Home
Posted By: jackmountain Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Truck is for fleet use, F150 crew 4wd, mix of city and highway, maybe 25,000 miles a year. Very little towing. Basically concerned with reliability, maintenance costs etc…. MPG obviously favor the ecoboost and according to the specs so does towing capacity. Which is more likely to make it to 200,000 without major issues?

Anyone have experience with either of those vs the GM 5.3?

Haven’t owned a 1/2 ton in 23 years so not real familiar with what’s durable. I’d buy a tundra if it was for me, but the price difference is stark and it’s for an employee.
I’ve heard good things about the eco boost but have no first hand experience. 25k a year 200k in 8 years I’d expect anything I bought to be reliable over that span with just routine maintenance.

If I wanted reliable and maintenance free as possible I’d get the Toyota. You’ll get more back at resale with the Toyota assuming it isn’t something thats driven into the ground.
Posted By: OGB Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Know multiple people who have had issues with the ecoboost. 5L. V8 is the way to go. Love mine.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I own 3 F-150s
1 is an eco-boost
Not a fan
Not a terrible engine for what you described
But if you will be doing any towing at all go with the 5 liter
I will never buy another eco boost as long as a 5.0 or bigger is an option
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I had a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost, it flew, gas mileage sucked (15 MPG), I have a heavy foot. I traded it in at 115K for a 2018 leftover 2.7 Ecoboost. No mechanical issues with the 2014 or 2018. The 2.7 isn't a slouch either, hope this helps.
I would take an eco boost over the 5.0 The 5.3 is not good for power but pretty dang reliable.
Originally Posted by OGB
Know multiple people who have had issues with the ecoboost. 5L. V8 is the way to go. Love mine.

Originally Posted by Lacy1
I own 3 F-150s
1 is an eco-boost
Not a fan
Not a terrible engine for what you described
But if you will be doing any towing at all go with the 5 liter
I will never buy another eco boost as long as a 5.0 or bigger is an option

Good to hear, found a good deal on a low mileage XLT with a 5.0.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve heard good things about the eco boost but have no first hand experience. 25k a year 200k in 8 years I’d expect anything I bought to be reliable over that span with just routine maintenance.

If I wanted reliable and maintenance free as possible I’d get the Toyota. You’ll get more back at resale with the Toyota assuming it isn’t something thats driven into the ground.

I’m die hard Toyota, but similar Toyota in our area is $7,000-$8,000 more than a comparable Ford. Employee driven so it will be beat to scheit in 7-8 years. Probably in 3-4. Not concerned on resale.
Not that I've owned any turbocharged or supercharged vehicles, but rather I much prefer not to own one...give me cubic inches working easy over small and frantically pumping it out. AFAIAC, a turbo just adds complexity and more schidt to break---in addition to making smaller engine component work harder. No thanks.

I do have a 5.0 F150, and it does everything I ask of it without so much as a sigh...and likely will continue to do so for the next 200,000 miles.
The 5.0 is good motor, it’s been a while since Ford has done that laugh . My wife has a 5.0 mustang, it scoots. I did my research before we bought one, guys do crazy things to those engines and they hold up well.
Ecoboost.

5.0 is a good engine but EB bests it in all numbers at a lower rpm.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Ecoboost.

That may be true, looking at it all as just numbers and on paper. In the real world...maybe not so much.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
A turbo will cost you $7k or more. There are two of them. If an employee is going to thrash it they will be harder on transmissions too.

I asked the service director at a dealership the same question. He said 5.0 hands down for long term use.
Ive got the 5.0 and like it, father in law has the 3.5. I still think I made the right choice, and I tow a 3,000 pound boat at least weekly with it, sometimes over the mountains and sometimes above 80mph. I’ve put 75,000 on it, at 110,000 now. It did lose some mileage when I put a livestock rack on it, and the. Gained some of it back when I took it off.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I bought a new f150 in 2018. Selected 2 on the lot, one with 5.0 and the other with eco boost. Before talking to a salesman i walked into the shop area and asked the shop foreman which was more reliable. He recommended the 5.0, which is what I bought. I've been very satisfied with the 5.0. My accountant has the same f150 except his has the eco boost. He's equally pleased with his truck. I'll get a new f150 in 2022, and I'll get another 5.0 if there still making them. Just a sample of one.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Ecoboost.

