Home
Posted By: 7mmbuster Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Most guys around the ‘fire love Westerns.
We’ve been down this road several times, I know, but just for the sake of argument, I’ll post this 11 minute video.

I don’t know who their critics are, but a couple of these aren’t even Westerns. I’ve seen all these but one, and several of their picks I won’t bother to watch again.
Thoughts?
7mm
Appaloosa was great. True Grit qualifies. Both versions. The Good, Bad, and Ugly is up there.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Most guys around the ‘fire love Westerns.
We’ve been down this road several times, I know, but just for the sake of argument, I’ll post this 11 minute video.

I don’t know who their critics are, but a couple of these aren’t even Westerns. I’ve seen all these but one, and several of their picks I won’t bother to watch again.
Thoughts?
7mm

Yeah, in my view, a Western has to take place pre-1900.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
What about Open Range?

Surprised they included The Rider on that list, on account of how it used actual South Dakota Rez residents that movie was almost a documentary.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
What about Open Range?

Another great one.
Tombstone.
Hostiles.
3:10 to Yuma.
Posted By: MikeMcGuire Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The Big Country
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Comancheros
They Died with Their Boots On
Gunfight at The OK Corral
Hombre
Lawman
The Professionals
Last Train from Gun Hill
The Violent Men
Fastest Gun Alive
The Alamo
Warlock
The War Wagon
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Lonesome Dove......Shane
Posted By: 320090T Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
This would be a loooong western, Lonesome Dove
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Anything with Lee Van Cleef in it.....
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The original “Monte Walsh” with Lee Marvin is one of the greats and of course “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance” is probably one of the best and least recognized.
Lonesome Dove and Unforgiven
Posted By: g5m Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Pretty good choices in that video.
Boy howdy.

No mention of the Magnificent Seven.

Sheesh!!

Hold into the console teevee
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Lonesome Dove......Shane

Love the original Lonesome Dove miniseries. "I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it."
Anyone of them with Gene Wilder and Clevon Little in it.
Originally Posted by renegade50

That would be the three Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns.

Another good Spaghetti Western, despite not having either Eastwood or VanCleef was Once Upon A Time In The West.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Lonesome Dove and Unforgiven

How could I forget Unforgiven. Another one that's up there.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Blazing Saddles
The Frisco Kid
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Another good Spaghetti Western, despite not having either Eastwood or VanCleef was Once Upon A Time In The West.

He's also a henchman in Liberty Valance and High Noon. (And a gambler in a pretty great Twilight Zone western episode with Lee Marvin.)
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Three Mules for Sister Sara.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
not sure how Once Upon a Time in the West didn't make that list.

I'll watch any western with Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Henry Fonda or Randolph Scott.

Those are stop what you are doing, tolerate commercial westerns for me.
If you don't need cattle in a movie for it to be a western, then how about Master and Commander. It's a story in the western....hemisphere?

We really need a sarcasm emoji.
🤦‍♂️😁😁😁
Lee Van Cleef appeared in all kinds of westerns as a supporting actor. He was one of the bad guys in High Noon. With that look on his face he made a great bad guy.
And High Noon is not on my list of great westerns. I could not believe that the entire town would go chicken.
Posted By: OGB Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Mrs. Doubtfire
Posted By: ledvm Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Big Jake is a good one.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
My Name Is Nobody
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

He's also a henchman in Liberty Valance and High Noon. (And a gambler in a pretty great Twilight Zone western episode with Lee Marvin.)

Yep. VanCleef was a very convincing villain in High Noon. Incidentally, he was also in more than one episode of The Rifleman.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

We really need a sarcasm emoji.
🤦‍♂️😁😁😁

So you're not actually a Van Cleef fan?
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Lee Van Cleef appeared in all kinds of westerns as a supporting actor. He was one of the bad guys in High Noon. With that look on his face he made a great bad guy.
And High Noon is not on my list of great westerns. I could not believe that the entire town would go chicken.

Cooper's character made some big mistakes. When he was in the church, he should have told that fat guy to shut up, and shamed the men in the congregation into joining him, but he basically made zero effort to do so.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Never much liked Henry Fonda or any of his sorry kids. There were many great westerns and John Wayne was in most of them. Robert Duvall, Sam Elliott, Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, lee Van Cleef, Maureen O'Hara, James Garner and many more. Supporting actors make up a great part of any western because the main characters can't do it all. Jack Elam, John McIntire and his wife Jeanette Nolan, Walter Brennan, Harry Carey, Lee Marvin, Strother Martin, Paul Fix, Slim Pickens, Harry Morgan, Arthur Hunnicutt, Ward Bond, Dan Duryea, Ben Johnson to just scratch the surface.
who I can't watch in a Western is Audie Murphy. Nothing against the guy , I know he is a real American hero, but can't watch any of his movies.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
I suppose you could call “ How The West Was Won” a Western. It’s more of a documentary but very good nevertheless.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Toombstone and 3:10 To Yuma. Pale Rider, Josey, Lonesome Dove.

