Home
Posted By: jackmountain Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Need a few again. I don’t want leather.
Got a bunch of BC comfort stretch but want something thinner and “grippy” for some light rifles.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Jack,

You try a paracord sling ?

IIRC, someone in our classifieds makes them.

🦫

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Mountain Slings by Blackhawk/Butler Creek. If you can find the 1" wide ones they are the best but the 1 1/4" is all I have been able to find in the last several years. They are lightweight nylon with a strip of slip resistant material where the shoulder contacts. Comes with swivels for less than $20.00, well may be more these days, and are very lightweight and do not rot or mildew. I purchase them 4 to 6 at a time and just have them around when needed.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
^^^^ This.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
I have a couple nylon slings. Rocky Mountain I think? Simple and light. Pretty sure Butler Creek makes similar ones.

I do like my leather Montana slings better though.
If have some of the Butler Creek slings and they work fine. I also use Trader Keith Safari Straps.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Got a bunch of BC comfort stretch but want something thinner and “grippy” for some light rifles.

I have some mountain slings but usually make my own out of 1" nylon straps. I put shoe goo on them to make them grippy. They work quite well.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
^^^^ This.

Yep and I have owned one for 27 years that gets moved where I need it.
Posted By: cwill Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
I like the claw sling by quake.
Posted By: papat Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
I like a simple nylon strap. Cut to size for me.
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
butler creek sling. 1inch nylon with about 2.5 inch neoprene padding. very comfortable and stretchy. would buy another.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
For hunting, I love the Outdoor Connection Super Sling 2. It's ~$20 and is very versatile......
Posted By: Santiam Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Also a "Claw" fan..
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Mountain Slings by Blackhawk/Butler Creek. If you can find the 1" wide ones they are the best but the 1 1/4" is all I have been able to find in the last several years. They are lightweight nylon with a strip of slip resistant material where the shoulder contacts. Comes with swivels for less than $20.00, well may be more these days, and are very lightweight and do not rot or mildew. I purchase them 4 to 6 at a time and just have them around when needed.

This is what I was looking for but couldn’t remember what they were called, thanks!
Originally Posted by cwill
I like the claw sling by quake.

I have many different slings I have bought over the years ,leather and otherwise. I like the claw the best for my use.
Posted By: iddave Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
If I HAVE to use a sling, the Claw gets my vote.

Kifaru gun-bearer is simply a better way to roll if you’re wearing any kind of pack at all while hunting though.

Dave
Posted By: pullit Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Claw
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
A few years ago, I looked at a Boony Packer Safari sling. I made a quicky homemade version just to try out the concept and I liked it. So, I bought the real one. I much prefer it over a regular sling. The only issue is that when you're with other people, you need to be constantly aware of where the muzzle is pointing. I use a single trekking pole when hunting and don't have any problems with it. Using 2 poles might get cumbersome.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067ZRSM

Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Alaskan Magnum Sling with Sewn-in Swivels, Black

It is stretchy, wide, and non slip.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21

Not sure if they’re my favorite, but have been using Uncle Mike’s/Butler Creek ‘Mountain Slings’ for the last 15 years.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
I like leather on nice guns, so often buy it, but I also like light synthetics. Picked up a nice camo paracord sling on Amazon for my CZ All Terrain O/U. Looks good with the green Cerakote and is comfortable and none-slip. Made by Estobi $17.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
I like my old quick adjust Bucheimer.
Is perfect on my 760 .35 rem.

Am happy w basic carry slings by Andy's Leather too.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Ultimate Rifle Sling
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
I used an "Ultimate Gun Sling", by Specialty Outdoors, on my slug gun and muzzleloader last season. Worked like a dream, but with a lot of buckles and sliders on it, I'd be concerned that it would scratch up a nice walnut stock.

With my Montana sling, no such worries. And it's lighter in weight than the Ultimate.

I own 4 of these. Even in the rain duck hunting, this sling DOES NOT SLIP. The guy stands behind it too.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
"TheClaw".
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Slogan Outdoors sling.

Best I’ve found in rubber slings.

Made in USA. Like a 25yr warranty. (Iirc)

If your a larger fellow, get the magnum size.
Posted By: ribka Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I have some mountain slings but usually make my own out of 1" nylon straps. I put shoe goo on them to make them grippy. They work quite well.

cool idea
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
I like the Vero Vellini Slings in camo. Getting harder to find these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017357372
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
jackmountain;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the last weekend of September was a good one for you and all in your world are well.

I was all ready to give you a glowing review of my favorite mountain rifle slings along with a link for same, whereupon I see they no longer are made.... cry

The folks at Redi-Mag in Oregon used to make a 1" nylon "Packer Strap" which had grippy rubber bits woven right into the webbing. They came with their proprietary swivels sewn right in and and while they're not the tightest or quietest swivels in the world, they're not the worst either.

It would appear they still make a 2" version with the rubber gripper compound woven in, but no longer make the 1", which is too bad as I've tried both and believe I've given away all the 2" ones now.

I should add that about 3/4 of the time I carry my rifle on my off or left side with the muzzle down and the rest of the time it's in my hands. Since we're hunting in both rough, steep country and also very much grizzly and black bear county, I carry that way as it allows me to carry a round in the chamber but the bolt up or not closed on it. If I happen upon something up close, it allows me to swing the rifle into action with my left hand and thumb the bold closed as it's brought up to shoot.

Anyways it takes longer to type than to actually accomplish. wink

In the past I've tried a couple different brands of plain nylon webbing slings and all of them were much too slippery for my usual way of hunting.

