Home
It was bought and parked for nearly 30 years. There's a bit of rust on the body and a couple dents where something fell on it but the interior is like new. For sale on Ebay. Current bid about $41k.
LISTING

It would be a nice truck to have but that's way out of my price range for an old one. I'm not a collector.

[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]
It's nice for collector value but meh, nah.
That price and the first thing you have to do is take it to Toyota to get the frame replaced.
I can't imagine why anyone would want that for $41K
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
That price and the first thing you have to do is take it to Toyota to get the frame replaced.

And all the drive train seals that haven't been lubed this whole time...and rust and dents? Nah.

doubtful........
Sweat barn find but yeah 41k it’s more than what I’d pay for it.
I'm sure someone will buy it
And it's in new England? I really hope it was in a well insulated garage
Somebody had one back in HS and wants it to go creep on a cheerleader he never banged
Reminds me of a 94 that I had. Nice little vehicles but not worth that kind of money, barn find or not. I don't think you are going to run it very long without some leaks with rubber seals and hoses that have been sitting that long.

I always liked the simple styling on that generation of Toyota trucks. I was hoping they would revive it on the the new Tundra's. But alas, I guess they have determined that most buyers want over-the-top monster truck styling now.
Salt on the roads did that. This one has never been on salty roads and, at that price, never will be. It'll spend the next 50 years in a heated showroom.
I agree with everybody on the value and the outrageous price; but, man that's a pretty nice barn find. It would be interesting to know the story behind that. My speculation is that it would be a sad story involving a death.
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Reminds me of a 94 that I had. Nice little vehicles but not worth that kind of money, barn find or not. I don't think you are going to run it very long without some leaks with rubber seals and hoses that have been sitting that long.

I always liked the simple styling on that generation of Toyota trucks. I was hoping they would revive it on the the new Tundra's. But alas, I guess they have determined that most buyers want over-the-top monster truck styling now.

The new tundra is kinda ugly, but where they really fugged up is in the payload. My current Tundra is 14 years old and I was hoping to replace it with a gently used one in a couple of years, but with the weak payload, it just isn't an option.
Mice nest in the air cleaner, chewed up wiring. They can do a lot of damage to a vehicle sitting for a year yet alone 30 years.
If you can afford the asking price, you can afford the fixing price.
Lotta suckers out there, apparently.
Bet the rear window doesnt leak like my 2020 gmc.
Base 80's Toyota a collector item? They were about 18K brand new. Some people have to much money.
The low mileage is what makes it valuable...to a collector. It's supposed to be the lowest mileage of any similar aged pickup in existence. It's rarity is what runs up the price. It'll never be driven because the buyer won't want the odometer to ever reach 100. Leaks will never be fixedso to preserve it's originality.
You could buy a decent one for a fraction of that price and and rebuild the whole drive train and made to your liking for much less. At the end of the day it’s still just a simple, cheap small pickup.

However, I find the listing to be questionable. There are sellers who find low mileage, nicer older vehicles and clean them up real good and try to pass them off as “barn finds”.
Is it the original speedometer?
That's Marty McFly's dream truck!

Go buy a brand new Tacoma and the only upgrades are a larger windshield washer reservoir, adjustable headrests and new styling.
Every seal and piece of rubber will need replaced, as well as that rust needs fixed. After all of that you might have 45 grand in an Toyota PU. Not in my world.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The low mileage is what makes it valuable...to a collector. It's supposed to be the lowest mileage of any similar aged pickup in existence. It's rarity is what runs up the price. It'll never be driven because the buyer won't want the odometer to ever reach 100. Leaks will never be fixedso to preserve it's originality.

Like guns. I'm afraid I would fix every leak in any gun I ever bought, collector or not.... smile
Hope it has the 4 banger.

If it’s got the 3.0, I wonder if the recall is still open. Obviously it hasn’t been done.

Cool truck. Silly money.
They had/have their following and for good reasons. But they will rust out from under you.

Open diff rear axl wasn’t worth shot in the mud and off camber situations. I had a couple of 80’s models for hunting trucks, but technology has surpassed them.
ALL the comments about leaks , chewed up wiring , mice - etc. - I agree 100% , nothing worse than a vehicle that hasn't been ran in a long time . MUCH WORSE when it hasn't been ran in 2-3/4 decades .
Nice truck, but certainly not a rare barn find. Frame is probable rusted out.
It depends on the barn. Some good ones are actually fairly mouse-proof. Mine is infested.
I'm more interested in the story behind the truck than the truck.

Wonder if it will come out

Nothing wrong with a '93 frame. I've got a '92 with 350K miles and the frame is good. Toyota had some frame problems, but it wasn't these years.
Calling Jay Leno

Finder's fee?
1 hour left and it's up to $42,600
The frame rust issues that Toyota had were only on certain model years of Tacoma's. It had to with anti-rust treatment that was to be applied during manufacturing but wasn't up to spec. I believe Toyota sued Danaher over it and won but I think Toyota spend a whole lot more on recalls. They recalled my Tacoma and redid the frame years ago and it is still running strong. No signs of unusual rust on the frame.

The truck that that is for sale is a 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinders from that era did have issues with head gaskets blowing out. The 94 I had had a factory recall to replace the head gasket. I had it for 14 years and never had any head gasket problems. It was a dog of an engine by modern standards, however.
Final price $45,100.

