Home
Posted By: steve4102 Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
My LGS just got some primers in, Rem 6 1/2 @ $7.95/100 limit 2.

When I saw them behind the counter I was pleasantly surprised they finally got in some SR primers and my favorite 7 1/2 to boot. That is until I took a closer look and saw they were 6 1/2, told the guy, “nope no thanks, those are for the low pressure 22 Hornet “ and left with nothing.

Would you guys use the 6 1/2 in your 223/5.56 AR with floating firing pin?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
I only use 7.5 primers in my AR.
Do you know, are those primers newly manufactured by Remington, or are they old inventory.
I hope the former and that Rem 7.5 will be on the shelves soon.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by dale06
I only use 7.5 primers in my AR.
Do you know, are those primers newly manufactured by Remington, or are they old inventory.
I hope the former and that Rem 7.5 will be on the shelves soon.

They just got them in, so All I know is they are new stock to them.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
I love the 6.5s in my Hornets, and I suppose you could use them in small pistol cases, if you can't find any small pistol primers.
While Remington claimed their 7.5s were benchrest primers, I cannot get good accuracy with them, compared to Federal 205s or 205Ms, or, for that matter, WSRs. They do have a hard cup, so they have that going for them, but beyond that, I haven't much use for them.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
I wouldn't use them in an AR, but would in moderate .223 loads in a bolt gun, or a pistol or revolver, if that’s all I had, treating it just like I would any primer substitution.

Wouldn’t mind having some to try in my Hornet with some powders as well, but wouldn’t pay $8 just yet, for more than a couple flats for “educational” purposes anyway. Time will tell if the “new normal” pricing some always predict during these crunches will actually become a reality. $8 is about what I saw locally during the last one.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I love the 6.5s in my Hornets, and I suppose you could use them in small pistol cases, if you can't find any small pistol primers.
While Remington claimed their 7.5s were benchrest primers, I cannot get good accuracy with them, compared to Federal 205s or 205Ms, or, for that matter, WSRs. They do have a hard cup, so they have that going for them, but beyond that, I haven't much use for them.

That’s odd that you haven’t had good luck with R 7 1/2’s, that’s pretty much all I’ve used for decades in small rifle. Tried others but always came back to the 7 1/2’s. Using double based powder like Accurate 2230.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
7.5's give me great accuracy in most of my 17 and 20 cals, tried 6.5's about 15 years ago in a 222 rem mag and would Pierce about 3 out of 10.
Posted By: krp Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
6.5 are for low pressure rifle, 222 and above is to much pressure, or substitute for small pistol if you don't have any.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
6.5 are for low pressure rifle, 222 and above is to much pressure, or substitute for small pistol if you don't have any.

Kent

This is what my past reading revealed. Forget the numbers, but noted one could get away with up to a lightly loaded .222 perhaps, but things like the hornet, 32-20/25-20 are it’s intended application.

Suppose you could buy some extra ar firing pins, but. (Kidding)
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/18/21
Ratsmacker: I have used Remington 7 1/2 primers in a bunch of my Rifles for many decades now and always lacked nothing in the way of accuracy attributable to them.
For instance I use Remington 7 1/2's in all three of my 17 Remington Varmint Rifles.
The ONLY reason I use Federal 205 Match primers in the vast majority of my Varmint/target Rifles is because they are (were!) easier to find - thankfully I have a lifetime supply of Federal 205 Match primers in stock.
I am old enough to remember when Remington 7 1/2 primers and Remington 52 grain match bullets won many a Bench Rest Match!
If you hav'em I would not give up on'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I find myself often hoping that "Big Green" will rise up from it's self inflicted death and regain its once held, glorious place, as a fine American gun/component maker.
Tag
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/25/21
I don't have a problem using Remington 6 1/2's in my AR's in .223 or in 300BO. Been using them off and on for quite a few years, too.

Checking my "stash", I have about 600 of them in the cabinet, main use is range loads.

I don't load "barn burner" loads under them, but I ain't a shy fellow when it comes to reloading!
Posted By: deflave Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/25/21
Why don’t you buy them and find out?
I just went downstairs to check a box of Remington 6 1/2 primers and this is what is printed on the side of the box: Do not use 6 1/2 small rifles primers in high intensity rifle cartridges such as the 17 Rem, 222 Rem., or 223 Rem. I use them in my 22 Hornet and 218 Bee. I will not use the 6 1/2 in my AR's under any circumstances. Nor will I use them in 223 bolt gun that are used for Prairie Dogs.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/26/21
Yep, its written on the box. 222 Rem pressure is about 38K, I think 223 starting loads are about 39K. (Those are with 55gr projos.) About the only bad thing that happens is you could get a ruptured primer which will erode your bolt face/firing pin chamber if you had a bunch. I don't recall having ruptured primers with my loads, but can understand one taking the stance that they won't use them. I won't buy anymore of them. I have plenty of other primers to use but I will shoot these up! I also use them in my 9mm AR.

BTW, the 6 1/2 Rem primers haver a cup thickness of .020, CCI 400 has a cup thickness of .020 and in a abundance of caution, neither is recommended for AR's. (I have been loading and shooting almost a half century and have never had a slam fire in a AR.) Winchester are .021, CCI BR .025, Fed 205 are .0225 (both reg and magnum). So pick whatever lets you sleep at night.

You can find plenty of primer comparison charts online with a simple search.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by deflave

I have about 2K of them, I'm just not stupid enough to use them in an AR, You?
Posted By: deflave Re: Remington 6 1/2 Primers - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by deflave

I have about 2K of them, I'm just not stupid enough to use them in an AR, You?

So why ask?
© 24hourcampfire