Home
Posted By: stxhunter Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Got a call from my buddy Geoff Austin, He runs the Rudy's redfish pro tournament series and Hook Spit junior angler series plus fishing and duck hunting guide. Leighton has hunted with him and me several times.
Two yrs ago the owner of Rudy's BBQ and other restaurants, Creed Ford, bought a several thousand-acre ranch ( Rusty Hook Ranch) in Matagorda county that has access to the salt to fish as well as hunting, Geoff has spent the last two yrs getting it set up to be a first-class fishing, deer/hog hunting, and bird hunting ( ducks, dove, bobwhite quail, sandhill cranes) They set up a big quail raising facility.

He got someone local for the tile work in facilities for the hunters, well that guy has been flaky, so he called me today to go up there and knock it out. they got a deadline and already have hunters booked for Sept 1. I'm headed up mon to get started probably a couple of weeks work, well get to hunt hogs and fish while I'm up there and Creed said I was welcome to come hunt whenever I want to.
Had one shower job cancel today I was counting on, one door closes a better one opens.

Geoff
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Leighton with us
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
You need to be hunting whales off the Pequod with that look. Nice red heads.
Posted By: Teal Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Rudy's was one of my favorite places to eat in San Antonio.

Whenever someone ETS'd or left the mission - was ALWAYS a going away meal at Rudy's.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Rog, did you know Kamo's smokin a "J" in that picture ?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
lol, that's a cigarette.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21

SURE !!!

wink
Posted By: hanco Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Kill some damn pigs!!
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
That's awesome buddy, I hope you down as many hogs as tiles!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Sounds like a great opportunity!

I may have missed it. Is your Pop's home yet?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Cool beans Rog, congrats 😎
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
That’s cool Roger. Hope you have a great time and make lots of money too.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Cool Roger.Make sure to take the strongest mosquito repellent you can find.Those Matagorda mosquitoes attack with vengeance,they swarm like bees and that's no joke.Also beware of rattle snakes.They have lots of them too.Lots of alligators too.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Good to hear, both for you and Rudy’s.

Love Rudy’s. Been to a couple of them in the San Antonio region, plus have hit the one in ABQ several times. Was standing in a line out the door in ABQ and realized wife and I had gotten between some young airmen in flight overalls. The pilots had scheduled a training flight so they could hit Rudy's in ABQ for lunch. Better use of tax dollars than most of what DC spends it on.

The line moved fast, and that day we found a place to park only half a block away. I took home some Rudy’s Rub and had the kids order more for me on my birthday. Good eats, and good to learn the owner’s leanings.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Love Rudy’s. Been to a couple of them in the San Antonio region, plus have hit the one in ABQ several times. Was standing in a line out the door in ABQ and realized wife and I had gotten between some young airmen in flight overalls. The pilots had scheduled a training flight so they could hit Rudy's in ABQ for lunch. Better use of tax dollars than most of what DC spends it on.

The line moved fast, and that day we found a place to park only half a block away. I took home some Rudy’s Rub and had the kids order more for me on my birthday. Good eats, and good to learn the owner’s leanings.

When my mom died they supplied all the food for the gettogether after the funeral at no cost.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Okanagan

When my mom died they supplied all the food for the gettogether after the funeral at no cost.

Wow!

How’s your Dad doing, Roger ???
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
He's doing great.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
He's doing great.

Good deal! Glad to hear that.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Been home for two weeks tomorrow.
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
That is awesome enjoy yourself and kill them dam hogs.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
I ate at Rudys last week, and almost went again today, but got wrapped up with things. Love the brisket.
Posted By: antlers Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
The Rudy’s in Colorado Springs on the way to Manitou Springs serves all kinda breakfast tacos. I don’t know if all Rudy’s do, but this one really does some breakfast business...!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Been home for two weeks tomorrow.

Good to hear!
Posted By: EdM Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
The original Rudy's is not far from me and I am not a fan. Bone dry meat...
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Related to the place off I-10 just past 6-flags north of San Antonio?

Went there almost every day for lunch while in school at Lackland. They always heaped up the servings on us in uniform. I'm not a BBQ connoisseur, but I liked it. Certainly better than the vineager heavy bbq on pork you find in the east IMO.
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Related to the place off I-10 just past 6-flags north of San Antonio?

Went there almost every day for lunch while in school at Lackland. They always heaped up the servings on us in uniform. I'm not a BBQ connoisseur, but I liked it. Certainly better than the vineager heavy bbq on pork you find in the east IMO.

Yes.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Eliminating price as a consideration, how would you say Bill Miller’s stacks up against Rudy’s?

(For those out of the loop, Bill Miller’s is a very successful and inexpensive barbecue chain down here.)
I have never been to a Bill Miller so no idea. My favorite, now gone, was in the Shell station on the corner opposite the creek in Boerne. I can't recall the name though. Klein's in town is pretty good.

http://kleinsmokehaus.com/
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Anyone going through San Angelo should get some from RJ Barbeque on hwy 87 just north of the overpass.
1405 on the west side.

Unreal good and only $15 a lb.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by EdM

You can order dry or moist. some people like it dry without the fat.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM

Eliminating price as a consideration, how would you say Bill Miller’s stacks up against Rudy’s?

(For those out of the loop, Bill Miller’s is a very successful and inexpensive barbecue chain down here.)

Millers is much better than Bill Millers.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by EdM

You can order dry or moist. some people like it dry without the fat.

Didn’t know that. My experience at the original Rudy’s was the same as Ed’s.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Is that the one right up I-10 NW of San Antonio? I liked it pretty good but could never get on board with half a loaf of Wonder Bread on the side.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM

Is that the one right up I-10 NW of San Antonio? I liked it pretty good but could never get on board with half a loaf of Wonder Bread on the side.

No, I think its on I-10.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/24/21
Near San Antonio.

Across from the In N Out.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rudy's BBQ - 07/25/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM

Is that the one right up I-10 NW of San Antonio? .

No, I think its on I-10.

LOL, someone was havin a time last night.....
© 24hourcampfire