Home
To me, you don't have be six foot six.

Maybe mental toughness is what I'm wondering about.
Still.[Linked Image from blog.qagoma.qld.gov.au]
5'5" 112 pounds

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Indeed!

I think my mother was tough.
Doing what needs to be done without letting emotionalism interfere is tough.
Good thought Tyrone, Being scared, but going ahead.
I already know that I'm a wuss' so I probably will not take the test, however............

ya!

GWB

You can measure mental toughness

https://www.mentaltoughness.partners/measure-mental-toughness/
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
5'5" 112 pounds

Ironic that he was initially turned down by the military for being underweight
I just ran into a guy who took his boy deer hunting. Said the boy killed one, but decided he couldn't kill anymore. All I could think is "what a puzzy".
Are you all aware John Wayne was character in the movies?
Mohs hardness scale
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Are you all aware John Wayne was character in the movies?

He played himself.
Tough is an accumulation of a lifetime of pain and suffering, but getting back on the horse. If you've never experienced pain and suffering, you're probably not tough.
To me, tough isn't what you can dish out. Tough is what you can take.
I know one guy who, when he was caught by the wrist while working on his swather, spent one night and all the next day caught there; then he amputated his own hand, walked to the house, and called 911. He's tough.
My father-in-law flipped his three wheeled Honda while cruising a timber sale in central Idaho. Broke his leg in three places. He got back on the machine, with his leg propped up on a stick, and rode the two miles back to the landing where he had left his pick-up. Unable to reach anyone on the radio, he drove himself to town. He was tough.
A friend shot a cougar after following it for about eight miles with his bluetick hound. While he was chasing the cat, the temperature started dropping as an arctic front moved in. He was wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans. As he was carrying the cougar out it kept getting colder until the dog wouldn't go any more and just kept digging into the snow. Bill helped the dog dig a good hole into the snowbank and he, the dog, and the dead cougar spent the night together in that hole. In the morning, the wind had quit and it was clear and 31 below zero. He said he didn't know who was stiffer; him or the cat! He walked out that morning, with the 180 pound cat on his shoulder. He's tough.
My wife has been dealing with my crap for over 51 years. She's tough! GD
Being mentally and emotionally tough is more impressive to me than being physically tough.
Getting up & going to work, every morning in this;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wink

Height-waiver Green Beret: Captain James Flaherty was a Special Forces legend

Richard James Flaherty was born on November 28, 1945.

Unbeknownst to his parents, Richard and his mother, Beatrice Rose, shared incompatible blood types (Richard, Rh-Positive; Beatrice, Rh-Negative). This is a dangerous condition that can lead to serious complications for the fetus or even death. Thus, when Richard was born, he was different.

The incompatibilities in the blood caused hormonal imbalances and stunted his growth. When he reached adolescence, Flaherty was small compared to his peers. Flaherty would be considered a dwarf in medical terms, meaning that his height was less than 4’ 10.’’

Short in size he might have been, but short in courage he wasn’t. When the Vietnam War heated up, Flaherty volunteered for the Army. However, he was initially turned down because of his size. It was only after a determined effort, which included the involvement of his local Congressman, that he managed to acquire a waiver.

In 1967, Flaherty attended Army Officer Candidate School (OCS) and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the infantry and assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. He deployed with the Screaming Eagles to Vietnam and served as a platoon and recon platoon leader.

During that 13-month tour to Vietnam, Flaherty received the Silver Star and two Bronze Stars for valor, respectively, the third and second highest award for bravery under fire, and was wounded three times.

His Silver Star citation offers a brief glimpse to Flaherty, the man. The action took place on April 20, 1968, when Flaherty’s platoon was ambushed and came under withering enemy fire.

“Throughout the battle, he repeatedly exposed himself to the hostile fire in order to better direct the suppressive fire of his squads. Lieutenant Flaherty immediately called a 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team to his position after having spotted an enemy bunker position to his front, which was delivering automatic weapons fire on his platoon. Lieutenant Flaherty then personally directed and assisted the 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team in an assault of the enemy bunker, braving up the intense hail of hostile fire. Under Lieutenant Flaherty’s astute direction and leadership, the enemy bunker was swiftly destroyed, enabling his platoon to advance and continue its devastating attack against the enemy.”

After his tour of duty was over, he applied for Special Forces training. But it wasn’t easy. To even attempt Special Forces training, Flaherty had to gain six pounds and get another height waiver.

After successfully graduating the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC), also known as Q course, Flaherty was assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group. He went back to Southeast Asia with the 46th Special Forces Company as a Special Forces Operational Detachment A (SFODA) commander. His ODA was tasked with training the Royal Thai Army in counterinsurgency operations and prepare them for a deployment to Vietnam.

