Home

Air streaming ?
Nothing
Bought one new long time ago. Was total junk. Warranty replaced the exhaust valves twice in the first 20,000 miles. Then I dumped it.
I've owned two. they are fantastic driving cars, but expensive to repair if something goes sideways. To replace the air filter on one of them you had to rip the old one out in pieces, lol. Not a highlight of German engineering.
Wife has one,I can hardly fit in it.
Had a 89 A4 and an 04 Allroad and drove both for about160k each. Other than the Allroad being a pain in the ass for tire balancing due to the airbag suspension I had zero issues with them. They drove really well and the 2.7 twin turbo in the Allroad was a beast.
Prefer an innie.
Driving an allroad for a couple years through the winters made me a huge fan.

Tremendous driving outfits. Tremendously complex vehicles making them expensive to repair and maintain.

But when you drive 30k in the winter months, having quattro awd system was the absolute best. Combined with the comfort and performance. It made me a car guy.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Prefer an innie.

Stop it !! smile
Prefer an innie.

Did you mean "enema?" grin

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Prefer an innie.

Did you mean "enema?" grin

L.W.

Definitely NOT!!
Posted By: efw Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/20/21
Their general unreliability and the massive expense of parts are two things that set them apart in my mind.

Don’t know if that’s what you mean by “special” tho wink
they are no better, and no worse, than similarly priced cars. As with any brand, there are going to be apocryphal and anecdotal stories to back all veiws.
I never got the draw to audis but if I wanted a car like that it would benz or BMW
Probably the little man purse you can get with the little circles on it.
All german cars are over engineered, with crap for e!ectrical systems. Just my experience! Never owned a Mercedes, they might be an exception!
We're on our third Audi (an A6 Allroad) and we've always had good luck with them (the others were an A7 and an A5). We've never had one for more than 100,000 miles, though, since my wife tends to want a new car every 2-3 years and even when she was commuting she never put more than 30,000 miles on one in a year.

Personally, I liked the BMW that this Allroad replaced, but it was crap in the snow. We're about to drive the new Audi from MT to CA and back as its first real test. You can knock German cars all day long for reliability and cost, but they shine going across Idaho and Nevada rapidly and in comfort. Long distance, high speed driving is why we like the German cars (plus, the ashtrays hold all of our relatives).
My Dad bought an A8 several years back. It is, definitely, a great drive.

Didn't get much out of it, only about 8,000 miles before he died. But the tires already needed replacement. About 5,000 of those 8000 miles were pretty fun, went by really fast, road trips to Cody, Salt Lake, and fast day drives through and around Glacier Park. Running 100 plus is nothing in that car, great precision in cornering, super brakes, even with the tires howling you couldn't "upset" it. You COULD pitch in sideways and it would leave four black stripes. After one particularly good run over Looking Glass, Dad pulled over and just said, "Kid, this is the best f^cking car I've ever had, even better than the Speedster."

Dad's gone, cousins have the car, so it's their problem now. Trunk open is already fritzed on it and I don't want to know anything more. But it was great fun, just a joy to drive fast and hard.
i've had 2, both a-4s. the thing i think separates them is driveability. they corner like they are on rails. i'm 6-4 and i fit fine. on the current car (2017) i even have to move the seat forward. repairs are something to consider though. they're not like toyotas. both great in the snow. the 'mouse' that controls a lot of functions is easier to use than the bmws and mercedes i have driven.

No idea, but I’ll take a shot....
$1,000.00+ brake or muffler jobs?
Remsen,
I haven’t had coffee in that manner in some time.
Holy heck that was well done … damn.
👏
Have driven a 2018 A4 for over 3 years now. The level of integration among the electronics - esp the nav system and its display and output - is impressive and much better than the other well known German and Japanese cars I’ve driven since then. That includes the more expensive brands. The car is powerful enough for me and the drive system and handling quite good. My prior car was an E-39 M5, which while much more powerful, immensely faster and better handling, was quite expensive and difficult to keep in top running order, so off it went.

BTW, an early 2000s A6 was a piece of junk, but since then BMW/VW/Porsche have incorporated and adopted TPS - the effect of that decision is clear.

