Home
Posted By: Valsdad The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Finally, a rainstorm yesterday afternoon.

Rainfall total, lower left of display. WooHoo, was worth a party I think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Rub it in why don't ya?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Like "They" say...........

if you've got it.....................flaunt it!
Posted By: slumlord Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
We’ve been 3 days without rain
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
It's to cool down, and it might rain, might rain Friday.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Three summers here... frown
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Yeah, basically,

And not much moisture of any kind this past winter either.

Hey Bruce, I lost track of that thread. Did your campsite make it through the fire?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: The drought has broken - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yeah, basically,

Hey Bruce, I lost track of that thread. Did your campsite make it through the fire?

It has so far, but if that enormous Dixie Fire gets pushed east hard it could move the 15-20 miles east and meet up with the west edge of the Beckworth Complex burn, wiping us out. It's been a brutal fire season with the long drought and 17 solid days of triple digit temps. It could run well into November with the continued drought.

Just yesterday two couples and good friends of ours went back home to Topaz Ranch after evacuating last Thursday from the Tamarack fire. We went over with trucks and helped them evacuate to our place.
Posted By: EdM Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
A light drizzle yesterday AM. Just enough to keep the dust on the roads and leave a nice scent from the trees.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
You guys out on the west coast obviously don't wash cars or leave the windows down.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
Well crap L2S, still looking somewhat dire then.

Let's pray for some moisture over that way. And temps to drop. No 100 degree days in our forecast for the next week, a very welcome relief. 90 something today was hot enough.

Good luck with the camp.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
You guys out on the west coast obviously don't wash cars or leave the windows down.

I wash our vehicles once a year

whether they need it or not.

The two passenger cars even got waxed this past month, so there.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
It's been a cooker Geno.

Mid 90's here for the next week, a welcome relief from the 100's.

At least when everything is so far gone you quit hoping for a saving rain.

No big let down, if you know what I mean.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean.

Not in the same way as a guy in your shoes, but I know.

We're just hoping the well doesn't slow down much before the rain/snow comes.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21

So they're clean, but sometimes that is not enough. You must be keeping the windows rolled up. wink
Posted By: Dutch Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
We got a quarter inch at the fish farm around 3 today, nothing five miles up the road at the house. Canal water runs out this week; if we don’t get rain, no third cutting or Fall graze on the fields that rely on the canal company water. Most guys are complaining they are barely getting half their normal hay yields, unless they flood. Lots of cows being sold.

But, chance of rain for four out of the next six days, and temps in the high 70’s and low 80’s. Might not help much, but can’t hurt much, either.

So they're clean, but sometimes that is not enough. You must be keeping the windows rolled up. wink

When one lives 15 miles from town, surrounded on three sides by public lands, and an open lot on the street side, one leaves the windows up to keep the mice and packrats out. I even have to put hardware cloth in the air box intake to keep them from nesting in the air filter.
Originally Posted by Dutch
We got a quarter inch at the fish farm around 3 today, nothing five miles up the road at the house. Canal water runs out this week; if we don’t get rain, no third cutting or Fall graze on the fields that rely on the canal company water. Most guys are complaining they are barely getting half their normal hay yields, unless they flood. Lots of cows being sold.

But, chance of rain for four out of the next six days, and temps in the high 70’s and low 80’s. Might not help much, but can’t hurt much, either.

My neighbor's first cut of alfalfa looked really crappy. He generally relies on winter and spring moisture before he turns on the pivot. He looks to have had a decent second cut. All the dryland hay fields around here looked really weak before cutting.

I'm thinking the guys with water rights to the Pit and the pivot folks will make some money this year.

Big pivot operation over the ridge at Alturas Ranches is the one my neighbor thinks impacts our aquifer. And with no rain, I'm sure those folks are pumping like mad.

Good luck with getting some rain over there.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
Wow....01" 1/100ths....That's gotta be like the season total.. Geno be pickin' watermelons, watercress, snow peas, iceberg lettuce.
Posted By: EdM Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It's been a cooker Geno.

Mid 90's here for the next week, a welcome relief from the 100's.

At least when everything is so far gone you quit hoping for a saving rain.

No big let down, if you know what I mean.

Sam,

As you know we head up here for the cool summers. That said it looks like staying in the Hill Country of Texas would have been a better option weather wise. Otherwise, not. The heeler pup is loving the water.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
I don’t think I’ve seen rain since maybe early to mid June? It’s pretty dry.

We had a hot stretch right before the fourth, but it’s been pretty typical since. 75-85 and sunny. Supposed to get up to 88 by Friday.