ODA’s are the tactical arm of the Special Forces Regiment. Comprised of 12 Special Forces soldiers, an ODA can operate independently behind enemy lines for long periods of time without supervision.

In 1970, Flaherty was reassigned to the 10th Special Forces Group, where he commanded another ODA and then an Operational Detachment Bravo (ODB), a headquarters element. The following year, 1971, he was discharged from active duty and transferred to the Army Reserves, where he served until 1983.

Flaherty was unfazed by the criticism he continued to receive throughout his life.

In a contemporary interview, he had said that “I’ve taken a lot of kidding about my size. I just tell them I’m 35 pounds of muscle, 14 pounds of dynamite and one pound of uranium-238, and it gets a lot of laughs.”

Flaherty was killed during a hit and run attack on May 9, 2015, in Miami. He had spent his last years alive homeless. In his death, however, he found his home next to the woman he had loved, Lisa Anness Davis.

Former police officer David Yuzuk has written a superb book on Flaherty and his amazing life. You can check it out here.

[Linked Image from sandboxx.us]

Mental toughness can often beat physical toughness.
Having both makes you a force to reckon with.
What’s between the ears
A person that goes to work each day. Supports his family through thick and thin. Provide emotional support even when his/hers may be troubled. Gives of themselves through good deeds and etc, etc, etc. MTG
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Getting up & going to work, every morning in this;

wink

t
That's worth while!
If ya gotta ask…..
Originally Posted by greydog
I know one guy who, when he was caught by the wrist while working on his swather, spent one night and all the next day caught there; then he amputated his own hand, walked to the house, and called 911. He's tough.
My father-in-law flipped his three wheeled Honda while cruising a timber sale in central Idaho. Broke his leg in three places. He got back on the machine, with his leg propped up on a stick, and rode the two miles back to the landing where he had left his pick-up. Unable to reach anyone on the radio, he drove himself to town. He was tough.
A friend shot a cougar after following it for about eight miles with his bluetick hound. While he was chasing the cat, the temperature started dropping as an arctic front moved in. He was wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans. As he was carrying the cougar out it kept getting colder until the dog wouldn't go any more and just kept digging into the snow. Bill helped the dog dig a good hole into the snowbank and he, the dog, and the dead cougar spent the night together in that hole. In the morning, the wind had quit and it was clear and 31 below zero. He said he didn't know who was stiffer; him or the cat! He walked out that morning, with the 180 pound cat on his shoulder. He's tough.

If he only had had a Jitterbug phone.

I know, “lissen here mister, my cell phone is FOR ME to MAKE calls. I keep it turned off and in my glove compartment on my 75 Scottsdale Camper Special, for when I NEED IT, not for a bunch of them tellymarket yayhoos. I won’t be attached to no durn legtronic dog collar like the rest the fools”
wabigoon is a fugking retard.
Originally Posted by slumlord

A small knife, a lighter, and a wool coat would have been handy too.
Originally Posted by joken2

[quote]

Unbeknownst to his parents, Richard and his mother, Beatrice Rose, shared incompatible blood types (Richard, Rh-Positive; Beatrice, Rh-Negative). This is a dangerous condition that can lead to serious complications for the fetus or even death. Thus, when Richard was born, he was different.

The incompatibilities in the blood caused hormonal imbalances and stunted his growth. When he reached adolescence, Flaherty was small compared to his peers. Flaherty would be considered a dwarf in medical terms, meaning that his height was less than 4’ 10.’’

Short in size he might have been, but short in courage he wasn’t. When the Vietnam War heated up, Flaherty volunteered for the Army. However, he was initially turned down because of his size. It was only after a determined effort, which included the involvement of his local Congressman, that he managed to acquire a waiver.

In 1967, Flaherty attended Army Officer Candidate School (OCS) and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the infantry and assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. He deployed with the Screaming Eagles to Vietnam and served as a platoon and recon platoon leader.

During that 13-month tour to Vietnam, Flaherty received the Silver Star and two Bronze Stars for valor, respectively, the third and second highest award for bravery under fire, and was wounded three times.

His Silver Star citation offers a brief glimpse to Flaherty, the man. The action took place on April 20, 1968, when Flaherty’s platoon was ambushed and came under withering enemy fire.

