Home
I’ll start
Coyotes and fox
Killed a ton but never ate a one.
Everything else (to memory ) I tried
Armadillos, crackles, blackbirds, cottonmouths...
Coonass
Chicken coop raiding attempt (badger)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Killed in the coop, now partially eaten by vultures (fox)

Eating the chickens' food

Not in the chicken yard area (Breeze would eat that gopher though:

Originally Posted by steve4102
Coonass

Cocktail out the nose

Thanks
Snakes! I don’t eat no fuggin Snakes!

And Prairie Dogs, Coons, Coyotes, Skunks, And Possum. 😬
Rats & Mice & Bad Bugs for the Garden
I am not that hungry yet.
Thousands of Belding's Ground Squirrels.
But the ravens, crows, eagles, hawks, vultures, gulls, cranes, and occasional weasel sure appreciate them.
Wolves—lots and lots of wolves.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Snakes! I don’t eat no fuggin Snakes!

Those aren't included in my pics because....................................

I eat 'em!
Water moccasins, crows, and jack rabbits

Armadillo, snakes, coyotes, prairie dogs, fox, skunk, and coon. Though, when I was a kid we had several meals from coons.....I wasn’t impressed! 😉 memtb
Crows. F'ing hate 'em. I pick them off in the desert if I see them pestering the tortises. Crows-.22-250=Red Mist Society. Bye! And hell no I wouldn't eat 'em.
Rats, mice, gophers, squirrels, rock chucks, raccoons, feral cats, feral dogs, foxes, coyotes, used up horses, cancer eyed cows, starlings, pigeons, crows, magpies, squawfish, suckers, carp, chiselmouth
Anything in the rodent family, they carry Hanta Virus, Bubonic Plague and probably several other diseases. The Germans in Herman, MO make summer sausage out of coon, tried that and it was pretty good.
Originally Posted by JeffP
I’ll start
Coyotes and fox
Killed a ton but never ate a one.
Everything else (to memory ) I tried

You've never killed a mouse or rat? Or did you eat them?
Back when I was a youth I ran a trapline and took coyotes, fox, bobcat, coons and muskrats. Just kept the pelt, never the meat. The only animal I have shot while hunting that wasn't eaten was a Vaal Rhebok in South Africa. This is a small species of antelope only found in a small region of RSA and they are filled with parasites. I did not know that until I took one and the PH said it was the only antelope they would not eat. He sliced open a hindquarter after it was skinned for a lifesize mount and the meat was full of worms. He said it didn't bother them but that nothing except buzzards will eat one. Had I known that I would not have taken the animal.
I've not eaten mice, rats, mink, fox, coyote, chipmunk, snakes, feral cats, jackal, or baboon. Probably more, but that's what I come up with now.
Water Buffalo, monkeys, snakes, sharks, 'cudas, dinks.
They're called varmints for good reason.
coyote
raccoon
opossum
mink
skunk
muskrat
beaver
porcupine
weasel
crow
chipmunk
starling
song birds
snake
bat
Originally Posted by funshooter
Rats & Mice & Bad Bugs for the Garden
I am not that hungry yet.

I have to add
Crow and Opossum to my list
Coyote, fox, prairie dogs, gophers, 13-lined ground squirrels, red/grey/fox squirrels, blackbirds, sparrows (bb-gun as a kid), pigeons, muskrat, beaver, raccoon, badger, skunk, porcupine, snakes, armadillo, wild/feral hog, jackrabbits, weasel, frogs, bugs, leeches, nightcrawlers, crow, off the top of my head.
Coyote, fox, possum, chipmunk, red squirrels, and starlings
Rat bastids. Oops, that was Jud's thread.
Aoudad, pigs!
Same as Hanco. Aoudad they are rank. Hogs- tired of trying to make them taste edible.
Otters
Flying squirrels
armadillos
skunks
Those skinny blue long necked creatures with long spindly legs and blue feathers that walk around my pond eating my fish!!!
Maybe a whole lot of Liberal "street rats" in the next few years.
Coyote
Red fox
Wolf
Wolverine
Bobcat
Lynx
Black bear (where legal)
Mountain lion (though I will take the backstraps)
Snakes of various species
Porcupines
Skunk
Raccoon
Most anything I can trap
Carp
Prairie dogs/ground squirrles/marmots of various species
Originally Posted by acy
I've not eaten mice, rats, mink, fox, coyote, chipmunk, snakes, feral cats, jackal, or baboon. Probably more, but that's what I come up with now.