Although I’m now in a Tacoma and really like it better for my current use, the new Audis are very good and reliable cars. Not all of the models but all of the more popular ones. YMMV.
My only experience is driving my father-in-laws Audi 5000. Don’t remember the year, 80 something. Had the reputation of not being in park or something. Was a pig and not to reliable. Had the 5 cylinder engine, gutless.
I always heard that an Audi was a Volkswagen that wanted to grow up to be a Mercedes Benz....
They are fast, and have an awful lot of maintenance!
Originally Posted by Remsen
We're on our third Audi (an A6 Allroad) and we've always had good luck with them (the others were an A7 and an A5). We've never had one for more than 100,000 miles, though, since my wife tends to want a new car every 2-3 years and even when she was commuting she never put more than 30,000 miles on one in a year.

Personally, I liked the BMW that this Allroad replaced, but it was crap in the snow. We're about to drive the new Audi from MT to CA and back as its first real test. You can knock German cars all day long for reliability and cost, but they shine going across Idaho and Nevada rapidly and in comfort. Long distance, high speed driving is why we like the German cars (plus, the ashtrays hold all of our relatives).

LOL
Prefer an innie.

Dammit - I am too late ......
Audi RS 6. Almost 600hp, 0-60 sec in 3 seconds and 190mph top speed sounds fun in a wagon. But I’m sure your Buick is “just as good” as a POS Audi… LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
they are rental cars in germany. much like impalas, etc in this country. people buy them for the fancy logo and name.
Originally Posted by rem141r
they are rental cars in germany. much like impalas, etc in this country. people buy them for the fancy logo and name.

Which models have you owned/driven?
Posted By: ERK Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/20/21
How much does that station wagon cost.
Originally Posted by ERK

$110k.
Bright side is after 3 1/2 more years of Biden it will be worth four times that in inflation adjusted dollars.
Buddy had an s4 that was a hoot to drive.

Like most German cars, there is a reason they sell for pennies on the dollar when they get about a 100k on them.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Which models have you owned/driven?

ha, i knew i'd snag one.

i drove a lot of them in germany as rentals. mostly a4's & 5's. they were ok but nothing special. i could get 240km/h out of the a5's if i had a long stretch of autobahn. i would never buy one but there are a lot of cars i would never buy that people love so take it for what its worth.

The rental ones in Europe, and I have rented quite a few over there, are not the same cars as we get in retail here. The rentals are very bare bones amenities wise and invariably have the lowest power engine, often a diesel.

we're due for new cars after we retire (my 535 is more than 160K and the 4Runner is at 210K) and my wife is interested in a Q5. With my experience with my A4 and Allroad I won't hesitate go Q5 if that's what she says she wants.
My brother works for a company that has owned several high-end German cars, usually the high-hp versions. He said they are a blast to drive but the values go off a cliff as the mileage goes up. Regular service costs were astonishing if you wanted to keep them running. Seemed crazy to see a $100k+ car that was only 5 years old and was 60%+ depreciated. A Japanese would fare better here, but they make few models to compete for performance.
Originally Posted by ERK

"Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go?"

(Old hot rod shop sign)
Originally Posted by Poconojack

No idea, but I’ll take a shot....
$1,000.00+ brake or muffler jobs?

I would venture to guess that's a bit low.

One of my colleagues has one and while it was in the shop for routine service he mentioned to the service writer one of the marker lights was out. (I think this one was under the front valance, or something like that.)

The quote to repair it came in at 4k.
Every A-hole in colorado has to buy an Audi thinking they can drive 80 on icy roads. Best part about an A4... you can park it next to any other A4 from the last 20 years and they look the same. Guess germans are resistant to change.
Lease. Don’t buy.
My one friend couldn't say enough good things about them until the repair bills started rolling in on a regular basis.

Just buy a well maintained used Toyota/Lexus

The money you say on maintenance you can go to Alaska fishin every year & drink beer
Posted By: DMc Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/20/21
Prefer an innie.

LOL
Posted By: DMc Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/20/21
The TT catches my eye.
My late mother's last car was an A-4 and my brother and some friends have had several. They've always been enjoyable cars to drive and travel in but, in my opinion, too much weird schitt goes wrong with them and it costs too damn much to get them fixed.
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Had one, was a blast to drive. Like taking corners posted at 25 mph at 60 mph fun. Amazing in snow with Pirelli snow tires, almost could not get it to slide.

The kid got dinged in it by another car. Took two months and twice as money as the insurance company thought to fix. That was at the dealer.

