Home
Intellectual comment: Damn!

https://www.breitbart.com/environme...ing-lake-oroville-in-california-drought/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Lake Powell in Utah is down more than 140 feet. So is Lake Mead in Nevada. They're struggling to maintain flow to the generators that supply power to the entire SW US.
They gonna run out before long, Vegas gonna shut down cause of no juice.
Kinda cool looking.

Wonder what that giant concrete block with the huge cabled attached is for in the third picture.
Would be interesting to know all the cool stuff found at the bottom of the lake
We had lakes that looked like that after our droughts in ‘09 and ‘11. It was pretty amazing to see how fast they filled up after some good rain.
When ya build cities in deserts, those straws eventually run dry.
¡Fugging farmers!
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Kinda cool looking.

Wonder what that giant concrete block with the huge cabled attached is for in the third picture.

My guess would be a mooring block. Probably several connected to each other with floating buoys along the cable to tie off boats when not in use. Just guessing tho
Me too, says the Snake.

Well we do not have to worry about the dam failing like just a couple years ago.
Now would be the time to do some maintenance on it.
With Newscum as Goobonor it will never happen.

They are telling everyone to conserve Power , Water and Gas all the time they are letting Illegals flood the State and soon they will be bringing in Refugees.
Even thou we do not have water and Power to support them.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Kinda cool looking.

That's so cars and other vehicular traffic can get from one side of the lake to the other without getting wet.

wink
Posted By: RUM7 Re: CA Drought Lake Oroville Pics - 09/07/21
If it doesn't rain much this winter, we're fugged.
I have a well that is adjacent to a major river so I'm good to go. But most are in deep if the drought keeps up.
People across the nation are gonna find out just how much food came from California
Looks like some Mad Max action going on down there.

All those house boats going to be piled up on one another like a bunch of hippos at the last waning water hole.

Bunch of old folks gonna be scratching their heads wondering how their puddle dried up....in the desert.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Kinda cool looking.

That's so cars and other vehicular traffic can get from one side of the lake to the other without getting wet.

Heh, funny.

For miles and miles beyond that green suspension bridge is a burned out forest from last years North Complex Fire. The current Dixie Fire is northeast of there burning many more miles of forest and mountain communities. But hey, they saved Lake Tahoe. (sarc)

Once got buzzed by two fighter jets while crossing that bridge. Came out of nowhere, scared the crap out of me.
The Texas panhandle's main lake, Lake Meredith is only a little over 1/3 capacity. Water is getting to be a huge issue. We have plenty of water in this country if we would just move it around. Last time I suggested that on this site the idea was shouted down. Folks were worried about Zebra Mussels and German carp traveling over the divide with the water.
Amazing how two years ago, the spillway at Oroville dang near was overtopped, and WAS partly blown out.
Need to quit flushing every little squirt

If it’s yellow, let it mellow
When I was a kid (early to mid 1970s), this was a common scene across CA. Shasta, Oroville, Hetch Hetchy...there were droughts all the time and this is what the reservoirs looked like. Shasta was even worse in the mid 70s.

So when folks say it's unprecedent and it's clear evidence that global warming is going to destroy us, I have a hard time believing it. California's population has doubled since the early 70s yet the reservoirs still look about the same during drought years. Not a very good fact to confront the climate change alarmists with.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Kinda cool looking.

wink

I see what you did there. Agreed, most likely for getting to the other side. (Says guy looking at tiny pic on phone.)
Keep watering those lawns...
Coal generation and desalination plants
Originally Posted by Remsen
When I was a kid (early to mid 1970s), this was a common scene across CA. Shasta, Oroville, Hetch Hetchy...there were droughts all the time and this is what the reservoirs looked like. Shasta was even worse in the mid 70s.

So when folks say it's unprecedent and it's clear evidence that global warming is going to destroy us, I have a hard time believing it. California's population has doubled since the early 70s yet the reservoirs still look about the same during drought years. Not a very good fact to confront the climate change alarmists with.