Nights stay cool. Mid 50’s.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21

Yeah, basically,

It has so far, but if that enormous Dixie Fire gets pushed east hard it could move the 15-20 miles east and meet up with the west edge of the Beckworth Complex burn, wiping us out. It's been a brutal fire season with the long drought and 17 solid days of triple digit temps. It could run well into November with the continued drought.

Just yesterday two couples and good friends of ours went back home to Topaz Ranch after evacuating last Thursday from the Tamarack fire. We went over with trucks and helped them evacuate to our place.

SIL just left the Dixie fire today after a long stint up there. Hoping it stops for you, but 2 more days of 100 won't help.

Son's Station is at the Tamarack fire, he'll probably be sent up there soon.

The Tamarack area is my summer camping area, I've been going there for 40+ years. Grover's hot springs, Markleeville I think got saved but not much else. Several of our favorite hiking spots got torched. From Raymond lake, wet meadows, The PCT and markleeville peak all got hammered from poor decisions of not putting out a few smoldering tree's before they ignited and spread near wet meadows. Sad
Posted By: Hubert Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21

what kind of car is a two passenger.. most cars here are 4 passengers..
Originally Posted by Hubert

Yeah, the English language can be strange that way.

Guess I might have said the passenger cars, two of them.....................

But in any case our cars are basically "two passenger" vehicles, unless you count the dog when we take them. Both are hatchback types. One a 2003/4 Matrix in which I don't believe the back seats have ever been used, they're folded down so the dogs crates could fit in them. On the 20167 RAV4, I know of one instance in which I took the dog crates out and lifted the seats back up so I could play driver to me and 3 friends for a get together 100 miles away. Never used those back seats in the nearly 5 years we've owned it.

Either way, what I typed is OK by me. wink
Posted By: slumlord Re: The drought has broken - 07/29/21
I wouldnt know what to do if I lived in a blissful environment where my leather gloves didnt have green mold grow on them overnight, or the steering wheel of my truck white pasty mildew on it and the door handles in 3 days parked in the garage. Or having bread that lasted more than a couple days.
Fingerprint turns to rust on a rifle barrel in 6 hours.

Or dang, imagine how awesome it would be have my reloading set up in an outside metal shop without my dies rusting. Can’t leave dog food out in feed cans, turns to mush and sours. Hay gets moldy PDQ too.

Black mold on all the tractor controls and mower steering wheels.

It didnt rain here one year 2007 for about 3 months. Holy crap we were able to pour two big patios, redeck and re shingle 46 squares of roofing a paint the whole house, stain all three decks. A summer of uninterrupted improvements. Oh well, those were good times. I like knocking chit out and moving on to the next job.

About every afternoon is a 30-50% of rain and 90% humidity.

I hate that you all it so extreme the opposite. I’d trade you some mold and mildew and half of our rain.

These tomatoes are killing it too. Aggravation things, supposed to be non determinates. Must be the rain.

But in any case our cars are basically "two passenger" vehicles, unless you count the dog when we take them. Both are hatchback types. One a 2003/4 Matrix in which I don't believe the back seats have ever been used, they're folded down so the dogs crates could fit in them. On the 20167 RAV4, I know of one instance in which I took the dog crates out and lifted the seats back up so I could play driver to me and 3 friends for a get together 100 miles away. Never used those back seats in the nearly 5 years we've owned it.

What about those fág wagon mazda miatas?

2 passenger.
How much rain is "normal" there in a year?

You visited a couple years back where I used to live on the Coast, by the redwoods.

I know about all that stuff you posted. Opened up a car door I hadn't used in a couple of months and there was moss growing on the floorboard next to the seat. Not mold, moss, like what grows on trees and rocks. That crap even grew in the drip gutters on the cars we used regularly!

60" + the last winter we lived there. We'd get a break though, from June until Oct or so, very little rain. Just fog coming in from the ocean when it heated up inland and sucked the cold air in off the ocean. Even in a greenhouse I could barely get tomatoes to ripen.

Made for some nice big trees though. cool

What about those fág wagon mazda miatas?

2 passenger.

I never owned one.

Or a real sports car.

Prolly be Ded like Roy an' Dusty if I had.
I just heard about Dusty.

Has anyone started a thread?

VomitGuy should get on that.
I'd start one, but I'm sure I'll find a new one in the morning.

NO duplicates necessary!

resolution means I can't tell if that is 0.01" or 0 01m aka 1CM..
when yiu are that dry, too much too soon is a bad thing..
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The drought has broken - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

resolution means I can't tell if that is 0.01" or 0 01m aka 1CM..
when yiu are that dry, too much too soon is a bad thing..

We measure in inches here. 0.01"
© 24hourcampfire