Home
Posted By: Birdwatcher Major cold front - 09/22/21
OK “Less Warm” Front.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology estimates more’n half a billion migrating birds flying south tonight thru tomorrow. I expect the Corpus Christi Hawk watch oughtta top 15,000 passing overhead 9 to 5.

https://birdcast.info/

Left school at dusk and a little male kestrel was passing over looking for a place to put down, first one of the year.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Supposed to get down to 55 here tonight. It was 102 here yesterday.

Hope it brings down some northern Doves. 🤠
Posted By: mathman Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
I have a pot of chicken and andouille gumbo simmering right now. It'll eat quite well for the next couple of days.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
39 in west central Ia. Had to close the windows!
Posted By: hanco Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Hasn’t hit here, 95 yesterday
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
37 here at the house - mid 80's today.
Temp probably will drop a little lower as sunrise gets here.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
I laugh at the cold. Hahahah ... I earned my chilblain toes!
Ooooh sounds bad ... I hope the wind turbines hold out! wink
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
OK “Less Warm” Front.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology estimates more’n half a billion migrating birds flying south tonight thru tomorrow. I expect the Corpus Christi Hawk watch oughtta top 15,000 passing overhead 9 to 5.

https://birdcast.info/

Left school at dusk and a little male kestrel was passing over looking for a place to put down, first one of the year.

Web site is pretty darn cool.

In case anyone missed it. great site here https://windy.com
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
We live in northeast Missouri and about 2 weeks ago the hummingbirds were drinking 1 gallon of sugar water every 3 days. It's hard to make an accurate count of them at the feeders but there were close to 30. Now they've dropped back to 8 that I counted yesterday and I imagine the ones I see now are moving ahead of the cold. My latest recorded hummingbird was October 9th a couple of years ago. I sure enjoy seeing them.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
We live in northeast Missouri and about 2 weeks ago the hummingbirds were drinking 1 gallon of sugar water every 3 days. It's hard to make an accurate count of them at the feeders but there were close to 30. Now they've dropped back to 8 that I counted yesterday and I imagine the ones I see now are moving ahead of the cold. My latest recorded hummingbird was October 9th a couple of years ago. I sure enjoy seeing them.

They are off to Mexico to get netted and stuffed. I guess they think they make good love charms down there. Sad.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mexico+hummingbird+trade
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Birdie, help me out here. That web site shows Nocturnal migration. Call me ignorant, but I always thought that they flew in the day time. Do they fly at night and rest in the day, or do they fly day and night? I never really noticed migrating birds at night.

That cold front is supposed to roll through here tonight. Hopefully it'll flush out all of this humidity. I'm ready for Fall so that I can get out there and kill some deer. It's been way too hot up until now.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Birdie, help me out here. That web site shows Nocturnal migration. Call me ignorant, but I always thought that they flew in the day time. Do they fly at night and rest in the day, or do they fly day and night? I never really noticed migrating birds at night.

That cold front is supposed to roll through here tonight. Hopefully it'll flush out all of this humidity. I'm ready for Fall so that I can get out there and kill some deer. It's been way too hot up until now.

Birdwatcher probably knows better than I but I suspect it is species dependent.

Hard to see birds at night.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Hummingbirds are frantically feeding here. Woke up to the low 60's this morning in East Texas. They'll probably be leaving soon.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Already here in Tn.
Last 3 or 4 hrs it came in.

Nice and cool for ftcky deer opener on saturday.

H bird buzzed me couple days ago while I was smoking a ciggertte.
Blew a big ole cloud of smoke on it bout 15 inches from my face hovering.
One of those emerald green ones.

It all lined up .
Perfect happenstance timing!!
😄😄😄😄😄
Posted By: hookeye Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Medium rain. Lost power between 4 and 6 am. Back on at 6:30.

Cooler.

Bones hurting pretty good
Posted By: Lslite Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Back porch was humming yesterday,filling feeders twice per day.Most are gone this morning,riding the wind to Port Aransas.
Posted By: hanco Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
It’s starting to move through Katy now, sure feels good.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Got down to 49 degrees here this morning.
Went to bed last night with the AC on high.
My kind of weather!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
32⁰ this morning
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Thought this was another ex wives thread.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Yep. They've been hyping the living crap out of the cold front here. Dropped the temp all of 16° today - 99° yesterday. Big friggen' whoop, but I'll take it.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Heard some snows passing over around 1am here in the SacJoaquin Delta.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Beautiful early fall day here in Iowa.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
It's a welcome change here. It was 92° on Saturday, 84 yesterday... high today was 58.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
. double post
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
54 degrees and raining
Posted By: saddlering Re: Major cold front - 09/22/21
Going down to 45 tonight, calling for a high of 50 tomorrow, with rain. Sucks that the Beaners are killing the Hummers, we should just go to war with them.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Major cold front - 09/23/21

Not so much a need to rest, they don’t seem to need sleep the same way mammals do. Most songbirds migrate at night, presumably to reduce risk from hawks and falcons but also because it leaves the day free for refueling. For birds it’s all about body fat, they’ve figured out a songbird gets about 125 miles per gram of fat and they can lay on fat and burn it off equally quick.

