Home
Posted By: luv2safari Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Asking those with actual experience with them...

Are they reliable and accurate. I need a cheap 308.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I have one in 6.5 Creed. In my experience, the answer to your questions is yes. With hand loads I'm getting groups 3/4" @ 100 yds.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Yup
Posted By: Oakster Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I bought several during Walmart clearance a few years for like $79 each. I gave one to each of my boys for Christmas. My younger boy wanted to use it and was getting it ready to go hunting a few years ago and I think it took about 2 boxes of shells through it before it settled down and started shooting decent groups. It was hard to sight in before that because it was shooting to sporadically. Its a good shooter now, last I heard. I should add that he was shooting factory loads, cheaper cup and core like federal blue box or rem corelokt... I cant remember which
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Got one in 30-06 for the son in law.

He is left handed so i feel i got lucky finding a left hand for 275.00 local.

It shoots darn good with bullets 150-180,does not seem to care what make.
Posted By: MAC Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Looked at getting one in 308 myself. Ended up getting a T/C Compass instead simply because I caught a sale where I got the T/C for $40 less than I could get an Axis here in Amarillo. I wanted a cheap truck gun for coyotes and deer and the Axis and Compass both fit the bill.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I've got a first generation SR model in .308. The SR has the threaded 20" barrel. Did some trigger lightening on it. Have taken two deer at 150 yds and one at 100 yds. All DRT. Those are the only ones I've shot at with it.
Posted By: Millerish Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I got a youth in .243 that shot factory ammo sub moa straight out of the box and a 6.5 creed that shoots almost as good. I picked them up during a local sale, was skeptical to say the least however have been pleasantly surprised by them! Got them for spare rifles for when friends are over hunting and their rifles get damaged, cheap insurance.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
As the above has been mentioned, they do just fine.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
My son won one in 30-06/scope two years ago in a big buck contest.

He didn’t bother working up a load for it as he was going to give it to a friend.

Purchased a box of 180 gr Core-Lokt , took it to the range and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy . It was an honest 1 inch rifle even with the POS scope that came with it and factory ammo.
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I have a stainless Axis in .270. I put a new trigger in it, and it's been great. If you can, get one with the accutrigger.
Posted By: ERK Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Yup.
Good shooter with a crappy trigger.as said above the accutrigger is much better. Mine actually ejects the spent cases unlike most of the other savages. Edk
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I don't know why any other affordable rifle exists when you can buy a Howa.
Posted By: MAC Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Howa 1500 rifles run about $450. I bought a T/C Compass in 308 Win for $241 including tax. Why would I spend $200 more than I have to for a truck gun? Especially when my T/C Compass shoots a group like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21

W E I G H T !!!

I've had several Howas, and they are excellent, but they're heavy, and we climb steep rugged mountains often several hour climbs to get where the deer are.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I've picked up a couple, and given the stellar accuracy ( small little groups), you are paying pennies on the dollar for what it gives you, compared to a lot of other rifles..

and yeah, I have some Howas, some Howa Minis, plenty of Rugers, Model 70s, and Model 700s.

The Axis holds its own and then some....

Some one shoots it if you want to get rid of it, you will easily recover every penny you spent on it..
Posted By: Seafire Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Originally Posted by MAC

Howa 1500 rifles run about $450. I bought a T/C Compass in 308 Win for $241 including tax. Why would I spend $200 more than I have to for a truck gun? Especially when my T/C Compass shoots a group like this:

exactly
Posted By: slumlord Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Savage Axis- another job well done by organized labor

😃
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
Had one in 223 that came with a cheap Chinese Bushnell 3-9x40 scope that was as accurate out of the box as my CZ 527 with a Burris 3-9x40. I shot the Axis a lot for about a year before I sold it and never had a problem with it. I've still got the CZ but for accuracy and function the Axis was well worth the money.
Posted By: Dukester Re: Savage Axis - 08/29/21
I've been looking at the bargain rifles as well and was considering the Axis. After handling one I found I did not like the stock. They just don't feel good in my trigger hand. The stock is too small/narrow there for my taste. I held the Thompson Venture II and I really like it better, even though it is heavier. Both should shoot well. Handle and Axis, a Thompson and either a Howa and maybe the Vanguard and see which one you like then buy it. The Axis and Thompson Compass will be less expensive than the others but if it doesn't feel good in your hands...