I recall the late 70's water shortage. They closed one lane on the Golden Gate Bridge and laid a large water main across to bring water to SF from Petaluma. You also had to pay or beg for a glass of water at a restaurant and restrooms were closed at gas stations. Otherwise, we all did just as normal.
Can't imagine. Grew up where cool clear water was practically in every draw. It has been ever since too. Weather is sure nice down there though.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Out west they ought to shoot people watering yard grass or washing cars.
Originally Posted by Hastings

Swimming pools too?
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Originally Posted by Remsen

I recall the late 70's water shortage. They closed one lane on the Golden Gate Bridge and laid a large water main across to bring water to SF from Petaluma. You also had to pay or beg for a glass of water at a restaurant and restrooms were closed at gas stations. Otherwise, we all did just as normal.

Hadn't heard of that before, thanks for sharing.
Me too, says the Snake.

That pic has to have been taken at Palisades...it was down pretty hard last Fall when we were up there. Can't imagine that it's many better by now.
Originally Posted by hanco
They gonna run out before long, Vegas gonna shut down cause of no juice.

Solar power to the rescue, right?? The Green New Deal would have prevented this, everybody knows that.

/sarc
And a whole bunch if the phuggers who create the demand for those
lakes, and draw from them, want to tell me about the environment.

He'll, they are the same nitwits wanting to remove dams all over the place.
Darn shame we couldn't make them live with their wants and desires,
without affecting good Americans.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Me too, says the Snake.

That pic has to have been taken at Palisades...it was down pretty hard last Fall when we were up there. Can't imagine that it's many better by now.

Believe so, between Idaho and Jackson on US26? Not really conducive to picture taking for me! Dandy country.
Swimming pools too?
A drought is an emergency. A public water supply is public. Even an aquifer or running stream is publicly owned. I do believe filling a 20,000 gallon pool should be illegal in a water emergency. Perhaps water should be rationed to 1,000 gallons a month per person in the household and you do with it as you wish. When I was a kid we lived in northern Utah for 5 years. There were 2 acre lawns kept in lush grass all summer in that desert. 1 inch of water on an acre is well over 20,000 gallons and that was kept up all summer. My elderly cousin that lived in Borger Texas had sprinklers installed and was constantly running Lake Meredith water on his grass and then paying a man to cut it every week. Doesn't make sense to me but we have rain here.
Me too, says the Snake.

Believe so, between Idaho and Jackson on US26? Not really conducive to picture taking for me! Dandy country.

Yessiree. It's one of the few places in the region where fall colors can be seen, supposedly because of a species of maple that's prevalent. My wife loved it.

My lawn water comes from the Missouri river.

I'm just trying to help keep the oceans from rising and swallowing up shoreline.
Me too, says the Snake.

Yessiree. It's one of the few places in the region where fall colors can be seen, supposedly because of a species of maple that's prevalent. My wife loved it.

It's a fine shortcut, potatoes to Georgia and potatoes to Pennsylvania so far! Saw a bear cub cross the hwy coming up towards the dam a couple months ago. Pretty good drive compared to many other places. Slow going. Someday I hope to time it right and park overnight at the dam. Appreciate the info.
Me too, says the Snake.

It's a fine shortcut, potatoes to Georgia and potatoes to Pennsylvania so far! Saw a bear cub cross the hwy coming up towards the dam a couple months ago. Pretty good drive compared to many other places. Slow going. Someday I hope to time it right and park overnight at the dam. Appreciate the info.

Glad you think its worth checking out. Probably would beat the hell outa parking at Mud Lake.

grin
wouldn't be hard to find were the fish are in that lake
Mud Lake sounds dandy compared to the Philadelphia Produce Market!