That may be true, looking at it all as just numbers and on paper. In the real world...maybe not so much.

I've owned both. EB is what I drive.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by elkmtb
A turbo will cost you $7k or more. There are two of them. If an employee is going to thrash it they will be harder on transmissions too.

I asked the service director at a dealership the same question. He said 5.0 hands down for long term use.

The turbos on the ecoboost cost like $700, not $7000
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by OGB

Same story here.
Appreciate all the input. Going 5.0. Ecoboost. Went and looked at the one with the 5.0, 5 years old and the entire under carriage was rusted bad. Went with a 2017 with 2.7l ecoboost.
Posted By: Farming Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Finally cried uncle on the 2011 3.5 on left with 366,000 and change. Sample of one. It was a good truck. Very quick acceleration, and good power. Probably averaged about 17.5, but when towing the MPG really suffered. It was a low maintenance sorta abused truck that treated me right. No experience with the 5.0 but have friends that have had really good luck with them.

The truck on the right is a 2018 2.7 with 40,000 miles. Still very quick acceleration @ about 21.5 MPG. My gut says this one won’t last nearly as long. These ecoboost engines turn over low RPM at cruise. Probably 1500-1600 RPM and they don’t weigh much which I think helps with engine and chassis wear. Lots of good trucks out there and kinda a crap shoot to how they treat ya.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I have a sample of one. My dad’s eco boost has 180k with only the normal wear and tear issues.
I have a 2015 3.5 and has over 100,000 miles.

It still runs like a top and tows strong.

It does have the sport mode if one was feeling the need to smoke a car at the red light.

I like it.
A turbo will cost you $7k or more. There are two of them.

Turbochargers aren't wear items, it's rare to have to replace one. They're not like brake pads. I've owned several turbocharged vehicles and never had to do anything to the turbochargers. The one I have now has 400,000 miles on it and the turbo has never been touched.

I'm sure someone will chime in with "my uncle's third cousin said he had to replace a turbocharger 10 times" etc. but the fact remains that a properly engineered turbocharger will last longer than the engine or the truck itself. Someone always chimes in with "a turbo costs XXX to replace" when these discussions happen. The chance of having to replace a turbocharger are remote, it's not something I'd concern myself about.
When the echo boost first came out they had problems with the turbos.

They have not had trouble since.

I always hear crap about the turbos going out these days and it all stems from the first year.

It gets old.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Old saying "no replacement for displacement" 5.0
Posted By: 5spd Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I have the 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed, 2018 f150, crewcab, 4wd, not any issues to date besides the seatbelt recall, and radio screen recall.
Interstate I'm getting 19 to 26, average 22mpg, in town 17 to 19.
Little over 50k miles, great truck, glad I choose the 3.5.
It pulls my 12' trailer with polaris ranger like it's not there. Pulling trailer I average 18mpg though.
I have a 36 gal tank, elect locker, tow package, trailer controler, back up assist which I don't use.
Off road it just goes where I point it, but I don't do stupid chit with it.
1 son has a 2015 2.7 ecoboost, the other a 2019 with the 5.0. Neither has had a single problem, the 5.0 does not get the same MPG as the 2.7, or my 3.5 though.
The 5.0 does tow nice.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I have a 2014 F-150 FX4 with a 3.5 ecoboost. I bought it new and it now has 80,000 miles on it. Not one issue so far. Power out the azz.

Ron
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by chris_c
Old saying "no replacement for displacement" 5.0

The new Raptor is eco.

And there's lotsa good reasons why.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
My work truck has the 5.0, it’s spunky and gets over 18 mpg. About 85k without a problem. No experience with the eco boost, but I’m sure impressed with the 5.0
Posted By: Sheister Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
The 5.0 has been a very good engine for Ford for a very long time, but there are no flies on the 3.5 Ecoboost. IIRC, it has a higher hp rating than the base 5.0 and better mpg ratings also. Turbos have one big advantage over naturally aspirated injected motors- turbos give excellent low end torque for towing and off the line acceleration.. and today's turbos are extremely well made. As long as the oil in a modern turbo is maintained and filtered it will last as long as the engine ...