“Throughout the battle, he repeatedly exposed himself to the hostile fire in order to better direct the suppressive fire of his squads. Lieutenant Flaherty immediately called a 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team to his position after having spotted an enemy bunker position to his front, which was delivering automatic weapons fire on his platoon. Lieutenant Flaherty then personally directed and assisted the 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team in an assault of the enemy bunker, braving up the intense hail of hostile fire. Under Lieutenant Flaherty’s astute direction and leadership, the enemy bunker was swiftly destroyed, enabling his platoon to advance and continue its devastating attack against the enemy.”

After his tour of duty was over, he applied for Special Forces training. But it wasn’t easy. To even attempt Special Forces training, Flaherty had to gain six pounds and get another height waiver.

After successfully graduating the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC), also known as Q course, Flaherty was assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group. He went back to Southeast Asia with the 46th Special Forces Company as a Special Forces Operational Detachment A (SFODA) commander. His ODA was tasked with training the Royal Thai Army in counterinsurgency operations and prepare them for a deployment to Vietnam.

ODA’s are the tactical arm of the Special Forces Regiment. Comprised of 12 Special Forces soldiers, an ODA can operate independently behind enemy lines for long periods of time without supervision.

In 1970, Flaherty was reassigned to the 10th Special Forces Group, where he commanded another ODA and then an Operational Detachment Bravo (ODB), a headquarters element. The following year, 1971, he was discharged from active duty and transferred to the Army Reserves, where he served until 1983.

Flaherty was unfazed by the criticism he continued to receive throughout his life.

In a contemporary interview, he had said that “I’ve taken a lot of kidding about my size. I just tell them I’m 35 pounds of muscle, 14 pounds of dynamite and one pound of uranium-238, and it gets a lot of laughs.”

Flaherty was killed during a hit and run attack on May 9, 2015, in Miami. He had spent his last years alive homeless. In his death, however, he found his home next to the woman he had loved, Lisa Anness Davis.

Former police officer David Yuzuk has written a superb book on Flaherty and his amazing life. You can check it out here.

One of them stories you wouldn't believe if it hadn't actually happened.
A “Tough” woman rolls her own tampons!

I know, “lissen here mister, my cell phone is FOR ME to MAKE calls. I keep it turned off and in my glove compartment on my 75 Scottsdale Camper Special, for when I NEED IT, not for a bunch of them tellymarket yayhoos. I won’t be attached to no durn legtronic dog collar like the rest the fools”

Then you know none of those events occurred prior to cellphones? Or in an area with no cellphone coverage?
Unfortunately, punctuation doesn't count.

From now on I'm officially boycotting any of your thread that have spelling or grammatical errors in the title.
Originally Posted by BulletBud
A “Tough” woman rolls her own tampons!

Broken keyboards, my dog ate it, the retard from church was playing on my computer... NGAF.
Tough is showing up everyday of your life for the things you commit to; family, work, friends and being cheerful about it. I work with some guys that I could whip with one hand that are tough as hell. They show up. Have pain that they suffer through and never bitch about it.
May great uncle pulled his own teeth. He died with 2 left. I think that qualifies.
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
May great uncle pulled his own teeth. He died with 2 left. I think that qualifies.

When it comes to pulling your own teeth, the guy who lives with the toothache is probably tougher.
Originally Posted by kingston

From now on I'm officially boycotting any of your thread that have spelling or grammatical errors in the title.

Need a comma after "on"?

Thread should be threads?

Just asking.
I did my own vasectomy

With the exception of your wife, none of those qualify as "tough"

Everyone possesses basic human survival instinct and that is what every one of those stories entail.

Mental toughness is going forward when you don't want to, and have a choice not to but do it anyway for a myriad of reasons. This trumps the bulkiest baddest guy ever....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
He played himself.

That really is hilarious and crystalizes you John Wayne fans quite well.

Enjoy watching some more TV!
Being tough is like being honest.

It doesn't always pay well in the beginning.
I knocked out a rotten molar with a ladies ice skate.
Tough is putting up with leftist insanity.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
He played himself.

That really is hilarious and crystalizes you John Wayne fans quite well.

Enjoy watching some more TV!

Who did Burt Lancaster play?

What about Charlton Hesston?

Pretty obvious really.

Need a comma after "on"?

Just asking.

I had one there, but took it out. Either way, this is about Wabi's inane threads, not Kingston's punctuation.
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Then you know none of those events occurred prior to cellphones? Or in an area with no cellphone coverage?

He didn’t say.

But this was yet again a chance for me mock SaddleFred Jack and Caribou Jones who say such things.
Blankety blab blab blab dern cell phones.

Need a comma after "on"?

Just asking.

I had one there, but took it out. Either way, this is about Wabi's inane threads, not Kingston's punctuation.

