Home
Posted By: DigitalDan OMG!!! - 07/24/21
My coffee pot died this morning. Before it made any coffee!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Always keep an old Melitta drip cone on hand for disasters like that.

Boomer-Prepper
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
What was the backup plan?

Always have a backup plan! grin
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Might as well go back to bed and start over
Posted By: krp Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Always keep an old Melitta drip cone on hand for disasters like that.

Boomer-Prepper

That's what I use in camp for just myself, even for backpacking it's so lite and makes regular coffee easy. I have 3 of them.

Kent
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I can just get the percolator out of the camp trailer. No moving parts, no electricity needed. Just add heat.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I survived due to a spare used for travel. But it only makes 1.5 cups at a time. Tedium....
Posted By: 700LH Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Cowboy coffee
Posted By: Dess Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Prayers sent
Posted By: BC30cal Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
DigitalDan;
I'm sorry to read of this portent of evil as a beginning to your day sir.

Since you're not stuck in a wilderness area, I can only imagine that you're able to take a drive and rectify the situation forthwith?

We had something similar happen with our coffee grinder not even a month ago, whereupon we did just that - drove to town and spent coin of the realm on a replacement.

Who would have predicted that we were suffering from subpar performance from our former grinder all those years sir? The replacement is in another stratosphere when it comes to both how it grinds and how quiet it is.

That's my wish for you sir, that your new replacement will be a better model that will enrich your life. grin

Then too, I recall that when we were on a horse pack trip way into the Wilmore Wilderness, the camp cook made up a couple gallons in a metal pail every morning and so help me it stayed not too bad even up to noon. I mean one had to throw out the bottom of the cup for the grounds, but it wasn't bad Dan. Who would have thought?

Good hunting for a new coffee machine regardless and all the best in all else.

Dwayne
Posted By: gunzo Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Use basket out of coffee maker, take out the spring loaded anti drip valve, load w/filter & coffee as usual while a pan of water is heating on the stove.

Pour the............... you get the picture. You're a bushcrafter, woodsman, bet you have multiple ways to come up with a good cup of coffee. wink
Posted By: acy Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Pretty sure the CDC will put it down as another unvaccinated covid death. 🙂
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Dess
Prayers sent

I just spit fresh roasted coffee out my nose. Sorry DD.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Oil it till a bullet floats.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Boil
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
If the grinder goes, I have a mortar and pestle.

No cowboys here…
Posted By: las Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by 700LH
Cowboy coffee

I've done it in just a common kitchen pan, and in metal food cans. Back in the day, I'd take a couple cans of dog food along with the dry to keep the dog's weight up when we were doing 1-2 week heavy back-packing stuff, and use the cans to make coffee in - usually, not always, instant coffee. - to save weight and volume.

Heck, one could likely do it out camping in just a piece of birch-bark, as long as the flames stay below water level. Might get a bit of a different taste tho. smile

As is said, "necessity is a mother" - or something like that.

We love our 20-year old Cuisinart with the carafe - and have one without the carafe from our more recent Kotzebue years for backup .
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I keep several packs of micro-ground coffee in my shaving kit just for such unfortunate events.

Several companies make them. I've found starbucks (i know, i know...) to be my favorite. They don't take up any space and are far superior to hotel room coffee.
Posted By: viking Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
French press
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
The movie cowboys aren't spitting chewing tobacco. They're spitting coffee grounds.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Have a virtual cup of coffee!

https://thumbs.[bleep].com/b/young-girl-preparing-coffee-cafe-barista-beautiful-88290660.jpg

Attached picture young-girl-preparing-coffee-cafe-barista-beautiful-88290660.jpg
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I keep a percolator in storage for such happenings
Posted By: ingwe Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21

How is it that you were able to post?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Folgers instant,. 2 teaspoons to a cup, add hot water, and stir.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
The. horror! No hot coffee! I feel for you Bro!😂
Posted By: LouisB Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Sounds like a coffee Snob, but consider a French Press.

