Home
Posted By: 6MMWASP I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Don;t know where to start but have to say he did his best to teach me to be a mans man. father ,husband, friend and a good person.

He carried me on is fishing basket when I was 2 or 3 years old to fish his favorite stream and when my legs were too short and my waders were short as well he carried me across the upper Rio Grand to make it easier to cast a fly being right handed.

He taught me to be kind to others and animals as well as to utilize them the way it was intended.

He taught me how to take care of what I killed to feed my family and to appreciate my family.

He taught me that family is the most important thing I would ever have in my life.

He was my dad, my friend, my mentor.

We hunted side by side for 13 days for him to get his first Rocky Mountain Sheep and 13 days as well for his goat

We fished commercially in Alaska for 7 years for us to afford our first African safari.

He was my friend and he passed September 16th 1 week short of his 91st birthday.

Hunt on dad, we will hunt again.
Posted By: bludog Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Dang, don't post stuff like this. Sorry for your loss. My dad is 89, and a kinder gentleman you will never meet.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Very sorry for your loss. May he R.I.P.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
They made them good about that time.
Posted By: Fenton Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Very nice tribute to your Dad. I expect he was as proud of you as you clearly are of him.
He was on this earth a long while, gotta be grateful for that.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Kind of you sir. Very fortunate to have him for so long
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Such a heart felt tribute. Many of us are who we are today due to the influence of our fathers. I lost mine two years ago. We know life goes on. We also strive to do as good of a job as we can in influencing the next generation. Again, sorry for your loss but so glad you got to enjoy his presence for so long. Wonderful you were able to be part of his hunting success.
Posted By: Rooterpig Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Memories are a gift from God. You will hunt again.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Great memories. May your father RIP.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
RIP Dad! Sounds like you two had a great run!
Posted By: CBB Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss
Sorry for your loss. Lost both of my parents. Dad 4 years ago & Mom 3 years ago. Still hurts like hell.
Treasure all the good memories!
Posted By: sawdustin Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21

Your sentiment and words above are befitting tribute to a wonderful and kind man. You specifically, have the great honor of calling him Dad. Cherish the wonderful memories in your time of loss and grief, and know that you were greatly loved.

Thoughts and condolences are with you. Be well.

Mark
Posted By: Brakeman97 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My condolences. But remember, his blood pumps through your veins and in a very real sense he lives on, though memories and you.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My condolences on losing your Pa, it truly sucks.

RIP Pa.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sounds like you had a very special relationship. Wish all fathers raised sons like that. The world would be a better place.
Posted By: pointer Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss. Keep telling his stories!
Posted By: saddlering Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
May he RIP
Posted By: srwshooter Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
tough times sir. you were lucky to have him that long. life changes when parents go.
Posted By: efw Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Very sorry to hear of your loss; what an awesome blessing and good dad is! May he RIP.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Condolences from here - lost my Dad in Jan of '91.
Still a little fresh.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
There is never a good time to lose a parent.
Cherish the memories, know that he rests with Our Lord.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My condolences may he RIP. I have lost both mine in the last year. Rejoice that you had them as long as you have.honor them by the things they taught you. Mb
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
If we know Jesus as our Lord and savior, we are guaranteed eternal salvation.
Posted By: worriedman Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Peace to you and your family, sounds like he had you prepared to carry on. It is what we do as fathers, try to instill skills and grit to face the day that our children must live on without us. My condolences sir!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Proverbs 20:7 - An honest father is a wonderful heritage.

That’s what came to mind when my own Dad passed.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sincere condolences for your loss.

You were lucky to have had a long and close relationship with your Father, as many people don't have one so long and strong.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
It sounds like you had a wonderful father.
No matter how old they are, it’s always to soon.
May he rest in peace and you and yours take comfort in the memories and wonderful legacy.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
You had a great father. Know that he truly shaped you into who you are and that you'll see him again...
Posted By: Osky Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
RIP. My best to you.

Osky
Posted By: blindshooter Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a great dad.

Miss mine still.
Posted By: ingwe Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My condolences as well. I lost my dad when I was barely out of college.

Be thankful that you had your dad for as long as you did.
Posted By: ribka Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21

That she and goat hunt with your Dad must have something. Good tribute

Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Don;t know where to start but have to say he did his best to teach me to be a mans man. father ,husband, friend and a good person.

He carried me on is fishing basket when I was 2 or 3 years old to fish his favorite stream and when my legs were too short and my waders were short as well he carried me across the upper Rio Grand to make it easier to cast a fly being right handed.

He taught me to be kind to others and animals as well as to utilize them the way it was intended.

He taught me how to take care of what I killed to feed my family and to appreciate my family.

He taught me that family is the most important thing I would ever have in my life.

We hunted side by side for 13 days for him to get his first Rocky Mountain Sheep and 13 days as well for his goat

We fished commercially in Alaska for 7 years for us to afford our first African safari.

He was my friend and he passed September 16th 1 week short of his 91st birthday.

Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
So sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
That was a nice write up.

RIP.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
I’m sorry for you and your families loss OP. May he RIP.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss. Too many of these threads lately.
Posted By: Drpguy Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
You could hold on to the good times you had with him, the memories will live free in your heart. May his soul rest in peace
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My sincere condolences; sounds like you won the dad lottery.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
You’ll hunt again with him...

🦫
Sorry for your loss and I feel your pain.
I have been going through the challenge of letting my own fathers friends and family (whom my mother didn't care for and let fall out of touch) know that he passed.
Posted By: goalie Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss. May the memories never fade.
Posted By: boatboy Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
AS said previous you we so fortunate to have him
but also I know he was fortunate to have you

May God Bless both of you

I am Sorry for your Loss
Hank
90 is a good run, and it sounds like he made the best if his time!

Remember and cherish the good times
Posted By: worriedman Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Peace to you and your family, sounds like he had you prepared to carry on. It is what we do as fathers, try to instill skills and grit to face the day that our children must live on without us. My condolences sir!
Posted By: Deans Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
A great tribute to your Dad as others have said. My condolences to you and your family. May your father RIP.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
RIP to a fine man. Prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: Raeford Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
May your dad RIP
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Lost my Pop in '91. You learn to live with that loss, but it never gets easy, and he will be in your thoughts daily.
Posted By: SKane Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Mike - a wonderful tribute to your father and condolences to you and your family.
You made a lot of great memories together - all to be cherished often.
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sincere condolences
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by efw
Very sorry to hear of your loss; what an awesome blessing and good dad is! May he RIP.

This. Amen.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
My deepest condolences.
My dad was my best friend too.
Posted By: AKduck Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Great post. RIP.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Excellent post OP. Your dad carried the family name and reputation for many years. Now it's up to you. I'm sure you are thankful for all be taught you. Carry on.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss, I pray that God gives you peace remembering all the good times you shared!
Posted By: Diesel Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
6MM,
Very heartfelt post that rings deep and true. The essence of your words are carried within many who were fortunate enough to be raised by good people.

Sorry for your great loss, but, thank you for expressing it so succinctly.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry to hear about this Mike. It sounds like you had as good of a father and mentor possible. My sincere condolences sir.
Posted By: gunzo Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sounds like a great dad & friend. May he RIP.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
You were Blessed to have been born/reared by such a Father. My Condolences pard..
Posted By: broomd Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Reads as a life well lived with a son to be proud of....RIP.
Condolences for your loss, may he rest in peace.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Prayers sent to you from West Texas MIke. Sounds like you had a great dad, and many great memories. Kudos to you guys.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: DMc Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
A miserable thing to lose a loved one. Sincerest condolences.
Posted By: 805 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Very sorry for your loss! Sounds like an amazing man and many lessons taught over the years. May your dad RIP.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
6MMWASP,

This is likely the toughest thing you have been through and by this age, that's a lot. My heart goes out to you and yours sir.
I can sympathize with the pain .
One thing I take solace in is that my Dad put his trust in the Lord to take him to heaven. (ie. The signature link) I trust likewise yours did as well. In that case you both can be reunited someday. We can then look forward to seeing and more time to enjoy on that side.
I will pray that the Lord brings strength and comfort through this tough time.

Sincerely,

HC
https://thekingjamesversionbible.com/1-thessalonians-4
Please accept my most sincere condolences. We've all been standing where you are right now, or will be some day. Positive energy sent.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Mike ,

Very sorry to hear of your loss , condolences to all , may the fine man rest in peace .
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
You have my condolences.
Posted By: lightman Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
Sorry for your loss. May he RIP. 91 years was a good run. He sounds like quite a man!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
What a beautiful tribute to your dad! I’m sorry for your loss but I’m glad you had him for as long as you did. You are a lucky man to have had such a father, friend and mentor. I pray that your memories of your time together carry you through this difficult time.

May your dad Rest In Peace in the loving arms of our Lord and may you find comfort in the memories of a man that obviously loved you beyond measure.

God bless you and yours!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: I lost my best friend - 09/29/21
So sorry for your loss.
As I age, some of my friends and parents have left this earthly ball they called home. Now, Heaven is their home. The closer I get to the grave, the easier it seams to be. Heaven is getting sweeter everyday, by the people who have gone before me.

Again, sorry for your loss.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Sorry for your loss I can't imagine.
Sorry you lost your dad mike. Glad you had a long time to spend with him.
Posted By: Higginez Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Man, I'm really sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you didn't waste a minute with him.

Here's to getting past the heartbreak and enjoying the great memories!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Your dad was your best friend and you admired him. You are lucky, not all father/son relationships are so good. You are a lucky man.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he lived a rich life with his priority’s in order.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Yup...Dad was always there, even when you wished he wasn't. That's what makes them a real father. You are a lucky man.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
Thank all of you for the prayers, thoughts and kind words.

.I heard about his passing when I was in the Salt Lake City airport on my way to an elk hunt in Arizona with my 2 sons and 3 grandsons.

I'm going to continue to do my best to pass along what he taught me.
Again thanks for the kind thoughts.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: I lost my best friend - 09/30/21
6MM you have our prayers. Be Well, RZ.
© 24hourcampfire