Swallows and swifts migrate by day because they can feed as they fly. Robins gather up in wandering flocks in search of berries and migrate by day in the fall, dunno about the spring.

Other birds like waterfowl migrate both day and night.

Hummingbirds are believed to migrate mostly in daylight, just over the treetops so they can stop when they come across flowers. Yet they have been observed flying up and out of sight late afternoon. Those leaving the Gulf Coast in fall usually depart in the morning tho they prob’ly won’t make landfall on the Yucatán until the early hours of they following morning.

If they make it. Bird’s respiratory systems are so efficient they generally don’t fatigue like we do (pheasants, grouse and turkeys tire because of the white meat in their flight muscles) birds burn off all their fat and if they still ain’t made landfall they burn muscle until they become too weak to fly, this can happen inside 24 hours dependent upon the fat load at the start.

Blackpoll warblers, the size of a sparrow, are famous, because they fatten up on berries in New England before making a 72 hour nonstop flight over water to Brazil. The record is held by a pigeon-sized shorebird the leaves the Aleutians and shows up in New Zealand after a seven-day overwater flight,they can’t swim either.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Major cold front - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Not so much a need to rest, they don’t seem to need sleep the same way mammals do. Most songbirds migrate at night, presumably to reduce risk from hawks and falcons but also because it leaves the day free for refueling. For birds it’s all about body fat, they’ve figured out a songbird gets about 125 miles per gram of fat and they can lay on fat and burn it off equally quick.

Swallows and swifts migrate by day because they can feed as they fly. Robins gather up in wandering flocks in search of berries and migrate by day in the fall, dunno about the spring.

Other birds like waterfowl migrate both day and night.

Hummingbirds are believed to migrate mostly in daylight, just over the treetops so they can stop when they come across flowers. Yet they have been observed flying up and out of sight late afternoon. Those leaving the Gulf Coast in fall usually depart in the morning tho they prob’ly won’t make landfall on the Yucatán until the early hours of they following morning.

If they make it. Bird’s respiratory systems are so efficient they generally don’t fatigue like we do (pheasants, grouse and turkeys tire because of the white meat in their flight muscles) birds burn off all their fat and if they still ain’t made landfall they burn muscle until they become too weak to fly, this can happen inside 24 hours dependent upon the fat load at the start.

Blackpoll warblers, the size of a sparrow, are famous, because they fatten up on berries in New England before making a 72 hour nonstop flight over water to Brazil. The record is held by a pigeon-sized shorebird the leaves the Aleutians and shows up in New Zealand after a seven-day overwater flight,they can’t swim either.

Great info. That’s crazy that a warbler can fly from New England to Brazil in three days.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Major cold front - 09/23/21
High tomorrow is 73, low is 46. Gonna feel wonderful! About darn time!
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Major cold front - 09/23/21
Interesting thread, Birdwatcher. Thanks for starting.

Do you have any experiences with the dates of the past years when migration starts/started. Are there years when the bird start to migrate earlier or later in the U.S. and Canada?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major cold front - 09/23/21
There have been a bunch of people at the Sabine Woods.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Major cold front - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Interesting thread, Birdwatcher. Thanks for starting.

Do you have any experiences with the dates of the past years when migration starts/started. Are there years when the bird start to migrate earlier or later in the U.S. and Canada?

The general trend is earlier, at least in the spring. The time of return follows a bell curve, especially in songbirds where timing and direction of migration appears to be mostly genetic in origin.

Come back too early and you prob’ly die, and get removed from the gene pool. Come back too late and the best territories are taken and/or your young don’t have time to mature and put on enough fat for their own fall migration so the genes die with their young also.

Always a crap shoot, but always enough variation that it happens every year and a subset of the population is doomed to fail. In a warming climate those that get here somewhat earlier have an advantage and leave the most offspring which likewise tend to return early. Climate cools and the opposite happens.

So it’s a self-adjusting system, regulated by the death of the losers.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major cold front - 09/24/21
There were some white pelicans on Galveston Bay today. It's pretty early for that.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Major cold front - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There have been a bunch of people at the Sabine Woods.

Three billion fall migrants coming south, peaking about now. There will be a boatload of stuff piling up on the Gulf Coast preparatory to tackling the Gulf.

Prob’ly some rare birds there too. I should check ebird
but I ain’t much of a twitcher.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Major cold front - 09/24/21
Pretty cool in camp a couple days ago. The flexible water jug like
THIS ONE
hanging on the tree, was frozen about half solid. Two nalgene bottles were frozen completely solid.

Forecast for town was 25* but could not have been higher than 15* to freeze that much water. Have had that jug’s valve freeze in October, but this was 2.5 gallons of water into solid ice.

Fun sleeping on the ground.
© 24hourcampfire