I have never eaten any of those either though I have had no desire to kill at least one of those & may be interested to know why one may be motivated to kill one on this list. if replying please keep it in a PM.
Elephant, 5500 pound hippo, crocodile, lion. Many African herbivores are pretty good. Best I had was Cape buffalo backstraps.
Shiners, drum, carp

Toss em on the weeds
Pigs lately. I’ll probably keep and eater.

Skunks, crows, pigeon, snakes
Muskrats
Coons
Sparrows
Starlings
Mice., Rats & Voles
Coyotes
Groundhogs
Everything I kill gets eaten.

Maybe not by me... But it gets eaten. grin
Copperheads.
Skunks.
Coons
Crows
Coyotes
Carp
Gar
Flying squirrel
Red squirrel
Possums
Skunks
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Chicken killing bastids
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ducks
Feral cats. Killed a bunch of them where I used to live.
(Well, maybe those sporting collars weren't quite feral blush)

no buddy I know eats coyotes....

birds luv 'em

I have eaten coon, but never liked it, just too awful greasy for me. Killed a lot of predators, but never ate one. Never ate snake of any kind. I guess most of the stuff on the no eat list I haven't eaten. Used to eat muskrat when I trapped a lot and had a young family. Never ate insects of any kind (intentionally.)
When things need killing it dies, eating it has nothing to do with it.
bugs.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

birds luv 'em

I accidently killed a coyote pup once
No Gar or drum or carp. No stinking coyotes or fox or wolf or dogs. No prairie dogs or marmots. No wild hogs yet.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Thousands of Belding's Ground Squirrels.
But the ravens, crows, eagles, hawks, vultures, gulls, cranes, and occasional weasel sure appreciate them.

Yes, ground squirrels by the thousands.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
dinks.

Some of them little sorts must have looked good enough to eat
Starlings, crows, rats.
Talibs
Originally Posted by 700LH

birds luv 'em

I accidently killed a coyote pup once

Getting them b4 they can ever kill a deer , win win

These, though not exactly this one.

Me and Jim Stafford ---

I don't like spiders and snakes.
Baboons and Jackals. They make good Leopard bait though
Coon (would, havent)
Possum
Chipmunks
Crows
Snakes (have)
Song birds (pests)
Skunks
Groundhogs (have)
Pigeons (have)
Eels
Carp
Foxes
Mice, rats, voles, moles...
Bugs
Porcupine

If it was legal to kill certain predators, and I did, I wouldn't eat them.

Oh! Cats!
Rats, coons

sharks and Cuda are actually good.
Yotes, chucks, rats, cats, skunks, possums, mice, crows, pigeons and starlings.

Had a coworker, bordeine hippie ...shot crows and ate em.

Pest removal you just whack em and stack em.

Must admit, shooting a deer for my freezer gets tougher the older I get. Just like watching em.
Any kind of varmint, javelina, aoudad, snake, medium to big feral hogs.
Dragged this scrap out to work on the mower this morning.
The widow was hiding on the back side.
Hate them things.
Armadillos not to be confused with Amarillo Tx. . lol

Possum

Coyotes

Fox

Snakes EXCEPT Rattlesnakes

Mangy dumped dogs.

Crows

Groundhogs

I'll read further, maybe someone will remind me of others.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Everything I kill gets eaten.

Maybe not by me... But it gets eaten. grin

Absolutely !!
Didn't think of Skunks. sorry no pix

Add a pic of coyote. Happens to be the only pic around 1983-4

HAD another pic of coyote @ 2003, that phone is gone.

YEP shot him in the Face -- head on. SW 1500 270 W
Originally Posted by hookeye
Yotes, chucks, rats, cats, skunks, possums, mice, crows, pigeons and starlings.

Had a coworker, bordeine hippie ...shot crows and ate em.

Pest removal you just whack em and stack em.

Must admit, shooting a deer for my freezer gets tougher the older I get. Just like watching em.