I know at least 3 guys who have or had the 3.5 EB and loved them. If you didn't know which engine was in the trucks, you would swear it was a V8... the 3.5 is the same block and many parts that are used in the new Ford GT....
Posted By: tzone Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I have an eco-boost and love it. 2016, 4x4, super cab. It’s a 2.7l though. Averaging 19.4mpg with mixed driving, not towing. It blows the doors off any 5.4 or 5.3l I’ve had. Not even close. I get 12mpg pulling a 20’, tandem axle, 5000# boat around 4 days a week.

I’d probably get it over a 5.0l for your use. You hear of people on the inter webs that “know someone” with trouble with an eco-boost. They have no experience themselves most of the time. They just read about it. I know, I know, unbelievable on the fire.

Edited to add: I average 30,750 miles/year driving.
Posted By: tzone Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21

Bullschit
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
This may be folklore, but I like to let turbo equipped motors idle for a minute or more to let oil circulate throughout before shutdown.

I Haven’t had any turbo issues with numerous turboDiesels and gas turbos that I’ve operated and owned.

No direct experience to report with ecoBoost.

Mechanics I know are more leery of the Direct Injection aspect , more than the turbo boost.
But they do wok in concer within the design. Heat is the biggest enemy.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
5.0 has water pump failures and acs module failures. Had those issues and apparently they are common with 5.0 f-150s
I ordered a 2021 3.5 power boost hybrid a few months ago. The dealer said it was scheduled to build last week so if all goes well I should have it by the end of the month. It is a hybrid but it's supposed to be faster than the 3.5 ecoboost yet it's rated at 24mpg Town and highway. It's also got a 7.2kwatt generator built in. I hope it actually shows up soon.

Bb
Twin turbos are for play cars. Timing chain issues are not folklore, nor cheap.

Buy what you want, it is your money.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Which is more likely to make it to 200,000 without major issues?

I think that most newer vehicles will make it to 200k, especially without towing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. I'd devote my efforts to other business needs and not brand X vs brand Y.

I have my own brand biases, but if I were buying for my own company I would factor in purchase price and resale over anedoctal reports. And fuel economy, for a fleet, as it can add up. For personal use with one or two trucks, I don't worry about fuel economy.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by 338Rules

Mechanics I know are more leery of the Direct Injection aspect , more than the turbo boost.

Okay, I don't have personal experience with these other than a neighbor that has an earlier 3.5 and as far as I know he hasn't had any trouble and loves his truck. However, I like motors and like reading about them, looking at stuff online, shooting the breeze with my mechanic, etc.

IIRC, the potential problem with the earlier ones was carbon buildup on the valves due to the DI. Its likely sort of the same problem the early FICHT Evinrude outboards had when they went to DI. I understand Ford has corrected the problem by going to port and direct injection as has Toyota and likely GM. Port injection "washes" the intake valves with fuel but they still have the DI for performance and economy.

If I had to guess I'd say short tripping an older Ecoboost probably exacerbates this issue. They were built for performance, not to putter around the corner to the store and pick up some groceries. Same as those old Evinrude motors. They were built to haul ass and people were blowing them up trolling.

Also I understand that you need to do oil changes on a DI motor more often than manufacturers recommend because of potential fuel dilution. Manufacturers tell you to do an OC every 10k miles so they can sell you on low maintenance cost. If I had one I would go back to the old standard of an OC every 3 to 5k miles.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Ecoboost.

I've owned both. EB is what I drive.

Same here. 3.5 is my preference, followed by the 2.7, then the 5.0. The 5.0 is good for noise and a bit better at engine braking. That’s all IME.
A turbo will cost you $7k or more.

Only on the campfire. SMH
I don't think it was mentioned or I missed it, the eco boost would provide an advantage for high altitude driving situations due to the mechanics of the turbo. Not a requirement for the op but may be of interest for some.