If you could find an old stock 1" Packer Strap with the gripper/rubber stuff in it, they were about $16 USD usually if memory serves.

Here's a link to the new ones, but again they're plain webbing and would be light enough, but like as not too slippery for my uses.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product-category/hunting/packer-strap/

The 2" one specifically mentions the gripper/rubber whatever it is.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product-category/hunting/2-2-sling-swivels/

Again these aren't horrible, but I found them needlessly bulky even though they're quite lightweight still.

Hope that was useful to you or someone out there. Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall as well for sure.

Dwayne
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Slogan Outdoors sling.

+1 these are the bes0 I have ever used. You can cinch it up which greatly helps keep it from slipping off the shoulder- like every sling on the planet. It flexes too which greatly adds to comfort and lessens fatigue on the shoulder. Can be used a number of ways and great when climbing- you can slip into the middle of it and have the sling front and back side at same time. .
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by VaHunter

LGS had a bunch of these in a bin on sale for $10 a few years ago. Bought several. Should have bought them all.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Slogan Outdoors sling.

This, best I have used!
Posted By: las Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago, I looked at a Boony Packer Safari sling. I made a quicky homemade version just to try out the concept and I liked it. So, I bought the real one. I much prefer it over a regular sling. The only issue is that when you're with other people, you need to be constantly aware of where the muzzle is pointing. I use a single trekking pole when hunting and don't have any problems with it. Using 2 poles might get cumbersome.

This for me also. They can be used in a multitude of carries. Muzzle up, down, gun across the back, on the shoulder, across the front, at the hip.
I use no other and have several. I also have several other type slings that haven't been on a gun in 15 years or more. I should sell them.....
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/27/21
I’ve found the milsurlp green cotton slings for M1 carbines to be a fine rifle slimg. You used to be able to pick them up for a couple of bucks apiece. I expect they are more expensive now.
I like the Brownell's latigo slings. The design is clever and it works well.

I don't particularly favor Brownell's as a business. They're kind of corporate-like, big business. Not as bad as Vista. So I suppose if I knew an individual craftsman that was making good slings, I'd favor them over the Brownell's, but I didn't the last time I needed a sling.

Now that I have the Brownell's, I might just make copies of it myself if I ever need more slings. I use Herman Oak veg-tanned leather. I like their harness leather better than latigo, but for a sling I might try bridle leather or even their tooling/holster/strap leather that I use for my holsters because it's harder.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Trader Keith’s sling

Made of the finest cotton (1.5" width) and impregnated with two rows of silicone rubber to prevent slipping. There are two sizes: fits one inch or three-quarter inch swivels.

Great for carrying a rifle and for shooting.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Does anyone know of a sling attachment, swivel, or hardware that is coated with something quiet, like nylon or rubber that is noiseless?
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Leather.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Brownell’s Latigo & Sinclair’s Montana sling.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Does anyone know of a sling attachment, swivel, or hardware that is coated with something quiet, like nylon or rubber that is noiseless?

I plan to put a light dip of rubber based caulking on the pair I will use next. It's pretty tough compared to the silicone version, but is also clear. I see no reason why it will peel if it's cleaned well with the right solvent first.

One other set is plastic and made by Outdoor Connection.
I like the Brute, but won't buy off of Amazon..
Spend the extra buck and get a set from a sporting goods store (not Dicks SG though.) 😉
They are quiet and strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Connection-Brute-1-Inch-Swivel/dp/B001OPRJ18
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Vickers.
Posted By: john843 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
I build my own using 1" lightweight nylon webbing and ALWAYS use the Outdoor Connection polymer swivels mentioned in the post above. They are pretty much bulletproof and completely silent. I use Chicago screws (screw rivets) to fasten the swivel loops on each end.

John
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
I use Safari slings.
Posted By: RAS Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by 280shooter

+1

The best for my style of hunting.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
The 1" leather ones that came with a 700 bdl remington in the 70's and 80's they are the best fug the rest. Mb
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I plan to put a light dip of rubber based caulking on the pair I will use next. It's pretty tough compared to the silicone version, but is also clear. I see no reason why it will peel if it's cleaned well with the right solvent first.

One set is plastic and made by Outdoor Connection.
Spend the extra buck and get a set from a sporting goods store (not Dicks though.) 😉

Thanks Happy_Camper, that looks like it will be very effective for close range hunting.
Posted By: skeen Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

I own 4 of these. Even in the rain duck hunting, this sling DOES NOT SLIP. The guy stands behind it too.

There may be better slings out there, but this is my go to, too.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Jack,

🦫

I'd be interested in checking one of those out.
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Jack,

🦫

I'd be interested in checking one of those out.

And I bought one - they're on sale for only $23.95 w/free shipping. wink

https://eaglerockgear.com/collections/rifle-slings
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Favorite rifle sling? - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

One set is plastic and made by Outdoor Connection.
Spend the extra buck and get a set from a sporting goods store (not Dicks though.) 😉

Thanks Happy_Camper, that looks like it will be very effective for close range hunting.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2403860152?pid=264850
I just found a bunch of reviews at Midway. They charge just $7 not including shipping (maybe a coupon code?)
I don't know of any drawbacks. If the knurling on the little bolt / screw bothers you, it can be wrapped with a tight rubber band or rubber ring. I have had a set of metal swivels (unknown brand) break unexpectedly. I have this 1.25 size OC Brute and don't expect that to happen.
© 24hourcampfire