All you need is any source of boiling hot water.

If it makes ya fee better you can get a stainless steel one at wally world . . .

In fact I suggest you do.
Makes 4 cups of coffee.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Knowing DD it probably involves a Mini Gun and crappy neighbors. grin
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21

Dan,

Louis beat me to it.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
I have a percolator, coffee pot in the basement cabinet that need given away. I still suggest the french press and whole coffee bean grinder for the best brew. 4 minutes and you have a fresh pot in a big glass beaker. It tastes noticably better than other methods IMHO. The only downside is that you can't drop it in the sink or floor. I preheat the beaker after wrapping it with a towel to keep the hot coffee hot about 45 minutes to an hour.
Here's the brand I have. They're all going to be about the same.

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/coffee/coffee-makers
Originally Posted by ingwe

How is it that you were able to post?

Last thing I did before I lost my mind, honest.
Posted By: Nollij Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Folgers instant,. 2 teaspoons to a cup, add hot water, and stir.

Yup. Folgers singles always on hand in case of emergency. No coffee, no humanity.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I have complete back-up down to a manual grinder and little camping stove to heat the water if necessary.
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
I'd cut a n i gga if I had no morning coffee.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: OMG!!! - 07/24/21
Always have backup ......

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Many years back a friend had a hunting cabin in the ‘Glades that got a lot of use. No electric, but had a gas stove. Coffee came from a mix of hand pump well and an aluminum pot and a teaspoon of coffee for each cup. Brought it to a boil, let it settle down and viola! Best coffee I ever tasted. Last cup had all the grounds.

I don’t have an old gutless coffee pot. Dang it!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Wild Thing!

[Linked Image from seaforces.org]

Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
Originally Posted by viking
French press

just might french tickle you some real wake me up juice...
do it right and one cuppa keep you goin' all day.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
Many years back a friend had a hunting cabin in the ‘Glades that got a lot of use. No electric, but had a gas stove. Coffee came from a mix of hand pump well and an aluminum pot and a teaspoon of coffee for each cup. Brought it to a boil, let it settle down and viola! Best coffee I ever tasted. Last cup had all the grounds.

Yep, making good coffee ain't rocket science. Just boil a ratio of 1/4 cup coffee grounds to 1 quart water. Boil it for 2 - 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add a little additional cold water slowly to it to settle out the grounds and pour you a cup. When I am out and about over a campfire or at home without electricity, I don't even use the perculator "guts". Just boil it. No need for fancy gizmos and no better coffee to be had.
Posted By: Gibby Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21

It's a conspiracy. Mine went out the same time yours did.

Had a jar of instant way back in the fridge. After two cups I found my keys. Still couldn't drive yet.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
I hope you guys are having a better "coffee" morning today! grin

Originally Posted by Gibby

It's a conspiracy. Mine went out the same time yours did.

Had a jar of instant way back in the fridge. After two cups I found my keys. Still couldn't drive yet.
Posted By: milespatton Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21

A few years back Curdog, and I were at the Quemado gathering, and got there early by a couple of days. He fixed the best "boiled" coffee that I ever had. He did not acutally boil it. He would get the water boiling, move the pot off of the fire and put in some coffee. He just poured some in his hand and then put it in the pot. I measure. Put the pot back on the fire until it just started to make bubbles, then remove. did this until it was the color that you want, pour a little cold water in to settle the grounds. Still get a few grounds, but a small strainer would fix that. Mother used to have one that She strained tea with, when making loose leaf tea. miles
Posted By: Muffin Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
I think you can make coffee with a Lyman Model 61 Mould Master................

smile
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
Always have an aeropress I can use as backup.

It makes a really good cup.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
I think I got about five different gizmos to make coffee. Two which don't require electricity.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: OMG!!! - 07/25/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Wild Thing!

[Linked Image from seaforces.org]

I knew it!
© 24hourcampfire