy's (220).

YMMV.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
They have been in Pendleton County for several years. Church cemetery got plowed up pretty good two years ago. Had a spot in front of our barn and another behind the house got rooted up last year. However, given that the river is 1/4 mile away, and all of the bottom crop land, never see them during daylight hours. SIL and grandsons have game cameras setup around the farm from time to time. Have never caught a picture of one, yet.

Of course, no one had any black bears on camera in our county either. Until one ran across the road in front of a school bus full of kids in broad daylight last year.

I heard about that. Last I looked, the bear had finally moved on. He was wintering in the foundation of the old mill at Browningsville. My neighbor, O.T., was the one to spot him first over in our neck of the woods. That bear would drop by my place every fall, shred some sumac bushes and then take a large dump and claw up a couple trees. That stopped happening a couple years ago.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21

Tell that to the ranchers in dry ass Mediterranean climate California where there are no swampy areas, rivers, and what creeks there are sometimes (many times) are dry for months at a time.

If they can find a spot to wallow under an irrigation sprinkler, or tear up vineyard, them pigs seem to be as happy as anywhere else.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Tell that to the ranchers in dry ass Mediterranean climate California where there are no swampy areas, rivers, and what creeks there are sometimes (many times) are dry for months at a time.

If they can find a spot to wallow under an irrigation sprinkler, or tear up vineyard, them pigs seem to be as happy as anywhere else.

Just relating my experience, that is all. I was always thinking I could kill a young one or two, only happened once in 8 years while the guys a way over saw and killed them fairly regularly. But if the OP thinks or wants to think he is going to be overrun with them because he saw one so be it....could be. I guess time will tell.

Crazy thing was, it being South Carolina, the deer were being baited. When I first got invited to join the situation, I didn't think they would be able to keep corn on the ground because of the hogs that I assumed would be there. They never bothered it not once.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
One of our members from Australia posted some wild hog hunting videos not long ago. I commented to him about the dry arid country in the videos. He replied that was water available out there. Hogs can eat just about anything from mushrooms to deer guts to grain, to clover, and a bunch more. Their diet will also include anything a buzzard would eat. As I got to know them I quit eating pork. Moses was right.
Posted By: lotech Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
There’s 2 types of hunting spots.

Those that have hogs...
Those that don’t have hogs **yet**.

My wife and I bought just under 200 acres in rural North Texas some years ago. A retired vet who had a place down the road stopped by one day not long after we bought our property. Upon leaving he asked if I'd seen any hogs and I told him I hadn't. He said, "You will". A very true statement. I've eaten wild hog and couldn't tell it from store bought pork. After going to a seminar and slide show presentation on feral hogs about twenty years ago, I decided I'd never eat wild hog again.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
Buddy has a place about 17 miles north of Del Rio, Tx.
That part of the country is basically rock and desert.
Lots of cedars, a few mesquites, some cactus and Soto bushes.

Only water on the place is in water troughs thy gravity feed from a storage tank.

The place has been in the family since the mid 80s and they never had hogs until 4 or 5 years ago.
Now they are catching or killing them every time they go down there.

And in the same frame of time their deer population has dropped dramatically.
Posted By: jjenkins Re: Saw my first hog - 07/19/21
People here in South Carolina are always complaining about how destructive the hogs are on their fields. But when you volunteer to come and take care of the hogs they like oh no I don't want anyone hunting on my place. I have even offered to trap them same answer no.
Originally Posted by HTDUCK

Only water on the place is in water troughs thy gravity feed from a storage tank.

The place has been in the family since the mid 80s and they never had hogs until 4 or 5 years ago.

Yep, Hanco always puts up pictures of all the hogs they trap and kill in his part of Texas which seems quite arid. I know nothing of the area, I haven't made it west of Houston. Even though I know hogs will eat ANY THING, it always puzzles me what they thrive on out there.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
Hogs do well in dry places as long as they can get water.

Like stock tanks,fish ponds and other pools.

So far i have killed the only hog in this area but there are a bunch in the north,north/east part.

They do mess up the cotton fields.
Posted By: hanco Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21

Yep, Hanco always puts up pictures of all the hogs they trap and kill in his part of Texas which seems quite arid. I know nothing of the area, I haven't made it west of Houston. Even though I know hogs will eat ANY THING, it always puzzles me what they thrive on out there.

We have a good size running creek that runs through the place I hunt. That’s why we have so many. I don’t know how there is enough food to support so many. We can see into Lake Buchanan from our lease.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
The GW informed me that snares were illegal to use on hogs when trapping season is closed. A person needs to kill every hog - pig they see.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21

That’s too bad on the deer population. Those are some huge deer there around Del Rio!
Posted By: arkypete Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
I ceased going to the beach because the quantities of hogs on the beach.
Posted By: okie Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
We watched a spotter plane last month come over it was soon joined by a helicopter . We sat on the front porch and watched them shoot for at least 25 minutes just a mile north of us then they moved off to the southeast. We went out a few nights later with thermals and saw over 50 in a couple of hours. Hard to control even from the air.
Posted By: poboy Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
I saw one taking a dirt nap Friday.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
No hogs in this neck of the woods. They are in neighboring counties, but not in big numbers.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Saw my first hog - 07/20/21
I love to hunt them - there were lots of them in Florida .
I'd like to buy some hogs and get a start of them here , not too many just a few here and there .
Posted By: MOGC Re: Saw my first hog - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'd like to buy some hogs and get a start of them here , not too many just a few here and there .

Good Lord that's stupid.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Saw my first hog - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Good Lord that's stupid.

smile
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Saw my first hog - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

If you have seen 1 or 2 hogs today, there will be 20 next week. Rio7

Yep.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Saw my first hog - 07/21/21
Really large cockroaches!!
© 24hourcampfire