Home
Imagine being the first hiker that last bear crosses paths with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMmQHSA6Cs
I dont think I ever want to bump into something like that.....
Yall keep them the hell away from myrtle beach
He was angry and looking for revenge on something or someone.
Holy cow eek

I’m guessing these were just your average grizzlys.

Even as we speak there’ll be mountain bikers out there riding the Continental Divide Trail.
I've seen them stand on their hind legs and claw at the air as we flew over their heads in a Super Cub.
They are not that scary, a quick scratch on the chin calms them right down.
It would suck to have a flat tire on there little trailer.
All I can say after watching that is there must be a lot of very slow readers in Montana.
Brother got to tag along during a release recently and sent me some photos and video of a young female that was trapped near Heron, MT and relocated presumably in the Cabinet Mtns Wilderness.
I suppose I'm old school. I'd shoot ever one I saw. Sharks and crocodiles too.
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Brother got to tag along during a release recently and sent me some photos and video of a young female that was trapped near Heron, MT and relocated presumably in the Cabinet Mtns Wilderness.

They dump a lot of problem bears in the Cabinet mountains.
I’ve watched that video several times before. The power and aggression of that bear always leaves me a bit awed. I hope he mellows out in his new home.
Put a bullet in its skull and dump it off in a ditch.

There
So, i live where that’s filmed. And yeah, mt fwp loves to drop every flippin’ problem bear they can find in the cabinets. Problem bear in the quiet yaak? Say, let’s move her to the cabinets. Genetics, genetics, blah blah. One they released 12mi down the road from me at a drive-in backcountry lake/campsite - thanks! Brilliant, too.

But that said i wish the vid was required viewing for every bright-eyed new-comer (of which there are MANY) strapped with his new 44mag or 454 in a chest holster, chest puffed out at the grocery store, living out his strapped grizzly adams fantasy freshly retired from the city.

Neat videos. Phenomenal beasts. A hearty respect bordering on fear, or just fear. I still go, even alone, but do appreciate the score for what it is. Sorta like being on the mountain in a lightening storm. Not good but you know you’re gonna make it. Oh, it’ll be fine.

Usually.
Tough fuggers
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Holy cow eek

I’m guessing these were just your average grizzlys.

Even as we speak there’ll be mountain bikers out there riding the Continental Divide Trail.

Ahh, what're a few lives lost or ruined long as we have Grizzley Bears running in the woods.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
All I can say after watching that is there must be a lot of very slow readers in Montana.

It was done for those east of the Mississippi! memtb
as far as i'm concerned you can shoot every last one of them fuggers on earth.

While I certainly have great respect for bears (all), I have much greater heartburn with wolves. Bears multiply very slowly, and their numbers are easily controlled.....If activist judges will allow! Bears also generally feed on a kill until it is no more.....Wolves are often wanton killers and reproduce quite rapidly! JMO memtb
I hear all those bears released in the Cabinets head to N. Idaho.
I’ll be pushing for a new bear release area at Zilker Park just across the river from beautiful downtown Austin! 😉
I think that second Grizz was saying, "I wants me some man meat!!!" grin

Probably find one, too, wearing a back pack and sneakers. wink

L.W.
That second one is going to be in the news come bow season. He’s ready to tear the head off the first human he can find. If we gotta have grizzlies that we can’t hunt, I’m all for capturing every damn one of them and fitting them with a gps collar, then having a app that will tell us users of the habitat they live in where every single one is so we can avoid it.
Years ago I was working a F&G FishTech summer job above Ruby, Alaska, and caught a ride down to Galena with a local fisherman- well fisher girl (and a damned beautiful one too!!!!) , making fish delivery. I had a canoe in storage down there I had to see about getting moved up to the camp for moose season. The boat was loaded pretty heavy, but up on plane, barely, throwing a big wake.

We came on a grizzly swimming the Yukon, and Valerie said "Watch this!", and went by the bear about 30 feet away. We just rolled that sucker!

When it climbed out on shore it was so mad it just pogo- ed up and down on all four stiffened legs, daring us to come ashore for a discussion about our behavior.

Later, we heard some rascally bear tore up a half-dozen fish camps that night along that stretch of river.

I'm sure it was just coincidence......... smile

Another case of what seemed like a good idea at the time that wasn't worth a schit! Funny as hell tho.

