Home
Posted By: Beaver10 How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Wifey did some tuna fishing for the first time with her brother yesterday. They caught a few.

Canning seems like a natural progression, since this Charlie Tuna thing will happen several times a year.

What do I need to buy to commence operation Canned Tuna ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

PS

I did get a few ideas on seasoning to put in the canned tuna - Tyme, jalapeños, garlic, etc.

🦫
Posted By: SandBilly Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
So many things have ran through my head, I will refrain from responding for now.

You’re welcome.
Posted By: ribka Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
II do a yearly albacore trip off of the coast

slice of jalapeño, pinch of koser salt, fresh black pepper, tarragon splash of good olive oil
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly
So many things have ran through my head, I will refrain from responding for now.

You’re welcome.

Ahh, come on brother, don’t make me feel like that drunk, ugly chick at a kegger who can’t get laid or a ride home.

You can spill your guts on any thread of mine.

😝🦫
Posted By: SandBilly Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

You’re welcome.

Ahh, come on brother, don’t make me feel like that drunk, ugly chick at a kegger who can’t get laid or a ride home.

😝🦫

Nope, I’m not going there. I will say If I was at that party, that drunk, ugly chick would get a ride home....
Originally Posted by ribka

slice of jalapeño, pinch of loser salt, fresh black pepper, tarragon splash of good olive oil

Thanks, I’ll probably try a few versions of seasonings.

I’m really looking for what cooking items, canning tools, etc, that I will need.

I already have a badass vacuum sealer that I use for fish and game. Need pressure cooker ?

🦫

You’re welcome.

😝🦫

Nope, I’m not going there. I will say If I was at that party, that drunk, ugly chick would get a ride home....

You have a few redeeming qualities...Like me, just a few.

👍🏼🦫
Where’s all our Prepper dudes who have 10,000 pounds or rice and beans squirreled away next to a cache of AK-47’s ?

I need a canning apparatus thingy-ma-jig I’m figuring.

🦫
Posted By: slumlord Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Judman homecans tuna.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Judman homecans tuna.

Huh...He’d give probably me a recipe for botulism.

LOL

🦫
I got this figured out.

I have a gallon of soy sauce, a tube of wasabi, and some fresh ginger.

Beave is gonna open a sushi bar !

🦫
Posted By: ribka Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21

slice of jalapeño, pinch of loser salt, fresh black pepper, tarragon splash of good olive oil

I’m really looking for what cooking items, canning tools, etc, that I will need.

I already have a badass vacuum sealer that I use for fish and game. Need pressure cooker ?

🦫

yep get a ball pressure canner. suggest do outside on a propane cooker
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Never canned it myself, but the best I've had was smoked first, then canned.

Reminds me, I think I have a jar of smoked yellowfin in the pantry that the neighbor gave me.

mmmnn? Lunch tomorrow???

Good luck Beav, and I'd personally smoke a bunch of that before using that vacuum sealer too.

And yep, like our Japanese friend k_g, I'd be eating a bunch of it the way God made it. Looking at those on the ground and the dog there reminds me of many memorable times in front of the smoker when I lived in Humboldt, the dog and I eating trimmings as I cleaned and loined some I got from the commercial docks.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Never canned it myself, but the best I've had was smoked first, then canned.

Reminds me, I think I have a jar of smoked yellowfin in the pantry that the neighbor gave me.

mmmnn? Lunch tomorrow???

Good luck Beav, and I'd personally smoke a bunch of that before using that vacuum sealer too.

And yep, like our Japanese friend k_g, I'd be eating a bunch of it the way God made it. Looking at those on the ground and the dog there reminds me of many memorable times in front of the smoker when I lived in Humboldt, the dog and I eating trimmings as I cleaned and loined some I got from the commercial docks.

Ahh the good ol days down at the Wet Market 😃
Almost buddy, almost.

I could never get it all on the smoker without eating slice after slice as I was trimming it.

The dog loved it too.

