Home
Posted By: Tide_Change Couple of wildlife pics - 09/11/21

(Disclaimer - I sure ain't Cookie! These were taken shooting from the hip with a phone.)

Went on a walkabout last weekend just to get out of the house and stretch the legs for a bit.

These California bighorn rams were the first critters I spotted. I scrambled up a shale scree slope as well as I could, keeping the sage between them and me. They got nervous at about 25 yards and moved away.

[Linked Image]

Headed back to the pickup, and I noticed a couple of does crossing a nearby saddle. They stopped every so often and turned to look behind them, so I thought I'd wait and see what they were so interested in. A few minutes later I see tines developing over the horizon, and soon enough these two guys come in to view.

[Linked Image]

The next day as I'm cruising through a small town I notice a buck laying in someone's yard. First thing that crossed my mind was "That's gotta be a statue", and I drove on past. Curiosity got the best of me though, and I swung around the block. I idled up to it, rolled down the window, stared at it for a while, and then it twitched an ear. I 'bout sheit my pants trying to get the phone out. There were a lot of bucks hanging around in yards (they seem to know it's bow season), but none of them quite this caliber. Saw lots of hard horned typical 4-points (mulies, western count), but this non-typical was the only one still in full velvet.

[Linked Image]

Lot's of turkeys, whitetails, mulies, and a couple elk.

Oregon would be a great place to live if it weren't for the libtard population. Getting out of the western metro area and over to the eastern part of the state where everyone still has their Trump 2016 flags up, along with their Trump 2020 flags, and a few even sporting Trump 2024 flags makes a guy happy to know the whole state isn't fugged up.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/11/21
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/11/21
Great post. Those rams look huge.

RS
Nice!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/11/21

Tide Change, Nice pic's nice critters, Cookie, is great, on wildlife pic's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My back yard, about 100 yards from the house. Rio7
Love the drop tine!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
Great bucks
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
I enjoyed the pics and thank you for sharing them with us.

cool
Posted By: 1minute Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
Tide Change:

Good shots. With wildlife, one takes what Mother Nature serves up with the equipment in hand. If we could pose them like fruit bowls, then every shot would be perfect. Cookie's off to Montana and points in between. Reports are she got some great elk shots, but missed a wolf at about 40 ft. Too close for the lens she was packing. Neighbors have seen a couple of her recent images, but I have a flip phone I never carry, so have received no previews.

Looks like one might have been under a bit of our eastern Oregon smoke. Rained yesterday AM, so we got some breathable air today. A couple neighbors headed to Coos Bay to find some air that was safe to inhale.

Did nail a yard buck that was stealing apples a day or so before Cookie headed out. She left one camera for me, but nothing's passed through the back 40. May head over to Montana's Bison range mid month if her scouting suggests it might be worthwhile.

Have a good one and thanks for posting,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice pics! I think I’d be setting up a shed trap in my back yard
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
Thanks for sharing the pics !
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21

Nice young buck in the back yard Rio7
nice pictures. Makes a fellows blood speed up. Good for us old farts. miles

Miles, Older buck, Came in to protein feeder, first one with most of the velvet rubbed off. hunting season starts Oct. 1st, i'm seeing a lot of rubs. Rio7

Posted By: rainshot Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
Rio you've got some beautiful deer. Looks kinda like Cotulla.

Nice pictures all.

rainshot, Cotulla, is about 3 1/2 hour drive North West, from here. Rio7
Nice buck, Blue. miles
nice shots.
thanks for posting
Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Couple of wildlife pics - 09/12/21
Great pics.
Hey RIO7 - the buck with the dual eyeguards on one side looks to have an orange tint to his antlers. Is that just the way the sun is reflecting off them or has he been rubbing on something that tinted them?
1minute - I'm looking forward to seeing the pics from her trip. Too bad about the wolf, but she will always remember that scene in her head, I'll bet!

Tide Change, Mesquite, is orange under outer bark, next rub i see i'll take a picture for you. Rio7
© 24hourcampfire