Home
Posted By: Esox357 Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Booked a trip to Alaska, but cant find a rental vehicle WTF? Claim covid caused rental companies to sell off vehicles? Hope they have UBER?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Someone in another thread said to rent u-haul truck ( pickup. Not the box truck 🤣)
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Good luck finding a rental car up here and if you do, it will be spendy. As for the U-Hauls, I've been seeing them a lot lately traveling up and down the Parks and Seward highways so those are getting rented out pretty regularly.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
It's true. The Great Covidiocy ended travel for almost a year. Rental car companies sold off the bulk of their fleets to survive. Now that travel is back, there's a shortage of cars of all kinds (the computer chip shortage has tens of thousands of cars and pickups sitting incomplete.) Nowhere near enough to meet demand.

If you did find one, you'd need a second mortgage to afford a rental. They're going for over $500 a day in many places.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Damn
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Check out Turo. Should be able to find one on there.

Turo Anchorage
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Awesome thanks
Posted By: MD521 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Rent-A-Wreck might still be in business.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Heard of folks flying in to tour Yellowstone, 2 weeks, $3000.

Helena to Billings, one day one way, over $500. Been under $40.

Clusterfuuck.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
My wife is in CA for the week.

Rental car was $1400.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Rental car was $1400.

She shoulda just bought a KIA.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Booked a trip to Alaska, but cant find a rental vehicle WTF? Claim covid caused rental companies to sell off vehicles? Hope they have UBER?

Needed one last fall in Hatteras to get home after a cluster fugk trip. They wouldn’t let me drop it off at a different location so has to wait on a ride from home.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Rental car was $1400.

I’ve owned a few cars that cost less than that laugh
Posted By: las Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/05/21
Billings MT too. Denver wasn't cheap either, but it wasn't a U-haul. But I have no problem with a U-haul PU.... even that was expensive.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Alaska no car rental? - 08/05/21
News was showing Hawaii, Maui i think, $700/day for a chitbox. Couldn't believe it.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by MD521
Rent-A-Wreck might still be in business.

Used to be a rent a wreck did a helluva business in Spenard where the float planes moored. The one I used wasn't rent a wreck...something else but same business model.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Check out Turo. Should be able to find one on there.

Turo Anchorage

I had to go this route recently (not in AK). Cheapest I could find was $150/day, but I needed a car.

Rental car companies had zero availability.

Crazy times.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/06/22
15 years ago we did a 1 week whirlwind tour of Seward to Denali. We did it on the cheap. I found an independent car rental place in Anchorage called Levi Car Rentals (probably not in business now) and told him we wanted the cheapest reliable car he had. Size was no object as long as it held our camping gear. When we got there, he had a 2 door Daiwoo hatchback. I wouldn't buy one but it worked very well for what we were doing and it got 40 mpg.
Posted By: johnw Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/06/22
tag
Posted By: KC Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/06/22

Just for grins, I looked at this site. A seven passenger minivan ought to be convenient for vacation transportation and they are reasonably priced. SUVs and pickups are pricey.

Enterprise Rental Anchorage

Are they maybe advertising something that's not really available?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
We had clients cancel charters last summer once they realized they couldn't just fly up and get a car. Not even booked way out ahead of time often.

In the end it never hurt us but I know lots of folks cancelled.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
Check Enterprise truck rentals.
Posted By: mart Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
When are you booked to come up and for how long? I could be talked into renting our 2010 Ford Escape. We rented it out last year for a couple weeks to help some folks out. Runs good. PM me if you don’t come up with something.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
Thanks Mart, already been up there. Found a person to rent a car from. Rentals were all booked.
Posted By: mart Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
I should have looked at the date stamp on your original post. I’m a maroon.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
No worries, happens to the best of us! 🙂
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
When the COVID boosheit first started and everyone canceled their vacations/flights there were a bunch of rental cars that were parked in a grass field in SoCal. Turns out jooish lightning hit it and destroyed the entire lot, and now after looking it up another 3500 cars in FL had the same thing happen. They like to force insurance, but they are the biggest crooks when it comes to claims.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Alaska no car rental? - 02/07/22
Wife and I went to Idaho in October and rented a car in Spokane for ten days. I about chit as the total was $880. Looks as if things have gotten far worse.
© 24hourcampfire