Home

This past January I sent a pre war super grade Winchester model 70 in 375 to J. Sip & Sons in Toquerville UT for work.

Communication was not great, but finally I was able to get through on may 7th where they informed me my rifle was complete. I then sent PayPal payment immediately and was told my rifle would ship the next week.

I have since heard nothing from this company, my rifle never shipped. The voice mail box is full, emails and texts go unanswered. I found online where this operation is currently in the middle of multiple lawsuits. A friend of mine was able to get through a few weeks ago where they told him ATF had suspended their FFL. I called the ATF branch in Salt Lake City where I was informed their license was being reapplied for but that they could still send me back my property.

I’ve run out of options and don’t know what to do, I have left messages with a local detective at the sheriffs office. My attorney is sending a certified letter this week.

If anyone has anyway of contacting J. Sip & Sons it would be greatly appreciated. I just want my gun back, no matter what state it may be in. Is that really too much to ask? I spent a whole year having this rifle imported from germany(it had belonged to a ph in Tanzania).

This is the rifle I had planned on bringing back to Africa next year.

Thank You

Your best bet maybe to go in person to retrieve your rifle
Posted By: DMc Re: Will I ever get my rifle back? - 07/26/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Betting the "establishment" is shuttered.Now if we have a member in Utah?
This /\.

After having dealt with more than one flaky gunsmith, I started being VERY careful about documentation, setting expectations up front, and checking in regularly. They probably don't like answering the phone or emails, but their colleagues have placed them in the soup- not you.
Posted By: g5m Re: Will I ever get my rifle back? - 07/26/21
Their website says this:

"Temporarily Closed
Due to a lapse in ATF licensing, we are currently closed. At this time we are unable to respond to any e-mails or phone calls. We hope to be back up and running by the end of August. We thank you for your patience."

I've had that happen before and it has always been just a matter of time for the bureaucracy to handle it. So far, at least.
Good Luck!
Contact the local Sheriffs Office. I had a similar situation as a teen in Texas. Gunsmith bailed with everyone's guns. I contacted our local Sheriff, others contacted theirs, search was on via Texas Rangers. A few months later he and the guns were found. It might be an option...or even contact the Secret Service in SLC. They work frauds and such too. Good luck to you Pard.
I hope you get it back, the MF’s could at least let you know what their intentions are.
Their web site says they are "temporarily closed" [and thus] "unable to respond to emails". The latter statement is a lie: just cause your FFL lapsed doesn't mean you can't answer emails or the phone. I would try to get someone in Utah to go see them on your behalf, with the local sheriff in tow.
Posted By: DMc Re: Will I ever get my rifle back? - 07/26/21
Dude has already shown what type of person he is. Wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. Surely there's a campfire member you could send an affidavit to?
Posted By: g5m Re: Will I ever get my rifle back? - 07/26/21
Maybe they're on vacation in Venezuela while they wait for their renewal to be processed.
I have had good luck with members on this site that live in the area of the seller/ buyer/ etc. going to take look at things for me.
My sympathies for you in this situation.

It's a Sad State of Affairs for sure. Disappointing & Agarvating to say the least.

Good Luck Bud.
I pm'd you some local contact information for him.
Somewhere at that establishment is a 400 lb lard ass that needs to be punched in the face.

Good ole gunsmiths, fingers too greasy with to answer the phone.
If the rifle is that important, I'd make a road trip and not leave without it.
agreed, I'd be making a road trip to Utah

Originally Posted by KFWA
agreed, I'd be making a road trip to Utah

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Contact info for the Washington County Sheriff....

https://news.washeriff.net/aboutus/contact-information/
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Contact info for the Washington County Sheriff....

https://news.washeriff.net/aboutus/contact-information/

Also the postal police since this can fall under mail fraud because business was conducted through the mail
Initiate a dispute with PayPal as it was for repairs only....at least you'll get your $$$ back if not the rifle...
Originally Posted by Raspy
Initiate a dispute with PayPal as it was for repairs only....at least you'll get your $$$ back if not the rifle...

