Home
Posted By: ironbender Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
It pains me say this about a Clint movie, but it was a disappointment.
Posted By: add Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
More hispanic propaganda....
Originally Posted by ironbender

In what way?

Poorly written? Poorly directed? Poorly acted? Just a bad movie all around?
I bet noisy groids in the theater ruined the picture show.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

In what way?

Poorly written? Poorly directed? Poorly acted? Just a bad movie all around?

Yes.

Not a Clint flick.
Originally Posted by slumlord

One other couple for the geezer show.

Not many black folks up there where he lives.
Thanks,

I was hoping a decent movie would come along for once.
Love the Clintster, but he done.
Thanks,

Cop Shop seems like it will be entertaining for the dumbness in it.
Thanks,

Cop Shop seems like it will be entertaining for the dumbness in it.

Dumbness movies get waited on until they hit the TV waves. I ain't paying for theater tickets for that. I'm cheap!
Clint was done by 1980 but I dont watch anything after Pale Rider in 1985. I gave it an extra chance with Unforgiven but it was disappointing so that ended that.
Trailer I saw he still punches like Philo Beddoe.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Trailer I saw he still punches like Philo Beddoe.

Stunt double!
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Clint was done by 1980 but I dont watch anything after Pale Rider in 1985. I gave it an extra chance with Unforgiven but it was disappointing so that ended that.
I thought Unforgiven and Gran Torino were OK.

He hadn’t even finished all the Dirty Harry films in 1980.

You’ve missed a bunch of great movies.
I thought Million Dollar Baby and Bridges of Madison County sucked.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

This thread is not about either of those films.

This thread is not about either of those films.
Just goes to prove Clint has been capable of crap for some time.

Not many black folks up there where he lives.

Buncha howling injuns out for hair!

Go lay down.

Unforgiven was a masterpiece.
I didn't mind it but Clint is getting so old that I am afraid that he is going to really die in the next one. I don't think that he will mind his last movie dancing with the Mexican widow in the movie.
Posted By: poboy Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
A chitty Clint flick would beat hollywood's best by a mile.
Hope to see on T.V. soon.
Posted By: DMc Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
Thanks for the review ironbender. Appreciate being saved the disappointment.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
I just finished the book on Kindle, and got the same impression. Meh. What's the point and where is this going? Anticlimactic ending. Perhaps there is a deeper theme that I missed.

Haven't seen the movie and probably won't, so I don't know what's in it, but the book has a couple of sexual parts that are just plain sick. I don't have a problem with sex as long as it is the context of the story, but these were unnecessary.
The old woman wants to see this. Thanks for the heads up.
I thought Unforgiven and Gran Torino were OK.

You two are gay.
i haven't been to a movie in ________
Posted By: ribka Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Go lay down.

It sure was. So was Gran Torino and minion dollar baby were very good too

Clint should have used robot horses that turned into tanks, race cars and/or jets to appease the masses
Posted By: MOGC Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21

I thought The Mule was a let down also. I won't spend money on Cry Macho, I'll wait until it hits somewhere it can be streamed free.
Originally Posted by poboy

For sure. It wasn’t bad, but very slow moving.
Saw it last night in my quaint little country town theater. Full house, meaning, maybe 60-70 attendees. No one talked, no one’s phone rang, and you can bring beer in if you want (hell, friends brought a pony keg to a warren miller flick once).

Enjoyed it. In typical Clint fashion, there is scant dialogue, and more visual expression. Liked the clever use of subtitling spanish when they chose to, and then not subtitling, according to the scene. There were a handful of scenes that were a subtle homage to Clint, “might be my last ride,” thought were wonderful. Use of color and cinematography where nice. Liked how they set it in 1979 (?), thereby side-stepping a lot of modern distractions and politics, if favor of the story. There were some bits of the story that are improbable, sure. Suspend disbelief a moment for 90-some year old Clint to break horses. But even that was charming; there was a time when theater actors played roles independent of age, gender, etc, so what the hell. It still worked, and itself was kind of a wink to Clint’s western film history. Can’t stand the [bleep] excuse for acting that is dwight yokum - but even at that, it served it’s purpose sort of appropriately.

