Home
Just for renegade, as slumlord seems to think he has conniptions over stuff like his 2018 tuna.

Slummy posted a pic of a July '17 can.

I can top that with a can of clams with a Jan 2015 date. (Canned in '09???)

Who can beat that?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I think it might be time to make some clam sauce for some noodles!
I have some 2011 inspection date MRE's. I plan to eat them up this hunting season.
Good fer you.

but renegade wants to see pics................or it didn't happen wink
Going to dethaw some shark that's been in the freezer for about 4 yrs.
"Use before Moses parts the Red Sea."
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Thumbs up on that Rog
Got bandoleers of 8mm and boxes of .303 from the 40’s

Sorry o did not read..I suppose that doesn’t qualify as “use by”
Seriously, we have a can of Habitaint ham, and pea soup that's been around maybe ten years.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Close enough

And what kind of .303......the good Greek stuff? Genuine British maybe?

And where are the pics..............rene likes pics........so do I!
Originally Posted by pahick

Just don't let them gals of yours get a close look.

And maybe hope they're "fixed", on the pill, or no longer of child bearing age.
Does this qualify?

I just cleaned out a pantry area of old canned goods to make room for fresh supplies. Several cans with best by 2014. I didn't throw it out. The way things are going there might come a time when we are hungry enough to risk it.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Does this qualify?

That's ^^ the ticket!

Good Show Mate

Not really use by but 1961 in enbloc clips...

Isn't 'dethaw' what happens when you put them IN the freezer!?!?!?!?
I still have some frozen moose burger from 2014 at the bottom of our chest freezer. I didn't have the processor add any fat when they ground it. I used some in April and it's still good.
No use by...

But I'm eating a jar of Apple butter I made in 2014.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Close enough

And what kind of .303......the good Greek stuff? Genuine British maybe?

And where are the pics..............rene likes pics........so do I!

I’m on it...
.303 was 1945
1955 Tokarev
Originally Posted by pahick

Glad I get more pussy than that!
1947 8mm
1938 8mm
Perishable? I have Acme boots from 1962.
1938 8mm

Certifiable I was just about to pull out my two packs just like those but then I thought.......

Maybe someone could tell me how old a Nickle 22lr case is........... maybe they're not really that old, IDK.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I’d be more impressed with some 4 month old chocolate milk
Originally Posted by Muffin

Isn't 'dethaw' what happens when you put them IN the freezer!?!?!?!?
lol
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My bad they were 2010 inspection date which makes them 2007 vintage.

I think we have some stuff dated with Roman Numerals! 😁 Seriously though, we have some pretty old stuff! memtb
i got chit to eat ...dead in the 80's ....its dead to start with and it dont know..lol

Considering the age of some of the Aust Army 24 hour ration packs I have consumed I wouldn't worry too far past just checking for puffed up tins and foul odours.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’d be more impressed with some 4 month old chocolate milk

I'd let our Campfire survivor of too many medical issues taste it before I did.

That'd be you.
.303 was 1945

Cool pics of everything there.

Is that ISAA or LSAA on that package? And, have you shot any or just collecting it?
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Considering the age of some of the Aust Army 24 hour ration packs I have consumed I wouldn't worry too far past just checking for puffed up tins and foul odours.

I remember as kids in the 60's eating C or K rations (I wasn't in the Armed forces so not sure of the exact nomenclature) from WW!! and the Korean War.

Most importantly were the little packs of smokes in them, as we didn't have to steal some from the folks or get someone older to buy some for us. Or use the "Note from Mom".

I ain't dead, so they must have still been OK
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I still have some frozen moose burger from 2014 at the bottom of our chest freezer. I didn't have the processor add any fat when they ground it. I used some in April and it's still good.

How many mouse does it take to get a pound of burger?
Originally Posted by AZmark

Kind of depends on whether you gut the little buggers first.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by AZmark

Kind of depends on whether you gut the little buggers first.

I always gut them. Makes the drag so much easier. grin
We cycle through old cans regularly.

We also have about 6 months worth of the long (20 year) life dried foods. I have not tried it. Not sure how good the stuff is but I consider it last resort.
Nothing nearly as old as some of you have.
Just opened a jar of Vegemite, last week, that expired Nov 2016 !