Sometimes was tempted to stop on the 20 mile drive home and get a few slices off for the drive.
Do it like we do our salmon. Use glass jars (pint large mouth jars) cut your tuna in 1" strips and fill the jars to the neck, about 3/4" from the top. Put in a teaspoon of Catalina french dressing (it has all the salt you'll need). Pressure can it for 100 minutes at between 10 to 15 lbs pressure. I usually run it at 12 lbs. If the pressure drops below 10 psi, you'll need to start over but it's very easy to keep the pressure up. This will give you a supply of fish that will last for many years. We are still eating fish that was canned in 2012. Let me know if you need more information. Send me a PM.
BTW, you should be able to can 14 jars per batch depending on the size of your canner.
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
Do it like we do our salmon. Use glass jars (pint large mouth jars) cut your tuna in 1" strips and fill the jars to the neck, about 3/4" from the top. Put in a teaspoon of Catalina french dressing (it has all the salt you'll need). Pressure can it for 100 minutes at between 10 to 15 lbs pressure. I usually run it at 12 lbs. If the pressure drops below 10 psi, you'll need to start over but it's very easy to keep the pressure up. This will give you a supply of fish that will last for many years. We are still eating fish that was canned in 2012. Let me know if you need more information. Send me a PM.

Perfect.

Thank you !

🦫
Posted By: 12344mag Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Sorry Charlie, I don't know anything about it.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
You need to precook the tuna before jarring it and pressure canning. A pinch or two of canning salt in the jars before filling them with fish.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Pretty much like DougAK says. Been canning albacore for 50 years. We avoid adding 'flavors'. Salt of course. Every minute you spend pulling veins, discolored spots etc will pay off in a beautiful product that tastes like no canned tuna you have ever had. We finish off the top of every packed jar with a strip of tuna bellies...the rich fatty belly provides natural fish oil, packed with nutrition. One little tip that many older folks do, get a large container, fill it with ice water (avoid city water with chlorine) and pack your trimmed tuna chunks directly from the ice water into the jars. I don't know how it does it or why it does it, but the finished product is wonderful. Maybe it locks in more of the natural oil in the tissue, I don't know, but it works.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Beaver do yourself a favor and buy a 10 lb pressure weight as the canners come with a 15 lb weight. Your pressure is your temperature and if you’re canning under 1000 feet in elevation I run 10 to11 pounds for 100 minutes. If you use the 15 lb weight you really have to babysit it where as the other rocker will make it a lot easier for about 10 bucks. I can mine in half pints and pints and use canning salt at 1 level tsp per pint (1/2 tsp) for 1/2 pints in the bottom of the jar as it’s easy to get it to salty. Remove all of the bloodline and any veins you can and your end product will be a lot better. You can add a lot of different stuff to it but besides plain salt but my favorite is 2 rings of jalapeño in the bottom of the jar and a piece of thick cut bacon in the top and bottom of the jar. Pack your tuna tight and leave 3/4 to 1” of headspace. Sanitize your jars and pack and when packed clean the rim of the jars good. I heat the lids in lightly boiling water for a couple of minutes but some don’t. They make a small magnet for getting them out of the water that’s really slick. When putting the rings on I just run the rings down until they hit and just snug them up. A couple of tbs of white vinegar in the canner helps keep it clean. I also have extra plates for each canner to go between the layers of the jars so you can double stack your jars and save a lot of time.
Posted By: longarm Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Simpler is better. Pint wide mouth jars, tuna cut to fit in jar with half inch left on top. No spices or flavoring. Pinch of salt. Then lid and follow direction on the canner. Best you will ever have.

I like the idea of a small strip of belly on top, will try that.
I like mine in the sunflower oil, makes the miracle whip go farther

The sav-a-lot brand, .59cent

Can’t beat that. Cheaper than Friskies too.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by stevelyn
You need to precook the tuna before jarring it and pressure canning. A pinch or two of canning salt in the jars before filling them with fish.

This is incorrect. You do not need to pre-cook the tuna. We pressure can it all the time. Cut into chunks 1 inch or smaller, pack tight in the jars, you don't want any air inbetween the chunks. Leave proper head space. I think we put in 1/4 tsp of salt. Follow procedure in Ball Blue Book for canning for bringing canner up to pressure and processing. I haven't tried smoking then canning but I will with the next batch we do.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21

I already have a badass vacuum sealer that I use for fish and game. Need pressure cooker ?[/url]

🦫
YES. A regular water bath canner will kill the bad stuff but not everything. Acids in the food will keep the stuff from spoiling. A pressure cooker will kill everything which is required for low acid stuff like meat, fish, and veggies like beans or carrots. We're at a higher elevation. I get it up to 15lb for 90 minutes. That kills spores, etc. At lower elevations, you can do it at 10lb.
The bad stuff not killed in a "cold pack" water bath canner as RC refers to. That which will grow in an anaerobic low acid environment, ie canned peas, beans, peppers, corn, meat, fish, and poultry, is botulism. And it will kill you and everyone who gets a taste deader than hell.