My Great Granny told about a day back in the depression when Gramps went out with his 410 to try to get something to feed their hungry kids. All he was able to shoot was two crows. She cleaned them and cooked them and they ate them. When pressed she said, “they weren’t very good, their meat is purple”. Hungry hard times in Oklahoma back in those days.
Im a better shooter than hunter, but it still works out that I dont need to eat the funky stuff LOL
No to hogs, opossum, skunk, predators with fur or feathers, canines, felines, coons, armadillo, crows, rodents, bugs, alligators. Never shot a bear, but wouldn't eat that. Did I mention hogs? Now then if I was in a Donner or Alferd Packer camp condition I would eat it all. I do eat chicken which I guess could be a predator. Try to follow Moses' dietary rules fairly closely.
Interesting question. Having trapped for years! I don't eat muskrat, otter, wild beaver, coyote, bobcat, fisher, skunk, or any rodent type critter! I'm sure I missed something!
Chupacabra
Originally Posted by Japlvr
Chupacabra

How many have you killed? smirk
Originally Posted by Hastings
No to hogs, opossum, skunk, predators with fur or feathers, canines, felines, coons, armadillo, crows, rodents, bugs, alligators. Never shot a bear, but wouldn't eat that. Did I mention hogs? Now then if I was in a Donner or Alferd Packer camp condition I would eat it all. I do eat chicken which I guess could be a predator. Try to follow Moses' dietary rules fairly closely.

Fall blackie feeding on blueberries is fine eats.
Shot a coyote pup this morning, in the road down from the house. Bad sick, never looked around at me when I waled up behind him, even though his head was up. Azz was all raw, covered with flies. Put a 9mm behind his ear to end the suffering. Ain’t eatin’ that...
Hogs taste good also but they eat nasty stuff and bears will eat carrion and just about anything. Trichinosis is fairly common in bears and coons. I know you can kill trichinosis worms by cooking but I just avoid carrion eaters. Alligators and turtles are the worst in fresh water and we all know oysters filter fecal matter for food. If you want to bait crawfish use bad smelling dead fish or meat. Can you imagine the water conditions shellfish from China are raised in. Jewish dietary law actually has a lot of good health reasons behind their prohibitions. As did a good many of their other restrictions. Some I don't understand such as mixing 2 different fibers in cloth or 2 different seeds in a crop.
Put possums up in a rabbit hutch for a couple of weeks and feed them sweet corn, they are pretty good. Got to clean them out first.

Have eaten a ton of coon, put some water on 'em and then in the smoker they go.
Anyone said puzzy yet?
[quote=Hastings]No to hogs, opossum, skunk, predators with fur or feathers, canines, felines, coons, armadillo, crows, rodents, bugs, alligators. Never shot a bear, but wouldn't eat that. Did I mention hogs? Now then if I was in a Donner or Alferd Packer camp condition I would eat it all. I do eat chicken which I guess could be a predator. Try to follow Moses' dietary rules fairly closely.

———————————

We don’t have enuff fish for bears to gorge on
so that isn’t a problem here.

I haven’t killed a bear but have eaten bear twice.
We boiled it a while before frying 1 time. The other
time it was BBQ in oven after boiling.

I’ll eat our B bear anytime.
Originally Posted by jwall
Chupacabra

I ain't never killt one, but a mesican guy I work with says they taste awfull.
Chupacabra

I ain't never killt one, but a mesican guy I work with says they taste awfull.

Probably the same Mesican that told us it was Beef in our Tacos and was more than likely Dog or Burrow when we were down in Tijuana Meheco
Originally Posted by stxhunter

sharks and Cuda are actually good.

Plus 1

I’ve had shark steaks on the grill and they were damn good. Dink walleye aren’t bad either if you don’t mind the hassle of filleting them.
I have ate stuff I wouldn't kill does that count
Originally Posted by ribka

Nice yote
I’ve had slow cooked muskrat and it was pretty good. Roasted a raccoon over an open fire while winter backwoods camping it was greasy and not something that I’d want again. Pass the trail miss and Budlight.
Muskrat was known as marsh harei during World war two
Jack rabbits. Murdered thousands of them..
Hogs taste good also but they eat nasty stuff and bears will eat carrion and just about anything. Trichinosis is fairly common in bears and coons. I know you can kill trichinosis worms by cooking but I just avoid carrion eaters. Alligators and turtles are the worst in fresh water and we all know oysters filter fecal matter for food. If you want to bait crawfish use bad smelling dead fish or meat. Can you imagine the water conditions shellfish from China are raised in. Jewish dietary law actually has a lot of good health reasons behind their prohibitions. As did a good many of their other restrictions. Some I don't understand such as mixing 2 different fibers in cloth or 2 different seeds in a crop.

I don't think that's a health reason and possibly not of physical practicality. I believe that it's an OT. symbolic reminder.

Q: What do the shepherds raise the lambs for?
A: Sacrifices, food and clothing.

Q:. Who was the first shepherd?
What did his sacrifice represent?
What did his brother's represent?
Which one was accepted by God.?