Should you decide on the Axis, Cabella's has one with a Camo stock on sale and with the factory rebate they are running $259 plus tax right now.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by Dukester
I've been looking at the bargain rifles as well and was considering the Axis. After handling one I found I did not like the stock. They just don't feel good in my trigger hand. The stock is too small/narrow there for my taste. I held the Thompson Venture II and I really like it better, even though it is heavier. Both should shoot well. Handle and Axis, a Thompson and either a Howa and maybe the Vanguard and see which one you like then buy it. The Axis and Thompson Compass will be less expensive than the others but if it doesn't feel good in your hands...

Should you decide on the Axis, Cabella's has one with a Camo stock on sale and with the factory rebate they are running $259 plus tax right now.

I saw that. I wish my local store had a caliber I want.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Exactly! Love my t/c compass in 223. Accurate as hell and does exactly what I ask of it. Great truck gun and the yotes fall👍
Posted By: Rt50blaster Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Just got an axis compact youth in 243. Lights out accurate at 100 with handliads. The action is rough but it does shoot well
Posted By: Hastings Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
I've shot 3 different ones that belonged to other people. 2 were .270W. and 1 was .30-06.They all shot surprisingly accurately but had horrible triggers. I've heard you can now get an adjustable Accu-Trigger.
Posted By: Dukester Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Dukester

I saw that. I wish my local store had a caliber I want.

Order online for pick up at your local store. I just checked and almost every caliber is available online. I think .223 was the only one they were out of.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by luv2safari

W E I G H T !!!

I've had several Howas, and they are excellent, but they're heavy, and we climb steep rugged mountains often several hour climbs to get where the deer are.

Your old ass ain't climbing shìt! grin
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by MAC

Jeebus....as if we needed another reason to make everything schittier.

Just go buy one of them Russian carbines.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Savage Axis - 08/30/21
My brother bought one about 8 years ago one a whim in case we were drawn for a state deer hunt. It had the cruddy plastic u shaped spring retainer shown in this video. I couldn't believe they would put something that cheesey on a firearm. You know there is a very limited amount of times that plastic can be bent before it fatigues and breaks. But apparently they now have a new design shown in this vid.

Posted By: MAC Re: Savage Axis - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by MAC

Jeebus....as if we needed another reason to make everything schittier.

Just go buy one of them Russian carbines.

Were you born an idiot or did you work at it? You're touting a Japanese brand and I'm touting an American brand. I'm willing to bet you're too damn dumb to even know Howa is Japanese. Tell you what Fool, go stand 200 yards away and let me take a shot at you and we'll see just how "schittier" my T/C Compass is.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 08/31/21
I wouldn't trust your 100 dollar rifle not to break in half.

The Axis like the economy model Yugo.

Sheesh.

Maybe someday Harbor Freight will make a hunting rifle for 76 dollars. You people will be in heaven then.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage Axis - 08/31/21
I had one, just traded it off last week toward a Kimber Hunter. I hated the stock ergs and felt it was one of the worst firearms that I've ever owned, ranking down toward the bottom of the pile.

I have a Mossberg Patriot that I like better.

I have a few Marlin X guns that I like better.

Even though I don't care for the stock ergs, the Ruger Americans are at least as accurate as the Axis.

IMO, the Axis is a cheap gun that feels cheap, but they seem to shoot. It's kinda funny that people used to complain about how ugly the 110 series rifles were, but compared to the Axis the 110 series are regular beauty queens.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 08/31/21
Yeah! Like the Savage needed cheapening up!
Posted By: MAC Re: Savage Axis - 08/31/21

Sheesh.