Unfortunately our cable plays Toombstone 3-4x a week for some reason. It’s lost its shine for me now.
Yep. How could we forget Outlaw Josey Wales?
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Movies that complete the Western bill without the need for more:

Kung-Fu the pilot

Lonesome Dove series

Original 3:10 to Yuma

Outlaw Josey Wales

The new Magnificent Seven

Tombstone

Few Dollars More

Open Range
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Tom Horn
Posted By: hosfly Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
"gentlemen" I submit the Cullpepper cattle company, Red river , All the pretty horses, and theres others out there not mentioned daily that are more better than good,, just because yall have the faithfull dozen or so usual westerns ready for any cowboy movie thread reply doesnt mean that that there arent as good an better in the hole,, The cowboys, the rounders, Hombre, Hostiles, open range,Appalousa, all great flicks,
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Unforgiven, Open Range, Broken Trail, and Silverado are modern western classics.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The hateful eight and Bone tomohawk.
Originally Posted by hosfly
"gentlemen" I submit the Cullpepper cattle company, Red river , All the pretty horses, and theres others out there not mentioned daily that are more better than good,, just because yall have the faithfull dozen or so usual westerns ready for any cowboy movie thread reply doesnt mean that that there arent as good an better in the hole,, The cowboys, the rounders, Hombre, Hostiles, open range,Appalousa, all great flicks,

Culpepper is great but never seems to get much attention.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I'm scarred from watching Bone Tomahawk.

I'll never watch that movie again.
Metacritic obviously needed to check these boxes to get an A from their film noir professor, I am surprised Brokeback Mounting wasn't in there!
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Lots of good choices already mentioned. One I didn't see listed is "Ulzana's Raid". For some reason I had missed it, and saw it for the first time last night. Burt Lancaster turns in an exceptional role as an army scout.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Across the Wide Missouri, The Misfits. Dont know if these were mentioned. Both are good filcks.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Badlands and Traded are a couple of good westerns. The three burials of Melquiaqdes Estrada is not only good but different. I have a few more in my collection that I think were released for DVD only and never made the big screen. Too bad as they're pretty darn good.
Paul B.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
I am also partial to Quigley, even though it would be classified as a different sort of western. Tom Selleck can look the part without even trying hard.
Posted By: SMalloy805 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The original Monte Walsh, and for a laugh The Cheyenne Social Club
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Missouri Breaks
Rancho Deluxe
Easy Rider
Posted By: hosfly Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Cowboys with Glen Ford,Angel and the bad man, the Missing,The hard men,Hombre,Broken lance, Bite the Bullitt, Jr Bonner, Tom Horn, lots of gooderns out there,,Gunsmoke,have gun will travel,
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Shane, One Eyed Jacks, The Appaloosa, and don't forget ....

Whispering Smith. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by deltakid
I am also partial to Quigley, even though it would be classified as a different sort of western. Tom Selleck can look the part without even trying hard.

I like the final shootout scene. "I said I had no use for a Colt, not that I couldn't shoot one."
Posted By: Sheister Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
There are so many good westerns it would be hard to mention them all... The Shootist was pretty good and one of John Wayne's last roles, The Revenant was great and the production values and cinematography was incredible... Sons of Katie Elder was also a good one, but I could go on all day. I love Westerns- new and old for the most part but some of the older ones seem pretty dated due to the production techniques and lousy cinematography compared to newer films...

War Wagon
Dancing with Wolves
Silverado is a favorite
All of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns..
Sabata
3:10 to Yuma
Originally Posted by Sheister
There are so many good westerns it would be hard to mention them all... The Shootist was pretty good and one of John Wayne's last roles, The Revenant was great and the production values and cinematography was incredible... Sons of Katie Elder was also a good one, but I could go on all day. I love Westerns- new and old for the most part but some of the older ones seem pretty dated due to the production techniques and lousy cinematography compared to newer films...

War Wagon
Dancing with Wolves
Silverado is a favorite
All of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns..
Sabata

Yeah, the Shootist definitely deserves honorable mention. One of my favorites.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
The Searchers
Tombstone
Big Jake
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shane
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Westerns are my favorite, especially with Clint. I'd say my #1 Clint move is "For a Few Dollars More."