Answer these questions and it may shed light on the O.T. command about mixing of the wool with plant fibers.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I never got to shoot jack rabbits but killed grounds squirrels by the thousands as a kid. I’ll take a pass on those.
Coyotes and crows.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yep. No telling how many I killed as a kid when I got my first .22
And once I started driving and got to shoot all our neighbors wheat fields too. Back then, they were all glad to have them shot out off their wheat crop.

Never ate one. Don’t shoot them anymore. Haven’t killed one in years.
Feral hogs.

Originally Posted by blanket
Muskrat was known as marsh harei during World war two

Any pics to share? Or are you just here talking out of your ass?

Slum, that’s a good looking dog...TN must have a CiCi’s food source for the vermin.

🦫
Them’s 3 different big dogs.

Wish I’d taken more pics of ditch vermin.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Feral hogs.

Serious question. Why not ?

I have a close friend who gets to kill F Hs occasionally. The young ones are DELICIOUS !
I've been on his lease a few times but the hogs were off the property. They come and go.
Feral hogs.

I have a close friend who gets to kill F Hs occasionally. The young ones are DELICIOUS !
I've been on his lease a few times but the hogs were off the property. They come and go.

I agree. I keep at least one in the freezer year round. Excellent table fare.
I’ve never ate coons.

Next to hunting camp lived an elderly colored man. Retired from the “Ermy”. He kinda watched over stuff when no one was around. He let us hunt a 40 acre thicker he had and we gave him several deer each season.

One morning i ran some coin traps. Caught prolly 6 or 8. Dispatched them.

Knocked on his door, Mr John. Want a couple fresh coons?

Sure. How many you got? 8.

He came out door, whooping and hollering. Doing the happy dance. Pulled out his ancient flip phone calling ppl. You’d think i given him a stack of t-bones. 😂😂
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I don't think that's a health reason and possibly not of physical practicality. I believe that it's an OT. symbolic reminder.

Q: What do the shepherds raise the lambs for?
A: Sacrifices, food and clothing.

Q:. Who was the first shepherd?
What did his sacrifice represent?
What did his brother's represent?
Which one was accepted by God.?

Answer these questions and it may shed light on the O.T. command about mixing of the wool with plant fibers.

Genesis 9:3

New King James Version
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs
We had a local market in town owned by an older couple. He was an old school butcher and kept beagles and coonhounds. Had a “special “ freezer full of coon meat and lots of colored folks who bought it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Feral hogs.

I have a close friend who gets to kill F Hs occasionally. The young ones are DELICIOUS ! I've been on his lease a few times but the hogs were off the property. They come and go.
Very nasty, can give you brucellosis, leptospirosis, trichinosis, etc. They are scavengers in the wild and eat dead very rotten animals, cattle manure, etc. Anything a buzzard will eat a hog will eat. You should wear gloves and eye protection if you clean one and cook until hot all the way through. I wear gloves and drag them to the back where an alligator finishes the job. I have 2 friends that caught brucellosis gutting wild hogs. It was a lengthy process for the doctor to figure out what was the problem.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve never ate coons.

Next to hunting camp lived an elderly colored man. Retired from the “Ermy”. He kinda watched over stuff when no one was around. He let us hunt a 40 acre thicker he had and we gave him several deer each season.

He came out door, whooping and hollering. Doing the happy dance. Pulled out his ancient flip phone calling ppl. You’d think i given him a stack of t-bones. 😂😂

When we were trapping and killing coons some were skinned and some were sold whole frozen depending on who was buying.

There were some blacks that loved them, told us they'd pay for them, we just gave them away.

Found out later they not only ate them but were selling the male coon dicks for good money, seems some of the blacks thought it was big medicine or some such chit. "brother spoon" said he was some kind of preacher but he scammed a lot of blacks with stuff like "court powder", tell them to sprinkle some on their head before they went into the court house and they'd be let off easy.

I half expected to see Mizz Rudolph and a 3 legged monkey around there anytime.
Skunk
Can’t believe all the folks that won’t eat feral pigs, always figured they were lean but good
Feral hogs.

I have a close friend who gets to kill F Hs occasionally. The young ones are DELICIOUS ! I've been on his lease a few times but the hogs were off the property. They come and go.
Very nasty, can give you brucellosis, leptospirosis, trichinosis, etc. They are scavengers in the wild and eat dead very rotten animals, cattle manure, etc. Anything a buzzard will eat a hog will eat. You should wear gloves and eye protection if you clean one and cook until hot all the way through. I wear gloves and drag them to the back where an alligator finishes the job. I have 2 friends that caught brucellosis gutting wild hogs. It was a lengthy process for the doctor to figure out what was the problem.

