Home
Uses for Pine Trees

I ask myself how mankind survived in regions far from citrus fruits, iodine from kelp and many other nutrients available to those who live on coasts and down south. God gave what we need for survival all over the world. Inland northern temperate regions have their own hidden treasures that helped mankind survive and flourish.

Off the top of my head, here's 4no 6 great uses that we are given from pine trees.

1. Pine needle tea, as Wabigoon pointed to and 10glocks explained in "Ever Eat a Pine Tree?". These trees and other evergreens like the Northern Hemlocks, produce plenty of vitamin C and other micronutrients that we tend to associate with the tropical south citrus groves. This is life of the inland populations before the advent of rapid mass transit. The northern temperate climate provides vitamin C that our bodies cannot produce.

2. Turpentine..... multiple uses.
You might have used it as a thinner or to clean paint brushes.
Few today are aware of the medicinal uses of turpentine as the information has been censored.
The poor would use the distilled resins of pine for effective medicine that treated many ailments. This was used by settlers and slaves long before Rockefeller started selling snake oil and opium addictions, eventually leading to a monopoly on health care. For some interesting history on it's uses, I will post a video below.

3. Sulphur. Dietary sulphur or Methylsulfonylmethane, MSM for short, is a beneficial by product derived from the wood. It is one of my daily go to supplements that helps my hair, nails, bone ends to grow and repair. I'm hard on my joints, but Sulphur reduces the inflammation and is one nutrient necessary for cartilage growth. Call me a crazy whatever who practices medicine if you want. But while some opt for dangerous joint amputation with bone saws, that requires much healing, I choose MSM along with protocols that I've already posted elsewhere. That's one of the benefits of EFFECTIVE health care. I don't judge those who already took a different route, but I ask the same from others.

4. Pine Nuts. A very delicious and nutritious food. They contain vital fatty acids that are used by every cell of the body.

5. Pollen. Full of B vitamins, pine pollen offers plant protein and nutrients required for numerous metabolic functions including energy metabolism. Some find that eating this pollen reduces or eliminates respiratory inflammation, excess mucous and other respiratory symptoms.

6. Lumber. Enough said.

I hope that anyone who wants to are enjoying one of God's many gifts to mankind by the creation of the Pine.

Perhaps there are other benefits and uses for pine trees.
Please add them to the list. These are just 6 off of the top of my head at lunch.
History and Traditional Uses of Distilled Pine Resin or Turpentine. Interview begins at 2:45 Mark

to back my truck into and bend my back bumper. Then slide into same said pine tree and tear up rear qtr panel to the tune of 3 grand including a new bumper!!!. Happened on Sunday!!!

Good grief. Body work is too expensive. I hope insurance takes care of that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I wonder how old that stump is? It looks like a pretty big tree was there.
They are real nice for punching a hole in you house when a hurricane comes through
Pine tar pitch, pine tar soap.
Pine needles on the roof
Originally Posted by hanco
They are real nice for punching a hole in you house when a hurricane comes through

I hope you didn't have to go through that.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pine tar pitch, pine tar soap.

You are dating yourself. Lol. I've actually used some of the soap to try to get rid of poison ivy on the skin.

Isn't the pine tar an old standard remedy for drawing infection on livestock?
Turpentine:

A little boy was sitting on the curb with a gallon of turpentine, shaking it up and watching all the bubbles.
A while later a Priest came along and asked the little boy what he had.
The little boy replied, 'This is the most powerful liquid in the world, it's called turpentine.'
The Priest said, 'No, the most powerful liquid in the world is Holy Water. If you take some of this Holy Water and rub it on a pregnant woman's belly, she'll pass a healthy baby.'
The little boy replied, 'You take some of this turpentine and rub it on a cat's ass, he'll pass a Harley Davidson.'

Everything mankind has and uses was already here in some base form.
Originally Posted by joken2

Everything mankind has and uses was already here in some base form.

I think so too.
I think most of that knowledge was lost when people became dependant upon the major corporations for most everything.
The mega agri, pharma, industrial/ chemical companies took over everything.
I think someone shoved one up Joey Bag-o-Diapers rear to make it appear like he has a backbone when zero's forearm isn't there....