Maybe someday Harbor Freight will make a hunting rifle for 76 dollars. You people will be in heaven then.

I guess you must be a friggin retard because my rifle isn't an Axis. Perhaps you didn't read where I have a T/C Compass. I notice you don't take me up on my offer to stand out at 200 yards and let me take a poke at you. Perhaps you're afraid it won't break in half? Or maybe you're afraid that I'll punch the 10 ring on your worthless carcass? Won't bother me in the least to ventilate you. Haven't got to shoot at someone since 2013 when I was last in the Middle East helping Haji get his 40 virgins.

Something tells he that you're actually a real punk in real life.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
TC Compas?

Couldn't even afford the quality of the Axis eh?

Sad.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
I have a Compass or venture in 223. Fugg i dont even know what it is. Finally unboxed it after 4 years and slapped a scope on it.

It sure is ugly but it was another one of super clearance finds. About $200

Shoots great with just bulk cheap 223 garbage ammo.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
I have a Savage Axis in .308

I ended up buying a heavy barrel varmint rifle in .308 so it doesn't get shot much anymore.

I bought it because it was a good price point gun. I hear about the triggers and they added accu trigger in the Axis II soI guess it was a concern for them but I don't hate it.

If I was looking to buy a budget priced .308, I'd probably make that choice again.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Roger that.
I can kill a deer with a shîtty trigger. IDGAF.

i don’t murder that much paper.

lol
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can kill a deer with a shîtty trigger. IDGAF.

i don’t murder that much paper.

lol

I wish I was a talented enough shooter that a good trigger would make a difference.

my targets at the range are a cardboard box and a tomato stake

Posted By: DeWman Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
My brother and his son both have Savage Axis in 308. They don't baby them and their cleaning routine is rather spartan but each Missouri deer season they've killed out opening weekend and it's on to other things. I will say both of their original cheap scopes crapped at the range sighting in before 10rds were fired. Don't believe they've shot much over 150yds max either.
lol

Learn the creep, shoot it a lot.

I have a 1908 mauser that had supposedly a horrible trigger. I never thought about it. Renegade made some adjustment. Says it’s better. Maybe I’m numb to nuances and sensitivities.

With regard to that Axis, one of people I let hunt here has one. First time he fired it, stuck case

Sent It back, they kept it for 3 months, sent something back, either that or something different. Its all good now. Shoots great for him.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21

Sheesh.

Yeah! Like the Savage needed cheapening up!

Big Jim is on fire!!
Fugkin right on too…
I don’t buy cheap tools or cheap guns. Buy once, cry once. I wouldn’t own a compass, axis, Remington 783 etc….. The loaner/truck gun justification for owning garbage is ridiculous. Life’s too short to own cheap tools or cheap guns.
You should get Renegade50 to finish the stock and metal work for you.

Maybe he doesn't work on guns that expensive?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Let’s see.

We’ve gone from a simple, straightforward request for advice by the OP to we’re now gonna shoot holes in each other.

Only on The Campfire can you find this type of entertainment.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Must be a lot of Kia’s parked in driveways around the fire.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Let’s see.

We’ve gone from a simple, straightforward request for advice by the OP to we’re now gonna shoot holes in each other.

50 dollar rifles at 100 paces!
Let’s see.

I meant to add “Grins “ to that.

Put another way, if MAC misses you it’ll ruin his reputation.
Let’s see.

He seems well adjusted.
I tear up anything nice clanking it around up and down metal deer stands and climbers.

Be different I had someone driving me around “The Ranch” in air conditioned Escalade

😃
Let’s see.

He seems well adjusted.

Watch yo azz, bubba. The hi line ain’t a bridge too far.
You’ve been duly warned.
wooo it’s a party now

😃
wooo it’s a party now

😃

You obviously don’t know how far a T/C can shoot and accurately, too.