For towing, the EB produces its max torque at something like 2600 rpm. The 5.0 torque numbers are similar, but occur over 5K rpm. For towing, the EB shines.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Bought a new 2011 F150 with the 3.5 eco, first year they offered it. Drove it 7.5 years, had 147K miles when I traded in. No problems of any kind. Driving a 2019 F150 with the 3.5 now, only 21K miles so far but it’s humming along no issues.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Put 8500mi on my 2020 3.5Eco 4x4 so far. Liking the smooth torque and it’s averaged 20.8mpg. Dad has a 14 model 5.0 and the engine/trans have been great at 260k miles. I’d go 2.7 Eco for a work truck.
Posted By: ERK Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I tried out a new 2017 with the 5.0 engine. When you floored it not much happened but it made a lot of noise. My bud has had a couple of the Eb and they are way stronger down low and for him good dependability. Ed
Posted By: Higginez Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Just had a major repair on our 2017 Eco boost at 84k. Made an awful noise on cold start for 2-3 seconds that sounded like it was gonna come apart. Out of warranty and was looking at $3,500 repair. Dealership got Ford to kick down and it only cost $1,400.

Cam phasers, actuators and timing chain.

Runs like new again and I love the performance but cam phaser issues on cold starts is a thing. Mine showed up after the 60k warranty was up.
Posted By: victoro Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I know a few people who have or have had Fords with the ecoboost engine but don't know anybody who has put a lot of miles on one. I recently found out from watching this you tube video that the water pump is inside the timing chain cover and would require major disassembly to replace it. The worst part is when the water pump starts leaking you will quickly have water in your oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3cjU3o0G4&t=1397s

Video is from the YouTube channel "I Do Cars"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgzJHvOhLert9g2yT-09RMQ
Posted By: victoro Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
Just had a major repair on our 2017 Eco boost at 84k. Made an awful noise on cold start for 2-3 seconds that sounded like it was gonna come apart. Out of warranty and was looking at $3,500 repair. Dealership got Ford to kick down and it only cost $1,400.

Cam phasers, actuators and timing chain.

Runs like new again and I love the performance but cam phaser issues on cold starts is a thing. Mine showed up after the 60k warranty was up.

I hope they replaced the water pump while they had the timing chains off.
I called them just now and told them some guy on the internet said there is a video on water pumps that says they should have replaced it while they were in there.

Scheduled for Tuesday.
I called them just now and told them some guy on the internet said there is a video on water pumps that says they should have replaced it while they were in there.

Scheduled for Tuesday.

LMAO
Totaled my 2012 Tundra last spring. Loved the truck but the fuel economy sucked. Went looking for a used truck and ended up buying a 2020 5.0 with 13,000 miles. Has almost 30,000 miles on it now, I like it, glad I went that way. Fuel economy is much better than the Toyota. I like the 10 speed transmission too.

Scheduled for Tuesday.

LMAO

Fuggin aspergers man....
We have a 2014 3.5 4x4 crewcab 6.5 wheel base and love it. We pulled an 11,000lb trailer for 4 years and MPG was around 15. It would pull that trailer over Snoqualmie Pass at 60+ with passing to spare. We get 16+ MPG around town and 20+ back and forth from North Idaho to Oregon. I need a PU and this is best of all I've had in 50+ years of driving. Hauls all my stuff and goes anywhere reasonable. 65k miles with only oil changes before I added brakes, suspension, and wheels all of which I wanted but didn't absolutely need.
Posted By: scoony Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21
I had a 2011 with the 5.0. No issues. I now have a 2016 with the 3.5 ecoboost. No problems. I am getting 18 mpg on the highway and 16-17 around town.

Son has a 2012 ecoboost he bought new. Towed 9000 lbs across the states twice with no issues towing except fuel economy which is to be expected when towing. His truck is up there in milage. Only issue he ever had was major hail damage. Insurance company totaled it and paid him out. He turned around and bought is back from the insurance company for cheap. Paid for the necessary repairs and is still driving it.
Any info on 2.7l as opposed to the 3.5l ecoboost?
Posted By: cfran Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/14/21

If pulling isn’t a major priority I’d go 2.7 and save the coin and future gas costs. And that’s coming from a guy who has a 3.5, and I do love it. But also pull 4K-5k regularly.
Depends on what year the 5.0 was made. Ford made a change to the cylinder liners I believe after 2017 and they are sprayed on instead of being a regular cast iron liner.