Get the proper pressure cooker as advised above and the accompanying "Ball" canning guide. Follow all temp/time/pressure instructions carefully.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Ball-Book-Canning-Preserving/dp/0848746783
or
https://www.healthycanning.com/ball-blue-book
Posted By: BobBrown Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Just cram Old Toot into a canning jar
Posted By: Judman Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Judman homecans tuna.

LOL

🦫

Oh stop it! Camp chef and a pressure cooker or 2, and do it outside!!
Originally Posted by Boogan1
Originally Posted by stevelyn

This is incorrect. You do not need to pre-cook the tuna. We pressure can it all the time. Cut into chunks 1 inch or smaller, pack tight in the jars, you don't want any air inbetween the chunks. Leave proper head space. I think we put in 1/4 tsp of salt. Follow procedure in Ball Blue Book for canning for bringing canner up to pressure and processing. I haven't tried smoking then canning but I will with the next batch we do.

Correct, pack jars raw. 👍
Originally Posted by Judman
Judman homecans tuna.

LOL

🦫

Oh stop it! Camp chef and a pressure cooker or 2, and do it outside!!

Hahaha 😝

🦫
I’ve added everything mentioned thus far, add a healthy squirt of this, damn good. 👍

Posted By: 1minute Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Large pressure cooker, pint jars, and lids.
The “setup”.

Sweet

👍🏼🦫
Posted By: stxhunter Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
I Got a 25qt All American pressure cooker might need to try this myself.
The “setup”.

Judman has it nailed for the setup.

Pack raw tuna in jars, leave about 1/2" headspace.
Wipe rims clean.
Put on new lids, screw bands on finger tight.
Put about 3" of water and a squirt of lemon juice in the canner. Lemon juice is not critical, but helps with clean-up.
Bring up to temp, and leave the rocker off until a full head of steam is coming out. This eliminates cold spots and helps reduce jar breakage.
Once you put the rocker on, wait until the pressure relief valve seats all the way up.
Now start timing, 100 minutes.
After 100 uninterrupted minutes, turn off flame and let it cool naturally until the pressure relief valve goes down before you unseal the lid. Again, this helps prevent jar breakage.

I usually use just a pinch of non-iodized salt. ( Don't use iodized unless you like metallic flavored product.)
Try various additions - Catalina Dressing is good as someone else mentioned. A single jalapeno, or garlic clove. Maybe a little liquid smoke.

But most of my salmon, tuna, and occasionally halibut is just raw fish and salt.

Make sure you get all of the blood meat off (dark red stuff). It's so nasty the neighborhood cats won't even touch it. Sure makes good halibut and crab bait though, so don;'t discard it.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
The “setup”.

Judman has it nailed for the setup.

Pack raw tuna in jars, leave about 1/2" headspace.
Wipe rims clean.
Put on new lids, screw bands on finger tight.
Put about 3" of water and a squirt of lemon juice in the canner. Lemon juice is not critical, but helps with clean-up.
Bring up to temp, and leave the rocker off until a full head of steam is coming out. This eliminates cold spots and helps reduce jar breakage.
Once you put the rocker on, wait until the pressure relief valve seats all the way up.
Now start timing, 100 minutes.
After 100 uninterrupted minutes, turn off flame and let it cool naturally until the pressure relief valve goes down before you unseal the lid. Again, this helps prevent jar breakage.

I usually use just a pinch of non-iodized salt. ( Don't use iodized unless you like metallic flavored product.)
Try various additions - Catalina Dressing is good as someone else mentioned. A single jalapeno, or garlic clove. Maybe a little liquid smoke.

But most of my salmon, tuna, and occasionally halibut is just raw fish and salt.

Make sure you get all of the blood meat off (dark red stuff). It's so nasty the neighborhood cats won't even touch it. Sure makes good halibut and crab bait though, so don;'t discard it.

