Home
Posted By: kennyd New to me Hawes - 07/30/21
Bit on a western Marshall. 357, 6 1/2 inch. 90 percent. I have ben itching for a SA. If I read right the 67 on the barrel is year. No transfer bar, frame mounted firing pin so carry 5. A close copy of colt, no added sight in the top strap, just the groove

Reports I read say pretty accurate, light trigger, well made. We'll see. Gotta go play cowboy now
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: New to me Hawes - 07/30/21
Very cool. I have a soft spot for cheap (no offense) knock offs of the SAA from years back. Congrats and enjoy.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: New to me Hawes - 07/30/21
Do not let biden know he wants everything except single shots.
Posted By: Chisos Re: New to me Hawes - 07/30/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Very cool. I have a soft spot for cheap (no offense) knock offs of the SAA from years back. Congrats and enjoy.

Hawes revolvers were very well made by J.P Sauer in Germany and had a pretty good reputation back then.
Posted By: kennyd Re: New to me Hawes - 07/31/21
Took it out today. Shoots low with me just holding the top of sight in notch and 6 o'clock hold. Gave it more front sight and brought it up. Way better than needing a 2 inch tall front. Grouped 3 inches or so at 20. Considering I am the shakiest gun in the west and have really old eyes that is ok.
Posted By: jwall Re: New to me Hawes - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by kennyd
Bit on a western Marshall. 357, 6 1/2 inch. 90 percent. I have ben itching for a SA. If I read right the 67 on the barrel is year. No transfer bar, frame mounted firing pin so carry 5. A close copy of colt, no added sight in the top strap, just the groove

Reports I read say pretty accurate, light trigger, well made. We'll see. Gotta go play cowboy now

Somewhere around 1971 (?) I got a
Hawes Marshall.

I hope I was just unlucky. After shooting it numerous
times the hammer would NOT stay cocked.
It was not properly heat treated and SOFT.

I removed the hammer & filed the notch deeper.
That worked * a while *. I had to repeat that several times before I got rid of it.

Hopefully yours isn’t like that one.

I hate to bear bad news but that’s how it was.

Heads Up for a soft hammer.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: New to me Hawes - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Chisos
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Hawes revolvers were very well made by J.P Sauer in Germany and had a pretty good reputation back then.
My comment was directed towards their supposed prices as opposed to their quality. You never saw a Hawes or Great Western (another quality SAA knock off) around here. They were always in Gun Price Guides very cheap, but you never saw one.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: New to me Hawes - 08/01/21
I have a 44 magnum that is a good shooter. Here's hoping that yours is as well.
© 24hourcampfire