I know of someone that had a newer 2019 and the engine cylinders were scored after 19k. I don't know if he took care of it or not.
Jack I've got a 2016 5.0l v8 in my F-150 with 68k on it no problems so far
16's had the 6 spd auto newer ones have the 10 spd. One of the more over looked items is getting the right gear ratio
My truck was equipped with 3.73 ratio which is good for pulling my boats or travel trailer without beating the piss out of the tranny or engine. The other day I had it serviced and and one of their sales turds tried to get me to trade it in and I asked him why I'd do that? He said he'd damn near give me what I paid for it on trade. Right, I told him when he could come up with a new F-150 with all the options mine had in a XLT metallic green or copper colored with a dual turbo 5.0 liter v-8 I would trade. Well he says they don't make them like that and I replied no sh*t Sherlock get them straighten out and I' ll buy. Good luck. Mb

Never owned either, but drove a company truck with 2.7 and the MPG around town was 21+. It was a standard cab and 2WD, but I was impressed with the fuel economy. Never drove it on the highway though.
Small engines are small engine, boost or no boost; 5.0L w/o a 2nd thought.

MM
Posted By: scbigben Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21

I bought a 2015 F-150 new with the 2.7 EcoBoost. I have 128,000 miles on it and the only thing I have done to it is brakes, tires and a purge valve that was a $60 part and self install. Last year I trailered my boat from SC to Islamarada which was a 24 hour round trip run. Boat is around 5000 lbs loaded and the truck had 103,000 miles on it when I left SC. The 2.7 has plenty of power as long as you are within the tow ratings.
The 3.5 power boost I ordered worried me a bit with all the new hybrid tech so I ordered it through a dealer that gives you a lifetime unlimited miles warranty with it. Even though it's the hybrid it's 430 horse and 570 pounds of torque with 24 mpg. If it all works out it should be a good truck.

I ordered a loaded lariat. I got pretty much everything I could and still get a bench front seat. I just hope it shows up soon. Build date was scheduled for August 2nd I just hope it isn't parked in a lot waiting for chips.

Bb
Posted By: erickg Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
How bout in a mustang? any thoughts on which is the better option?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
The 3.5 power boost I ordered worried me a bit with all the new hybrid tech so I ordered it through a dealer that gives you a lifetime unlimited miles warranty with it. Even though it's the hybrid it's 430 horse and 570 pounds of torque with 24 mpg. If it all works out it should be a good truck.

When it shows, I'd love to hear thoughts on it.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
I have zero complaints with a 2014 3.5 EB. Only work I've done is brakes, oil, and tires. Hasn't been in the shop once

Tow a ~6k boat and a ~4k trailer ..zero issues and power to pass...even on the up hill

Nobody ever seems to talk gears, but it matters more than a little. I opted for the 3.73 which granted the highest tow rating for that year. Managed 14.5 average on a round trip rom CA to yellowstone, glacier, etc towing the travel trailer.

Lowest is 12 with the boat and hills, highest is 24.5 driving solo and going slow and easy.
As far as the eco boost engines go, is there an oil preference for these engines?
We run 5 ecoboosts and will buy a 6th this fall. 3 are delivery vehicles and 2 personal/work rigs. I drive a 2019 expedition and average 20-21 on multi state trips. No regrets.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
I had a 2014, 5.0 F150 crew cab with 4x4 and tow package. It was a nice truck. Drove good and pulled ok. I got about 18mpg avg. mileage. I got a whole lot less when towing. You know there's something back there. I traded for a 2018 3.5 EB and it's been good. I get about 2mpg better or possibly a little more with it. Same configuration. It doesn't two any better but as yet I haven't towed as much with it as I did the other one. We moved to east Texas and I moved my entire shop. The 15' lathe and Shaper were the heaviest things and that's what I base my towing on.

Haven't had any trouble out of the 3.5 EB. When I decide to pass someone I don't fart around. Sorta head first. I go ahead and get around because I don't want to waste any more time in the other lane than necessary. They both were good trucks and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I will say that for towing they are what they are. They aren't going to beat a diesel and weren't designed to. Going to go pick up a small horizontal mill next week but it doesn't weigh that much. Probably 1K lb. but the 16' trailer does have a lot of drag. I don't expect to get great gas mileage.