👍 solid advice. You’ll feed store bought tuna to the cats, after you can your own 😂
Posted By: NM_ElkNut Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The bad stuff not killed in a "cold pack" water bath canner as RC refers to. That which will grow in an anaerobic low acid environment, ie canned peas, beans, peppers, corn, meat, fish, and poultry, is botulism. And it will kill you and everyone who gets a taste deader than hell.

Get the proper pressure cooker as advised above and the accompanying "Ball" canning guide. Follow all temp/time/pressure instructions carefully.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Ball-Book-Canning-Preserving/dp/0848746783
or
https://www.healthycanning.com/ball-blue-book

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html
Originally Posted by longarm
Simpler is better. Pint wide mouth jars, tuna cut to fit in jar with half inch left on top. No spices or flavoring. Pinch of salt. Then lid and follow direction on the canner. Best you will ever have.

Odds are, were I doing it, the belly would never make it to the jar.....................especially if smoked first!

Odds are, were I doing it, the belly would never make it to the jar.....................especially if smoked first!

G, I’d have to hide the tuna bellies from you. They make excellent salmon bait. Tip a lure with a piece and fish-on !

🦫
I really appreciate all the canning information. I shared it wifey and my BIL today.

Pressure cookers are en route. Canning starts on Labor Day Weekend.

I’m gonna smoke up a few chunks, then can it also.

Thanks, again for all the suggestions.

🦫
Posted By: Vek Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
If doing this outside, manage the wind to manage the heat. You'll need windscreen or shelter if windy.

KISS works for salmon or tuna...chunked as above, add some belly meat and a tsp of salt. I like the the idea of olive oil and other mild seasonings but haven't tried that.

Next time you shoot a critter, can the shanks in the same way for good soup meat, or to warm up and put on a Club cracker. Salty and good. My kids loved it when they were toddlers.

Oldest home-canned meat I've eaten was 8 years along and it was fine.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/16/21
Beaver10:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that the rest of the day is going as well as having that bounty of tuna!

I found this video which perhaps one of the fish canning guys can comment on, as I've never canned fish.

Deer we have and that we brown first, but I've never heard of anyone doing that with fish.

We don't like it too hot, so no jalapenos for us, but we do throw garlic into each jar of deer meat.

Find out what the weight for your elevation is - the other chap from Oregon is likely correct, but this is just to clarify it's elevation dependent.

Do not rush taking them out - let them cool down on their own..... Buddy couldn't wait on a big batch of pint jars of deer meat and wrecked the whole batch when he opened it early. He said there was broken glass and deer meat everywhere in the pressure canner.

Our made in the USA Mirro brand canner came with a decent recipe book and a weight that can be set for different settings - looks like 5 - 10 - 15 lb when I look at it now.

If I had to do a bunch, I might invest in a magnet to pick up the metal sealing tops as that means no contamination.

We're super religious about cleaning the jar mouths and the sealer lids before putting it on.

We found out the hard way you can add more salt later, but taking it out is not really a thing.

Lastly as mentioned by another poster canned food lasts and lasts. I found some canned deer from 2011 or 2012 this spring and it was fine - well I'm still here and it tasted fine to me.

Hope that was useful and also hope the video isn't too far off the mark.

Good luck and all the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21

G, I’d have to hide the tuna bellies from you. They make excellent salmon bait. Tip a lure with a piece and fish-on !

🦫

What a waste of good, make that great tasting fish.

Of course, where that fatty tuna is, that's where all the mercury and scheidt gets concentrated.

YeeHaw!
Posted By: slumlord Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
... BARF

lol
... BARF

lol

Tuna bellies,

Salmon bellies

Trout bellies

yum!
Posted By: Steve Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
I really like canned smoked salmon, each jar getting a couple slices of jalapeno. I haven't tried it but have read that albacore is good that way, too. Don't need a whole lot of smoke.
Posted By: Morewood Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Posted By: slumlord Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
... BARF

lol

Tuna bellies,

Salmon bellies

Trout bellies

yum!

Pork bellies
Yes
Posted By: Nestucca Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by Steve
I really like canned smoked salmon, each jar getting a couple slices of jalapeno. I haven't tried it but have read that albacore is good that way, too. Don't need a whole lot of smoke.

