Home
I have a guy in Texas interested in my Ruger M77 .243.

I would have to ship it to a FFL dealer where he would pick it up. He said he would go to the FFL dealer, they would check him out, and if ok, then I would get paid.

I might have been born at night but it wasn’t last night. If I don’t have the money in my account first then it doesn’t leave my house.

Is this really the norm? Thanks.
Not a chance, money up front
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
LOL Yes, get paid first. Write him off with prejudice.

And tell us who.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
I have a guy in Texas interested in my Ruger M77 .243.

I would have to ship it to a FFL dealer where he would pick it up. He said he would go to the FFL dealer, they would check him out, and if ok, then I would get paid.

I might have been born at night but it wasn’t last night. If I don’t have the money in my account first then it doesn’t leave my house.

Is this really the norm? Thanks.

Sounds like a trust issue to me. With all the scams going on this might become the new norm. FFL have gun in hand before seller is paid.
Hasbeen
No. He's not selling it to the FFL.
It's the norm for someone that wants to rip you off.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It's the norm for someone that wants to rip you off.
What if he's Royalty from Nigeria?
Have bought and sold many. Seller has money in hand, then ships to FFL. Buyer passes background check, and takes the gun home.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Then it could be legit......
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Plus whatever number - have money in hand (and cleared) before shipping.

Sounds like "I want to handle the rifle before committing, so ship it to me at your expense, then I can tell you what all is wrong with it, and walk out...and you can pay the FFL to ship it back to you".
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Then it could be legit......

...especially if he over-pays you and asks for a partial refund and lets you keep some of it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Probably a fake FFL,get money in hand before you ship
This is the FFL dealer the guy wants to use so I’ll give them a call today and get their FFL license number.

I’ll plug it in to the ATF EZ Check website to verify if they're valid.

But the guy said he’d send me the entire amount first thru PayPal.

Attached picture fullsizeoutput_13ed.jpeg
Well then, standard deal, get paid, verify funds, verify FFL, ship, done.
No way I'd do PayPal ever again. Had two bad experiences.
First I sold a scope on fleabay back in 2008. It was right at the 4th of July. Ship it insured and tell the guy pay office said it should be there the third. Morning if the fourth comes the guy emails me and says no scope. I tell him with the holiday there's nothing we can do, I'll call when they are open. I leave for the weekend. Get home to find he had yanked the funds back and filed a fraud case. Called the local po and they had tried to deliver twice to the guy and he had to pick it up at his post office. I email the guy the info and ask him what gives. 4 hours later funds are back and not a peep it apology from him. Lesson 1
A year later going through divorce we're sorting finances and I switch my PayPal to new account. Buy something and they use old account, get dinged because funds were split and not enough. I call back again and switch account, this time they assure me all is good. Use PayPal a few months later and it goes to old account, 12 times in one day, each getting an overdraft charge. Called them and they said sorry, not our fault. Cancelled that day and have never used them again. If you're getting a bad feeling prior to this with the "I'll pay when I get possession" then run when they insist on using pay pay, that's an easily abused system with no recourse IMO. Good luck, but I'd insist on a check or money order and hold until it clears
1st without the FFL's actual license number you are going to have a very hard time verifying him. Also make sure the address is on the license, don't send it to an address you are given by someone else.

2nd Paypal will not give you any advantage as they don't allow use for firearms. All that will happen is if you make a complaint, your account will be suspended or cancelled.

If he wants some protection, use the USPO by getting a USPO money order and mailing it through the mail. This way he can file mail fraud charges if something goes South. There is no guarantee this will work, as each PO supplies different levels of service to their customers. I have sold my fair share of firearms, and have never sent any of them out without having them pay first and waiting until the funds clear. And when I say clear, that is around 10 days after I deposit it, as there have been examples of people cashing the check/money order, sending the firearm. and then getting a notice that the check/money order bounced, leaving them out cold. Also if they pay with a check from, say Wells Fargo, I cash it at the local branch, even if I don't have an account with them. That way the branch can do what ever verification is needed to ensure it is good.

I have never used one, but there is an option of using a broker. I imagine the costs could be prohibitive though.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
This is the FFL dealer the guy wants to use so I’ll give them a call today and get their FFL license number.

I’ll plug it in to the ATF EZ Check website to verify if they're valid.

But the guy said he’d send me the entire amount first thru PayPal.

Dont take paypal! Especially not friends and family option. Paypal would never back you if something went south with deal. Even more so it being a gun.
Originally Posted by dale06
Have bought and sold many. Seller has money in hand, then ships to FFL. Buyer passes background check, and takes the gun home.

Exactamundo!
All seems so complicated. Thanks to the guys that have handled our deals in mere minutes.... You are appreciated.

simple......run the FFL on FFL EZ Check

Once his funds clear...you ship to that FFL location

The buyer knows if he's going to pass back ground check

If he doesn't that's his problem not yours...money is in your pocket

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

Never used PP or will.......

USPS MO or personal check

Personal check will clear inside of 2 days
I just bought a shotgun from a fellow out of state. I sent him a picture of my FFL's current license. You have every right to be satisfied with payment before you ship. I requested he pack it well and insure it and I was willing to pay for extra care there. He can legally ship to my FFL and I fill out the paperwork when I pick it up. That's how it works. Not really that big of deal. Some FFL's do want to scalp you for that service though.

$20-25 is the usual fee for receiving
Well then, standard deal, get paid, verify funds, verify FFL, ship, done.

^^ that ^^^ And if buyer doesn't pass background check, not your problem.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

$20-25 is the usual fee for receiving

Around these parts in southeast Michigan I'm hearing $35-50. That was two years ago when I last purchased something online & needed this service.
Everyone needs to understand that the main problem that can arise from this type of transaction is that the buyer may not pass the background check. Then the ffl has a firearm he can't give to the buyer and the seller may not want it back,and IF the buyer sends in his friend to get it ,then you might wind up with a strawman sell which makes a real mess for the ffl .so the buyer needs to be sure he can pass the check
Isn’t this a joke?
Let the buyer go to the FFL first and find out if he can pass the background check then he can send the money.

Why is he concerned about passing the check??
Originally Posted by tikkanut

simple......run the FFL on FFL EZ Check

Once his funds clear...you ship to that FFL location

The buyer knows if he's going to pass back ground check

If he doesn't that's his problem not yours...money is in your pocket

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

^^^^^^^^^^ Only way. CFGMN before you ship.
the way it should work is that after you get your money and verify it is good, you give your gun to your local FFL and let him handle the shipment to the far side FFL.
Originally Posted by rem141r
the way it should work is that after you get your money and verify it is good, you give your gun to your local FFL and let him handle the shipment to the far side FFL.

Not necessary and just and added expense and step in the process...
© 24hourcampfire