Home
I have a Stainless Steel Savage 110 "Weather Warrior" in 30-06. It has the accu-trigger and accu-stock. Due to the current Covid Crap, I was wondering if I could switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor set up. It is a lefty bolt action. I know it would be easier if it was 308, because of the shorter bolt action. Mine is the trap door model. Any thoughts?? I have an interested party in the 30-06 config it's in now. I just love shooting the 6.5mm Creedmoor so much more. Thanks for any input.
Sell it and buy you a 6.5 Creed.

It’d be one thing if you wanted to convert to a 6.5x55, but turning a long action 30-06 action into something for short action 6.5 Creed?? Nah....

Or think about a 6.5 PRC....
FFS
I already have 2 Creeds......just like stainless barrels. I was figuring the long to short would complicate things. That 30-06 SS lefty was a b-day gift to me years ago. I love the look of the rifle, but my shoulder doesn't appreciate the recoil anymore. Lefties are harder to come by now. My dominate eye is my left, BUT the Army taught me to be accurate with my right.
I have a buddy that has a 6.5 PRC and loves it!!! I just don't want to get into another rifle caliber especially at these scandemic prices. Thanks for the input.
6.5-284...
I’m a lefty but right eye dominant. I was lucky to have an Uncle into shooting that realized my dominant eye and got me to shoot right handed as a kid. It’s second nature now and kept a whole lot more options open.
So many choices!
[size:14pt][/size]. I've got a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor in the "Go Wild" camo edition with the burnt bronze cerekote. It has a Mag-pul stock on it.

The latest was another Savage- Precision (not Elite Precision....couldn't get myself to pay 1k more for that SS barrel). It's in FDE, 24" threaded, fluted barrel. It has that all aluminum chassie. I know, I should have bought a Tikka 6.5mm Creedmoor in stainless, but I really like the threaded barrel option.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
So many choices!

I’m pretty sure being a left eye dominant shooter must suck! Not a lot of choices at all.
[size:14pt][/size]Most rifles, left eye dominance is not a huge factor. I can cycle a bolt, it's just harder to keep the eye on target. As I've aged, my right eye seems to have better clarity. Sometimes, I will shoot a rifle right handed. I'm completely screwed up. I write with my right, but throw with my left. I remember the first time I did a weapons qual with my M-4, and I decided to shoot left. They had us crammed on the range (Clinton's cut backs). I had hot brass from the too close right shooter to my left hit my neck and roll down into my shirt.... I was not a happy camper!!!!
Originally Posted by Lee11b
[size:14pt][/size]Most rifles, left eye dominance is not a huge factor. I can cycle a bolt, it's just harder to keep the eye on target. As I've aged, my right eye seems to have better clarity. Sometimes, I will shoot a rifle right handed. I'm completely screwed up. I write with my right, but throw with my left. I remember the first time I did a weapons qual with my M-4, and I decided to shoot left. They had us crammed on the range (Clinton's cut backs). I had hot brass from the too close right shooter to my left hit my neck and roll down into my shirt.... I was not a happy camper!!!!

Same here. I write left handed but play guitar right. I can’t imagine living in a country with the wheel on the other side and working a stick shift left handed. I generally shoot with both eyes open and can shoot left handed but am slower doing it. Being a lefty in a right handed world is a mixed bag for sure.
I have done this but to a 6.5x55 Swede. Easy enough to do of you have the headspace gauges, a torque wrench, and a good vice.
[size:14pt][/size]That Savage SS 30-06, is the only lefty I have ever owned. I have adapted and overcame, but I have always enjoyed having a rifle made for me. Over the years, the 6.5mm Creedmoor has became my favorite rifle cartridge. With the right muzzle brake, that 6.5mm shoots almost as easy as .223 (5.56mm for you government employees.....lol). Every time I let one of my buddies shoot my Creedmoor, they become hooked!!!! I had a really good friend of mine sell his beloved 308 and all its ammo after he shot my Creed.
I'm a gun nut, I will always have my 308s, 30-06 Garand- it's the greatest battle implement ever invented!!!!- Gen. PATTON. 22s, 223s or 5.56s, 17 HMR, 44 Magnum, 8mm Mauser....then along came the 6.5 Creedmoor. I said I would not own another different rifle cartridge.....then I shot the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've never fired a 6.5 in an AR-10 or semi auto chassis.....who knows that may be my next purchase. A 6.5mm upper for an AR-10 lower I already own......decisions......decisions......LOL
6.5-06, 25-06?
It’s an easy cartridge to like. My only 6.5CM is factory out of the box other than a Grayboe A5 profile stock factory heavy barreled Rem 700 action. It shoots most commercial 140ish grain ammo to about 0.5 MOA five round groups out to 300 yards (the furthest I can shoot at my home range).
It's not a problem to do but it might not feed well. Chances are it'll feed fine though, you won't know until you try it.

Call northland shooters supply and get a criterion pre-chambered barrel in 6.5 creedmoor in the contour you want. It's a 10 minute barrel swap with the right tools. You don't really need a headspace gauge, a piece of brass will do fine. I'll get called a heretic from the crowd that'll swear you'll blow yourself up without a headspace gauge but I've done probably a dozen with and without the headspace gauges and it's not really needed.
simple fix with a savage barrel nut. 15-20 minutes its done. i've done many. its best to do it with headspace gauges. there used to be a member out west somewhere that usually had savage factory barrels for sale because he bought new savage rifles to build on. i bought a few from him a few years back but i can't remember his name. i've done some short action calibers on long bolted savages and they always fed good
My first Savage was a 30-06 that I bought used for $150. A buddy had lost interest , "It kicks too much and isn't accurate".

