Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Few thoughts on a new application for my minigun. Contrary to Hollywood theory, no man on earth can hold a minigun when it is fired. They don’t have recoil in the traditional sense, but rather thrust. A lot of thrust.

I don’t have a chopper at present but do have a remarkable population of squirrels running amuck on the homestead. So what I’m looking at is a functional tree rat load with cast bullets. Since the system is not gas operated there’s no need to fret about that. I figure was mild loads the brass and links will last quite a long time. I could even work with a suppressor and subsonic loads. I don’t care if the neighbors get a few holes in their roofs.
Figure 6,000 rounds/minute in 3 second bursts. I would like to use a 6 cavity mould.

So my questions follow:

What bottom pour pot would work?

What bullet design and weight? Gas check?

How often should I anneal the brass?

Blue Dot?

How do I make a cast bullet tracer?

Is there any significant risk hazard from falling tree limbs?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

DD

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Might as well have some fun, set down some rails and mount that bastard on a cart, see what kind of speed you can get out of it.....
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Hadn’t thought of that, thanks! Was thinking that with plinker loads I might be able to hang on, but with a rail cart I could have some fun with the grand kids when they visit.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
That's right Johnny, press the red button and hold on.

Coolest grandpa EVER!!!!!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
LOL!!!

Make a squirrel catapult!!!

Plenty of ideas on the web.
🤪🤪🤪😄😄😄
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
LOL!!!

Make a squirrel catapult!!!

Plenty of ideas on the web.
🤪🤪🤪😄😄😄

LMAO

🦫
Catapult? Would that be something useful for “wing” shooting practice? Sporting Squill?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
I know a guy that mounted two Ruger 10/22s to a dirt bike's handlebars and then fabricated a hand crank system so they could be rapid fired by turning the crank with the left hand, as you controlled your speed and turning with the right.

It was fun, and beer was most certintly involved.
Posted By: viking Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/13/9mm-gatling-gun-from-tippmann-armory/

Perhaps this might be of some interest.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Black powder.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Need some suggestions - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know a guy that mounted two Ruger 10/22s to a dirt bike's handlebars and then fabricated a hand crank system so they could be rapid fired by turning the crank with the left hand, as you controlled your speed and turning with the right.

It was fun, and beer was most certintly involved.

Neighbor did two SKS's on a tripod, each crank fired 4 rounds, was kinda fun
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Black powder.

Oh Lord, that would make a sweet smelling cloud, no? grin
© 24hourcampfire