Home
Posted By: dale06 Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Need a shop vac for cleaning car interiors and just routine stuff in garage.
Any brand that’s better or to avoid?
Thanks
Posted By: slumlord Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
They all suck
I have a rigid currently going on 20 years old.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
I have a craftsman 10 gal from 35+ years suck anything. Newer 3 gal stanley sucks almost as much in a more convenient size
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
This thread Sucks!
Rigid is most popular brand by far with guys in the trades in my area.
I've got a big 30 year old Craftsman that still works but cumbersome. Bought a Dewalt about 2 years ago, much handier.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Rigid is most popular brand by far with guys in the trades in my area.

I have a medium sized one, and it's a pretty good unit. I wish I had gotten a smaller one...handier...
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Have an old at least 10+ years Wet/Dry still sucks just fine.
I have a big rigid and a smaller stanley. Both get the job done !
Originally Posted by slumlord
They all suck

Slumlord's post being a play on words notwithstanding, he's right. And not in a good way.

I've had about every brand known to mankind, including the vaunted Rigid. Rigid is no better than anything else. Walmart's around here sell a brand called "Hart" and have quit Shop Vac. Shop Vac's are okay. Hart is okay. Probably the best I've had has been Craftsman. I don't know if they sell them anymore as Sears stores around here are defunct. The cartridge filters will soon end up costing you as much as the vac itself if you use it much.

Basically, if you do much floor cleaning and bulky stuff, you want one with a big hole. They'll also do for more cramped spaces like auto interiors with the smaller hose attached-the one you use for a smaller vac.

Any brand will do. Get the big holed one of whatever brand you choose if you can swing it. They'll go on sale around here on Black Friday for $25 or used to, for a smallish one with a small hole. That was when Walmart's carried Shop Vac brand. They're okay with the limitations of the small hole, but be advised that, the shorter ones turn over easily. Get the cartridge filter, despite the extra expense.
Rigid is handy. Available at Home Depot as are extra attachments and spare filters.

My 18 gallon also BLOWS.
I just go up to the car wash

They have the best ones for .75cents for 4 minutes.

👍
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
I haven't used my shop vac since I bought my Milwaukee m18 vac.
Truth-be-told, brand doesn't matter much when they're prolly all made in the same shop in China.
Posted By: Dre Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
This will serve you well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...bjTYSiPpwxoCK9gQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: add Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
They are all $50 - $120.

Buy two, but damn.
Costco in our AO started selling a dewalt branded vac, stainless.
I’ve used every brand out there….shop vac, ridgid, snap-on, Milwaukee m18, porter cable, craftsman….
These things kick ass and for less than $100. Absolute steal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kingston Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
I have 10 or 12 Alto WAP vacs. Made in Germany. They're awesome, super quiet, lots of suction, but pricy. I've also got a Fein and a couple Festool Vacs. The only time I use a ShopVac or Rigid brand machine, is if I'm not planning on cleaning out whatever I sucked up. I throw them out like they're one of Slumlord's Dollar General razors.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Any brand will do. Get the big holed one of whatever brand you choose if you can swing it. They'll go on sale around here on Black Friday for $25 or used to, for a smallish one with a small hole. That was when Walmart's carried Shop Vac brand. They're okay with the limitations of the small hole

I'll definitely need the big hole.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Any brand will do. Get the big holed one of whatever brand you choose if you can swing it. They'll go on sale around here on Black Friday for $25 or used to, for a smallish one with a small hole. That was when Walmart's carried Shop Vac brand. They're okay with the limitations of the small hole

LMAO
Posted By: las Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Ridgid
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by High_Noon

LMAO
Rigid
lol

Posted By: SandBilly Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
lol

😂 Wtf
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Did you need the big hole attachment?
Where the hell is Beaver?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Thanks all.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
i have used everything they make on jobs in the last 30yrs. they are all the same. i air to clean them out once in a while and they work like new again. drywall dust is the worst thing use them for. its very hard on motors. take your pick.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Ridged here.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Another Rigid user here. It's been sucking nicely for many years. My wife has another smaller one that she uses in the house for dust bunnies, etc. It works fine but has the smaller hose. You don't want that one as it plugs up too easily.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
I have a rigid and Craftsman.
Pretty good info here.
He does alot of comparsons on his channel.

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
I had a small Craftsman for about 20 years. Recently bought a Rigid. It had the.best reviews in that price range. It does have better suction than the craftsman.
Posted By: deflave Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

That’s what I’m getting.

Milwaukee cordless kicks all ass.
Posted By: deflave Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
My old Shop Vac finally died and I replaced it with a RIGID.

The RIGID is a complete POS.
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
I have a rigid and Craftsman.
Pretty good info here.
He does alot of comparsons on his channel.

I've watched his comparisons before. He does a good job. I didn't totally agree with his conclusions as he placed IMO, too much emphasis on warranty which, isn't really an objective measure. I've currently got Shop Vac, Craftsman, Rigid and Hart vacs. Have never owned a Stanley, Bauer or DeWalt shopvac. Will be looking hard at Bauer after that test though. One thing he should've emphasized was money. For the money, it's gonna be hard to beat that Bauer. If I was the OP, that's what I'd be getting, most likely.
Originally Posted by deflave
My old Shop Vac finally died and I replaced it with a RIGID.

The RIGID is a complete POS.
I've got a RIGID. While I wouldn't characterize it as a complete POS, I'm not looking to buy another one.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a small Craftsman for about 20 years. Recently bought a Rigid. It had the.best reviews in that price range. It does have better suction than the craftsman.

You can use any recent Craftsman tool since they all suck.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
They all work about the same as long as you keep the filter clean and the drum cleaned out... the advantage of the smaller units is you can find the small cleaning ends with the brush on them a lot easier than the big hose units... I've found they work great for knocking the dirt and dust loose so the vac can suck it up...
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 12344mag

That’s what I’m getting.

Milwaukee cordless kicks all ass.

This is what I’ve got. I use it way more than I would have thought. Having the ability to take it with me where there’s no power awesome. Deer blinds, in the truck, camping to sweep the tent out....

Been awesome so far.
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: Shop vac recommendation - 08/20/21
Fein all the way. Nothing like a [bleep] box store brand. Pricey though.
© 24hourcampfire