Well...Slum provided the correct answer a while back anyway.
My great grandfather cut his pinky finger off, because it was in the way. (With a razor blade!)
Let’s get back on track

Timmy

That kid was always falling into a well or stepping into a bear trap, etc

Originally Posted by rainshot
Tough is putting up with leftist insanity.

I'm not sure "putting up" with anything but your family is an indication of toughness.
Let’s get back on track

Timmy

That kid was always falling into a well or stepping into a bear trap, etc

Lassie, pushing transgender way before transgender was kool....
Originally Posted by joken2

I've heard of this guy. All I can say is WOW!
Indeed, WOW!
It is the size of the heart.

Toughness told me he uses a tape measure most of the time.
A person can be physically tough but not as mentally tough and vice versa. Tough is a measurement of the ability to resist or overcome.
#resiliency
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My great grandfather cut his pinky finger off, because it was in the way. (With a razor blade!)

Good thing he didn't have a boys bike growing up or you'd a had two Great Grandmas!
It comes down to determination and just how bad you want something. My two kids are a great example. One operates off sheer talent and ability. The other off determination and resolve. One is MUCH tougher than the other.
My dad broke his ankle and walked on it for over 9 month because he could not afford any more medical bill and needed to keep working to feed all of us.
He was a Paint Contractor and carried those 5 gallon buckets full of paint with that broken ankle.
He never let anyone know not a whimper in front of any of us kids

In my opinion that is being Tough.
Many folks fighting cancer.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Does this mean that it pays well in the end?

Is this a God thing?
All I can say is this nation is fooked with the current 20 something work force and beyond and many in there early 30s god help our country

Is this a God thing?

It means that it often hurts at first, but pays off in the end.
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

Is this a God thing?

It means that it often hurts at first, but pays off in the end.

Good, that's what I thought.
People that don’t give up.

Oh no wait, dudes that hide behind computer screens and talk trash. Sarcasm. I had to add the sarcasm because the tough guys wouldn’t get it. LOL
Over coming your basic instinct of fear and keeping it under control as needed.
If you lose fear completely, you become reckless and a danger to others at times.
Not f u c king giving up or quitting in physically or mentally hard situations.
Doing the hard right over the easy wrong, no matter what others think.
I have a buddy who goes on solo backpack hunts in Alaska for 3 to 5 weeks at a time, sometimes walking 30 or more miles from his truck or airstrip to “camp”. Sounds romantic and he always has a blast but I don’t think everyone is cut out to be alone in the bush that long.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Over coming your basic instinct of fear and keeping it under control as needed.
If you lose fear completely, you become reckless and a danger to others at times.
Not f u c king giving up or quitting in physically or mentally hard situations.
Doing the hard right over the easy wrong, no matter what others think.

Good discription .
Kenneth
The toughest man I ever met was my Alaskan Grizzly guide Harley McMahon.
Bush pilot, wolfer, guide, trapper.
He once crashed his Super Cub and walked out of the wilderness with a broken ankle and jaw.
He was about 50 when I hunted with him, I was 36....it was humbling as to his physical and mental toughness in extremeley harsh conditions...his exploits are the stuff of legends.
There is a book written about his father Cleo, that apple didn't fall far from the tree.

If you ever want a fantastic read, that book is amazing.
An Alaskan pioneer.
Polar bear hunting, aerial wolf hunting, trapping, grizzly hunting, sheep hunting....all back when Alaska was a much wilder place.
One of the best books I've read.

[quote=deflave]wabigoon is a fugking retard.

[You'd better look at yourself in the mirror.
Toughness comes from the heart.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The toughest man I ever met was my Alaskan Grizzly guide Harley McMahon.
Bush pilot, wolfer, guide, trapper.
He once crashed his Super Cub and walked out of the wilderness with a broken ankle and jaw.
He was about 50 when I hunted with him, I was 36....it was humbling as to his physical and mental toughness in extremeley harsh conditions...his exploits are the stuff of legends.
There is a book written about his father Cleo, that apple didn't fall far from the tree.

If you ever want a fantastic read, that book is amazing.
An Alaskan pioneer.
Polar bear hunting, aerial wolf hunting, trapping, grizzly hunting, sheep hunting....all back when Alaska was a much wilder place.
One of the best books I've read.

Cool that you hunted with Harley. I visited with him for a few minutes on the lake shore one afternoon when he dropped off a guy he was transporting, seemed like a nice guy. I spent lots of time out around Glenallen and there were lots of cool stories from the older guys about Cleo’s exploits. Used to drive buy his place but never met him.
© 24hourcampfire