Home
Picked up a couple boxes of this stuff at Sportsman's the other day, .270 Win 145gr ELD-X. I'm not familiar with this bullet. Supposedly quite accurate, anyone have real world experience with it on game?
yep. The eldx works very good. Taken a lot of animals with it. Typical shoots very well out of most rifles

I personally would not take a hard quartering away shot on an elk with it but a broad side every day. Great round for deer sized game
Maybe for squirrels and sich.
My hunting party uses the eldx extensively. 7mm Rem Mag 162 grain and 7mm-08 150 grain. Elk, deer, antelope. Great performance.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Maybe for squirrels and sich.

My tests with a 6.5 Creed, indicate exactly that Jim....at least with a fairly high bullet impact velocity! memtb
What's wrong with a 130 core-loc.
Is this there all copper bullet or is that the GMX?
No, tipped cup&core
Originally Posted by NVhntr
No, tipped cup&core

Thank you sir
Pretty explosive if impact is fairly fast. I would avoid shoulder shots. Edk
Originally Posted by ERK
Pretty explosive if impact is fairly fast. I would avoid shoulder shots. Edk

I killed a big mature 6x6 bull with a shoulder shot at about 150 yards, 162 eldx at 3000 fps mv from a 7mm Rem Mag, bullet performed admirably.

What was your experience?

P
Elk and whitetail with 143x from 6.5 prc. Explosive without a shoulder hit. Edk
6.5 PRC is really humming along.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

They work just fine, but they're 'old school'.

Hadn't got a classy name.
Federal TBT is a better bullet
ELD-X is just a sleeker (higher BC) version of the SST.
Cup and core construction, with an Interlock ring that’s supposed to keep the jacket locked to the core. If the impact velocity is high enough to mushroom the bullet beyond the interlock ring, the core separates. I’ve had good luck with the ELD-X and SST at less than 2500 fps impact velocity. Nice mushrooms, if you happen to recover the bullet and don’t blow it up by hitting any major bones. Above 2700 fps, I usually find the jacket against the offside hide. Core is no where to be found, but the animal is still dead.

Great prices for what you get. High BC and good accuracy. For < 500 yard shots, I’m not sure if it matters.

I’ve loaded a lot of .264 143 and .277 145 ELD 2nds from MidwayUSA. RL26 gives 2850 in 6.5 Creed/143gr and 3100 in 270 Win/145gr. 24” barrels. For shorter range hunting (sub 200 yds) I load at 2700 and 2900 fps, respectively, using H4350.

If you can find Hornady American Whitetail 130gr factory for 270 Win, get some. Awesome accuracy and deadly on deer/hogs. Plus cheaper than the Precision Hunter with ELD-X. IMO even better than Core-Lokt.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

They work just fine, but they're 'old school'.

Hadn't got a classy name.

Maybe not a classy name, but definitely a classy description. “Deadliest mushroom in the woods.”

When Remington went bankrupt and the Arkansas plant shut down, Whitetail deer everywhere were relieved. Now that Vista Outdoors brought them back from bankruptcy, I’m starting to see hunting ammo on the shelf over last last month or so.
Originally Posted by Stammster
If the impact velocity is high enough to mushroom the bullet beyond the interlock ring, the core separates.

Would short range shots be ill-advised then? Claimed MV is 2970fps.

I bought it because it was available, and fairly priced ($45). I'm new to the cartridge as well as the bullet.
Good deer bullet
^^^
It will still work. Don’t over think it, especially if it shoots good groups in your gun. Aim for the boiler room and pull the trigger.

I just wouldn’t shoot an elk in the shoulder with it at close range...but then again I wouldn’t do that with any cup and core bullet.

It’s a great all around 270 Win choice for whitetail, pronghorn, and I dare say elk...especially when you might need to stretch it out beyond 300 yds. Up close there are just cheaper options, but nothing wrong with the ELD-X as long as you don’t have expectations the interlock feature will always result in a perfectly intact mushroom.
While not the 270 version, I have been using the Precision Hunter/143 Gr. ELD-X in my 6.5 Creedmoor for the past 5 seasons on whitetail deer and one pig here in the Carolinas with no concerns . I haven't tried to break shoulders , they have pulped the heart/lungs and all have exited but one (head on shot , bullet terminated somewhere in the gut pile) .
Ranges have been from 85 yards to 237 yards, most recipients drop in their tracks, one did slide about 5 yards downhill and the pig ran less than 10 yards.
Small sample size I know; I'll keep using the remainder of the case that I purchased in 2017 as my Tikka T3X loves the stuff and it works well for my applications.
Obviously YMMV.

StarchedCover

Well, if we’re talking about bullets for handloading, the last few times I looked at the prices for both Remington and Winchester, they were as high or higher than from the bullet companies, and that for very ordinary C&C bullets. In times past, places like
Grafs often had them at very low prices.

If we’re talking loaded ammunition, I never got the accuracy from regular-grade factory ammo as I got from even my very early shoddy handloads. A small sampling, to be sure, but once I started cobbling up my own, I’ve never looked back. Maybe the difference is not very significant under my hunting conditions, but it’s there. Some of that might be associated with brass being fire-formed in my chambers, or my usual practice of partial FLSing, but no matter. Recently, even some so-called Match ammo has been only so-so. I also read a lot of reviews of factory ammo, and some of them are pretty depressing especially considering what it costs these days. If you find some that works well for you, have at it.
Originally Posted by Stammster
^^^
It will still work. Don’t over think it, especially if it shoots good groups in your gun. Aim for the boiler room and pull the trigger.

I just wouldn’t shoot an elk in the shoulder with it at close range...but then again I wouldn’t do that with any cup and core bullet.

It’s a great all around 270 Win choice for whitetail, pronghorn, and I dare say elk...especially when you might need to stretch it out beyond 300 yds. Up close there are just cheaper options, but nothing wrong with the ELD-X as long as you don’t have expectations the interlock feature will always result in a perfectly intact mushroom.
I've killed nilgai with the 130gr core lokt's high shoulder shot 60 yards, bullet under the offside hide. drt.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

143gr ELD-X, 6.5 CM, buck antelope quartering towards, 168 yards, 2700fps.
Two antelope bucks, 5 blacktail bucks, a bear. All fell straight down on their feet. Works for me
Thanks to all
© 24hourcampfire