Serious matter here.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Ruger American.
Posted By: MAC Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Let’s see.

I wouldn't miss an ass that big at 200 yards.
No chance with that piece of schit rifle.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Sheeet, it'd be a great walrus gun to take in the skinboat Jimbo.
lol

I have a 1908 mauser that had supposedly a horrible trigger. I never thought about it. Renegade made some adjustment. Says it’s better. Maybe I’m numb to nuances and sensitivities.

With regard to that Axis, one of people I let hunt here has one. First time he fired it, stuck case

Sent It back, they kept it for 3 months, sent something back, either that or something different. Its all good now. Shoots great for him.

I had a stuck case in mine when I first got it. I was shooting schit russian ammo, some crap stuff in a non descript box. Once I switched over to some decent stuff it got right.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Let’s see.

Does 50 include the optics?

If so I’m going to be shooting my axis 243 through an old Miller bottle held on with duct tape.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
I bought an Axis in 30-06 and changed the barrel with an EABCO 6.5 x 55 barrel kit. The accuracy is outstanding, though that is due to the ER Shaw barrel that came in the kit. The Axis has held up well, never failing to fire or cycle. It is reassuring to be able to change your barrel in your garage with just a vice, an action wrench. and the proper headspace gauges.
Originally Posted by KFWA
lol

I had a stuck case in mine when I first got it. I was shooting schit russian ammo, some crap stuff in a non descript box. Once I switched over to some decent stuff it got right.

wow!!

That makes me, you and renegade50 only people on campfire that ever shot Russian ammo

(After that thread from the other day)

😂
Posted By: reivertom Re: Savage Axis - 09/01/21
Asking those with actual experience with them...

Are they reliable and accurate. I need a cheap 308.

I had a .223 that really didn't shoot that well. I was expecting much better according to the hype. If you got one in .308 for a deer rifle, it should do fine for our ranges. I'm sure there are some that shoot better than the one I had.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Savage Axis - 09/08/21

W E I G H T !!!

Your old ass ain't climbing shìt! grin

HAH! Bet Me...

I just got back from climbing after blue grouse in the high mountains of eastern NV. You eastern MT flatlanders would be puking out your guts if you tried to keep up.

sick grin
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Savage Axis - 09/08/21
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I had one, just traded it off last week toward a Kimber Hunter. I hated the stock ergs and felt it was one of the worst firearms that I've ever owned, ranking down toward the bottom of the pile.

I have a Mossberg Patriot that I like better.

I have a few Marlin X guns that I like better.

Even though I don't care for the stock ergs, the Ruger Americans are at least as accurate as the Axis.

IMO, the Axis is a cheap gun that feels cheap, but they seem to shoot. It's kinda funny that people used to complain about how ugly the 110 series rifles were, but compared to the Axis the 110 series are regular beauty queens.

I tried out a Mossy Patriot in 375 Rooooger. It was their cheapest model, cost about $350.00. It shot great, but it voided my nose of snot. Geeeeee-Zusss! It hammered me!. One in a 308 would be a good choice, but they aren't around.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Savage Axis - 09/08/21
I prefer the Ruger American to the Axis. I have both. The trigger on the Axis needs work otherwise it is 5 to 6 pounds. A cheap spring replacement helps immensely. The stocks on the current models are stiffer than those on the early models. Accuracy is normally great. I helped one lady with an inaccurate Axis and finally got it shooting sub-MOA. Do not buy the combo version. The rings, bases, and scope are junk. Buy the rifle and add decent rings and bases and the scope of your choice.

It has been reported that Ruger recruited the Savage engineer who designed the Axis and asked him to design the American without the weaknesses of the Axis. Usually the American is accurate and ready to go right out of the box. Many of the early American rifles had a stock that wasn't straight. It touched the barrel on the left side causing changes in group size and consistency, but htat seems to be fixed.
© 24hourcampfire