We've killed, skinned, and eaten a slew of young hogs and they are excellent. Nobody has ever gotten sick, etc and wouldn't be a problem if you cook them right. Most all have bugs/fleas though, and I dont' like that.
Copy that, only wild pigs I’ve ate are Hawian pigs, little different diet over there, great table fare.
Originally Posted by Judman
Can’t believe all the folks that won’t eat feral pigs, always figured they were lean but good
They do taste good but are a known source of many zoonotic diseases. I used to eat pork but often ended up with a headache so I quit. Then wild hogs moved in on our pastures and I saw first hand how nasty they are. The zoonoses they can transfer to humans is probably the source of the dietary prohibitions on pork by Moslems and Jews. So I carefully with gloves tie onto a hog and take it to the gators.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

We've killed, skinned, and eaten a slew of young hogs and they are excellent. Nobody has ever gotten sick, etc and wouldn't be a problem if you cook them right. Most all have bugs/fleas though, and I dont' like that.

Yes JG, there are a lot of FOODS that can make you
sick IF NOT prepared properly.

There are instructions for nearly all foods, including
pork.

Feral hogs are the SAME as tame/farm/market
raised EXCEPT they escaped into nature -* where they came from*-
as some call it “the Wild”. LOL

I’m not a Jew or Muzzie. I’ve been eating Pork ALL my life.
Feral hogs are free roaming. YUM YUM

Guys, to you unbelievers, I recommend you read instructions for preparing Pork
AND handling (after they DED) feral hogs.
It’s easy and delicious.

SMH

Jerry
[quote=JeffP][Linked Image]

——————————

If you didn’t request that pose, I hope he didn’t charge you for it.

OTOH I might choose it for laughs.
NO offense intended.
lmao
Right on Jwall!
Taxidermy work isn’t mine. It was on this forum some years back. I think on the lipstick bear thread?.... I posted it for Hahas

The dead yotes are mine though

——————————

NO offense intended.

LOL ! WTF !
crack whores count?
[quote=JeffP]Taxidermy work isn’t mine. It was on this forum some years back. I think on the lipstick bear thread?.... I posted it for Hahas

The dead yotes are mine though

You got em. Ha Ha Ha Ha

Thnx
Some NVA and VC, a couple of bikers in San Pedro, I have no problem w/ cannibals but don't know how to cook people. I guess if you follow the guidelines for pork you should be OK.

mike r

Mackay;
Happy Father's Day to you my friend, I hope you're having a good one and getting the weather you need.

If you don't mind sir, are those Cottontails? The reason I ask is we've got Nuttall's Cottontails up here, but we're just about as far north as they go, so they're blue listed/endangered here and we can't shoot them.

We've been known to bring home Snowshoe Hares as they're a favorite of my son-in-law, who happens to be a fantastic cook and makes a rabbit stew second to none. He does use a fair bit of bacon in it, so there is that - but still Mackay, it's really good!

Lastly if you're so inclined I'd love to hear the story on the old Flat Top 3 screw.

All the best.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve never ate coons.

When we were trapping and killing coons some were skinned and some were sold whole frozen depending on who was buying.

There were some blacks that loved them, told us they'd pay for them, we just gave them away.

Found out later they not only ate them but were selling the male coon dicks for good money, seems some of the blacks thought it was big medicine or some such chit. "brother spoon" said he was some kind of preacher but he scammed a lot of blacks with stuff like "court powder", tell them to sprinkle some on their head before they went into the court house and they'd be let off easy.

I half expected to see Mizz Rudolph and a 3 legged monkey around there anytime.

.com/listing/567505291/coon-dick-to...pick for 1 Usable Toothpick Made In USA

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

Video: How to Make a Raccoon Baculum Toothpick

It seems like every southern state has adopted the raccoon baculum as their own. You may have heard it called the "Texas Toothpick," "Arkansas Toothpick," or "(insert your favorite state) Toothpick." Regardless of where it originated, the curved penis bone of the raccoon is one of the most unique bones in the mammal kingdom. Native Americans used the bone to pack pipes for smoking. People use them ornamentally as necklaces. If you have a set, they can be used as horderve forks. However, the most functional use for the non-tobacco user is as a toothpick.

