Home
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Campfire is that our gang in the SW has been able to cooperate in doing some very good things, and our ongoing summer and winter gatherings have been a very enjoyable outgrowth of that. We meet, camp, eat, shoot a lot, talk about almost everything old and current, and generally enjoy one another. Although held in the SW, quite a number of folks drive long miles – from as far away as Oregon, California, Colorado, Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas.

Recently we had the summer shindig at Armijo Springs up at 8k ft. in the Apache/Gila Nat Forest. It was very successful – great time had by all. In these photos you can see the environs, the camp, many of the regular characters involved – and a couple of excellent newcomers – OSU_Sig (Cliff) from Oklahoma and Miles friend Steve from Arkansas. Various attendees will probably chime in with comments about the event. If you want to know who is who in some of he photos, just ask. (Additional photos to follow)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul, thanks for posting the photos. No kids this time around?
I dunno...pretty suspect lookin' group! smile

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves!
I’m gonna make one of those soon
It looks like a whole lot of fun. I had plans to crash the party this year, come out from NW NV, but I pulled down all my power lines July 1st and had to keep the generators running for a month. So...you all lucked out. grin

I wouldn't change the looks or demographics any. whistle

Great pictures.
Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I’m gonna make one of those soon

I'll meet you in Reno and we can drive down together?

Maybe get a few more of the Cali contingent and make it a..........................

convoy!
C's.

great pics.

What resolution?

I had to play a coupla games of solitaire while they loaded. grin
Some good guys there! smile
Beautiful area there. I'd love to see it in person.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Hello Kevin - this was not an easy summer for those with kids to get to our event - Covid issues and other factors kept those with youngsters from coming.

Valsdad - resolution mixed - came across the net from many cameras at the event.

Whaddya mean, no kids? I was there! grin

It was a great time, just far too short, as usual.

Ed
Ed is on the mark.
That's a lot of good experience and skill in one place.

I regret missing it.
I like the gun rack seen in a couple pics, I want one.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Hello Kevin - this was not an easy summer for those with kids to get to our event - Covid issues and other factors kept those with youngsters from coming.

Valsdad - resolution mixed - came across the net from many cameras at the event.

Just kidding....................sort of.

Not being much of a geek, I can never understand why sometimes folks' pics load quickly, sometimes it takes forever it seems. Sometimes I wonder if it's on my end, certain days and times of day I know our little ISP is more taxed, bandwidth wise, than others. And I'm on the lowest data plan they have.

Keep posting them, I'd rather have them than not.

One day, I may get there to meet you folks. Sure wish the wife's last assignment had been in AZ as we both enjoyed the White Mountains when we lived there at the start of the millenium.
Originally Posted by 673
I like the gun rack seen in a couple pics, I want one.

That is a "Paul (aka CCCC) Special", made from what he called "scrap that he had laying around". In today's lumber market, it's about $150.00 worth of wood. eek grin

It's a great rack, for sure and shows his talents.

Ed
Well, I am pretty much a lone wolf, so have little use for it myself. It is intended for moments when other good folks are gathered to shoot.

We almost always get some downpours up at AS and so we try to keep it dry - but don't always succeed - so it has begun to show some blems from having been wet. When I packed it up this time I was thinking that maybe I will paint it with some good waterproof coating - red for the top/rack, white for the post, and blue for the base.

Thoughts?
Sounds like one heck of an idea.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
That's a lot of good experience and skill GEEZERS in one place.

I regret missing it.

We had a pretty strong geezer quotient this time, with some lovely geezerettes to raise the level of class, but these geezers are outstanding at thinking/discussing/figuring stuff, and did some fine shooting as well.

Roadrunner configured that center pole for the big tarp cover and rigged it firmly with advice/assistance from other engineers on site. Darby, OldmanRandy and Ed2many were well into the food prep - good stuff and with some lady help - and Seafire engineered the sanitation program. Miles peeled some onions, brought a bunch of steaks and George Dickel. Owl brought a lot of beverages and a HAM radio setup. Seemed like everyone pitched in with good equipment, food stuff and good will.
Yep. You need something done correctly, Geezers will get it done. Probably 1,500 years of experience represented at Army Joe this year.

I did notice the center pole under the big tarp and the gun stand.
This was my first gathering but certainly not my last. Even though there were no kids there, my wife and I had our 2 mini daschaunds which created quite a stir. Thanks again to Miles for initial training of what is sure to be a low slung squirrel dog.
I want to say how enjoyable the weekend was and the fire members and their wives made it super special. Thanks to Paul and all those who put it together. We can't wait until the next one.
Originally Posted by CCCC
We had a pretty strong geezer quotient this time, with some lovely geezerettes to raise the level of class, but these geezers are outstanding at thinking/discussing/figuring stuff, and did some fine shooting as well.

Roadrunner configured that center pole for the big tarp cover and rigged it firmly with advice/assistance from other engineers on site. Darby, OldmanRandy and Ed2many were well into the food prep - good stuff and with some lady help - and Seafire engineered the sanitation program. Miles peeled some onions, brought a bunch of steaks and George Dickel. Owl brought a lot of beverages and a HAM radio setup. Seemed like everyone pitched in with good equipment, food stuff and good will.

Paul,

I can only hope I maintain my mind as you have. I miss it every year, as you know, because we are in north Idaho. We drove through evac'ing Idaho wildfires so we were almost there. BTW, if you ever get to selling your blue car PM me please...
Hi Ed - sure wish you could be with us again sometime - would be very good for all involved.

Had not thought about it until your mention, but any mind maintenance now is probably simply a matter of keeping it challenged and engaged. No release bearing.

Yes, the blue scooter probably will become an interesting issue. Got it.
That looks like a lot of fun. I see the forests there are very similar to S CA, with ponderosa and Jeffrey pine, and not a lot of underbrush. Probably some manzanita around.

I hope to go to one of those get together in the next few years.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
That looks like a lot of fun. I see the forests there are very similar to S CA, with ponderosa and Jeffrey pine, and not a lot of underbrush. Probably some manzanita around.

I hope to go to one of those get together in the next few years.

That particular small section of forest you see is pretty good...

But most of the Natl. Forest land in NM is overgrown, under logged, and bark beetle killed. Tinderbox waiting for a spark.

The nation's forests are grossly mismanaged.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
That looks like a lot of fun. I see the forests there are very similar to S CA, with ponderosa and Jeffrey pine, and not a lot of underbrush. Probably some manzanita around. I hope to go to one of those get together in the next few years.
That particular small section of forest you see is pretty good...
But most of the Natl. Forest land in NM is overgrown, under logged, and bark beetle killed. Tinderbox waiting for a spark. The nation's forests are grossly mismanaged.
Barry is right on the mark - that area was "thinned" very nicely a few years ago - local logger contracted by USFS. The FS people are clever - this area has more "visitors" and some nearby residents. There are many large areas nearby that are a mess, as Barry notes.

OO - yes, predominant ponderosa, with juniper and pinion mixed in, and some oak and a bit of aspen nearer water sources. This is at 8k ft. elevation. No manzanita at all.

Hope you get to one of these.
A few more photos in

Deep discussion

Lovely Jo prepping a great stew

Darby's camper

Nap time central

Steve praying for more rain