Some years ago F&G did some bear removal during spring calving season near McGrath, removing mostly black bears from an area to try to increase moose calf survival rate. They took all the single bears they could , leaving sows with cubs alone. Ended up moving 2-3 times as many as pre-effort estimated they would.

One bear they moved 60 miles was back a couple days later.

The experiment was fairly successful tho - calf survival went up significantly. Just a few weeks relief before the bear population filled back in was all it took for many more calves to become far less helpless.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ll be pushing for a new bear release area at Zilker Park just across the river from beautiful downtown Austin! 😉

LOL
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
That second one is going to be in the news come bow season. He’s ready to tear the head off the first human he can find. If we gotta have grizzlies that we can’t hunt, I’m all for capturing every damn one of them and fitting them with a gps collar, then having a app that will tell us users of the habitat they live in where every single one is so we can avoid it.

Maybe add a shock function to the collars so they all get a jolt if they come within 50 yards of a person. Of course you'd have to sell or rent the human carried transmitters. Hmmmm, a business opportunity is slowly evolving in my mind.
Our ticks are meaner than that.
Probably already familiar stuff for those familiar with the Cabinets....

Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Probably already familiar stuff for those familiar with the Cabinets....

I was just up in the cabinets berry picking. People that dont live in grizzly country love them.
Cool. Definitely a fluff piece, but cool.

What was Irene doing when she was "killed by a hunter"? As Ron White would say, "That's an important piece of information" ! Notable in it's absence.

In one of the Sackett books is the statement (possibly paraphrased), " It's fascinating how filled up a country can get with just you and a grizzly in it!".

So true! I have several (brown bears- coastal version of griz- for neighbors. ). Mostly they are no problem- don't even see them- if one isn't doing something stupid like keeping poultry, feeding the dog outdoors or leaving garbage out. With more abundant resources, they tend to be more mild mannered than interior bears, I'm told.

Mostly - there have been at least 3 attacks in SC Alaska since this spring, which is unusually high.

According the bear gun threads, a 9mm could easily stop all that bear adrenaline.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
According the bear gun threads, a 9mm could easily stop all that bear adrenaline.

Not "easily".....in a pistol. A heavy bullet in a big fat rifle cartridge - then it gets better, in theory.
OK what's the new way to post video's ? - copying the browser addy , leaving the http// off , just copy the www. part always worked - hasn't worked in month's ?? Any help . . .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iF7If6pk4&ab_channel=TonyBoy
Dangerous sumbeeches. But oh, so many people feel good "just knowing there's bears." Thousands of miles away.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
OK what's the new way to post video's ? - copying the browser addy , leaving the http// off , just copy the www. part always worked - hasn't worked in month's ?? Any help . . .

Under the youtube video it says "share" click/copy then paste using the full editor like you use to

Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Dangerous sumbeeches. But oh, so many people feel good "just knowing there's bears." Thousands of miles away.

They can be- it's a matter of perspective. I rather liked her at 100 yards or more, getting out of Dodge. Not so much at 3 yards.... where I had other concerns than taking a picture.... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Closet I've been is maybe 10 yards of brush away. Not pleasant at all. Softly, softly.....
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Under the youtube video it says "share" click/copy then paste using the full editor like you use to

Thanks LH700 worked perfect !!!!
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

when in grizz country there is...at least for me....a heightened sense of awareness ....when you do see them you gotta admit its pretty cool.......bob
270Winchester: From what I have seen of Grizzled Bears throughout the west, Canada and Alaska... YOU, don't want one biting into and tearing at your flesh.
That is all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
They release them behind my house as well. And several well traveled buy tourists locations too. Problem bears should be euthanized. Period. Not moved.

neighbor had the [bleep] eating his pigs, chickens, shidting on his porch. Called the queers at F&G. The set culvert traps. Didn't catch them. F&G flat admitted the couldn't catch them in the traps because they were wise to it, and had been trapped before.

Neighbor has moved now, and I haven't heard of any grizzlies getting whacked lately, though I hope it has happened and just kept the fugk quiet.

I like that they are here and part of the ecosystem, I don't like that I'm facing financial ruination for blowing the guts out of one for climbing through my electric fence, and eating my chickens or attacking my dogs.

What's wrong with 6th Street on a Saturday night?
Originally Posted by RiverRider

There are some things I just wouldn’t even do to a bear!

LOL !

LOL !
© 24hourcampfire