Home
Posted By: DMc Swiss Army - 07/22/21
I've carried a Victorinox Executive for over 50 years. Holds an edge and the fingernail file is 2nd to none. I even shipped one to my sister in Colorado Springs because the airlines won't let me carry mine. I use the 91mm (custom size) toothpick after every meal. The orange peeler is also awesome!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anyone else carry a Swiss Army knife?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
I carry a Solo Alox every now and then.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Had a Colonial version of the Swiss Army knife since I got it new in 1974 or so at the grand opening of a Woolco for $1. My Dad didn't like me bugging him to get it and said he was gonna whip my ass when we got home, but I don't remember him doing so and I've still got the knife. I've had both Victorinox and Wenger brands and they were great. Carried some for daily carry.
Posted By: WMR Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Finally, someone who uses the toothpick! I thought that was a totally useless item. Now, the little tweezers, they are really something. The best tool ever for pulling out small slivers ( aside from a needle, of course). I've considered pitching the toothpick and substituting a second pair of tweezers. Some company also makes a little firesteel that fits the slot as well. That might be even better.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
99% of the time I'm carrying a Swiss Army knife...Wenger or Victorinox.

Alox Pioneer is my favorite...got a half dozen or so various colors to choose from.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Yes....

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Alox Pioneer is my favorite...got a half dozen or so various colors to choose from.

Yeah but can it get you on the OAN web site?
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by WMR
Finally, someone who uses the toothpick! I thought that was a totally useless item. Now, the little tweezers, they are really something. The best tool ever for pulling out small slivers ( aside from a needle, of course). I've considered pitching the toothpick and substituting a second pair of tweezers. Some company also makes a little firesteel that fits the slot as well. That might be even better.

No kidding.
Would it be a magnesium chip?
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
I'm impressed with the quality of stainless in their blades.
I don't remember model names, but have three.
One is the newest, around twenty years old and the smallest model. It can be carried past security in the court house with the one inch blade. It's handy but stays either on a key chain or zippered bag so it doesn't get lost.

Then there's the antique medium sized one.

The old vintage one is ancient and has some value when I checked years ago. It's huge, so it stays in the drawer to be used once in a while. Good quality and perfect condition. I think it was their largest model at that time.

The only bigger one was a cheap knock off I used camping as a kid. It had a fork, knife, spoon, ten other uses and a kitchen sink.
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
I have carried this one off and on for almost 30 years. It's Tiffany and company Swiss Army in sterling silver and gold. It holds a lot of sentimental value.

Posted By: DMc Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
They're not expensive knives but a bargain IMO. That green one pictured in the original post has become a collector model and brings a premium, if you consider $50 a premium.
Posted By: DMc Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
One is the newest, around twenty years old and the smallest model. It can be carried past security in the court house with the one inch blade. It's handy but stays either on a key chain or zippered bag so it doesn't get lost.

The old vintage one is ancient and has some value when I checked years ago. It's huge, so it stays in the drawer to be used once in a while. Good quality and perfect condition. I think it was their largest model at that time.

The only bigger one was a cheap knock off I used camping as a kid. It had a fork, knife, spoon, ten other uses and a kitchen sink.

LOL I remember the fork and spoon model. ...or was that a boy scout knife?
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

That was just hurtful Jake!!

I’ve e-mailed our computer geek idiots to see if they can fix it. Updated ESET Tuesday and they fouled something up
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

That was just hurtful Jake!!

I’ve e-mailed our computer geek idiots to see if they can fix it. Updated ESET Tuesday and they fouled something up

laugh
Works perfectly at home!!

Here are a few of them.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Yes....

Interesting keys - European by chance?
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Swiss Army - 07/22/21
I have several, and usually one in my pocket - in fact there's one there now. I've always had at least one, ever since I was given one as a boy as a sort of rite of passage.

The oldest one I have is an old Elinox Pioneer Rancher, with checkered aluminium scales like the current Victorinox Alox models, but anodised red. It belonged to my grandfather, and is probably about 60 years old. I also have a Victorinox Fieldmaster which was my father's.

When I go hunting I'll usually carry a Victorinox Hunter, which is a large-frame model with a locking main blade, a very effective bone saw and gutting blade, and a few other tools. I also like the Victorinox Hiker, which is a medium-frame with a useful set of tools without being too bulky. I have a few others too - and I use the toothpicks!
Posted By: kandpand Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I have carried a Victorinox Pioneer for years and I carry a Victorinox Hunter in my pack when deer hunting.
Posted By: MAC Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I have one in every vehicle I own, one in my desk, one in my tackle box, one in every tool box I own and one in my pocket every day. I consider them to be an article of clothing and always make sure I have one handy.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Carried, used, bought, sold, traded most of the big brands from 50-100 years ago. My grandfather got me started.