A thick cut chunk of bacon top and bottom adds just a little bit of smoke to go with the jalapeño
Posted By: Judman Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21

🦫

Of course, where that fatty tuna is, that's where all the mercury and scheidt gets concentrated.

YeeHaw!

Agreed, bellies go on the Q, catch salmon on herring or stuff your brads with cheap oil tuna. 👍
Posted By: ironbender Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Check with furballs. He claims to plow tuna at night.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
I expect a jar mailed to Texas, given my expert advice and pointing you in the right direction. PM me for address.
Shipping is on you, make it happen.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21

Absolutely! Any dude who would give my ugly sister a ride home, gets a jar of tuna for the effort.

PM your digits...Canning over Labor Day.

🦫

PS

You want anything extra special added to your tuna ? 🤔

Absolutely! Any dude who would give my ugly sister a ride home, gets a jar of tuna for the effort.

🦫

PS

No, just ask your sister to shave her mustache. We square.

🦫

PS

She won’t do it..It covers her cleft lip.

😝🦫

🦫

PS

😝🦫

[bleep] you and your tuna. Cock tease

🦫

PS

😝🦫

[bleep] you and your tuna. Cock tease

Easy bro...I know you love a good tuna gash as much as the next perv....I’ll figure something out...Maybe some tuna oil panties will work.

🦫

🦫

YeeHaw!

Agreed, bellies go on the Q, catch salmon on herring or stuff your brads with cheap oil tuna. 👍

BINGO! ^^^^^
Posted By: deflave Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?

Paul;
Top of the morning sir, hope you're well.

Indeed it does.

Deflave, blink 4 times if you're being held against your will.

Concerned in Canada.

Dwayne
Posted By: renegade50 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Haddock, Brook Trout.

Bout the only fish fit for human consumption.

(This oughta get good)

LOL!!!
🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄
Posted By: scrooster Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Where’s all our Prepper dudes who have 10,000 pounds or rice and beans squirreled away next to a cache of AK-47’s ?

I need a canning apparatus thingy-ma-jig I’m figuring.

We lost all of that stuff in a boating accident that happened on the way back from a tuna fishing expedition.

There are tons of tuna canning videos and tuna canning blogs out there .... although, being an avid tuna fisherman and coastal dweller I would highly recommend you also try pickling one or two of those for long term storage and the vinegar actually cooks the fish in the process.

I'd vacuum pack some, smoke some, can some.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
laugh
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Here is another tip I found when canning tuna. We can a lot of deer meat also and know from that experience that the canning process will completely soften any tendons or silver skin making it very tender. I mainly cut up the tail sections of the tuna where all the white lines are and the canning process makes it all edible.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by renegade50

(This oughta get good)

LOL!!!
🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄

ling, redsnapper, wahoo
Posted By: Raeford Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
You can Tune a piano but you can't Tuna fish.....

All the help I have to offer.
Posted By: deflave Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?

Paul;

Indeed it does.

Concerned in Canada.

Dwayne

Dwayne!

How do I count to four in metric!

Thanks!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?

Paul;

Indeed it does.

Concerned in Canada.

Dwayne

Dwayne!

How do I count to four in metric!

Thanks!

deflave;
Okay sir, I know it's you again and all is well in the sunny south.

You had brother Paul and I worried there for a bit.

Thanks for the encoded reply and I hope you all have a fine day.

Dwayne
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?

Beaver10?

Campfire member?

Directions?

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by renegade50

(This oughta get good)

LOL!!!
🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄

ling, redsnapper, wahoo

You two have failed, somehow, to mention my favorite fish............................

the one that's on my plate.
Originally Posted by Raeford
You can Tune a piano but you can't Tuna fish.....

All the help I have to offer.

This mention of a piano reminds me this thread needs some music:

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: How to “Can” Tuna ? - 08/18/21
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

This seems odd, no ?

Beaver10?

Campfire member?

Directions?

laugh laugh laugh

Pffft...Beaver’s got this.

🦫
Buy a pressure canner.

Read the directions.

Kinda like golf. Just read the damn directions, no need for a discussion.

Step 1. Walk up to the ball.
Step 2: Address the ball. "Hello, ball."
Step 3. Hit the damn thing.

whistle
© 24hourcampfire