Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Removing a rock - 09/19/21
In July, 2020, a massive rock came down off a hill in central Idaho, blocking US 95 north of the town of Riggins. The rock was blown up in Nov. and repairs completed this summer. I stumbled across this short video of them blowing up the pebble in the road. I wonder what Tannerite would have done.

Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
What you dont see is the holes drilled into the rock and the explosives put into the rock. If they were just place on the outside of the rock, not much would have happened.

Not familiar with shaped charges, but I kinda doubt that's what was used.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
They could have drilled them from the back.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
Must have used a 6.5 Creedmore.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
The stuff they use looks like a 3"x14" white salami shaped tube incased explosive, the crew I watched drilled 8' deep holes and dropped 1 full stick + a half with an ignitor tube inserted, than they would pour a couple buckets of pea gravel in the holes to cover it up, the area they were blasting was 100yds wide by approx 200 long it would start a ripple wave 3' high roaring down the field it was something to watch!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
surprising it took 3-4 months. Colorado DOT jumps on that stuff
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
The stuff they use looks like a 3"x14" white salami shaped tube incased explosive, the crew I watched drilled 8' deep holes and dropped 1 full stick + a half with an ignitor tube inserted, than they would pour a couple buckets of pea gravel in the holes to cover it up, the area they were blasting was 100yds wide by approx 200 long it would start a ripple wave 3' high roaring down the field it was something to watch!

holes 8 ft apart?
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
Was there 2 days ago. Cleaned up nice now!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Removing a rock - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

holes 8 ft apart?

No I don't remember the spacing but they had 4 drill rigs that would drill for a week than the blast!
Posted By: Rt50blaster Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
Glad we dont blast boulders any more. Hope there was nothing around because that can be rediculously dangerous. Ive shot large boulders that simply vaporize. Used to make my ass draw up every time i hit the button. 21+ years in construction blasting and dont care if i ever shoot another boulder.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
The video was the 1st blast and it threw rocks all over the equipment left there. It said that they had to do more blasting to break up the pieces. Some of those pieces appeared to be truck sized.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by Rt50blaster
Glad we dont blast boulders any more. Hope there was nothing around because that can be rediculously dangerous. Ive shot large boulders that simply vaporize. Used to make my ass draw up every time i hit the button. 21+ years in construction blasting and dont care if i ever shoot another boulder.

That's exactly how I feel about crackheads and sniveling malcontents. Some things just get old.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
No crackheads around here anymore
All heroin shooters, and smoking pot
waiting on the train
Posted By: 700LH Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
That was good to see
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Removing a rock - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by Sycamore
surprising it took 3-4 months. Colorado DOT jumps on that stuff
Luckily they had a good detour road. It's been used before and since. Back in the 70's, they had a mud slide there that took 2 years to dry out enough to deal with it. They build a new highway over the top of it. This summer they had another mud slide a couple miles from there. The highway is in a canyon with very unstable hills.
© 24hourcampfire