Home
Posted By: Morewood Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
80 year old drummer for the Rolling Stones died today in London.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Meanwhile, Keith Richards is still well preserved due to daily formaldehyde injections. 😜
Posted By: 673 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
It was a good run, RIP.
Posted By: hanco Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
RIP. Played a long time
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
If I recall the stories correctly, he was actually pretty normal, watching all the insane circus activities going on around him.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
He can now toss hotel room TV sets out of the window of heaven

Godspeed Charlie

ahh just kidding

He always looked bored lol
Posted By: leemar28 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
He was one of the good ones for sure.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
"Back in 1984, drunk in Amsterdam after a meeting, Jagger and Richards had gotten back to the hotel at five in the morning. Jagger decided to call Charlie Watts’ room, despite Richards’ protestations “Where’s my drummer”, were the indolent words that “Brenda Jagger” (affectionately nicknamed by Richards, after the British novelist) uttered into the phone.

A few moments later, there’s a knock on the door; as Richards describes in his book, “Charlie Watts, Savile Row suit, perfectly dressed, tie, shaved, the whole [bleep] bit. I could smell the cologne! I opened the door, and he didn’t even look at me, he walked straight past me, got hold of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again.’ Then he hauled him up by the lapels of my jacket and gave him a right hook. Mick fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon on the table and began to slide towards the open window and the canal below it.” Jagger almost fell in, except Richards caught him at just the right time.

Later on, Watts wanted to know why Richards had to stop Jagger from sliding into the canal. Keith replied in his usual sly and slightly sadistic charm, “My Jacket, Charlie, that’s why!”
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
RIP. Was still rockin at 80!
Posted By: john843 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Married to the same woman since the mid '60's.
His daughter lives just up the road outside of Charleston, S.C.

John
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by Morewood
"Back in 1984, drunk in Amsterdam after a meeting, Jagger and Richards had gotten back to the hotel at five in the morning. Jagger decided to call Charlie Watts’ room, despite Richards’ protestations “Where’s my drummer”, were the indolent words that “Brenda Jagger” (affectionately nicknamed by Richards, after the British novelist) uttered into the phone.

A few moments later, there’s a knock on the door; as Richards describes in his book, “Charlie Watts, Savile Row suit, perfectly dressed, tie, shaved, the whole [bleep] bit. I could smell the cologne! I opened the door, and he didn’t even look at me, he walked straight past me, got hold of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again.’ Then he hauled him up by the lapels of my jacket and gave him a right hook. Mick fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon on the table and began to slide towards the open window and the canal below it.” Jagger almost fell in, except Richards caught him at just the right time.

Later on, Watts wanted to know why Richards had to stop Jagger from sliding into the canal. Keith replied in his usual sly and slightly sadistic charm, “My Jacket, Charlie, that’s why!”

LOL. Like him a lot better after reading that !
I can’t stand that POS Mick Jagger
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Rest in peace Charlie .

Always liked the Rolling Stones , I don't care about their politics and such - people like them live in a different world .
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
I bought my first rolling stones album when I was 12 in 1963.

My Jr High school full of Beatles fans. The only Stones fans played guitar.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Rest in peace Mr. Drummer man.
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Solid dude. RIP Mr. Watts
Posted By: dale06 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
RIP Charlie.
I’ve always liked the Stones.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
A true gentleman , RIP Charlie and thanks for all the beats you put down .
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
OMG, one of The Rolling Stones has finally passed on, I was beginning to think they were immortal.
Posted By: rong Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Always loved Charlie,being in rock+roll that long and married to the same woman says alot about his charactor.
Keef + Mick always had the spotlight,
Charlie had the "class"

Sad day for sure.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
OMG, one of The Rolling Stones has finally passed on, I was beginning to think they were immortal.

You forgot Brian Jones back in 1969.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Well scheidt,

Had to happen one day I guess.

He had the beat that kept the band who they are for all these years. Solid, and stoic looking that he was, i'm sure his professionalism didn't hurt one bit in keeping that group of nuts together.

Godspeed Mr Watts.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Dang RIP
Posted By: Springcove Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Beatles 2
Stones 1 RIP
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
R.I.P. Charlie. You had a hell of a good run, and a good head on your shoulders from what I always heard. Wonder what caused his demise? They just say he had a medical procedure recently so I'm guessing maybe complications from that ?
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Didn't he have a 3-4000 acre pine tree plantation in the south--Georgia?--that he developed for quail? Might have got that from an interview some time ago?
Posted By: Morewood Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
What a drag it is getting old.
Posted By: john843 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Didn't he have a 3-4000 acre pine tree plantation in the south--Georgia?--that he developed for quail? Might have got that from an interview some time ago?

You might be thinking about Chuck Levall (sp?), the Stones keyboardist since the early '80's. Before that he was an original Allman Bro. Band member.

jJohn
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
What a drag it is getting old.

I see what you did there!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You forgot Brian Jones back in 1969.

When this you see,
Remember me
And bare me in you mind.
Let all the would say,
What they may.
Speak of me as you find!

That was on one of the stone’s albums right after Brian died. I can’t remember the name of the album!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Always thought he was the sanest of the bunch. Perfectly willing to let the others be in the limelight.

RIP, Charlie.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Good music along with good times.

See ya Charlie.
Posted By: DMc Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/24/21
Sorry to hear this. RIP Charlie
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
If I recall the stories correctly, he was actually pretty normal, watching all the insane circus activities going on around him.

He was never known to be a party animal.

He was dealing with cancer a few years ago.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Well scheidt,

Had to happen one day I guess.

He had the beat that kept the band who they are for all these years. Solid, and stoic looking that he was, i'm sure his professionalism didn't hurt one bit in keeping that group of nuts together.

Godspeed Mr Watts.

Read an interview last month as their is trying to get going, said he had go sit it out, felt his timing has been off for a little while.

A humble guy he didn’t indicate that he was too terribly sick but he just felt it was that show go on with him slowing it down.

I’m not particularly a Stones person but had ran across that just a couple weeks back actually.
Posted By: EdM Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Posted By: add Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Not the best singer of the bunch... regardless.

To the Stars, Sweet Prince.

To the Stars!

[Linked Image from img.apmcdn.org]
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Do you think the rest of the boys will decide to retire now? Wouldn't be the Stones without Charlie.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/25/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Do you think the rest of the boys will decide to retire now? Wouldn't be the Stones without Charlie.

They have contractual obligations to finish the tour theyre in the middle of until November.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
I knew a guy who worked at a big hotel back in the 90s and the Stones stayed there when they had the Steel Wheels tour. They band was sitting around the pool and Charlie asked the guy to get him a six pack of beer and some nachos, then tipped him $100
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by JeffyD

They have contractual obligations to finish the tour theyre in the middle of until November.

Yep. Just like ZZ Top.

They were back out Touring a couple of weeks after Dusty Hill died back in July.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Never heard of them.
Or Foghat either...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
Never heard of them.
Or Foghat either...

How is that possible Sam, they were the “in thing” when you were 14.

You more into the Doo Whop

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Never heard of them.
Or Foghat either...

LOL. You were probably more into the “Kiss” Army back then. 😜
Posted By: Morewood Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Never heard of them.
Or Foghat either...

Well, you can't always get what you want.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Charlie Watts RIP - 08/26/21
Never heard of them.
Or Foghat either...

Well, you can't always get what you want.

But!!!! If you try sometime, you just might find, you’ll get what you need!!
© 24hourcampfire