Called 'er good !
Don't have a date on the box, but I have some Hornady .25 caliber 120 grain HPs with a price sticker of $6.95.

Had a quart of a commercial brand liquid smoke I bought back in the early '90s -- just threw away what was left of it last year.

Mother-in-law always kept gardens and canned and froze a lot of stuff. After she passed back in the late '90s we cleaned out her huge old chest type deep freezer and found packages of stuff down near the bottom dated as early as the mid-'50s.
When we were kids hunting on my great uncle's farm up in the panhandle we found some canned stuff from the 30s in a root cellar on the old homestead. My dad opened them and they still smelled and looked good but we didn't eat them.
Originally Posted by joken2

Had a quart of a commercial brand liquid smoke I bought back in the early '90s -- just threw away what was left of it last year.

Mother-in-law always kept gardens and canned and froze a lot of stuff. After she passed back in the late '90s we cleaned out her huge old chest type deep freezer and found packages of stuff down near the bottom dated as early as the mid-'50s.

Ha, that's what garndmas do. That is why I go root to the bottom every time the grandma I live with sends me to get something from the freezer.
I had some20lb bags of rice in my utility room that go back to 2010. Last year the drain pipe from my kitchen sink disconnected and as a result dripped water thru the sub flooring for a few weeks before we caught it. I didn't realize the rice had got wet until about 2 months ago my wife opened up her box of laundry detergent on the basement floor and it had several rice weevils in it. Started looking around and there were hundreds of them around the rice bags. Ended up throwing out about 100 pounds of rice and bombing the basement to kill them off.

I hoped I never had to eat hat rice after it was about 7 years old but I wasn't going to throw it out thinking it was still sealed dry in its bag. Never know when the apocalypse would hit
Got some Wild turkey 100 proof, tax stamp on cork says 1963 does that count? I do use it for medicinal purposes quite regularly.
Going to dethaw some shark

'Dethaw', huh? <slowly shakes head in amazement>

Geno, just last week I had some Japanese tea and thought the taste, while OK, was a bit off. Checked the tin. 'Best used by' date was 2001...
Originally Posted by KFWA
I had some20lb bags of rice in my utility room that go back to 2010. Last year the drain pipe from my kitchen sink disconnected and as a result dripped water thru the sub flooring for a few weeks before we caught it. I didn't realize the rice had got wet until about 2 months ago my wife opened up her box of laundry detergent on the basement floor and it had several rice weevils in it. Started looking around and there were hundreds of them around the rice bags. Ended up throwing out about 100 pounds of rice and bombing the basement to kill them off.

I hoped I never had to eat hat rice after it was about 7 years old but I wasn't going to throw it out thinking it was still sealed dry in its bag. Never know when the apocalypse would hit

You need chickens or pigs to use up that kind of stuff.
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Got some Wild turkey 100 proof, tax stamp on cork says 1963 does that count? I do use it for medicinal purposes quite regularly.

Isn't the expiration date on anything 100 proof basically "use before the sun burns out".
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Geno, just last week I had some Japanese tea and thought the taste, while OK, was a bit off. Checked the tin. 'Best used by' date was 2001...

I think he meant to say ... defreeze.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Isn't the expiration date on anything 100 proof basically "use before the sun burns out".

That would depend on how well the cork held up.

Hey, man was thinking defrost when I wrote that.
Found some canned Tamales that are expired the other day. Expired last year. Should be good to go. 🤠

Oh, you mean like what I do to my truck windshield 8 out of 12 months.
Originally Posted by mathman

That would depend on how well the cork held up.

Don't they call that the Angels share.

No, the Angels get theirs while the spirit is in the barrel.

yes, then I realized thaw was the correct word but had already typed the de, and didn't proofread it.

yes, then I realized thaw was the correct word but had already typed the de, and didn't proofread it.

Wow, all that in a mere fraction of second. You're like a savant. wink

I've hear dethaw, unthaw. I say that when I put something IN the freezer!

You can't be too regular if it's 56 years old.

Unless it's a regular shot, every other decade.
Originally Posted by mathman

No, the Angels get theirs while the spirit is in the barrel.

I guess they are picky.
Lol
© 24hourcampfire