Same kid now drives a BMW. Took it to a shop to get the alternator replaced, they quoted $1,600. He did it himself instead, three bolts and an online alternator for about $200, Some of the repair bills on German brands is because the shops know they can get away with it.
My 20 year old son bought an ‘18 A4 last summer. I warned him he wouldn’t be able to afford to fix it if it breaks down. He wasn’t worried because it had something like 10k miles of warranty left. In the 4 months he had it the dealer put over $15k worth of repairs into it. Transmission, multiple CV axles and another sizable repair I can’t recall. It was in the shop more than on the road. He traded it in just before the warranty ran out.
Had an ‘01 A4 S-line in Germany, fwd v6. Awesome. Never a lick of trouble, solid, smooth, quick, was euro spec or else woulda brought home. Bought an ‘08 S4 wagon, last year for the v8. Faster, but not as solid a build quality feel, and the sob would go down hard-dead about once a year, necessitating a flat bed. Had the dealer svc plan for 7years - but for that i’d have gone broke. Eventually had an indie do a service, and he politely pointed out a few things f’d up (by dealer) that recommended fixing. Just could not catch a break with that f’n car. Was a blast cross-country, though. Good in snow, but honestly the ‘01 a4 was better. Pointed that sucker home in rural Bayern winters a few times that were really pushing my luck - she always came thru, though. Can’t see spending what they want on a new one today, particularly living rural.
Posted By: DMc Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Had one, was a blast to drive. Like taking corners posted at 25 mph at 60 mph fun. Amazing in snow with Pirelli snow tires, almost could not get it to slide.

The kid got dinged in it by another car. Took two months and twice as money as the insurance company thought to fix. That was at the dealer.

Same kid now drives a BMW. Took it to a shop to get the alternator replaced, they quoted $1,600. He did it himself instead, three bolts and an online alternator for about $200, Some of the repair bills on German brands is because the shops know they can get away with it.

Hey Dutch,
Thanks for the review. What year was yours?

BMW's and Mercedes are rental cars too in Germany. As others have said they share the characteristics of other German cars, namely complex and expensive to fix. The Audi's shine in their all wheel drive system and handling. Owning one out of warranty can be a risk unless you know a good reasonable mechanic.
No doubt the mechanic’s hourly rate is special…
I'll bet they still have vented batteries situated under the rear seat. Cost a fortune to replace.
My wife has a 2012 A6 that I bought new in late 2011.
We have had very good luck with it and it rides and drives like a dream. It sticks to the road like a spider! Effortless to drive.
Like almost all vehicles, we had a few minor warranty issues in the first few years. And over the last 5-6 years, A wheel bearing, oil changes, and tires. That's about it. Of course it only has about 50K on it.
I'd buy another one without hesitation.
Personally, I dont like BMWs and find Mercedes can be a little austentatious. Just my opinion.
All nice cars are pricey. But so is quality food and firearms.
Posted By: EdM Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/21/21
When we moved back here from Australia my wife needed a car as we left her 06 Suburban in Idaho. She wanted a mid-sized crossover. This was 2016. We went out and drove a number of them, Ford, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda and likely others. Hands down we both preferred the Audi Q5. The particular one we drove and later bought is a notch up, performance wise, from the base turbo 4 being a supercharged 6. Quality of build, ergonomics, performance, it had it all. We have been very pleased with the car with zero issues at 70K miles. We recently drove it 2K miles to get here in Idaho. Maintenance has been oil/filter every 10K, air filter at 30K cabin filter every couple of years and break flush every 3K. I do all of the maintenance short of the break flush which cost $125. We recently rejoined dog ownership (blue heeler) and next year she plans on getting another (red heeler) so has decided she wants a larger vehicle. It will likely be an Audi Q7 though we will look at Genesis as well.
Prefer an F250 7.3
Originally Posted by EdM
When we moved back here from Australia my wife needed a car as we left her 06 Suburban in Idaho. She wanted a mid-sized crossover. This was 2016. We went out and drove a number of them, Ford, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda and likely others. Hands down we both preferred the Audi Q5. The particular one we drove and later bought is a notch up, performance wise, from the base turbo 4 being a supercharged 6. Quality of build, ergonomics, performance, it had it all. We have been very pleased with the car with zero issues at 70K miles. We recently drove it 2K miles to get here in Idaho. Maintenance has been oil/filter every 10K, air filter at 30K cabin filter every couple of years and break flush every 3K. I do all of the maintenance short of the break flush which cost $125. We recently rejoined dog ownership (blue heeler) and next year she plans on getting another (red heeler) so has decided she wants a larger vehicle. It will likely be an Audi Q7 though we will look at Genesis as well.