If another one sold tomorrow, it would go higher.
Love to have a 1st gen. Neighbor bought one in 1980 brand new with BFG AllTerrains. I’d sit in my bedroom and stare at it out the window.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by KFWA
I can't imagine why anyone would want that for $41K

Because it will be worth double that in 10 years.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

No kidding! Who buys a new truck, drives it home, parks it in a barn, and just leaves it?
There was a late 70's International Scout II in Ohio that had about a thousand on it . Parked just a week or so after the rural mail carrier that bought it new & saw it used too much gas on his route.

Super Scout Specialties that sells related parts had it in the their show room. I just checked if they still had it. No mention of it but they mow have a Scout museum, so it's likely.

Some forgotten about and interesting finds out there still. Not as many IMO with all the info & communication these days, but there is more to be found. Motorcycles bug me the most. A lot more easily hidden or forgotten about than a car. One with just a front wheel removed would fit under a work bench not be seen for decades.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

No kidding! Who buys a new truck, drives it home, parks it in a barn, and just leaves it?
There was a case years ago, as reported by Paul Harvey: A man in Italy ordered a new Rolls and paid for it in advance. At the time, it was a 2 year wait to get it. Before it came, he died. It arrived in a crate and his widow had the crate put in the barn, unopened. Nearly 30 years later, she died and the car was still there. The estate was auctioned off and an American bought the car and had it shipped home to the US. He opened the crate for the 1st time and found that the owner's manual was missing. He wrote to RR, explained the situation, and asked if there was an old copy of the manual somewhere that he could get his hands on. A few weeks later, a RR rep knocked on his door. He handed the man a newly printed manual and also a new car warranty. He said that RR stood behind their cars and since it was new out of the crate, it was still eligible for a full warranty.

I wonder if the 60k warranty on this pickup is still good.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I agree with everybody on the value and the outrageous price; but, man that's a pretty nice barn find. It would be interesting to know the story behind that. My speculation is that it would be a sad story involving a death.

Grew up with a kid that went to Viet Nam in 69. Saved his $$ and sent it home to dad to buy him a car when he returned. He wanted a "Super Bee" but was shy about 50% so dad wanted to surprise him and made up the difference and bought the care a few weeks before his tour was to end. He never made it home.
The car sat in the carport for the longest time unused. I spent a lot of time with his dad over the first year or so and got busy with life and the visits got shorter and farther apart.
I went to see him on the second anniversary of Johns death and he said he was getting tired of people asking to buy it so he covered it with a tarp. Dad was never the same and ended up killing himself on the fourth anniversary. His mother was pretty much a total wreck after that and his little brother turned into a drug addled POS in spite of the efforts of many of us trying to help him.
Mom also passed away and somehow the little brother managed to inherit and keep the house and still lives there today.
I left town about 45 years ago and I stopped several times when I would go back to visit my mother but the kid was either not there of just wouldn't come to the door.
the car was still under the tarp in the carport as recently as 2015. Sad story all around. Probably way too many stories involving VN vets and probably Gulf war vets as well.
There is a good song IMO about one By David Ball. "Riding With Private Malone".
Some of you may enjoy. Starts - "I was just out of the service thumbing through the classifieds........
Originally Posted by Pat85
Mice nest in the air cleaner, chewed up wiring. They can do a lot of damage to a vehicle sitting for a year yet alone 30 years.

A lot of manufacturers used soy as an ingredient in the wiring. I don't think that was done during this model year.

Because a 93 Chevy,Ford or Dodge will survive living in the rust belt.
Went for just over $45k, eBay collects taxes too. I’d have to wonder about internal engine corrosion also, just sitting all this time.

Looks cool, but I think I’d save some $$ & just buy a current model.
Brought to you by the people who gave you Pearl Harbor!!!!
I had the same truck, except it was an XtraCab
Bought new in late 92 for $15K, with a Leer topper
Served me well, till I got a wife, kids and a dog!
Originally Posted by uncle joe
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Grew up with a kid that went to Viet Nam in 69. Saved his $$ and sent it home to dad to buy him a car when he returned. He wanted a "Super Bee" but was shy about 50% so dad wanted to surprise him and made up the difference and bought the care a few weeks before his tour was to end. He never made it home.
The car sat in the carport for the longest time unused. I spent a lot of time with his dad over the first year or so and got busy with life and the visits got shorter and farther apart.
I went to see him on the second anniversary of Johns death and he said he was getting tired of people asking to buy it so he covered it with a tarp. Dad was never the same and ended up killing himself on the fourth anniversary. His mother was pretty much a total wreck after that and his little brother turned into a drug addled POS in spite of the efforts of many of us trying to help him.
Mom also passed away and somehow the little brother managed to inherit and keep the house and still lives there today.
I left town about 45 years ago and I stopped several times when I would go back to visit my mother but the kid was either not there of just wouldn't come to the door.
the car was still under the tarp in the carport as recently as 2015. Sad story all around. Probably way too many stories involving VN vets and probably Gulf war vets as well.

Unbelievably sad story
First vehicle was a '89 Toyota truck like this one. It had the 22RE engine. It wasn't fast but was near bullet proof and could go places a full-size truck couldn't. The sticker on the truck was $10,157 new. No power windows, no cruise. Only had A/C , power steering and not even intermittent wipers.
I can see the old solid axel models becoming collectors but a ‘93? Lol.

With under 100 miles it sure is unique though. Wonder who bought it? Be cool to see a dealership clean it up and display it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I can see the old solid axel models becoming collectors but a ‘93? Lol.

With under 100 miles it sure is unique though. Wonder who bought it? Be cool to see a dealership clean it up and display it.

From the photos on ebay, I think it got cleaned up pretty well.
© 24hourcampfire