By grinding the tip down you can reach those hard to get to spots in the back of the mouth. It's not much different than a modern dentist's pick. In this video I'll teach you how to extract a baculum, clean it with dish soap and hydrogen peroxide, then grind the tip. In terms of specifics, boil the baculum in water with a squirt of dish soap for five minutes. Then use "40 Volume Clear Developer" hydrogen peroxide to whiten the bone. This can be purchased for cheap online or at a local salon supply store. I used a 50/50 mix of water and peroxide.

Call it hillbilly, or whatever you want, but I'll bet you a tanned coonhide you'll be the only one on the block with one of these classy tools.
Morning Dwayne!

Those are black tailed jackrabbits.

VERY plentiful out west, and usually a non-game animal with no closed season, and no bag limit.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

DAMN... that looks fun...
Dwayne,

Happy Fathers Day to you too my Friend!

These are all Jacks.

Cottontails would be worth eating unlike nasty old jacks, and I lay into the Jacks. I normally give the little Cottontails a free pass unless I am going to eat one. There are but a fraction of them as compared to the desert jacks, which are just vermin, so we let the little Cottontails go and hope they survive.

When I do shoot a cottontail I only take what I need for a meal, no more.

The old Flattop is what I call my "Taffin" gun in honor of writer John Taffin. Many years ago I traveled over to Boise to go to a gun show with a friend who is the co owner of Milt Sparks. He built the holster for the gun:

Anyways Jim and I had breakfast with J.T. and I told John that I was looking for a shorter barrel and some grips for the gun as it came with a 6.5" barrel originally. Long story short, John invited me over to his house, and gave me both a grip frame and shorter barrel. He showed me how to swap frames on the gun and we swapped the frames in his kitchen. So since then I have referred to the gun as my Taffin gun. It was a very rough old thing when I got it, and appears to have been in the bottom of someone's truck box for a long time, but internally it is solid and shoots straight, as the rabbits will attest.

I never worry about taking it out in crappy weather or getting a bit of rust on it. smile
Red squirrels
It took several pages, but somebody finally mentioned Viet Cong. Our favorite weapon was a 750 pound bomb from a B-52!
Lynx is our traditional Christmas dinner. Usually sweet and sour. Mountain lion is also very good.

Worst I ever tried was sea otter. Even fall brown bear was better!

Muskrats were called marsh hare for years.
I used to run a trapline when I was a kid and we targeted coyotes, foxes and bobcats. All we took were pelts to sell so we never kept the meat. We would catch a few coons, muskrats and beaver and could give those to people that would eat them. I have eaten bobcat since then and wish I had kept the meat but I was a kid and that was how I got spending $$$.

The only thing I have actively hunted that wasn't eaten was a Vaal Rhebok in South Africa. After I shot it and had it skinned for a lifesize mount the PH told me they would leave the carcass in the field, which was unusual since they always took the meat back to camp on other animals. I asked why and the PH took out a knife and sliced into a hind quarter and it was crawling with worms in the meat. PH told me they a host for a fly larvae and that they all had them in the meat and that they are the only small antelope in Africa that is not utilized. If I had known that beforehand I wouldn't have shot it but it was already skinned when I found out.
I’ll eat almost anything if it doesn’t smell bad and someone else cooks it. 😎

When we lived in Florida my summer trap line was moles. I am pretty sure this is where I deal the line. 😂

Mackay;
Thanks for the reply and further photos, I appreciate it.

We've eaten a couple Saskatchewan Jack rabbits back in the day and I don't recall them being wonderful table fare at all, no...

That said Mackay, I did know I'd married the right woman when she'd answer my VHF radio call from the tractor announcing I'd "shot something for supper" in a positive if not sometimes tentative manner! laugh

As an aside and off topic, I really love the bound edge hat too. I've never owned one or even tried one on, but like a big Buckaroo straw hat they look right on some folks.

The Taffin revolver has a wonderful story and I enjoyed reading about it, so thanks again.

All the best to you all down south and God Bless you on Father's Day sir.

Dwayne
rockinbbar;
Morning sir, I hope the day's a good one for you in your part of Texas.

Thanks for the info on the type of bunny, I appreciate you answering my query.

All the best to you and Happy Father's Day too.

Dwayne
Anybody mention feral cats?
Lots of feral cats.
Although I don't think the ones wearing collars were all that feral.

Had to protect my baby chicks and ducklings.
Dwayne,

These are all Jacks.

Cottontails would be worth eating unlike nasty old jacks, and I lay into the Jacks. I normally give the little Cottontails a free pass unless I am going to eat one. There are but a fraction of them as compared to the desert jacks, which are just vermin, so we let the little Cottontails go and hope they survive.