Surprised nobody has mentioned Young Guns. I know its a newer western, but it really was a good movie.
Young guns? Lmfao
Posted By: tdbob Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
A lot of great westerns mentioned. I've always liked Will Penny and J.W. Coop.
Posted By: logger Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin won an Oscar for his role.
Will Penny was something different. A big star, Charleton Heston, plays an old cowboy, just about washed up. He falls in with a beautiful widow who is holed up for the winter at a cabin Will is supposed to be guarding. Charleton takes out the bad guys, and they were really bad, including Bruce Dern one of the great bad guys, Charleton takes them out and then, of course, the beautiful widow wants to marry him. Looks like his golden chance. And he turns her down. This is one where, they didn't ride off into the sunset together.
Young guns? Lmfao

Although not what I consider “perfect” Westerns, I absolutely love Young Guns and Young Guns II.

When I was a kid, I knew an old time horse trader from Hico, TX that knew “Brushy Bill Roberts”.

He said he was full of schitt.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21

Bone Tomahawk should have gotten an Academy Award for the best way to split a human for a feast.

😬🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Bone Tomahawk should have gotten an Academy Award for the best way to split a human for a feast.

😬🦫

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The Searchers
Tombstone
Big Jake
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shane
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I like all those other than The Searchers. I found it mostly boring.
Posted By: drover Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
I like the ones I watch to have at least a semblance of authenticity to them. I have never been able to stomach any of the spaghetti westerns.

My favorites, not in any particular order - with comments

Appaloosa - a darned good one, it didn't drift too far from the book but I wish that they had put just a few more backgound details in it.

The Rounders - a great western, I have known characters like those two all my life, well played.

Tombstone - Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer made it a very believeable and enjoyable movie.

The Big Country - Entertaining, all of the characters were very well played especially the one played by Burl Ives.

True Grit - the John Wayne version was entertaining but the Jeff Bridges version caught the feel of the book and the era.

The Searchers - great acting and scenery, a little hokey at times but still the best acting job John Wayne ever did.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - great movie, great acting by everyone in it.

Will Penny - another under rated movie, probably a little too true to life for most folks.

Open Range - probably the best movie Costner made, especially the gunfight at the end.

Lonesome Dove - the movie was better than the book, a rare occurance.

Monte Walsh - Jack Palance & Lee Marvin version - another great movie.

Tom Horn - slow but good.

Ulzanas Raid - great movie, one of the best Burt Lancaster ever did.

Red River - John Wayne as a very dark character - excellent.

The Gray Fox - about the last train robbery - interesting story and the star is Richard Farnsworth likely hard to find but it is worth it.

drover

Posted By: BobMt Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21

ride the high country is one of the best and pretty much anything with glen ford .....the searchers....alot of people like it ....I cant stand to watch it.....bob
Posted By: Partsman Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Buck and the preacher, silverado
Hang 'Em High was pretty good.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Previous posts mention almost all of my top 10 except my favorite John Wayne movie, El Dorado. Another good western that might not make the Top 10 but would be in my Top 20 is Hang 'em High.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Sorry there was no mention of Winchester '73 with James Stewart or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with John Wayne.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The Naked Spur
McKenna's Gold, (just for Julie Newmar)
Posted By: hatari Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by KFWA
not sure how Once Upon a Time in the West didn't make that list.

+1

The tension oozes out of the screen.
Winchester '73. The Comanche chief who was shot down, while charging the cavalry camp, was Rock Hudson.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The Oxbow Incident
Originally Posted by tdbob
Sorry there was no mention of Winchester '73 with James Stewart or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with John Wayne.

Winchester 73 with Stewart was so full of stupidity I couldn't tolerate it. Couldn't get past the halfway mark.
Posted By: Teal Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
I've never been able to like Quigly as much as others.

The whole crazy Cora bit - stupid. Boring. Caricature
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Though it is slightly "pre-western", I have to throw Jeremiah Johnson in the ring for consideration.
Posted By: hatari Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Metacritic obviously needed to check these boxes to get an A from their film noir professor, I am surprised Brokeback Mounting wasn't in there!

Since you brought it up, you need to check the song my buddy and Nashville song writer did for Willie Nelson. Wynn came and played at my birthday party this summer. He said he “retired” this song.

Laugh and enjoy!

Posted By: pat8386 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Hope somebody mentioned Stagecoach. The movie that established John Wayne as a serious actor.
The Crazy Cora is too stupid to be believed. Roy! STFU!

