Home
Anyone ever try any of the aftermarket batteries for power tools??
I can buy multiple aftermarket for the price of 1 dewalt battery. If they are worth a dang would be a good way to go it seems. Obviously if not I’d rather pay for the oem.

I see multiple companies making aftermarket batteries for power tools. Vanon seems to be the most common one. Some reviews seem like they are actually fairly good

Curious if any of you have any experience with them??
Bought some aftermarket for a makita 6 years ago, still working
I'm in the market for some for our lawnmower.

I have two I got awhile back for the price of one Black and Decker, maybe cheaper. One won't charge now and the other I have to wiggle around on the charger to get it to stay in charging mode. I think this is their second full year? I was much happier with the original ones.

Trying to decide if I buy a charger first and attempt to see if they will charge on a new one. Maybe the charger is shot.

While shopping this morning I saw a link that had some apparently with LG lithium units in them, LG has a decent rep but I don't trust ANYTHING coming from China anymore and most of these are made there.................even the OEM.

Shame a replacement factory battery costs 1/3 of a new mower with two batteries did when purchased.
Originally Posted by chris_c

Do you remember who you got them from?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'm in the market for some for our lawnmower.

I have two I got awhile back for the price of one Black and Decker, maybe cheaper. One won't charge now and the other I have to wiggle around on the charger to get it to stay in charging mode. I think this is their second full year? I was much happier with the original ones.

Trying to decide if I buy a charger first and attempt to see if they will charge on a new one. Maybe the charger is shot.

While shopping this morning I saw a link that had some apparently with LG lithium units in them, LG has a decent rep but I don't trust ANYTHING coming from China anymore and most of these are made there.................even the OEM.

Shame a replacement factory battery costs 1/3 of a new mower with two batteries did when purchased.

Dammit Geno.

An electric lamn mower?
I have bought several factory Dewalt batteries that were DOA.
Bought a Vanon for my GreenWorks blower and trimmer. Didn't last 1 season.
I have several aftermarket batteries for my Ridgid tools. Bought them from Amazon about 4 years ago and still using them. The Ridgid tools were my dailies for about 3 years, so the batteries got a LOT of use and I haven't seen any issues yet.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have bought several factory Dewalt batteries that were DOA.

I will assume they are very similar built inside with the circuit board and all as Milwaukee. I've had some Milwaukee batteries that I had to jump start. No joke. Run jumper wires to the battery that would not charge they give it just enough charge to kick the charger on and then they've been good every since.
Aftermarket why's my experience with off-brand batteries they run about half as long on a full charge even raided the same amp hours
I think I've bought aftermarket batteries from ebay that were alright.
I have 3 sets of the DeWalt 18v replacements from Amazon. They are only ok, wearing out earlier and not lasting as long as the originals. They sometimes throw a hot battery code when charging, something the DeWalt never did. By the looks of the sticker they all come from the same factory in China. I’m not sure they are a good value, but they get you back to using your tools for 1/4 the cost of the factory battery.
When our Makita 9 volt batteries quit we bought new tools because of battery cost and more power.
years later I tried a 9V battery that was less that $15 delivered from ebay.
It preformed so well that more have been purchased.
The smaller lighter 9 volt cordless will do most jobs a 18V Dewalt will with a smaller lighter very handy tool.
I bought some from ebay a few years back,had nothing but trouble with them.
Then had even more trouble trying to return them.
I'm sure there are good ones out there,just the ones I tried were junk.
Do your homework.
Not sounding good. Might just bite the bullet and buy some more dewalt batteries. I don’t depend on my tools to make a living anymore, but last thing I want is junk tools when I’m in the middle of a project.

I was kinda hoping for the old saying “ you get what you pay for” to be wrong for once. Oh well
I have had very good luck with after market batteries. I always look for the higher amp hour ratings and can usually do better than the OEMs.
No experience with Dewalt batteries, but I had a Porter Cable drill that I could take the battery pack apart, and get new cells and rebuild them. The drill died, and I bought a Rigid, which is supposed to be fully guaranteed including the batteries. Haven't needed a replacement yet.
Buy your OEM batteries around Black Friday . Buy extra. Only Milwaukee here. But my old Dewalts aren't junk.
You are probably better off buying a tool and battery combo than buying a new battery. Thats why I own so many Milwaukee tools but its not a problem that I mind. Many time you will find online sales for a free battery with tool purchase
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by chris_c

Do you remember who you got them from?

Bought them off e-bay. Checked back in history seller not selling presently
I've looked at replacements for Milwaukee M18's but haven't tried any yet. They're priced at about 1/2 the Milwaukee price. Reviews are never as good as factory but some are close.
Have inadvertently ended up with aftermarket (Chinese) batteries for both 18V and 20V DeWalt tools. They suck. Will not hold a charge for 1/2 the usage that the OEM DeWalt batteries will. And when looking online, it can be very difficult to pick through the verbiage to determine if they are OEM or aftermarket...
Have you talked to a battery store! Like Batteries Plus in Medford? They advertise from hearing aids, to atv, golf carts and such. Might be worth a shot. A real store where you can return faulty product!
There is a batteries plus here in town I have found them to historically be pretty high, but typically carry odd things that are harder to find, and better quality
From what I gather, if you are a weekend warrior, you won't notice much difference, but if you put the tools to the max test, there is a difference in run times. The after markets don't have as much run time no matter what is on the package.
© 24hourcampfire