The old Flattop is what I call my "Taffin" gun in honor of writer John Taffin. Many years ago I traveled over to Boise to go to a gun show with a friend who is the co owner of Milt Sparks. He built the holster for the gun:

Anyways Jim and I had breakfast with J.T. and I told John that I was looking for a shorter barrel and some grips for the gun as it came with a 6.5" barrel originally. Long story short, John invited me over to his house, and gave me both a grip frame and shorter barrel. He showed me how to swap frames on the gun and we swapped the frames in his kitchen. So since then I have referred to the gun as my Taffin gun. It was a very rough old thing when I got it, and appears to have been in the bottom of someone's truck box for a long time, but internally it is solid and shoots straight, as the rabbits will attest.

I never worry about taking it out in crappy weather or getting a bit of rust on it. smile

Mackay:

Do you ever take your revolver and wander up the Pahsimeroi Valley looking for jacks? That would have to be a cool adventure.

Greg Perry
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Anybody mention feral cats?

The local oriental restaurant will buy those things- - - - - -"Filet Meow"

During the depression my great grandfather used to head shoot cottontail rabbits with a .22 rifle, field dress, and sell them to local grocery stores. He had to leave the ears on and unskinned to convince them he was not selling cats. With the skin and head off, cats and rabbits look surprisingly similar.

——————————

NO offense intended.

That is one ugly Chihuahua 😁
There's no critter i wouldn't eat if i was very very hungry, but i avoid Aoudad, and Javelina, normally. Rio7
Copperheads
Originally Posted by gaperry59
Dwayne,

These are all Jacks.

Mackay:

Do you ever take your revolver and wander up the Pahsimeroi Valley looking for jacks? That would have to be a cool adventure.

Greg Perry

Greg,

Yep.

I have spent countless hours on the Pahsimeroi.

I don't think I have pics of that particular revolver, but plenty of others.

And this is Horse Heaven Pass, same place Keith took this Jack.

Sorry for the "sanitized" I was working a different job back then.

Same .44 I use to kill elk I use to kill Squirrels

Pahsimeroi Valley

Friend of mine owns a huge ranch in the Owyhees, and also runs on several adjacent BLM allotments. It is in incredibly desolate country. He has 4-5 of those cabins and has the same kind of sign. Has a "guest" logbook for one of them too, as it is a fairly popular ATV area. I stay at one occasionally when hunting Mountain lions.
Originally Posted by gunzo

I bet they are fun to shoot!
Dwayne,

These are all Jacks.

Great pics and cool story, Mackay_Sagebrush!
Originally Posted by hanco

yep.......a good dog town can keep ya busy

Barrel warms up fast.....thus the 'Sham Wow' soaked in cold ice water

Keeps mirage waves out of scope too

Spare rifle or two also a good idea

Takes a lot of ammo, be buying bulk bullets
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Friend of mine owns a huge ranch in the Owyhees, and also runs on several adjacent BLM allotments. It is in incredibly desolate country. He has 4-5 of those cabins and has the same kind of sign. Has a "guest" logbook for one of them too, as it is a fairly popular ATV area. I stay at one occasionally when hunting Mountain lions.

The Owyhees is VERY remote for sure.

I have floated the river. That is an adventure itself. Met the first wife at the Big Loop roundup in Jordan Valley. Used to go to the Cattleman's Association dances when they were up in Silver City a long time ago. How we survived that I don't know. Fun Times.

Tough country to hunt lions in for sure.

People have no idea what remote is in the lower 48 until they have been out on the ION. smile
Ducks, give them away. Divers and sea ducks, puddle ducks are edible.
I often take out of state friends up that same drive - a great day trip.

The pasture just past the cabin on the left always has a few ground squirrels to shoot on the way up the creek.

Pahsimeroi Valley

Takes a lot of ammo, be buying bulk bullets

Nosler BT's

Hornady V Max

Even p/dogs deserve a good clean one shot kill
These days usually it's possum and coons. Occasionally a skunk and occasionally a coyote if I see one while deer hunting and decide to shoot it. I have had coon - not great, kind of greasy, and I have eaten possum, once at my grandmother's. Neither was memorable either way. I'd eat them if I had to.
Originally Posted by drover

The pasture just past the cabin on the left always has a few ground squirrels to shoot on the way up the creek.