Oh they are good for making sawdust too.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's what I call a campfire.
Maybe won't last 24 hours, but a good campfire anyhow.

I've bought many bales of pine shavings for lab animal bedding.
It's better than cedar. However, I'd much rather use cedar shakes/ shingles on the exterior of a house or some interior finishing.
I believe that Paul Bunyan used one for a comb.

I always liked knotty pine panelling. I don't think it's in style now, but looks good nevertheless.

https://www.knottypinepaneling.com
https://i.imgur.com/VviPtoe.jpg

Link to a bedroom in our cabin.
https://i.imgur.com/VviPtoe.jpg

Link to a bedroom in our cabin.

Wow, that's really nice Richard. I like the unique angled installation you chose too. That's the kind of style that can't be beat.

Is this the same place with the awesome ceiling in your living room?
Thanks Frank, We went to a garage sale near Dinowic, Ontario.

The house there was all done in white cedar in all angles.
This is black ash. https://imgur.com/06ylpKv
That grain is sweet. Where did you find the lumber?
Was it sawn into boards from a tree on your farm?
Most all from Paige &Hill sawmill, at Big falls, Minnesota.

They are out of business now.

I really miss those old mills that used to have runs of just about anything that grew in the area. That's where you could sometimes buy quarter sawn, curly maple, burl walnut, etc.

Anymore, it's the standard fare at lowes, depot. They put about everything around here out of business.

I bet that house in Dinowic was something else.
Frank, the basement opened to the east with a patio door to bedrock just a few feet above the water level.

The main floor has a deck built around two white pines, and looks over a bay, maybe a mile wide.

The best view is to the south through two large casement windows, lookin over 13 miles of lake.
Frank, the basement opened to the east with a patio door to bedrock just a few feet above the water level.

The main floor has a deck built around two white pines, and looks over a bay, maybe a mile wide.

The best view is to the south through two large casement windows, lookin over 13 miles of lake.
Wabigoon could have one shoved up his ass, and never flinch.

LOL

Wabs,

Just hit the post reply button β€œOnce”.

Hint of the day.

🦫
Thanks!

Thanks! laugh

Flave,

Where in the hell did that come from?
Not once have I ever heard Wabigoon so much as insult your scooter. If you ever drove it up to his neck of the woods, his preacher would probably kick your sorry butt.

Incredible.
That sounds like something Frank Lloyd Wright would build.
I have a picture that reminds me of that, that Brave brings up sometimes. Maybe I can find it.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I really miss those old mills that used to have runs of just about anything that grew in the area. That's where you could sometimes buy quarter sawn, curly maple, burl walnut, etc.

Anymore, it's the standard fare at lowes, depot. They put about everything around here out of business.

Wabigoon, don't you drive right past the Two Inlets Mill on the way to Canada? It's north and just east of Park Rapids, Mn off 71.
Pine straw. Turns out it is way better and way cheaper than mulch and my back yard pine trees make it thicker every year.
Crappie beds
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Wabigoon, don't you drive right past the Two Inlets Mill on the way to Canada? It's north and just east of Park Rapids, Mn off 71.

Rooster, we turn skirt Park Rapids on Crocus Hill St, and turn north, and cross Highway 34, and take Hubbard County 4 north.

I'll look that up.
I pine for the old days before the covid.
Myself as well Paul!
Originally Posted by Windfall
Pine straw. Turns out it is way better and way cheaper than mulch and my back yard pine trees make it thicker every year.

It's supposed to be the best for acid loving plants like blueberry bushes.
Also plywood.
Also plywood.

Are you saying that plywood scraps make good acid mulch for blueberries?
πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜„

Oh yeah!

I gotta make some pine cone honey. Here's the recipe.

London Chef
Time for another Euell Gibbons Grape Nuts commercial.

πŸ˜„ Lol!

The only company who can take the main ingredients for cookie batter and turn it into tree bark.
© 24hourcampfire