Got a Victorinox Tinker & never looked back. They quit making the original size for a while & I nearly panicked. When they came back & rounded up a half dozen for backup. I wear one down every 20 years, think I'm good now..

One of my top picks for dependable, quality man gear.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I have a Wenger that I bought in 1975. Carried it on a lot of backpacking trips back then. Spends most of it's time in my fishing tackle bag these days.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Do any of you deliberately buy a model with the corkscrew? A useless tool for me I think.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I have two, one Wenger Soldier and one Victorinox Soldier.

When I wander about a paddock I drop one in my pocket.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morewood Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Yes....

Good eye, TC.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I carried this Victorinox license copy of a Mauser German military pocket knife in my flight suit knife pocket for the last 16 years of my 21 year flying career. It opened a "few" beer and wine bottles in it's day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
I’ve carried a Tinker for 25 years. I’m on my second one.
Back when I was roofing the tweezers were handy for pulling little slivers of fiberglass out of my fingers.
I’ve painted for about the last fifteen years and the screwdrivers are handy for opening paint cans and removing receptacle and light switch covers.
It’s not hard to put an edge on either.
I have prettier knives and more expensive knives but I don’t have any that are any handier than the Swiss.
Posted By: DMc Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Anyone remember this one:

Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

LOL I remember the fork and spoon model. ...or was that a boy scout knife?

It was marketed to scouts, but the quality wasn't close to Wenger or Victorinox. It did the jobs and held up surprisingly well for the five plus years to be handed onto my brother. It was the opposite extreme of the UL titanium backpacking supplies today. Back then we'd brag on who had the heaviest backpack.

This evening I had a chance to use my tiny one to remove the stem on a couple of awesome pineapples that just happened to show up one more time. These are a variety that are picked fresh. I'll need to use a bigger one to have a piece for lunch.
That thin blade is the easiest stainless to sharpen and hold an edge. Admittedly the toughest use is for opening plastic clam shell cases. But I never saw one break or wear out as a daily user. The one thing is the scale fell off one. A dab of glue was a permanent fix. The original multitool.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Never had one.
No Leatherman either

Dont doubt the handiness of either.

Carried a Buck folder for 20 yrs, then a Benchmade Folder for about 15. CRKT folder after the benchmade broke.
Lost the CRKT after much use.

Now have some Sig fixed blade as my EDC
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21

Old sig fan here, but never knew about their knives.
Just checked out the cool Elishewitze designs..
Even autos.
Is yours the live free model?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
My EDC knife has been a SAK Huntsman for many years. Handy tool.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Their boning knives are awesome.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Huntsman for years & years
Posted By: Slavek Re: Swiss Army - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Yes....

Yes.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Swiss Army - 08/03/21
My Swiss knife

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
pic share
Posted By: SS336 Re: Swiss Army - 08/03/21
Ok, that’s not fair! A real Swiss Army Knife? I call FOUL. 😁
Posted By: hookeye Re: Swiss Army - 08/03/21
I cant afford a STG 57 LOL ( dunno what this goes to exactly).

Might shoot one this month.

Bayonet is laying on shelf next to Belgian tube style.
Not a collector but get stuff once in a while
Thought the Swiss was cool.

Posted By: SS336 Re: Swiss Army - 08/03/21
My old SAK opening a bottle on my 50th anniversary cruise with my wife in 2018. It has been with me on a lot of miles in my tank bag and back pack. Great all around knife if your not carrying a Leatherman of similar. I couldn’t tell you the model, but it even has a magnifying glass.

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Swiss Army - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
My Swiss knife

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
pic share

I’ve got one of those around here somewhere.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Swiss Army - 08/04/21
I've carried a Victorinox officer's model for 20+ years now. Very handy tool. I sometimes wish I could trade the corkscrew for a phillips screwdriver, though. Also, I wish the scales were all stainless steel like the old Camilus U.S. Army pocket knives. In my opinion, for what it's worth, the "perfect" pocket knife would be a combination of the Swiss officer's model and the Camilus U.S. Army. Keep the main cutting blade of either style, can opener & small flat screwdriver of the Swiss, scissors of the Swiss, add a phillips screwdriver, keep the tweezers & tooth pick of the Swiss, use all stainless steel (including handles) like the U.S. Army, keep the good U.S. Army bail, keep the large flat screwdriver/bottle opener of the U.S., eliminate the "hook" blade of the Swiss - I have never used mine in over 20 years and don't know what it is for, and maybe eliminate the corkscrew if needed to make it all work, and finally keep the awl from the U.S. Army model. That, to me would make the ideal pocket knife.
© 24hourcampfire