As usual results will vary with all trucks. Good luck. Oh I had the stupid kill/start Obama feature off. Nobody is going to convince me that it doesn't wear out starters.
2011 5.0l
3.55:1 gears
175000 miles
Oil, tires, brakes, shocks, spark plugs at 156000 because I guilted myself into doing it.
Flawless.
I tow a 6000lb+ travel trailer and a car hauler for my tractor and logs for my sawmill that can go 8000lbs. about 3500 miles a year.
It’s a double overhead cam w/variable cam timing , so it’s not a low end torque monster like the Ecoboost turbo motors, it’s a free revving V-8. Let it rev and the transmission does it’s thing.
Since retiring I have given up on maintaining my vehicles. A family friend does mine, he’s a mechanic at a good sized auto repair shop and has a two post lift in his pole barn. His observations about 3.5 Ecoboost vs 5.0 Coyote V-8 are that the 3.5 has/had a bad tendency to break timing chains. That and a few other issues make him recommend the 5.0l. What goes wrong with the 5.0l?
“I don’t rightly know, we don’t see them come in for motor issues”
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by 338Rules
This may be folklore, but I like to let turbo equipped motors idle for a minute or more to let oil circulate throughout before shutdown.

I Haven’t had any turbo issues with numerous turboDiesels and gas turbos that I’ve operated and owned.

That's my understanding and experience w/a couple of diesel pickups and just under 300K Mi between the 2 of them over 12yrs. I was taught to "let the bearings cool" on the turbo w/60-120sec of idling before shutdown by a buddy who owns a very busy heavy truck service shop and a 2nd friend who ran a Cummins shop for over a decade.

IMO, I could personally get either one to 200K Mi without issue assuming all was good-to-go from the factory. If I were buying for an employee who's not on the hook for any of the paint/repair $$, I'd go the non-turbo route.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by erickg
How bout in a mustang? any thoughts on which is the better option?

Drove a 10spd EB 4cyl mustang not long ago. Was certainly capable enough for daily driving, stronger than your average sports sedan (Maxima, Accord, etc). The Coyote is something altogether different. Miss the one I had. The 4k to 7k rev-out and the sounds made that car.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by jmd025

The turbos on the ecoboost cost like $700, not $7000

Add labor and get back to me. My Mazda single turbo on 1999 was going to cost $5k.

Used to be turbos went out at 100k miles like clockwork. I understand they are much better now. Still no way I would put employee in a 3.5 eco boost unless it was job related heavy towing.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Depends on what year the 5.0 was made. Ford made a change to the cylinder liners I believe after 2017 and they are sprayed on instead of being a regular cast iron liner.

I read about that. Can't swear to it but I think it was newer than 17, more like last year or the one before.

This may be the article but if not the gist is the same. Sounds both crazy and amazing but I guess it works.

https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-engine-technology-good-enough-for-the-nissan-g-5467038

EDIT: IT was for the 2018 model year so you are close enough. Time flies.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ford-finishes-f-150-powertrain-makeover
A turbo will cost you $7k or more. There are two of them.

Add labor and get back to me.

Get back to you? Ok, but you said “a turbo” will cost $7k or more. As stated, no part of a turbo or replacement will cost $7000. Not sure where you’re getting this information. Who was asking about a turbo replacement on a Mazda anyway? I’ve been running at least one set of the subject matter twin turbos for nearly a decade. Never had a single hiccup but was quoted under $2500 for parts and labor by the dealership for a replacement after I bought my first eco. I’d likely just do it myself should the need arise.

At 160k miles on one F150. I’ll get back to you when I have a turbo failure on any.
2019 5.0 has 50k with no problems more than enough hp at 20 mpg with a 10 speed.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/16/21
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/16/21
Don't need my underhood running red hot for a milk run.

There's no replacement for displacement.
Posted By: Teal Re: Ford 3.5 eco boost vs 5.0 - 08/16/21
Never got close to a 7k turbo replacement when I was running a shop that was doing Acerts - that's a 15l CAT motor and it wasn't anywhere near 7k.

If you spend 7k on an eco boost turbski - you did it wrong. Hell, 7k in turbo/tune probably puts you closer to a drag car set up - Cletus McFarland style.
Someone posted this a while back.

This is obviously the first gen EB, since srticle is from 2011.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/...ture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html
© 24hourcampfire