Not a bad idea. You paid for goods that you did not receive.
I feel for you, this is a bad situation.
The only thing I can suggest is perhaps have your attorney send letters to the gunsmith, the sheriffs office, the county attorney and city attorney, if the city has one. Often a letter from an attorney will carry a little more weight and possibly get things moving. The town is small enough that the gunsmith is probably known to the sheriff and county or city attorney and they may be able to move things along for you by a visit and a few words from them.

drover

p.s. - that is the voice of experience from when I had a similar situation.
I just called their number

4 rings and rolls to a robot message that says sorry you cannot leave a message at this number.

Yup

Time for a 12 pack and an ass whoopin

People like this give all gunwizards a bad name.

If it really matters to you, GO get the rifle !!!
You shoulda sent it to blackheart. I hear his work is damn good.
If you post the address here somebody could probably roll by and see if it's shut down or not.

That's the first step I'd take.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You bet! Road trip......
There was another thread on here a few months ago about these cats. It wasn’t good. I tried to search but couldn’t find it.
Quit talking and go get it.
I hope you have documented meticulously.
Isn’t mitt Romney from Utah, maybe contact his office.
Sip has screwed many Blaser owners. Including myself

Many bad posts on Blaserbuds and Blaser pro

The guy who runs blaserbuds is a control freak that won’t allow people to speak the truth, so he closed all the threads pertaining to sip

Bad news

Many lawsuits

Good luck
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Sip has screwed many Blaser owners. Including myself

Many bad posts on Blaserbuds and Blaser pro

The guy who runs blaserbuds is a control freak that won’t allow people to speak the truth, so he closed all the threads pertaining to sip

Bad news

Many lawsuits

Good luck

I'd definitely have my ass on the road to recover any firearm in their possession.
Originally Posted by drover
I feel for you, this is a bad situation.
The only thing I can suggest is perhaps have your attorney send letters to the gunsmith, the sheriffs office, the county attorney and city attorney, if the city has one. Often a letter from an attorney will carry a little more weight and possibly get things moving. The town is small enough that the gunsmith is probably known to the sheriff and county or city attorney and they may be able to move things along for you by a visit and a few words from them.

drover

p.s. - that is the voice of experience from when I had a similar situation.

I also should have mentioned to be sure to have the attorney send a copy of the letter to the gunsmith also, it may help persuade him to pay attention since he will know that you are serious about siccing the law on him.
Originally Posted by Partsman
Isn’t mitt Romney from Utah, maybe contact his office.

laugh crazy
Road trip,baseball bat and a 1911 is what I,m thinking.
Well you've posted the same question on 3 sub forums are you waiting on someone to offer to go get it for you or just being dramatic?
I had a friens who had Sipp build a take-down rifle that Sipp showed at the Dallas safari Club show. It took him 3-4 years after that to get it back, He involved a lawyer, local law enforcement, the BBB, etc. If they're out of business, I hope they burned down.
Diablo Custom Rifles stole a rifle from me in the same manner. 100 percent sure he used that buttery slick old 700 action to build a rifle for someone else.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Contact the local Sheriffs Office. I had a similar situation as a teen in Texas. Gunsmith bailed with everyone's guns. I contacted our local Sheriff, others contacted theirs, search was on via Texas Rangers. A few months later he and the guns were found. It might be an option...or even contact the Secret Service in SLC. They work frauds and such too. Good luck to you Pard.

A buddy of mine had a similar experience in Texas. Called the local Sheriff, and a visit to the establishment from said Sheriff his gun was promptly mailed to his local dealer.
Get local law enforcement involved.
Use all legal means you can.

Research better next time.
Lotta schytbyrds out their....

Good luck getting your rifle back....

What type of work were you having done to it in the 1st place if no one has already asked.

Hope it wasn't something you mighta been able to do.
That would suck going thru a fiasco like this if it was something one could do just as well as one of these schiester gunsmiths that exist.
© 24hourcampfire