Home
Posted By: kenster99 who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/19/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MarkWV Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/19/21
Patty Hearst, Palestine Liberation Organization or something like that?
Posted By: Osky Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/19/21
Oh yeah.
Once again the wealthy got off scot free if I recall.

Osky
Sibionese Liberation Army. I was on the grenade range 210 Charlie (?) at Pendleton when they told us Hearst had been captured.
Have another poster somewhere, shes toting an M1 carbine with folding stock if I remember correctly.
She hot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: EdM Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/20/21
Remember it well growing up nearby.
I do.
Yep.
yes
Tania! I wonder what was the point of the SLA? Remember that it was in the news a lot.
Posted By: 700LH Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/20/21
Watched the final shootout live on TV
Yeah
I remember how, like Vietnam, it was all they ever talked about while preempting my favorite programming on all 3 channels. Made me so mad.
The Hearst's other estate, Wyntoon...near me at McCloud CA was visited by the FBI when they were searching for Patti. Local gossip and rumor had everybody around here figuring that she was never kidnapped, was in fact, sympathetic and maybe an SLA member. How hard the FBI searched the 76,000 acres was in doubt, since they were in suits and ties and sedans. Local coffee shop experts claimed the FBI was doing a dog and pony show, pure kabuki theatre to further the idea that she was kidnapped and brainwashed as defense scam, since it was nearly inevitable that she would be caught. Can't have billionaire heiresses going to prison, now can we? Only Patti knows the troof.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Watched the final shootout live on TV

So did I. I have a good friend, retired LAPD, who told me he was involved in that shootout. He said many of the cops there shot so many rounds they ran out of ammo. Had to send back to the station for more "bullets." Sounds like those cops had a lot of fun that day. grin

That incident caused the LAPD brass to form up a new unit for handling such incidents. They called it "SWAT."

L.W.
Just a pup, but it was big news.
Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland’s Thompson Gun and bought it.
I was in college and working in '74 when that started.
That was about ALL that was on TV or in the papers.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The Hearst's other estate, Wyntoon...near me at McCloud CA was visited by the FBI when they were searching for Patti. Local gossip and rumor had everybody around here figuring that she was never kidnapped, was in fact, sympathetic and maybe an SLA member. How hard the FBI searched the 76,000 acres was in doubt, since they were in suits and ties and sedans. Local coffee shop experts claimed the FBI was doing a dog and pony show, pure kabuki theatre to further the idea that she was kidnapped and brainwashed as defense scam, since it was nearly inevitable that she would be caught. Can't have billionaire heiresses going to prison, now can we? Only Patti knows the troof.

Sure wouldn’t surprise me.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I was in college and working in '74 when that started.
That was about ALL that was on TV or in the papers.

I was a freshman in HS. Remember it well.
Originally Posted by GAGoober

Talkin' about the man!
I was a kid and thought it ridiculous.
Still do.

Fuggin rich whacko.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
She hot

I was cleaning a co-worker's Uzi when my 9 year old Cambodian niece walked through the garage wearing my Army black beret. One sheet hung from the garage door and a can of spray-paint later, we recreated that photo.
Didn’t the defense use the Helsinki Syndrome as a key reason to find Hearst not guilty?

🦫
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by FatCity67
She hot

I was cleaning a co-worker's Uzi when my 9 year old Cambodian niece walked through the garage wearing my Army black beret. One sheet hung from the garage door and a can of spray-paint later, we recreated that photo.

Timeless image to say the least.
Posted By: okie Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/20/21
I remember that well....
Like yesterday.

She got off waaaay too easy imho.
Originally Posted by GAGoober

One of my favorite Warren Zevon songs if not my favorite. Least we not forget Roland was headless.

My former grandfather-in-law actually designed (engineered) the Thompson for the Colonel. I got to fire #3 one time.

Yeah, I was a junior in HS when the whole Patty Hearst thing went down and we had a few big discussions about it in my Civics class. She was not well thought-of in the Deep South.
"At her trial, the prosecution suggested that Hearst had joined the Symbionese Liberation Army of her own volition. However, she testified that she had been raped and threatened with death while held captive. In 1976, she was convicted for the crime of bank robbery and sentenced to 35 years in prison, later reduced to 7 years. Her sentence was commuted by President Jimmy Carter, and she was later pardoned by President Bill Clinton."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Hearst

Posted By: Nykki Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/20/21
I graduated high school in 74 was stationed on Ft. Wainwright when she went to trial.
Our family was on a 2 week vacation in Cali during the hunt of PH. We visited The Hurst Castle and did a couple of their tours. The next day the entrance of Hearst Castle was bombed by the PLO.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Didn’t the defense use the Helsinki Syndrome as a key reason to find Hearst not guilty?

🦫

I believe it was the Stockholm syndrome.

But I wouldn’t discount Oslo either.
11 yrs old.
Remember the stupid schit interrupting TV programs.

She got over like a fat rat.....
I was 12 and remember it well.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: who remembers this fiasco ? - 09/20/21
She was kidnapped and raped.
Carter pardoned her.
She married a prison guard.
She had been through enough.
First time the lawyers and psychs tried to apply the Stockholm Syndrome to cover why she was robbing banks and shooting up people. Don't think the jury bought a lot of it.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

I believe it was the Stockholm syndrome.

But I wouldn’t discount Oslo either.

Thanks...I knew it was some syndrome. Laffin

🦫
Heineken Syndrome.
Fresh out of the Regular Army, married, wife preggers, 21 yrs old! smile I remember the Two or One Million? dollars worth of free food for the homeless as "ransom" for her, and hardly anyone came and got it! Big goat diddling.
Was 10 years old, i remember it being on the news and my family arguing
about whether or not she was brainwashed into doing it,or it was some kind
of cover up for a rich nut job.
Yeah, and the jokes!
' Have you had the new Hearst Burger ?? Open up the buns and there's no Patty inside ! "
Kenster99: I remember getting paid to look for that trollop!
Scammer - I suspected at the time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire