Home
Posted By: Heym06 Two dead - 09/27/21
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2385...river-bar-killing-woman-and-young-child. The wife sent me this as a reminder! Always sad to hear these of accidents. Those going out this week becareful!
Posted By: Morewood Re: Two dead - 09/27/21
Geez, that's a shame. 5 year old little girl and a middle aged woman trapped in the cabin and drowned.
Posted By: logger Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
The Umpqua bar can be a handful and can change rapidly.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
"Just before 9:30 a.m. Sunday, US Coast Guard Station Umpqua River was notified of capsized boat just outside the Umpqua River Bar.
According to US Coast Guard 13th District Public Affairs, there were 5 people in the water.
3 were recovered, but 2 were stuck in the boat's cabin - a 5-year-old girl and middle aged woman.
The Coast Guard responded with a 29-foot response boat, a 47-foot life boat and a helicopter from North Bend.

They deployed a rescue swimmer from the helicopter who was able to get both the girl and woman out of the cabin, but both were unresponsive.
Despite CPR efforts, the woman was pronounced deceased at the dock. The child was transported to the hospital, where she later died, the Coast Guard said.
A small boat was able to bring the survivors in the water to safety.
The operation took about 40 minutes.
The capsized boat was a recreational, 22-foot pleasure craft. Coast Guard officials said they were working to recover it.
Some Coast Guard crew members were distraught about the situation and aren’t working Monday, officials said.
The identities of those involved have not been released."

Terrible for the family, likewise for the USCG responders.

I don't get the chance to thank them nearly enough for being out there for us, and let them know how much they are appreciated.

Thanks for the reminder Heym06.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
Well that certainly sucks.

Bar crossings are the pits sometimes.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
Truly sorry for the passengers but he was on the bar on the ebb ...you just don't do that, they make these things called tidebooks. Also Sunday at Stonewall buoy 30 nm north they had 13 ft waves at 8 seconds....what could have been going through his mind to try it?
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
22 footer trying to navigate 13’ waves with women and children onboard? WTF is wrong with the skipper? Is he trying for a Darwin Award? That’s not just negligence, but stupidity.

Prayers to the USCG personnel; especially the rescue swimmer. That’s a rough day.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Two dead - 09/28/21
There was a gale warning that morning in Newport, Oregon, 75 miles north of Winchester Bay. I was in Newport that weekend and I chose not to fish Sunday because of the ocean conditions. Saturday was very sporty in the afternoon as well. I don’t know what the weather was like south of me and 75 miles is a good distance but I’m betting the conditions were pretty sporty there, too.

Tragic. The boat was pretty good sized.

P
© 24hourcampfire