Home
Posted By: gregintenn Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
Son’s 4 cylinder Tacoma started missing last night. My scanner showed a misfire on cylinder # 2 and a bad O2 sensor. To try and narrow down the problem, I swapped plugs and coils from cyls 1 and 2. I thought that if the injector was bad, I’d still get a misfire on number two. If it was the coil or plug, I’d get a misfire on #1, right?

Now it shows a misfire on both 1 and 2.

What are the odds the injector and coil on the same cylinder go tits up at the same time? Do you think I have a bigger problem?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
If that ain’t enough, I get in my truck to go to the parts house, and damned if it’s not missing. Looks like it has a bad injector as well! LOL
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
Do a compression test.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
Gawd...I chased a missfire for months.

Cracked plug.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
A Toyota??? Impossible. They all go for 350k miles, trouble free.

Any chance you got rodents chewing on your vehicles’ wiring??
Did you try new spark plugs? I'd think sparkplug before coil, and ejector last.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
I'd change plugs, plug wires, and dump two small bottles of Lucas Fuel System cleaner in the tank and fill it up with non-ethanol fuel if it's available.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Do a compression test.

That’s what I’m afraid of.
It’ll go to a mechanic if what I’ve ordered don’t fix it.
And also check rotor, could be burnt up. I would change plus and wires first thing. Use a good fuel injector cleaner every oil change to kep running good. Good luck
Posted By: slumlord Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21

SEAFOAM

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Question for mechanics - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
And also check rotor, could be burnt up. I would change plus and wires first thing. Use a good fuel injector cleaner every oil change to kep running good. Good luck

Which rotor should he check?
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by sidewinder72

Which rotor should he check?

Brake rotors are in good shape.
Originally Posted by slumlord

SEAFOAM

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I drink a bottle of that chit every week. Should live forever.
How many miles on engine? Takes really low compression for misfire. I wouldn't think compression... possible coilpacks are bad, they usually die close together like headlights...
buy some new plugs. try them.
might as well pick up wires to to save a second trip... you can laws s return them if you don't use them.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
. Not sure about Toyotas if each cylinder has a coilpack remotely for each cylinder and a wire running to each.

Plugs are give me, replace them. I dropped number #3 coil on my f150. Within a week I dropped 2 more.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
OBDII

Any codes?
Posted By: rainshot Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
Shoot it .
Check compression first to rule out a mechanical problem. It might have a bad coil that burned out the driver in the ECM, I’ve had it happen. To check to see if the driver is working, unplug the coil and check for flashing 12v across the terminals of the coil.
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21

First what year is the 4 cylinder Tacoma? I,m assuming it is 96 or newer. Anyway. Besides putting it on a Scan tool and checking for codes

Did you replace the O2 sensor. Next you can check the compression. Toyotas get tight exhaust valves. caused by valve recession, that means the exhaust valve has pounded into the head

Causing a miss fire and High HC. First you try to adjust the valves then if it still misses you have to grind the valves and put in new valve seats.

I would take the truck to someone who has a smog machine and see how high the HC,s are. You also want to test to see if the truck is running to lean. Like a plugged

fuel filter. I usually drilled a small test whole ahead of the Cat to see what the actual Air Fuel ratio is before the Cat. How many miles on truck. You could also have

partially plugged furl injectors. You should be able to tell by switching them around.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
... possible coilpacks are bad, they usually die close together like headlights...

I was thinking the same thing. It seems that when 1 goes bad, others will fail soon.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
Lots of lousy info here. The stick coil snaps directly to the plug. No rotors, no plug wires, no lots of stuff mentioned. Pull the wires off the two cylinders and pull the stick coils and the plugs. Replace the plugs. If you still have a misfire replace the stick coil on the misfiring cylinder. Four new stick coils and plugs will run you close to 200 bucks, but is an easy quick job. Stick coils individually are about 50. You will also likely gain 2 mpg maybe more, at least for a long while.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
Watch some Youtube

Dammit I hate when people won't take sheit to people that do it for a living and know how to fix your problem.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
If it's got some miles on it, I'd just put in new plugs and coil packs.

I just put new plugs in my truck. Stupid v10. Schit adds up with 10 of 'em!
Read on the web's to test the coils for resistance. One measured out of spec, and sure enough, it doesn't run different plugged in or not. Wasn't in a hurry to replace all 10 at $30-40 each.
Used Toyota? Sell that thing it’s worth a fortune
Posted By: GeoW Re: Question for mechanics - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
Watch some Youtube

Dammit I hate when people won't take sheit to people that do it for a living and know how to fix your problem.

So difficult to find an honest mechanic in this day of computerized voodoo..
© 24hourcampfire