Also it is hard to believe that a guy is going to sail across the Pacific in the belief that he will be paid big bucks to shoot wild dogs. The entire plot is BS.
But Tom Selleck did look realistic as a badass cowboy.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
Most of the above and Lawman, with Burt Lancaster. 'Sketti westerns are ok, mostly for giving Clint a career, but the sound effects drive me nuts watching them. Buddy of mine used to call them "ricochet westerns". Have CDs of those, plus Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Joe Kidd and a few other Eastwood oaters. There ain't a John Ford/John Wayne flick I can't watch, especially their Cavalry Trilogy.

I have a three CD set of Selleck westerns at the cabin:Monte Walsh, Crossfire Trail and Last Stand at Sabre River. Also Quigley, but haven't watched it lately. A forty episode set of CDs, mostly Wayne's old B westerns prior to Stagecoach,

Open Range and Broken Trail. Watch them often, no longer get broadcast TV signal up there..
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/06/21
The Shootist and the second True Grit are two of my favorites.

Appaloosa starts at 7:00 (central time) on INSP, channel 364 on Directv.

Matt has to clear Miss Kitty of attempted murder first.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
There are many good westerns although a lot of us like the same ones there seems to be a different one on everyone list.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
To me, The Shootist was John Wayne's best western - JMO, and I still truly believe that Val Kilmer was robbed of an Oscar for his role as Doc Holiday.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Originally Posted by pat8386
Hope somebody mentioned Stagecoach. The movie that established John Wayne as a serious actor.

Oh yeah

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: dubePA Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
That scene always makes me think how much fun it would be, having Curly firing buckshot mere inches from my right arm, while banging away with the M92 up there?
Posted By: kennyd Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
If we can count Quigley the best Aussie settlement period movie is the Proposition. Another is the Tracker. Both with Ray Winstone.

Expanding it to British colonial could take us to Zulu
Originally Posted by slumlord

Oh yeah

I don't believe I've ever seen Stagecoach, but plan to now.
LOL
Posted By: add Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21

Oh yeah

That Slim Whitman on the reins or Gabby Hayes?
No dry West shoot-out, at high noon.

Sorry, Walter Brennan and John Wayne fans...

However, plenty of backdrop and realism in this one:

Posted By: ldholton Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Young guns I & II not not bad. I like Whaytt Earpp a bit better than Tombstone , Frank & Jesse kicks ass , bit of family & local history ..
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Monte Walsh...............either version.

The Wild Bunch

Tombstone

Lonesome Dove

MM
Posted By: joken2 Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21

Along with the many good ones already mentioned I'd add:

"Valdez is Coming"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37rrcf

Posted By: Stophel Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Originally Posted by add

Oh yeah

Neither... it's the not-too-slim Andy Devine.
I may be the only one on Earth, but I can't stand "Lonesome Dove". I have TRIED to watch it, but it is positively dreadful.

I don't think "Tombstone" is actually that great a movie in itself. It's the characters and actors that make the movie. It wouldn't be worth much if it starred anyone other than Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell. People don't really remember the movie... they remember the characters and their iconic dialogue.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
I'm watching Hang 'Em High right now.
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by add

Oh yeah

Are you sure?
I never watched lonesome dove

But I’ve seen every episode of Squidbillies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force
I may be the only one on Earth, but I can't stand "Lonesome Dove". I have TRIED to watch it, but it is positively dreadful.

[Linked Image from mandatory.com]
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Oh yeah

Are you sure?

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
Ya got me!
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
star wars ?
Posted By: MikeMcGuire Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
A Big Hand for the Little Lady. Not just a great western but one of the best movies you will ever see.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
I also liked the adaptions of Louis L'Amour's novels with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott:

The Sacketts
The Shadow Riders
Last Stand at Saber River
Crossfire Trail
The Quick and the Dead (not the goofy version with Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman)
Conagher

Some are "made for TV" movies, but still entertaining.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Since you brought it up, you need to check the song my buddy and Nashville song writer did for Willie Nelson. Wynn came and played at my birthday party this summer. He said he “retired” this song.

Laugh and enjoy!

That was pretty good, Hatari! How in the heck do you sing with a dip?
Originally Posted by dubePA
Most of the above and Lawman, with Burt Lancaster. 'Sketti westerns are ok, mostly for giving Clint a career, but the sound effects drive me nuts watching them. Buddy of mine used to call them "ricochet westerns". Have CDs of those, plus Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Joe Kidd and a few other Eastwood oaters. There ain't a John Ford/John Wayne flick I can't watch, especially their Cavalry Trilogy.