Parked outside of there for 34 hours, then wheeled in at 0630 this morning and they wanted me to pay a $35 entrance fee! Figuring the guy is scamming me, I ever so politely declined. LOL Then saw the signs, guess it was legit! Only 5 hours later and I was unloaded and rolling! Didn't make it 30 miles as the next load, nearby in NJ, took 6+ hours!

So, yes, fond memories of trees, rocks and rivers!
Four years ago it was so full it the dam was in danger of collapse.
L. Oroville has a bunch of coho salmon. Not to mention trophy bass. Cats, trout, kokanee, they're all bunched up.

I won't fish for them. C'mon rain.
Posted By: 40O Re: CA Drought Lake Oroville Pics - 09/08/21
In Arizona you are not allowed to empty and refill your pool during a water shortage. It has never been bad enough for the gov. to crackdown on maintaining the level of the pool. Considering the amount of water that evaporates from pools, I've no doubt it is on the drawing board if things get bad enough. It will hit pretty hard as plaster cracks when left in the sun without water. Lotta people are going to be tempted to cheat a little if it comes to that.
I would post empty stock dam pics but it's too depressing.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I would post empty stock dam pics but it's too depressing.

Bummer
Kinda cool looking.

It's what they use to anchor the docks at the marinas.
Originally Posted by Morewood
L. Oroville has a bunch of coho salmon. Not to mention trophy bass. Cats, trout, kokanee, they're all bunched up.

I won't fish for them. C'mon rain.

They'll be suffocating or already are, and the warm water will "boil" them soon. It's the same at my close by local reservoir. It'll be just a small dry river channel soon.

Every summer now is hotter and dryer than any others on record.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Kinda cool looking.

It's what they use to anchor the docks at the marinas.

Thought it was an explanation like that.

LOL at the other smartassed answers above.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

Gold

That is CA for ya. I've known situations where the state told people to NOT water their lawns or it was a $500 fine...
on the other end, the City or County told the same people, if their lawns were not green and mowed, it was a $500 fine...

In Oregon, I have a pool, water the lawn daily, and run one of my cars thru the local car wash at least 3 to 4 times a week.

Lack of water isn't a problem here.. Oregon's government is screwed up..... but California's so much more.
Originally Posted by fester

Gold

All the bodies of opponents, Nancy Pelosi has had knocked off of the last 50 yrs or so...

Gold

Odds are there is a bit of it down there. I had a friend who lived above one of the arms on an old gold mine property. Lived in the mine office which was converted to a house. Still had side by side stone/gravel sluices on the seasonal creek outside the mine entrance. They'd dump their diggings in there and wait for a rain with the water directed down one side, sluice for awhile, then switch sides and pick the gold from the first side.

So I have no doubt there's likely a bit down there at the bottom of those arms of the reservoir. Likely not far from wherever a creek empties in.
Hey Boomer. Love the Hula girl. cool

But I think you need a plastic Jesus too. wink
We're not doing well here either. I just checked the water year number today and we're at just about 1/2 of normal, a little lower actually, and the new water year starts in 23 days. No rain in the forecast to speak of for the next week either.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Gold

Odds are there is a bit of it down there. I had a friend who lived above one of the arms on an old gold mine property. Lived in the mine office which was converted to a house. Still had side by side stone/gravel sluices on the seasonal creek outside the mine entrance. They'd dump their diggings in there and wait for a rain with the water directed down one side, sluice for awhile, then switch sides and pick the gold from the first side.

So I have no doubt there's likely a bit down there at the bottom of those arms of the reservoir. Likely not far from wherever a creek empties in.

They hauled a lot of dirt when the spillway broke. Damn right there’s gold in there.
Yep, lots of gold there, and under highway 20/49 in the Grass Valley area.
Somebody made money hauling that out
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Hey Boomer. Love the Hula girl. cool

But I think you need a plastic Jesus too. wink

Thanks. She's doesn't have a pretty face, so I have her turned to see a hip and a hint of ass.

Admittedly conflicted with the other.... TTYL
© 24hourcampfire