Home
Posted By: Tarkio Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Looking to the campfire collective for some guidance.

I need some low voltage toggle switch to run an water pump on a service truck. Probably need to be higher amp. Will need to check the motor but thinking at least 20 amps.

The issue I am having is that the framework where the hole is drilled for the switch to mount is thick. And the standard toggle switches you can buy at an auto parts store do not have a long enough "neck" or shank to properly mount.

So I am sure there are some great resources out there. Just not sure where.

Anyone have some ideas?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
I typed "long shank toggle switch" and got this LIST

BTW, this used the brand new Brave search engine with the Brave browser. I recommend the combo highly.
Posted By: Steve Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Go here. Filter for type (SPDT, DPDT, etc), voltage, current, size...

Digi-Key Toggleswitch search.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Also do not use the switch, use a relay to power the pump, turn the relay on and off with the switch.
Posted By: Steve Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Also do not use the switch, use a relay to power the pump, turn the relay on and off with the switch.

You can find those at Digi-Key, too.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Radio Shack? Your local car parts store? if you're in a hurry & dont want to mail order. Not a toggle, but old time hi-beam switches (floor mount) should carry 20 amps without a problem.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21

You saved me some typing.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21

I concur.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Radio Shack? Your local car parts store? if you're in a hurry & dont want to mail order. Not a toggle, but old time hi-beam switches (floor mount) should carry 20 amps without a problem.

I have not stepped foot in a Radio Shack in 30 years.

I thought they went out of business.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I concur.

This came wired from the factory. I am simply replacing the switches as they go bad.

I assume they have it wired properly.

I googled long shank switches also, and a lot look pretty chintzy. Hoping someone knew or ad some personal knowledge of higher quality durable switches.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

..........They closed all the local stores but are still very much in the online business. I got several things from them last couple years and with no problems or hassles.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I concur.

This came wired from the factory. I am simply replacing the switches as they go bad.

I assume they have it wired properly.

I googled long shank switches also, and a lot look pretty chintzy. Hoping someone knew or ad some personal knowledge of higher quality durable switches.

The answer given above is the best as it removes the high quality, durability issue of the switch. Relays are much more durable.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Steve

You can find those at Digi-Key, too.

Digi-Key or Allied Electronics

Allied Electronics LINK

Digi-Key LINK

I've done a lot of business with both companies in the past. Their telephone sales folks are a huge help in shopping!

Ed
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21

The recommendations above are good.

Also check Mouser
https://www.mouser.com/

and Newark
http://www.newark.com/
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

There are a few left. There's one about 15 minutes from here.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Toggle Switch Sources - 07/28/21
what about making a U bracket out of thinner material that screws to the bulkhead?
© 24hourcampfire