A barrel cleaning and a recoil pad and it shot great but I wanted a 22-250AI so I spun that barrel on the 30-06 action.

Why not, The action is longer than needed but so what?

A buddy is still shooting that rifle as a 6.5x284 Norma. I've lost track of all the barrels I experimented with on that action...

You could put a filler in the magazine box if needed but I didn't, I used it as a switch barrel rifle.

Northland is a good place to order a barrel but you will need to know which barrel diameter you have, Large or Small.

You'll need a headspace gauge, a wrench for the barrel nut and a barrel vice or I made a wrench to fit the recoil lug which is sooo much easier.

Watch some youtube videos and have fun,.
I have the older lefty 100, I converted it to 6.5-06 and love it. I also have a 1900 6.5x55 96/38 that I made into my every day hunter. The 06 brass is easy to neck down , and the 110 was easy to convert. Something about that long skinny bullet is a death bolt
At one time all Savage 110 actions were long actions. Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester’s were to. No one seems to mind them.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
6.5-284...

This.

Ive got a lefty savage from years back when they made the predator series. Fluted barrel. Detach mag. Camo stock.
Slumlord has a Savage weather warrior in 6.5 - 284 norma.
Really nice rifle.
One ragged hole or clover leafing rifle.

Lotsa Savage hate from the "I heard it crowd".
Mostly for inclusion and acceptance post among the crowd even though many have 0 experience with the brand I bet.

I bet I can outshoot many who run their pieholes with my Savage 220 slug gun at 100 yds against them using their fav bolt hunting rifle.
Typing on the web versus reality are 2 different things.

This isnt a carte blanche statement directed against one and all.
But against the posers and for the most part many of us know who the posers are....

And aside from that the good ole maxim
Pics or it didnt happen is kryptonite to em.....

I'm a f u c king dikhead anyways......
And I love rubbing dog schitt in people's faces in the real world and the land of 1,s and 0,s.

It's what I do....
And I didn't stay in a motel 6 recently either...

😁😁😁😁😁😁
Lee
Check out . Savage shooters.com
You should find all the info that you need with out all the bull sh.
I converted my savage 30'06 into a 6mm rem. Anything is better than a 30'06 though 😀 If I wanted a 6.5 on a standard long action, it would be a 6.5-284. Grab a piece of Lapua brass and you're done. Next would be a Swede...

Linky...

these guys will fix you up with a barrel

Either factory take off or CBI SS

I've never used gauges...use FL sized brass to set H/S

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-savage/
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I converted my savage 30'06 into a 6mm rem. Anything is better than a 30'06 though 😀 If I wanted a 6.5 on a standard long action, it would be a 6.5-284. Grab a piece of Lapua brass and you're done. Next would be a Swede...

agree with DC......

have a LA....think Swede or 6.5x284
I had a factory Savage .223 built on the long 110 Left Hand action. Most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. No issues going from long to short. I would personally advise the use of head space gauges. But, to each his own...
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Valsdad
So many choices!

I’m pretty sure being a left eye dominant shooter must suck! Not a lot of choices at all.

If he's rebarreling that one, which is already a lefty I believe, I can imagine about any 6.5 cal might work,

hence my choice of words.

PS, the nuns where I went to school would have had him doing everything right handed anyway. wink
Originally Posted by renegade50
Really nice rifle.

Mostly for inclusion and acceptance post among the crowd even though many have 0 experience with the brand I bet.

I bet I can outshoot many who run their pieholes with my Savage 220 slug gun at 100 yds against them using their fav bolt hunting rifle.

But against the posers and for the most part many of us know who the posers are....

And I love rubbing dog schitt in people's faces in the real world and the land of 1,s and 0,s.

It's what I do....

😁😁😁😁😁😁

2 different people
3 different rifles

“ waaahhhh, this thing don’t shoot good”

Bring me the goddamm rifle out here, bring your factory ammo, and a bore snake

Get it up on bags, not a damn thing wrong with the rifle.

Here ya go Flinchy, it all checks out.

Watch Willy burn 1/2 a box of ammo through his Marlin x7, till I proves to him there was nothing wrong. Dude was closing his eyes as he pulled the trigger
It should be a simple barrel change. Since it's a long action you could do it in .260 or 6.5x55 but the Creedmoor is good also. 6.5-284 is a barrel burner. you could also do it in 6.5-06 and get about the same barrel life as the 6.5-284.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Really nice rifle.

It's what I do....

😁😁😁😁😁😁

I've shot with friends that have 3-5k in a lightweight rifle. I've yet to see one shoot enough better than my Savage that comes in under 7 pounds, loaded, with scope (Razor HD 1.5-8) and sling.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
I have rebarreled two Savage 30-06"s to shorter cartridges. One to .243 and the other to .260. Both feed just fine. Savages are simple to rebarrel. If you have factory ammunition you can use it for a headspace gauge. Remove the ejector and the firing pin first though.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Linky...

these guys will fix you up with a barrel

Either factory take off or CBI SS

I've never used gauges...use FL sized brass to set H/S

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-savage/

They also offer a 6.5-06. They feed great and are easy to form brass for. I'd do that or a 6.5x284 criterion in an 8 twist. Simple barrel swap and you can always put the original back on later.

Bb
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I have done this but to a 6.5x55 Swede. Easy enough to do of you have the headspace gauges, a torque wrench, and a good vice.
Tracy is on the mark - and 6.5x55 will not disappoint. Personally, I would go to 6.5/06 - have done so - after a look at the numbers for perf and costs.
[size:14pt][/size]I really appreciate ALL the input!!!! This forum is awesome and all the members that responded to this have given me a TON of great tips and websites to browse......
I might not be selling this old lefty girl, thanks to all of you!!!
© 24hourcampfire