Home
Posted By: Ringman Socrates - 07/19/21
In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation of wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:
- Do you know what I just heard about your friend?
- A moment, replied Socrates. Before you tell me, I would like to test you the three sieves.
- The three sieves?
- Yes, continued Socrates. Before telling anything about the others, it's good to take the time to filter what you mean. I call it the test of the three sieves. The first sieve is the TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?
- No, I just heard it.
- Very good! So, you don't know if it's true. We continue with the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. What you want to tell me about my friend, is it good?
- Oh, no! On the contrary.
- So, questioned Socrates, you want to tell me bad things about him and you're not even sure they're true? Maybe you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful that I know what you're going to tell me about this friend?
- No, really.
- So, concluded Socrates, what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?
Philosophy of wisdom. ⚓
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Yes,
Posted By: Muffin Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
'...let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only a word that will edify, based on the need of the moment and will give grace to those that hear...'
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Very good
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Ain't no Socrates around here....
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything."
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Socrates - 07/19/21

There are not direct references (text) to So-Crates..

All of his words came from quote from his students.

Interesting reading any of this on the Net.
Posted By: deflave Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Read most of the posts on this site and you''ll quickly surmise that society is filled with gossiping kghunts.

Posted By: CCCC Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
I do not know for certain that Socrates had a great reputation for wisdom in Ancient Greece. But, I do know that we had such a reputation as a "teacher". His applied technique of stimulation and exploration through questioning often is called "the Socratic method". In many learning situations, it can be very, very effective. You probably have experienced teachers who have done this. It can be especially effective when honestly self-applied.

The Socratic method is simply the logic analytical front, and middle engines that helps make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.

Then again most people react vs. think - so it’s always a powerful and relavent tool.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Years ago, Idaho had a governor named Don Samuelson, aka Big Dumb Don. He made a speech where he quoted something about young people rioting in the streets and attributed his quote to So Krates.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The Socratic method is simply the logic analytical front, and middle engines that helps make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.
Then again most people react vs. think - so it’s always a powerful and relavent tool.
I would not argue that those are not components, but would that the "method" goes well beyond those.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
make sure you aren’t full of BS when you start thinking about something.

So true!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
The short version:

Is it True? Is it nice? Is it necessary?

A question for those who studied these things? Was Socrates a proponent of "man/boy love"?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You sure? I thought he were Odessa's boy??
Posted By: slumlord Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
A gay ass World Lit professor we got for ENG2010 was thrilled with the hypothesis that it might be so.

The homo said Voltaire was gay and that Gilgamesh he assigned has homo theme to it too.

Only thing he didn’t assign that was suspect gayish was some Frederick Douglas thing.
Oh yeah...Siddartha

Some gay crap too
The method looks for the lack of using logic in a Given context, and then shifting the context to test if the arrived upon conclusion actually used logic vs.using emotion, bias, … lack of thought).
Keeping in mind it’s an iterative process where you change the context and “rewind” to have them apply their logic again to see where it failed frankly wasn’t used at all.

Very, very few people (and I mean very few) actually do an exhaustive dive on any one given decision, so the SO-Crates method is actually an “audit” approach to see if what you did was bullshit…. Meaning - one would / should only use it to validate your decisions are crazy, biased, unfair, stupid, …. Or in fact sound.

AI guys originally tried to apply it wrong ALOT… as the up front engine ALL THE TIME, vs in discovery mode, or in audit mode….
For reaction time, we all make rules to speed the input to output response time (is that my hand I smell burning on the stove ? )….

Anyway, the best part about Socrates method is that you don’t have to be the bad guy… you simply tweak the context, and ask the guy to apply himself so HE is the bad guy.
.. I think REALLY good dad’s do that with their kids..

smile

Originally Posted by CCCC

I would not argue that those are not components, but would that the "method" goes well beyond those.

Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

You sure? I thought he were Odessa's boy??

That, I'm unaware of, but I do know that there are several people here who do not hesitate to say nasty things. At times that may be what's needed.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
He ded.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
A gay ass World Lit professor we got for ENG2010 was thrilled with the hypothesis that it might be so.

The homo said Voltaire was gay and that Gilgamesh he assigned has homo theme to it too.

Only thing he didn’t assign that was suspect gayish was some Frederick Douglas thing.
Oh yeah...Siddartha

Some gay crap too

Jeebus,

I have two of those books.

I guess I'm a turnip truck faller offer. I didn't get the gay part.

Sheesh, is nothing right anymore.
Which of the Greeks overcame a speech impediment by talking with pebbles in his mouth?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Which of the Greeks overcame a speech impediment by talking with pebbles in his mouth?

Arlen Specter?
I looked it up, I can't spell the name.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Socrates - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Dang...Gilgamesh was engaged in pfaggotry with Enkidu's hairy ape ass? I thought all the wrestling and embracing was just bros being dudes, not some Brokeback Beginnings: The Fertile Crescent sh.it

So much for platonic man love in ancient lit.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Socrates - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Read most of the posts on this site and you''ll quickly surmise that society is filled with gossiping kghunts.

Priceless
Posted By: CCCC Re: Socrates - 07/20/21

The great Greek patriot, speech writer and orator - practiced above the sound of the sea - name was Demosthenes
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Socrates - 07/20/21

If the pebbles don't work for you...
You can try balls.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Socrates - 07/20/21
“I drank what?”

- Socrates
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Socrates - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by Ringman
In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation of wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:
- Do you know what I just heard about your friend?
- A moment, replied Socrates. Before you tell me, I would like to test you the three sieves.
- The three sieves?
- Yes, continued Socrates. Before telling anything about the others, it's good to take the time to filter what you mean. I call it the test of the three sieves. The first sieve is the TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?
- No, I just heard it.
- Very good! So, you don't know if it's true. We continue with the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. What you want to tell me about my friend, is it good?
- Oh, no! On the contrary.
- So, questioned Socrates, you want to tell me bad things about him and you're not even sure they're true? Maybe you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful that I know what you're going to tell me about this friend?
- No, really.
- So, concluded Socrates, what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?
Philosophy of wisdom. ⚓

Except it's highly unlikely Socrates ever uttered such words, and this is missing the usual punch line as to why Socrates didn't discover his wife was sleeping with Diogenes.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Socrates - 07/20/21
What about Kahlil Gibran? Gay 2?
© 24hourcampfire