Pahsimeroi Valley

That is EXACTLY where I shot these at. smile

Same with snow geese. Tough and chewy.
Never shot any more. Won't shoot any critter I don't plan on eating, other than pests, like agressive coons and the aforementioned feral cats.
You posted a picture of a high mountain lake the other day (which I can't find now) - was that Mirriam lake? It sure looked like it to me but it has been a few years since I have been inclined to hike up to it.

Originally Posted by drover

[quote=Mackay_Sagebrush]Pahsimeroi Valley

That is EXACTLY where I shot these at.

Never shot any more. Won't shoot any critter I don't plan on eating, other than pests, like agressive coons and the aforementioned feral cats.
Snow geese can live 20 years, Canada geese even longer. Indeed the old adults are not very good to eat!

However, if you only shoot the dingy-looking or "dirty" snow geese they are the young-of-the-year birds and they are MUCH better table fare!

When I was an impoverished graduate student, I lived at one of the great snow migration sites.

To save money, pretty much all of the meat I ate was from snow geese, ducks (mallards and canvasbacks mostly), sandhill cranes or whitetail deer.

Oh, and to add flavor, some bacon to wrap the above-listed critters in while cooking. laugh

John
Elephant, water buffalo, pot bellied pigs, dinks.
Interesting life you've led DD.
Originally Posted by jpb

Snow geese can live 20 years, Canada geese even longer. Indeed the old adults are not very good to eat!

However, if you only shoot the dingy-looking or "dirty" snow geese they are the young-of-the-year birds and they are MUCH better table fare!

When I was an impoverished graduate student, I lived at one of the great snow migration sites.

To save money, pretty much all of the meat I ate was from snow geese, ducks (mallards and canvasbacks mostly), sandhill cranes or whitetail deer.

Oh, and to add flavor, some bacon to wrap the above-listed critters in while cooking. laugh

John
Strenuous use of a tenderizing hammer and chicken-frying is your friend. Bacon is a plus.
Another time I took some geese to a friend that owned a Chinese restaurant. All variants he cooked turned out delicious and his family joined us at our table. Wouldn't hesitate doing it again.
Originally Posted by DMc
Another time I took some geese to a friend that owned a Chinese restaurant. All variants he cooked turned out delicious and his family joined us at our table. Wouldn't hesitate doing it again.
Leighton and I Have traded sea ducks to a Chinese restaurant in china town Boston for real food.
Drover,

Yes that alpine lake was Merriam. I went into that and Pass Lake on that trip with my dad and oldest kiddo.

Ice cold clear water

Originally Posted by DMc
Leighton and I Have traded sea ducks to a Chinese restaurant in china town Boston for real food.

False. The restaurant wasn't within 50 miles of Boston, and it wasn't in Chinatown. Further, there was no trade involved. The birds were gifted to the owner, who gave them to his kitchen staff, as they knew how to prepare them and make them edible for themselves. We got taken care of with the food because Jack takes good care of his friend, the owner. Bartering or selling the meat of recreationally caught fish (both salt and fresh) and wild game is a violation of MA state law. One that has teeth.
Skeeters, flies, ticks, cats, buzzards, hawks, iggles, coyotes, Bobcats, hogs....
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by DMc

False. The restaurant wasn't within 50 miles of Boston, and it wasn't in Chinatown. Further, there was no trade involved. The birds were gifted to the owner, who gave them to his kitchen staff, as they knew how to prepare them and make them edible for themselves. We got taken care of with the food because Jack takes good care of his friend, the owner. Bartering or selling the meat of recreationally caught fish (both salt and fresh) and wild game is a violation of MA state law. One that has teeth.

Lol
Mouflon
Just got done killin a big ol wasp nest.
Crows.... killed hundreds of them over the years, never ate one though.
A fair representation......

ya!

GWB
You never ate a dink?
Raccoon , possum, rats, prairie dog, crows , snakes, muskrat, skunk, coyote, probably a few others , but ones I had a license for that were pretty hard to choke down were javelina, mountain goat and a few really stinky pronghorn.
Coyotes, feral cats, snakes, and skunks. Most everything else. I eat beef, pork, chicken, and fish. And careful about the parts within.

Nasty bugs, pests, and immediate threats is all the non-edible stuff that I kill anymore. Wasn't always the case.
Drover,

Yes that alpine lake was Merriam. I went into that and Pass Lake on that trip with my dad and oldest kiddo.

I was pretty sure but it has been a few years since I was there. It seems that every time I have been at Mirriam lake it was windy and cold, even in the summer.
That whole trip is a great part of Idaho that very few people are aware of (and I am glad) I can't ever recall ever seeing anyone else in there.

drover
© 24hourcampfire