Am not a latinophile in the least, but nonetheless enjoyed the journey. Made me kind of sad that will likely never enjoy seeing that modern-chithole of a country; a pretty film in ways. Anyway, not saying it was the best storyline, but nor was it poor; Clint and the execution of the film i really enjoyed as it was. Sounds like some folks can’t appreciate a plot or conclusion more subtle than a tom clancy novel, but hey, different folks different strokes.
I also wonder if Clint really is that stove up now, or is that was simply portraying an old bronc rider.
Guy is 90.
Never seen a 90yo that wasn’t stove up. Most hardly shuffle.

I’ll watch it, though my expectations are low. They’ve been low for the most part over the last decade or two.
Clint apparently was a workout warrior . He was pretty lean and mean in his bare knuckle fighting movies
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Guy is 90.
Never seen a 90yo that wasn’t stove up. Most hardly shuffle.

I’ll watch it, though my expectations are low. They’ve been low for the most part over the last decade or two.

True. This character is much older than in The Mule.

Hope it’s the character.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i haven't been to a movie in ________

Three or four years.

Thanks for the tip.

I figured it would. Looks like just another pandering propaganda "life lesson".
Posted By: Huntz Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
I will go see it anyway.Never saw a CE movie I did`nt like.
I’ll go see it even though I feel like I already have.

I’ve known quite a few Mexican Mexicans, most were good people. Not everything that portrays them positively gotta be propaganda. The down side is though it ain’t safe anymore to visit the good Mexicans in Mexico most places anymore because of the bad ones. Krp notwithstanding.

A critic said Clint’s friend Bradley Cooper woulda been more suited to the role, prob’ly true

Yep. Any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

Go lay down.

Bull Scat
Posted By: hanco Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/18/21
I’ll wait for TV
Originally Posted by Huntz
I will go see it anyway.Never saw a CE movie I did`nt like.

Same here.
Bronco Billy was pretty good

With Scatman Crothers
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’ll go see it even though I feel like I already have.

I just saw it. I was wrong, I hadn’t seen this movie.

I found it a charming good-hearted yarn, and if ya gotta “suspend disbelief” as they say several times it prob’ly ain’t as bad in that regard as the Sicario movies or most Westerns.

Nothing in it about evil White guys or racial injustice or illegal immigration whatever, no homosexuals either.

And Clint? I swear he don’t look a day over 80.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/19/21
I will be watching it sooner or later.

I remember years ago when I realized the Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery and my Dad were all the same age. All born between May and Sept of 1930. When you realize that Dad is the same age as Dirty Harry and James Bond it puts him in a different light.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Clint apparently was a workout warrior . He was pretty lean and mean in his bare knuckle fighting movies

youre thinking of "Heartbreak Ridge"

Go lay down.

Lol. grin

Just finished watching. Sadly, I'm going to have to agree with Mike. Calling it slow-moving is being kind.

Another thing: The first third of the movie I thought Clint looked and sounded horrible. He was talking with a death rattle like somebody 105 years old in their deathbed. And watching him walk was painful.

Just to see Clint in a movie and for entertainment sake? Ok, fine. But this one isn't going to be winning any awards.
Posted By: add Re: Saw “Cry Macho” Tonight - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by BobBrown

youre thinking of "Heartbreak Ridge"

A few choice scenes,,,, but that was a clunker.
only good 90 yr old in a movie was Burgess Merideth

#provemewrong

I saw it Friday night. I'll give you that. It was pretty slow, but I didn't think it was bad. The basic story was ok.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
only good 90 yr old in a movie was Burgess Merideth

#provemewrong

Remember Paulie’s robot?
Because of the Covidmania over the past year Warner Bros. Pictures struck a deal that through 2021 all new theater releases will have a simultaneous 31 day streaming run on HBO Max. A one month $14.99 subscription in October will get the new Clint Eastwood film Cry Macho, The Many Saint of Newark and the new Dune flick. It might even get the new fourth Matrix which releases in December if one plays the dates right....? Not too bad a deal really.

We bought HBO Max last night to watch Cry Macho...got so [bleep] drunk cause it so [bleep] sucked...HBO MAX better step up with Many Saints of Newark and Dune or I'm gonna be a certified dumb ass...
© 24hourcampfire