Why a genesis?
Only German/euro made car we own right now is my daughters VW golf Tdi. It’s been trouble free and she loves it. Had a Cooper that was the biggest POS we’ve owned, a LR discovery series 1&2 that were a close second and third. Settled on a Land Cruiser and 15 years from now when we’re 65 we’ll probably trade it on another if they’re available, and it will be our last vehicle.
Posted By: add Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/21/21
Waaay over engineered, like most German stuff.
Good cars and generally good owners. Unfortunately a high percentage of the subset of drivers who are wankers tend to be driving Audis down here.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DMc
The TT catches my eye.

Hey Dutch,
Thanks for the review. What year was yours?

Ow, geez, been a while. 2004 vintage?
BIL bought one, sold it after a few repair bills. I warned him, it’s the kind of car to ditch before the warranty expires. They do drive nicely.
Posted By: add Re: What makes an Audi so special? - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Good cars and generally good owners. Unfortunately a high percentage of the subset of drivers who are wankers tend to be driving Audis down here.

aka - money pits over 90K.

Good Luck!
I like my 2011 S5 Prestige V8 6spd manual, have had it to 174 mph felt like 74 mph handles like it on rails, comfortable for long trips quiet ride.
When speaking of maint costs be prepared to dig deep in pocket, clutch was due $4200 at Indy shop I did it for $1200 including flywheel. Some maint items you need Audi's service software and cable.
Looking at $60-70k autos at the time glad I chose it.
Battery is in trunk it a AGM
Never really into Audis. My friend owns one but he's a mechanic does his own work. I've owned BMW but they're rediculous. What a pile. Now have a Mercedes E350. That one is worth it. Maintenance is not bad. I can do alot myself but the key is to stay away from stealerships. Find a good independent who knows what he's doing.
you couldn't give me an Audi or a VW product for free....
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
What makes an Audi so special?

They offer the perception of being cool.

People don't care if they are good cars or not. It's all about the logo. Dimwits lap it up.
Having made a living working on Euro cars since the late 80s, you couldn't give me a VW/Audi product for free.
Left a Jag dealership in the early 90s and went to an independent shop.
I was cross trained into the rest of the Euro cars there.

I absolutely hate front wheel drive cars, both working on them and the way they drive/handle.
Never even changed the oil on an VW/Audi product.
I refused to work on them period.

I own 2 BMWs
One is a 98 M3 Sedan that has 221K on it
The other is an 05 530I that has 160K on it.
There are 3 other vehicles in the fleet, all Fords.
Oh year and that Audi emblem ?

I call it the four interlocking rings of automotive agony.
Originally Posted by Stix
Lease. Don’t buy.

LMAO!
2021 Toyota Camry AWD V6 - 5.8 seconds 0-60 time
Originally Posted by KFWA

Camry. Latin for boring and built to stay that way. grin

For all you haters. The 08 4Runner has recently been having the VSC, Check Engine and Hill Descent lights come on. No apparent issues with driving it. I asked the shop to look into it. "Oh, there's TSB on that". She started tallying up the various hoses and valves to fix the issue and quit at $1800 in parts and called me. Hard pass on fixing that issue on a vehicle north of 206K.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
BIL bought one, sold it after a few repair bills. I warned him, it’s the kind of car to ditch before the warranty expires. They do drive nicely.

Thats why most people lease an Audi, BMW or Benz. They all go to crap after the last lease payment. No More German or US made anything for me other then riflescope ,binoculars .
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by KFWA

Camry. Latin for boring and built to stay that way. grin

For all you haters. The 08 4Runner has recently been having the VSC, Check Engine and Hill Descent lights come on. No apparent issues with driving it. I asked the shop to look into it. "Oh, there's TSB on that". She started tallying up the various hoses and valves to fix the issue and quit at $1800 in parts and called me. Hard pass on fixing that issue on a vehicle north of 206K.

I just use elec tape over those lights on the ‘95 Taco and ‘01 Sienna. Both drive fine with no issues.
It seems that their big payoff is for those who drive them hard and fast - they are much better on the edge than most sedans.
© 24hourcampfire