I have a three CD set of Selleck westerns at the cabin:Monte Walsh, Crossfire Trail and Last Stand at Sabre River. Also Quigley, but haven't watched it lately. A forty episode set of CDs, mostly Wayne's old B westerns prior to Stagecoach,

Open Range and Broken Trail. Watch them often, no longer get broadcast TV signal up there..

There is something about a Western where all the equines are Paso Fino or Andalusian or some Spanish /Arabian breed that cracks me up!
Posted By: cznut Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
High Plains Drifter - Open Range - Broken Trail - Unforgiven - Tombstone
Posted By: DBT Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Last of the Mohicans wasn't bad. Also bone Tomahawk, which was on the other night.
High Plains Drifter was like a cross between an episode of The Twilight Zone and a Spaghetti Western. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21

I don't think "Tombstone" is actually that great a movie in itself. It's the characters and actors that make the movie. It wouldn't be worth much if it starred anyone other than Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell. People don't really remember the movie... they remember the characters and their iconic dialogue.

not alone.... I have tried to watch it also never could make it through.....bob
High Plains Drifter was like a cross between an episode of The Twilight Zone and a Spaghetti Western. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It was straight out of The Twilight Zone as Clint Eastwood played a ghost.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Originally Posted by drover
I like the ones I watch to have at least a semblance of authenticity to them. I have never been able to stomach any of the spaghetti westerns.

My favorites, not in any particular order - with comments

Appaloosa - a darned good one, it didn't drift too far from the book but I wish that they had put just a few more backgound details in it.

The Rounders - a great western, I have known characters like those two all my life, well played.

Tombstone - Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer made it a very believeable and enjoyable movie.

The Big Country - Entertaining, all of the characters were very well played especially the one played by Burl Ives.

True Grit - the John Wayne version was entertaining but the Jeff Bridges version caught the feel of the book and the era.

The Searchers - great acting and scenery, a little hokey at times but still the best acting job John Wayne ever did.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - great movie, great acting by everyone in it.

Will Penny - another under rated movie, probably a little too true to life for most folks.

Open Range - probably the best movie Costner made, especially the gunfight at the end.

Lonesome Dove - the movie was better than the book, a rare occurance.

Monte Walsh - Jack Palance & Lee Marvin version - another great movie.

Tom Horn - slow but good.

Ulzanas Raid - great movie, one of the best Burt Lancaster ever did.

Red River - John Wayne as a very dark character - excellent.

The Gray Fox - about the last train robbery - interesting story and the star is Richard Farnsworth likely hard to find but it is worth it.

drover

+1 on the Gray Fox
Posted By: Reba Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
There are two types of Westerns, ones with John Wayne and ones without John Wayne. I enjoy the John Wayne Westerns with Ben Johnson and Harry Carrie Jr. you can bet on excellent horsemanship and teamsters.

Many many excellent Westerns without John Wayne.
West World
Back to the future III
The Burowers
Cowboys and Aliens
No Country for Old Men

Not "perfect" but worth watching
Posted By: dubePA Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
"There is something about a Western where all the equines are Paso Fino or Andalusian or some Spanish /Arabian breed that cracks me up!"

Unwritten rule for oaters: The poorer the cast, plot and the script are, the finer the horses must be.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/07/21
Support Your Local Sheriff
Originally Posted by Springcove
Support Your Local Sheriff

That is actually an excellent Western. A bit comical, but good.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/09/21
Centennial.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/09/21
Two modern Westerners that are pretty darn good:

Wind River
Hell or High Water
Posted By: KFWA Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/09/21
Following a year that has seen him play a truffle forager in Pig, a version of himself in the upcoming The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and — almost — Joe Exotic in a now-shelved drama based on hit doc series Tiger King, Nicolas Cage has signed up for something completely different.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the prolific star is to play the lead in The Old Way, marking — incredibly — his first-ever Western.

The film — heading to the film market in Toronto, where Capstone is handling international sales — sees Cage play Colton Briggs, a former gunslinger who now runs a general store and lives quietly with his family. But when a gang of outlaws murders his wife in cold blood, Briggs returns home to find his world burning. He unearths his sidearm and saddles up with an unlikely partner: his 12-year-old daughter.

---------------------------------

movie executive "didn't they make that movie already? its called The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Nick Cage - "no, its totally different, I kill guys with my 12 year old daughter!"

btw, Nick Cage as Joe Exotic is must see TV

Posted By: Whelenman Re: Near Perfect Westerns? - 09/09/21
Dances with wolves!
© 24hourcampfire